HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Leahy--not good enough for the Rangers but fine for the Bruins

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2003, 08:11 PM
gg

vCash: 500
Pat Leahy--not good enough for the Rangers but fine for the Bruins

Leahy skates on home ice
By Jim McCabe, Globe Staff, 12/7/2003
Unlike many peers who grew up in local rinks and dreamed of collegiate glory in the spotlight of Hockey East, Pat Leahy couldn't wait to pack his hockey bag.
"I wanted the total college experience and I didn't think I'd get it being close to home. I wanted to go away," said Leahy, who chose to skate for the University of Miami-Ohio, where in his freshman year he played alongside older brother Tim.
College was a fulfilling experience, said Leahy, though he always felt that if the opportunity came to make his NHL debut, he'd consider Boston the perfect place.
Last night, with the Philadelphia Flyers in town, he got his wish because the 24-year-old from Duxbury via Boston College High School was wearing No. 55 for the Bruins, called up from Providence where he had nine goals and 17 points in 23 games.
"I'm thrilled to get the opportunity," said Leahy, a winger who signed as a free agent with the Bruins last summer. "Growing up here, being able to play my first game in the FleetCenter, it's exciting."
Leahy originally had been drafted by the New York Rangers, but never signed, so upon graduation in 2001 he headed to the minor leagues where he had a whirlwind tour, playing for Trenton in the East Coast Hockey League, then for three American Hockey League clubs (Hershey, Portland, and Bridgeport).
Leahy attended the Bruins' preseason camp in 2002 on a tryout agreement, then accepted a deal with Providence. He had 20 goals and 43 points in 66 games for the Baby B's in 2002-03 and impressed the Boston coaching staff at training camp this September. He obviously did nothing to persuade them he didn't deserve a chance because he got the call late Friday night, after Providence had tied visiting Wilkes-Barre, 2-2.
The ride up Interstate 95 took several hours, but that hardly bothered Leahy, whose biggest problem was alerting his family members.
"I tried calling everyone," he said. "But all I kept getting were answering machines."
His mother, smart woman that she is, has been in Hawaii on vacation, his grandmother is in California, and Tim is playing professionally in Germany, but Pat finally was able to contact his father, his other brother, his sister, and his girlfriend, so he did have a fan club for the game against the Flyers.
Leahy was one of four Bruins who made the pregame skate at 10:30 a.m., then he was at the FleetCenter a little more than two hours before the opening faceoff. In other words, he couldn't wait.
"Obviously, it will be real exciting," said Leahy before last night's game. "But hopefully I'll settle down out there and whatever opportunity comes, I'll try to help the team out in any way."

Old
12-08-2003, 11:37 PM
Edge

I dated a girl in HS who eventually went to miami of ohio and knew both leahy brothers. he is a good guy but I doubt he is more than a bubble player at the nhl level.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:41 PM
Adamx

Send a message via AIM to Adamx
Good for him, i would have liked to seen him play in Hartford the ast few seasons, rather than watching the Brad Mehalko's of the world.
I also met Pat a few years ago. I used to work for UMass Hockey, and I met him during his recruiting visit.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:48 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Good for him, i would have liked to seen him play in Hartford the ast few seasons, rather than watching the Brad Mehalko's of the world.
I also met Pat a few years ago. I used to work for UMass Hockey, and I met him during his recruiting visit.
to be honest with you, that he made it this far is a bit of surprise {not from a heart perspective, but from just a talent one}.

Honestly a few years ago he didnt even look like a solid AHL'er. but he's earned this callup.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:49 PM
Edge

having said that, mehalko is all of two years older. leahy has just come a little further. not something i'd lose sleep over.

Closed Thread