HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gerber as NHL.com 1st star

Old
02-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Skid

vCash: 500
Gerber as NHL.com 1st star

Goalie controversy in the making?

Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:20 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Well, if he gets two more shutouts in a row, you'd have a molecule that helps make up the microscopic cell which forms part of the embryo of a goaltending controversy in the making.

Winning like that against the Florida team we saw tonight is great to see but hardly conclusive of anything.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:39 PM
moz
Gute Post

I'm extremely happy for him and I could make comments like "it was only against Florida", "he only faced 28 shots", "Emery would have gotten a shutout too" or whatever else, but for as down as we were on him in November, he deserves props for doing well recently.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:41 PM
armani
Guy Likes

No controversy here. Emery was there for the team throughout the season and there is no way Gerber supercedes him as a starter in the playoffs.

What Gerber can do is play the best he can and earn himself some more starts in March and early April. We need both of the goalies at the top of their game to make any significant run in the post-season.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:43 AM
senility

I'm happy for him too. The crass materialist in me is also happy because he is slowly playing his way back to being a tradeable asset. It would make our lives much easier if we could trade him for something of moderate value in the offseason rather than having to pay for some other team to take him off our hands. The fact is that contract had better be gone by the draft or it's going to make re-signing our core players a lot more difficult. With him off the books, it opens up the possibility of re-signing Phillips and signing another UFA, be it Preissing, Comrie, or somebody else.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 05:38 AM
Sens4Cup

Frankly, this is ridiculous conjecture.

Gerber had a shutout and it's the first game he's played in like 6 weeks!

He's showing that he may be more deserving of a 3 year contract, but he has yet to show that the Sens should keep him around.

Emery is the No. 1 guy but Gerber is certainly a good backup, much better than Morrison last year.

I'm hoping Gerber plays well in the next 2 games because the Sens can't afford to lose ground, but also because Gerber is a quality goalie, and he seems to be over his slump. This is good for the Sens, and good if they want to trade him in the offseason.

But the only controversy is that Emery got suspended 3 games for hitting someone's visor. I mean how stupid is that? He didn't even hit the guy, and he gets 3 games!!! Next time he shoudl slash the guy like most other goalies do and he wouldn't get a minor for it.

Sens4Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Well, if he gets two more shutouts in a row, you'd have a molecule that helps make up the microscopic cell which forms part of the embryo of a goaltending controversy in the making.
Damn it NyQuil, I snorted hot coffee up my nose.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:39 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup View Post
Frankly, this is ridiculous conjecture.

Gerber had a shutout and it's the first game he's played in like 6 weeks!

He's showing that he may be more deserving of a 3 year contract, but he has yet to show that the Sens should keep him around.

Emery is the No. 1 guy but Gerber is certainly a good backup, much better than Morrison last year.

I'm hoping Gerber plays well in the next 2 games because the Sens can't afford to lose ground, but also because Gerber is a quality goalie, and he seems to be over his slump. This is good for the Sens, and good if they want to trade him in the offseason.

But the only controversy is that Emery got suspended 3 games for hitting someone's visor. I mean how stupid is that? He didn't even hit the guy, and he gets 3 games!!! Next time he shoudl slash the guy like most other goalies do and he wouldn't get a minor for it.
Like most goalies in the NHL, except for the Elite like Brodeur and maybe Luongo, most goalies willgo into a slump. Unfortunately Gerber went into his when the whole team stunk, which probably made him look even worse.
It would be a huge mistake to trade Gerber before the end of the season. As Senators fans, you would think we would have learned a few lessons about mediocre goaltending in the playoffs. I for one am not convinced that Emery is the one. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think that Gerber has to stay. Our chances of going deep into the playoffs depends on having solid goaltending.

This is what makes the Devils look very scary.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:45 AM
Savannah Skunk

Any potential goalie controversy in Ottawa has been eliminated by Emery's ability to shoulder the work load of a starting goaltender on an NHL team. He showed us last year when Hasek was injured, but management still was not entirely confident in him... hence the Gerber signing.

This year, Emery has proved his ability and stamina yet again. In hindsight, i think the Gerber signing was very smart. Management did not know that Gerber would struggle at the beginning of the season. In fairness to Gerber, the entire team struggled... which amplified his poor play... something management didn't expect either. However, had we not signed Gerber and had Emery started and slumped at the beginning of the year (or worse, was injured), we would be trying to earn a playoff spot with Guard in net.

Currently, there can be no doubt that Emery is going to be the starting goaltender for this club for several years to come, barring a trade for another netminder. However, this would be highly unlikely. The job position of number 1 netminder is no longer vacant... whether Gerber plays well or not. What we have is a perfect situation going into the playoffs, two quality goaltenders who can step up and play when and if necessary.

Look for Gerber to be played thereby increasing his trade value and any potential return for the Senators. Maybe the sens will move him in the offseason. What i would love to see is the sens management draft and groom or trade for a quality career backup goaltender to support Emery. If Emery continues to perform as he has this year and plays well in the playoffs, i can see a situation similar to New Jersey in which Brodeur has the number 1 position locked up indefinately. Bad news for goaltenders in our farm system.

Savannah Skunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:55 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah Skunk View Post
Any potential goalie controversy in Ottawa has been eliminated by Emery's ability to shoulder the work load of a starting goaltender on an NHL team. He showed us last year when Hasek was injured, but management still was not entirely confident in him... hence the Gerber signing.

This year, Emery has proved his ability and stamina yet again. In hindsight, i think the Gerber signing was very smart. Management did not know that Gerber would struggle at the beginning of the season. In fairness to Gerber, the entire team struggled... which amplified his poor play... something management didn't expect either. However, had we not signed Gerber and had Emery started and slumped at the beginning of the year (or worse, was injured), we would be trying to earn a playoff spot with Guard in net.

Currently, there can be no doubt that Emery is going to be the starting goaltender for this club for several years to come, barring a trade for another netminder. However, this would be highly unlikely. The job position of number 1 netminder is no longer vacant... whether Gerber plays well or not. What we have is a perfect situation going into the playoffs, two quality goaltenders who can step up and play when and if necessary.

Arent we jumping the gun here a bit. Yes Emery is playing well, but has proven nothing yet. There are many goalies in this league who have done exactly what Emery has done(in the regular season). When he can do this in the playoffs, thats when I will tip my hat off to him.

Look for Gerber to be played thereby increasing his trade value and any potential return for the Senators. Maybe the sens will move him in the offseason. What i would love to see is the sens management draft and groom or trade for a quality career backup goaltender to support Emery. If Emery continues to perform as he has this year and plays well in the playoffs, i can see a situation similar to New Jersey in which Brodeur has the number 1 position locked up indefinately. Bad news for goaltenders in our farm system.
Aren't we jumping the gun here a bit. As Sens fans, we have experienced this before. Until Emery proves himself in the playoffs, he has not secured anything. If and when he does, I will tip my hat off to him.

Last edited by billpo: 02-15-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old
02-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Chili

I remember that it was not that long ago that Jose Theodore was the league mvp. I would not make any long range plans for anyone.

Right now the Sens have two goalers playing well and that bodes well for this year's playoffs & I would leave it there.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
I remember that it was not that long ago that Jose Theodore was the league mvp. I would not make any long range plans for anyone.

Right now the Sens have two goalers playing well and that bodes well for this year's playoffs & I would leave it there.
Exactly. Emery is our starter, no question, but having Gerber in reserve if Emery falters is a very nice edge. In the offseason we may want to move him to free up cap space, but right now he should remain on the team.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 07:31 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post

agree.

Old
02-15-2007, 07:45 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Yeah, we want to have two decent goalies going into the playoffs so if Gerber can elevate his game, it'll be nice to see.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Savannah Skunk

True.

But Emery strikes me as a consistant goaltender. Yes, theodore blew a tire and has never regained his form as he had with the Habs. Nevertheless, i have a hunch that Emery will remain consistent. Consistency from year to year is the key. There are many goaltenders who provide that: Brodeur (the obvious one), Kolzig (if only he had some defence to help him out), Turco, Fernandez, Kiprusoff (though its still early for him), among others. That is what you need in a franchise goaltender - not necessarily Brodeur's phenomenal skill and talent, but consistency.

Last edited by Savannah Skunk: 02-15-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Savannah Skunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:07 AM
zenator

That's 2 great games in a row for Gerberbaby. 3-2 over Washington / 1st star.

It certainly will make him tradeable if he keeps it up. This looks like the Gerber we thought we were getting.

We'll probably keep him until the summer, then send him to Phoenix, LA, or one of the other goalie starved teams.

We need the extra salary room.

Gerber > Huet

zenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:14 AM
Brandi

There should be no negatives with his win last night . Not one. Not one excuse.

If you are making some, then you are reaching.

A shutout , is a shutout. Only positives out of this.

Great for Gerber. Turning out to be a win\win situation that I thought all along.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Papa Lazarou*

The Gerber baby may have shat his diaper earlier in the season but now he is girgling happily and suckling on the teat of a shutout win. Let's hope he can get through the next game without developing a nasty rash.

Papa Lazarou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Lazarou View Post
The Gerber baby may have shat his diaper earlier in the season but now he is girgling happily and suckling on the teat of a shutout win. Let's hope he can get through the next game without developing a nasty rash.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:03 PM
swisdan

Who's the next Ottawa opponent?

swisdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:08 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisdan View Post
Who's the next Ottawa opponent?
Atlanta on Saturday @ 3:00pm... Ottawa doesn't seem to play as well during the day though.

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:24 PM
senility

Afternoon game or not, we couldn't be getting the Thrashers at a better time. They are sinking like a stone and are ripe for the picking. Let's get it done Gerbs!

Old
02-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Gr8full

At first I was more worried about the Thrashers game but now it's the Oilers. Considering our success against western teams that's the game that will give us (and Gerber) our greatest challenge I think. Hopefully we can get 'er done.

Gr8full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:36 PM
discostu

I wonder what it would take for Gerber to erase all doubts in Ottawa fans.

If he plays nearly perfectly the next couple of games, even then, I think the temptation would be to give Emery the start against Buffalo. He's played well against them this season.

Gerber playing well for the next few games may make him see more action down the stretch though. But, to win the job outright, it would take a stumble by Emery upon his return. But, I think with the way Gerber started the season, and how quickly his confidence crumbled, he's going to have to play substantially better than Emery for a lengthy stretch before he's considered the starter.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:56 PM
senility

Barring a serious injury to Emery, I don't think Gerber will ever be the starter for this team again. I just hope he can regain his confidence and be ready if called upon. Then hopefully we can find him a good home in the offseason where he'll be looked after, fed well, played with, and given regular exercise. Emery is money and he's shown it time and again. He's not elite yet by any means, but it's so refreshing to have a staring goalie who's greatest strength is his mental toughness and consistency. Even against Buffalo last year, I thought he was about as good as you could have possibly expected (at least after that tragicomical first game), particularly considering he was a playoff rookie. I think he'll have a very strong playoffs and he alone is the reason why I'm just as confident going into this year's playoffs as I was last year, despite the loss of elite talents like Chara and Havlat.