HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Rangers make the playoffs...

Old
02-15-2007, 11:46 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
To be perfectly honest, I want the Isles to make it along with us. As much as we hate them, they're our rival, and it's good for both rivals to BE good. Think of how insane the metro area would be if the Rangers and Isles met in the playoffs, with the Devils there too? I think it's good for New York (and New Jesey and CT) in general if all 3 teams make it.
Couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately last year Jagr got hurt and Lundqvist was off his game. If we had been competitive against the Devils, it would have been a reminder of how intense playoff hockey can be.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Do you have a problem with me?Voice of reason BS?

So you would have no problem with the Rangers trading away their first round pick for a quality player rental?
If he were a Scott Hannan type of defender, then no. Problem is, the only Scott Hannan is not up for sale presumably.

Old
02-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Fletch

I agree witih Rangerboy's sentiments...

regarding how things have changed after two good wins against teams who really weren't that great, but I disagree about the playoffs. This team is flawed, but is streaky. I think Jagr and Lundqvist will be there in the end, despite what kind of cockamanie coaching happens to transpire from now until the end, and that will be the difference. Furher, the opposition really isn't that strong. The Rangers had been losing, but had been losing by a goal. I think that turns around a bit and the Rangers make it, most likely only to be embarassed in the first round and we'll be in the same place as we were at the end of last season, except youngsters will be one year older.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

remember what happened to this Ranger team last year. It was the exact opposite of what is happening now this year. They completely fell apart towards the end after going gangbusters the first 3/4 of the season.

No one can see a great stretch run? What are we? 2-0-1 in the last three, right?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:20 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I happen to agree. For those who can remember back to the 1996-97 through 2003-044 seasons you will probably see a lot of similarities between this team and those.
There is one substantial difference. We did not have a competent and competitive goaltender those years ( no offense to Mike Richter and his fans, but Lundqvist is in different class when is on). On the less important factors: 1. Our current coach is better than one on my avatar; 2. There is genuine desire to make it on part of current veterans (except those from Carolina last year squad may be, but they are not a problem).

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Fletch

It's amazing though..

that the coach in your avatar has gotten further in the playoffs as a coach than the Rangers current coach, and seemed to last longer in this league. Weird things happen.

Old
02-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
remember what happened to this Ranger team last year. It was the exact opposite of what is happening now this year. They completely fell apart towards the end after going gangbusters the first 3/4 of the season.

No one can see a great stretch run? What are we? 2-0-1 in the last three, right?
I could see them going on a great stretch of winning six in seven or something like that...I can also see them losing six of seven.

Some positive factors:

1. Games in hand. The Rangers are finally in a position where they have played less than the teams in front of them. In the past, they were the ones who had played two or three more games. They need to win these games.

2. Home games - The Rangers need to establish home ice advantage. If they don't, they'll be golfing in April.

3. Goal differential - I like to look at this stat because it's a good barometer of how the team is winning (blowouts or close games).

Atlanta -7
Pitt +22
Ott +24
TB +8
Car -6
Mon -7

Tor -4
NYI +5
NYR +3

Except for Pittsburgh and Ottawa, there isn't a team that stands out. Whichever way you look it, anything can happen.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I want them to beat out the Devils, but that aint gonna happen lol. Out of the more likley teams that can be knocked out I would have to go with Carolina, just because of the trash talking I heard from some fans that I work with who bashed the Rangers and rooted for the Canes. Yeah i'm petty, but what are you gonna do

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:33 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
that the coach in your avatar has gotten further in the playoffs as a coach than the Rangers current coach, and seemed to last longer in this league. Weird things happen.
I wouldn't put Ron on should I dislike him. He was and is a fine hockey man.

Old
02-15-2007, 01:47 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It's amazing how the attitudes towards the Rangers have changed after two good games.Before the two game winning streak,it was Tom Renney blows,the Rangers suck and sell off every asset.Now we are talking about playoffs and which teams are going to fall out of the race.I can't wait for the Keith Tkachuk and Bill Guerin trade proposal threads to the Rangers.Lets trade a 1st round pick or good young players for one of those rentals because the Rangers are only one player away from having a deep playoff run
I had confidence in the team before those two games. Sure the atmosphere was definitely low before those two wins, but as a fan you know with this Rangers team this year the talent is there, they just needed to wake up. And I'm not gonna say this guy is the reason the ship has turned a little bit, but Sean Avery has definitely been a difference maker out there. He's had at least a point each of his first few games as a ranger so far, but thats nowhere near as important as how much more energy and HEART he has added to this team. He's made the second line tougher and harder to play against and has already drawn some PP's for this team. He hustles every shift, stands in front of the net, throws his body around, stirs up the other team to get his team going, and basically just does ALL the dirty work that no one was doing before he came here.

I'm also not gonna say I want Tkachuk or Guerin after two games but maybe after a good winning streak which could be 5 after this weekend I might be saying yes go add another north american, go add Guerin who will add even more grit to this team and scoring ability. But make sure you dont give up the future for him.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:02 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

This team hasn't shown the consistency that it showed last year, and it hasn't won the big games that they've needed to win. We've lost every game this season to the Islanders. We've beaten the Devils here and there, but we're still very vulnerable against them. Pittsburgh has given us a hard time, and will keep on doing so with the way Crosby, Malkin, and Staal are playing. We lost big time to Toronto earlier on this year. I don't like the way things look, but this team is a bit different from the team earlier on this year. So I don't know, they're a real wildcard. I'd say Montreal, Carolina, and the Islanders don't make it if the Rangers do. I can't see Atlanta freefalling with the offensive weapons they have, and the goaltending they get from Lehtonen. Someone mentioned Washington making a push. Whoever that was is very optimistic, to say the least.

As long as they don't go mortgaging the future for a quick fix, I'll be happy. If they give up our top young assets, and we make the playoffs, I'll still be pissed. There is no reason why this team should be trading it's youth. This current team is not built to win, and is nowhere close to the cup, therefore there is no reason to trade youth for a shot at the cup that we really don't have.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Fletch

Montreal's situation got a bit bleaker...

Kovalev's out three weeks with an elbow injury. Their depth ain't the greatest either. I think Huet may be hurt too. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a move or two. The pressure for them to make the playoffs is intense, I'd guess.

Old
02-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Larry Melnyk

Not only will this team make it into the POs, but it will also win at least one round...Well, unless they lose tonight and all then all bets are off..

But seriously, I think this team already has the players to MAKE the POs given the proper handling by the coach AND no injuries to the top 5 players.....However, if it wants to do anything of substance in the POs, it will need an upgrade, at the least, on defense..where one player can make a hell of a difference.

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
There is one substantial difference. We did not have a competent and competitive goaltender those years ( no offense to Mike Richter and his fans, but Lundqvist is in different class when is on). On the less important factors: 1. Our current coach is better than one on my avatar; 2. There is genuine desire to make it on part of current veterans (except those from Carolina last year squad may be, but they are not a problem).
With all due respect 94...I also remember hearing in each of those years (particularly the latter ones) how different the current team was from those that had gone before. The reality as far as I can see though is, while the Rangers may have improved in some areas between years, they have weakened in others...the opposition and league has also changed and yet the results are still very similar.

Expecting a team to suddenly turn around a season where they've struggled AND expect three or four other teams to continue at the same level without improvement is optimistic. Which is fine, I just think you have to look at their chances realistically and in doing so the odds (and history) suggest they're more likely to miss out than they are to make it.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Fish

Quote:
Kovalev's out three weeks with an elbow injury. Their depth ain't the greatest either. I think Huet may be hurt too. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a move or two. The pressure for them to make the playoffs is intense, I'd guess.
Huet had to be helped off the ice last night, it looked at the time as if it was a leg or groin problem...kind of weird injury because it wasn't really apparently what he'd done. Of course Aebischer is their backup, and he has shown in the past that he's capable of both being a starter and a decent one at that.

Old
02-16-2007, 08:35 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Huet had to be helped off the ice last night, it looked at the time as if it was a leg or groin problem...kind of weird injury because it wasn't really apparently what he'd done. Of course Aebischer is their backup, and he has shown in the past that he's capable of both being a starter and a decent one at that.
Huet has quadriceps injury. He should be out for some time. Kovalev's injury is less worrisome. There's speculation that he fakes it is response to benching. I doubt that, but in any case Montreal looks much worse then Rangers at this point.
Speaking of NYR chances, being anything but optimist over the years, I learned not to count on determination of the players. I rather look at the key performers play. If Jagr and Lundqvist play solid, this team is better that many. We have that plus some other good things happening. Among those are Ortmeyer surprising return, Girardi solid break in the NHL. Tyutin improvement and Malik-Rozy being back to last year level. Avery made Shanahan happy and Cullen no longer looks like complete failure. We have depth everywhere, but goaltending. The MTL and CAR do not. I think we will make it this time.

Old
02-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Fletch

Kovalev is out three weeks, that's a while to fake things. Kovalev has been known to feign a penalty here and there, but he hasn't been known to want to sit out. The way he puts it is he basically says he's playing like crap of late and not helping the team and someone else can give them a better chance. Make sense actually as he was playing really well up until about a month ago, and he was a bit reason why they were in a playoff spot. I'd guess he'd want to get back on the ice. That wasn't his first benching off a turnover he's had in his career.

Old
02-16-2007, 09:23 AM
94now

Quote:
Kovalev is out three weeks, that's a while to fake things. Kovalev has been known to feign a penalty here and there, but he hasn't been known to want to sit out. The way he puts it is he basically says he's playing like crap of late and not helping the team and someone else can give them a better chance. Make sense actually as he was playing really well up until about a month ago, and he was a bit reason why they were in a playoff spot. I'd guess he'd want to get back on the ice. That wasn't his first benching off a turnover he's had in his career.
Yeah, just imagine Jagr (and Kovy is MTL's Jagr) saying something like that... Montreal is not making it, IMO.

Old
02-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Fletch

There's teams..

such as the Isles, Toronto and the Rangers who are winning while Montreal can't figure out a way to win. If they were healthy, I may've thought differently (and actually did think differently). I'd be surprised if they don't make some move for a playoff push though. That may sway my thinking somewhat. They should be the ones targeting Gary Roberts - he's the type of player they seem to be lacking.

Old
02-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Ola

Quote:
In Carolina Jason Williams and Hedican joined Eric Cole and Corey Stillman on their IR last night.

We got 8 of our 9 next games on home ice. I think the back to back games against NJD are extremely important.

I don't usually say that, very few games are as important as people make them out to be, 2pts are 2pts, no matter what night you win them on. Though I do think playing NJD have a big mental impact on this team. We are positive now, but two straight losses against them would take away allot of hope and joy from this team. Though if we can beat Philly and Chi, and comeaway with atleast 2pts against NJD I feel that we can take this positive streak with us for the rest of the way.

The two homegames this weekend won't be easy though. No teams are pushovers in this league, Chicago are looking better and better, and a young Philly team will be hungry playin in the world most famous arena, they are tough games. Though I am a bit concerned about Chi.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:41 AM
94now

Quote:
such as the Isles, Toronto and the Rangers who are winning while Montreal can't figure out a way to win.
Everyone here would know my answer - STRONG GOALTENDING. DiPietro, Raycroft and Lundqvist are hot. Neither of the three has a an outstanding defense. MTL will use Abisher who is no Huet at this point. Cam Ward is nothing special either. Holmqvist/ Denis are playing solid, but nothing like Brodeur, DiPietro, Lundqvist or Raycroft.

Old
02-16-2007, 09:56 AM
ThirdEye

We should win the next two games. If we don't the Rangers don't want to be in a playoffs

Philly and Chicago can be pretty competitive on a good night, but I think we are the better team and considering the circumstances right now the Rangers should be putting in 150% to get that every last point they need. Look what the Pittsburgh did, I think the Rangers are more than capable of achieving a similar feat if they just put their mind to it. More importantly, Jagr and Lundqvist ARE this team. If they don't show up we lose, period. Thankfully they've been great as of late so I'm not really worried

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:13 AM
Fletch

Agree 94...

the goalies, at worst, are keeping them in the games.

Old
02-16-2007, 11:11 AM
94now

Quote:
the goalies, at worst, are keeping them in the games.
As of today TOR, NYR and NYI will be in while MTL, CAR and TB/ATL will be out.

Old
02-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Fish

For those who are interested, I've created a page to track the "Magic Numbers" for the Rangers to eliminate other teams, the max points, max wins and games remaining against each of the eastern conference teams.

Enjoy...or not
http://www.outsidethegarden.com/playoff-picture.asp