HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So, I sent an email to Tom Leykis...

Old
02-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
So, I sent an email to Tom Leykis...

Quote:
So Tom,

My wife tells me she was listening to 97.1 and she heard a commercial or plug on the station about jumping on the Ducks' bandwagon because the Kings aren't do so well...

...there was then an invitation to meet at National Sports Grill to root for the Ducks.

We loyal & die-hard Kings fan prefer the tar and feather method of torture for Duck bandwagon fans. How hot do you prefer the tar? Duck feathers Tom. Duck feathers.
Anyone else hear this?

Here is Tom's email address: tom@blowmeuptom.com

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Anyone else hear this?
Hey, Zad, did you remember to ask them which team in the NHL has the worst record over the last 10 games?

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24 View Post
Hey, Zad, did you remember to ask them which team in the NHL has the worst record over the last 10 games?
Good idea...I posted his email address in my initial post...do it!!

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:08 AM
Capn Brown

Maybe Tom doesn't Leykis?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:21 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Anyone else hear this?

Here is Tom's email address: tom@blowmeuptom.com
Dude. People in California are the biggest Band wagoners in the US. I thought everyone knew that by now.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Kingswin

Give me Kings or give me..........uhhhh...ducks in the playoffs? come on you know you guys are guilty.

let me have it.

Kingswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Dude. People in California are the biggest Band wagoners in the US. I thought everyone knew that by now.
Exactly.

Perfect example, my family has had Angels season tickets for quite awhile, pretty much every year we have lived in SoCal.

In 2002, my parents were living back east and I went ahead and bought 4 playoff tickets to all the games without any hassle, figuring I could maybe sell the extra two for a little extra cash.

By the time the World Series rolled around I was able to sell my two extra tickets for 15 times face value without any kind of hassle.

It was funny, because the place was totally empty until about August, and then in October, everyone had Angels flags on their car.

The same thing can be said for USC, you never saw SC flags or people sporting SC gear when Paul Hackett was coaching, suddenly you win a couple of National Championships, and everyone and their brother is an SC alum, pretty funny.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Kopistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
No, thats only Ducks, Angels. and USC fans.

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:11 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTheBrick View Post
Kings, Dodgers, and Lakers fans are not bandwagon.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Malice430

Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Kings, Dodgers, and Lakers fans are not bandwagon.
well, kings and dodgers fans at least. The lakers were the ultimate bandwagon team 7 years ago. Once that first championship was won, half the people in my office building showed up with Lakers stuff, even people who didnt like basketball. I, for one, wasnt one of them cuz i hate basketball with a passion. (bunch of overpaid guys)

Kings fans are true kings fans cuz theres no wagon to jump onto. All the kings fans who jumped to the ducks wagon in '03 are like the people who jumped off the titanic before it sank, and the rest of us are the ones freezing in the water

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Mateo

Um, I'm pretty sure Tom's team preference has nothing to do with the radio station's ad department ready to latch on to the marketability of the Ducks. They are currently better than the Kings, and I'm sure that is attractive to 97.1's higher-ups.

Ask Tom and I bet he'd say "I can't control what I can't control. If they want me to go and do a remote out in OC to meet listeners, I'll do it."

Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTheBrick View Post
I live 4 miles from the stadium currently, and have been going to Angel games since Joe Rudi was here. I used to be able to walk up on any weekday and get tickets anywhere for cheap, and Tuesdays were great because tix were free if you brought canned food.

Ever since 2002 though its been impossible to get tickets easily, because everyone is now an Angels fan. I guess I shouldn't complain, because it's great for the team. All the revenue means more capital for the roster, but I miss being able to walk up and get tickets. I don't even mind the raised ticket prices, but man, getting them 2nd hand is way more pricey than it used to be. There are good deals to be had on Ebay, I guess. There are a lot of long time fans that go still, you can tell from their gear. But there is definitely a lot of new blood there.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Exactly.

Perfect example, my family has had Angels season tickets for quite awhile, pretty much every year we have lived in SoCal.

In 2002, my parents were living back east and I went ahead and bought 4 playoff tickets to all the games without any hassle, figuring I could maybe sell the extra two for a little extra cash.

By the time the World Series rolled around I was able to sell my two extra tickets for 15 times face value without any kind of hassle.

It was funny, because the place was totally empty until about August, and then in October, everyone had Angels flags on their car.

The same thing can be said for USC, you never saw SC flags or people sporting SC gear when Paul Hackett was coaching, suddenly you win a couple of National Championships, and everyone and their brother is an SC alum, pretty funny.
Nothing against the Angels and their fans, but before 2002, I wasn't even aware the Angels had fans...this from an outsider of course. Same thing for the Ducks. There was the Paul Kariya Gravy train and then the movies, but the late 90's/early 00's they were few and far between. I still hear "Lets Go Kings" chants dominate their rink.

Anyone remember Cuba Gooding Jr who was at Kings games and then all of a sudden "I'M GETTING GIGGY WITH IT BABY!!!!!!1!!!11111!!!1!!!"

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Nothing against the Angels and their fans, but before 2002, I wasn't even aware the Angels had fans...
The Angels were kind of like the Kings in the Forum days. You could easily walk down and sit behind the plate a few innings in. You could park for free and get $4 outfield tickets, it was a good time and it wasn't expensive.

The Angels rarely won anything and their fans were mostly a hardcore contingent from OC. They got very little press and didn't generate too much interest - much like the Kings.

Winning changed that of course, but I'm sure the massive amount of housing built in south OC has contributed. Not only are the Angels successful, but they have a much larger base to draw from than they did pre-2000.

Old
02-15-2007, 01:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
The Angels were kind of like the Kings in the Forum days. You could easily walk down and sit behind the plate a few innings in. You could park for free and get $4 outfield tickets, it was a good time and it wasn't expensive.

The Angels rarely won anything and their fans were mostly a hardcore contingent from OC. They got very little press and didn't generate too much interest - much like the Kings.

Winning changed that of course, but I'm sure the massive amount of housing built in south OC has contributed. Not only are the Angels successful, but they have a much larger base to draw from than they did pre-2000.
I don't think moving from LA to OC has much to do with it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are fans of the Kings and Angels, and Dodgers and Ducks. In a 2-market town you're not compromised.

Old
02-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't think moving from LA to OC has much to do with it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are fans of the Kings and Angels, and Dodgers and Ducks. In a 2-market town you're not compromised.

I don't think its so much people migrating south from LA, but rather people moving here from other parts of the country. You used to see many fans from other teams at the staduim. They are much more rare now, but I think one reason is a lot of those have adopted the Angels as their '2nd' team, swelling the wagon.

Old
02-15-2007, 01:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
I don't think its so much people migrating south from LA, but rather people moving here from other parts of the country. You used to see many fans from other teams at the staduim. They are much more rare now, but I think one reason is a lot of those have adopted the Angels as their '2nd' team, swelling the wagon.
Well thats definitely true. No doubts about that.

Old
02-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

There are alot of Kings fans in OC. I'd say as far as true legit hockey fans go, its about 50/50 with Kings/Ducks and there are also alot of Dodger fans in OC, although not nearly as many Angels fans.

You'd have to ask the LA posters here, but I am pretty positive that the Ducks and Angels don't have much of a serious following in LA.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
There are alot of Kings fans in OC. I'd say as far as true legit hockey fans go, its about 50/50 with Kings/Ducks and there are also alot of Dodger fans in OC, although not nearly as many Angels fans.

You'd have to ask the LA posters here, but I am pretty positive that the Ducks and Angels don't have much of a serious following in LA.
<--------------------Dodger fan in OC. But forever in debt to the Angels for beating the Giants in the World Series

Old
02-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by Malice430
well, kings and dodgers fans at least. The lakers were the ultimate bandwagon team 7 years ago. Once that first championship was won, half the people in my office building showed up with Lakers stuff, even people who didnt like basketball. I, for one, wasnt one of them cuz i hate basketball with a passion. (bunch of overpaid guys)
Their 1st Championship as the LA Lakers was in 1972. If you are talking about their 1st championship in the "Shaq" era, then yes, there were a lot of bandwagoners. The flags were annoying.

Same goes for USC. A very good friend of mine graduated from USC and even he hates all the bandwagoners.

Dave in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Fat Elvis

Angel and King fan. Had many years of watching bad teams. Now I only root for 1 bad team, it's during hockey season

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 04:49 PM
dabeechman

Im only a fan on one sport which is hockey. Ive always been a kings fan because they are local and the mighty ducks movie was embarassing to people who really play the game. Those two things combined made me be a kings fan, even though the kings are horrible, but there is hope!

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 05:21 PM
took420s

Who cares...Tom is a fat tool

took420s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Malice430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in LA View Post
Their 1st Championship as the LA Lakers was in 1972. If you are talking about their 1st championship in the "Shaq" era, then yes, there were a lot of bandwagoners. The flags were annoying.

Same goes for USC. A very good friend of mine graduated from USC and even he hates all the bandwagoners.
yea, i was talking about the 1st of ther 3-peat

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
Angel and King fan. Had many years of watching bad teams.
+1.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote