HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Forsberg Traded to Nashville

Old
02-15-2007, 08:37 PM
JayMan82

vCash: 500
I guess they're making up for the last time they traded Forsberg, huh???

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I'm happy the Rangers didnt get him, I dont like that Philly got alot in return but atleast for the moment i'm happy he isnt in Ranger blue!

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
With NYR restocking the youth..Pitts with all the studs...Flyers with all these nice young players & Lou still running the Devils and how he always finds gems in the draft.... the Islanders must be scared for the years ahead....

I know the Fishsticks have some good prospects but I would place them last in our division when it comes to prospects/young studs... any thoughts on my order?

1. Pitts
2. NYR
3. Philly (maybe 2nd now after that trade...?)
4. Devils
5. Islanders
After 2007 draft it is safe to say that NYR will be slightly after Flyers in terms of talent. Depends who we pick in our 1st round. I also do not think Flyers are done dealing (well I hope we trade a few more players (Calder, Sanderson, Esche, maybe Hatcher, maybe York).

Last edited by Kaktus*: 02-15-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 08:59 PM
frozenrubber

Nashville

If I were Nashville, I wouldn't dress Forsberg for 10 games. The team is still rolling and didn't anything on their roster (more than enough wings to take Upshall's icetime).

While great steps have been taken to resolve his foot issue, this is the last chance you'll get to rest him prior to playoffs. Much more progress can be made when he isn't chomping at the bit to get back in games. 14 games should be more than enough to get him acclimated to his linemates (hell, Petr could play w/ a donkey).

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 09:01 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I hope he signs somewhere out west (maybe with Nashville) during the summer. The Rangers have enough talented centers to deal with in the east with guys like Crosby, Staal, Spezza, Sundin, Jokinen. Especially with the Rangers being sort of weak at center in terms of offense.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Yeah, i got word that the Predators were really close to getting Forsberg yesterday, i posted it on my blog (scroll down to yesterdays topics)

Predators overpaid, but you have to believe theyre going to go deep in the playoffs now.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 09:27 PM
McDonagh27

Come on guys.. lets not overrate the deal on the Flyers end.. It hardly scares me that they got a defensive defenceman and a 3rd liner at best in Scotty Upshall.. The first round pick is gonna be worst than ours..

I'm hardly shaking in my boots...

Flyers still ripped Nashville off though IMO. Forsberg won't re-sign with them

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 09:35 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Yeah, i got word that the Predators were really close to getting Forsberg yesterday, i posted it on my blog (scroll down to yesterdays topics)

Predators overpaid, but you have to believe theyre going to go deep in the playoffs now.
While many will contend the rental aspect of this acquisition (which no one actually knows until July), the key aspect is who wasn't traded.

Philadelphia did not get Radulov, Suter, or Weber.

Parent is indeed a very good prospect, but a level below those listed above. Believe me, watching the Staal-Parent pairing made me dream of having this guy, but he won't be a franchise player. Top 2 is his real ceiling and top 4 more realistic.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 10:01 PM
dank

Quote:
Nashville Predators Executive Vice President/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has acquired forward Peter Forsberg (PEE-tuhr FOHRS-buhrg) from the Philadelphia Flyers for forward Scottie Upshall, defenseman Ryan Parent and Nashville’s first-round and third-round selections in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.
hahaha,

looks like they do need help educating proper hockey fans..

and people who can read..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 10:46 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I'm just glad he's out of the East and not on our team. He's a great player, and a playoff rental. it makes sense for Nashville to get him since they have a legit shot at winning the cup now, but it wouldn't have made sense for us to get him. Sign him in the offseason if we really want him, but I am very happy we didn't move Prucha or prospects for him. Good job Sather. Man, over the last two weeks the guy is looking like a genius...it'll probably last another 4 hours before it's good old Slats again.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 11:39 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Earlier this week, a certain hockey blogger posted

Quote:
Nashville has offered a 1st rounder, a 4th or 5th rounder and one of Ryan Parent or Cody Franson.
and I guess the deal we see before us was the acceptable counter offer. I agree with whoever said, Nashville did good in not trading Suter, Weber, or Radulov. They have an interesting lineup now. I'm sure they'll try Kariya with Forsberg. If PK can play with a Finn, he can play with a Swede Down the middle, they have Forsberg, Arnott, Legwand, and Nichols. That's some crazy and enviable depth. Not to mention their blue line. Suter, Weber, Klein, Hamhuis, Zidlicky, Timmonen, Vishnevski.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
I know the Fishsticks have some good prospects but I would place them last in our division when it comes to prospects/young studs... any thoughts on my order?

1. Pitts
2. NYR
3. Philly (maybe 2nd now after that trade...?)
4. Devils
5. Islanders
Other than the fact that it's the Islanders, I'm not sure I understand their last place ranking. You could easily argue that they have better forward prospects than the Rangers. Okposo, O'Marra, Nokelainen and Nilsson are a pretty good start and then throw in Tambellini, Comeau and Joensuu (and that's without going out on a limb too much). Heck, I think there'd be plenty of people who would argue that Okposo is better than anyone in the Rangers system. They are thinner on D but have Campoli.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
They have an interesting lineup now. I'm sure they'll try Kariya with Forsberg. If PK can play with a Finn, he can play with a Swede Down the middle, they have Forsberg, Arnott, Legwand, and Nichols. That's some crazy and enviable depth. Not to mention their blue line. Suter, Weber, Klein, Hamhuis, Zidlicky, Timmonen, Vishnevski.
And throw in two goalies who are both playing like studs. DOUBLE

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:14 AM
MrAlfie

im curious to know what other teams offered to philly.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 04:53 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The medical report on Ryan Parent

Quote:
Originally Parent thought he was dealing with a groin injury, but it was really a disc pushing against a nerve that caused soreness in that area.

"The doctors have said when the symptoms go away, he can play again," said Dave Barr, who is coach and general manager of the Storm." But that could be two weeks ..or longer. We really don’t know because every body is different."
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=18170&rfi=6

A 19 year old kid with a bulging disk.No wonder why Nashville didn't hesitate in moving him

Just thankful Forsberg didn't come to the Rangers.Truthfully,the Rangers alleged interest was overstated.They were not going to pay the asking price and Forsberg wanted to go to a contender

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:21 AM
Ola

I am not so sure that this is a great trade for Philly, the quantity isn't important, I kind of get the feeling that this might be a rookie GM misstake...

I mean, Id take one really good prospect, over 2 good ones and one 28-30th overall first round pick and a 58-60th overall 2nd round pick. Upshall haven't impressed much lately, and Partent also got allot left to prove.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I am not so sure that this is a great trade for Philly, the quantity isn't important, I kind of get the feeling that this might be a rookie GM misstake...
I am not sure... A mistake? Here is example of mistake..

Boston Bruins traded 26 year old Joe Thornton to the San Jose Sharks for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau.

Flyers have a shot, cap space and money to sign Peter Forsberg just like any other team. If he wants to play next season.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:32 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I am not sure... A mistake? Here is example of mistake..

Boston Bruins traded 26 year old Joe Thornton to the San Jose Sharks for Marco Sturm, Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau.

Flyers have a shot, cap space and money to sign Peter Forsberg just like any other team. If he wants to play next season.
I think it was a great return for Philly and I'd be jacked about the new young guys going Richards, cARTER, pITKANEN, etc but Philly fans are kidding themselves if they think Forsberg re-ups after the season.

Just isn't going to happen.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:24 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9 View Post
I think it was a great return for Philly and I'd be jacked about the new young guys going Richards, cARTER, pITKANEN, etc but Philly fans are kidding themselves if they think Forsberg re-ups after the season.

While I do think it's a distinct possibility that he re-signs in Philly, it's not something I want to happen. I would prefer if he signed somewhere else.

I'd much prefer to spend the money on Gomez/Briere/Drury ... plus fill the other holes we have with $25 million or so in cap room.

Forsberg is worth $4-6 million if you have a very good team around him. One where you can miss him for 25-30 regular season games, and still make the playoffs without a problem. You're paying him for the playoffs.

Last year, when we picked him up, we had that type of team. With Primeau, Desjardins, Johnsson, Handzus, no longer here, we don't have that luxury.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Philly fans are kidding themselves if they think Forsberg re-ups after the season.

I imagine the market for Forsberg's services next year will hinge on his health over the next few months, so it's hardly worth discussing right now. Preds win a cup on Petr's miraculously healed foot, you'll have 1/2 the league throwing serious money at him next July. He could just easily have proven that his career is over by that time however and have few, if any, offers to choose from.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

I mean, Id take one really good prospect, over 2 good ones and one 28-30th overall first round pick and a 58-60th overall 2nd round pick. Upshall haven't impressed much lately, and Partent also got allot left to prove.
Considering it's for a 34 year old center with a TON of miles on his body and is a FA, I don't know what the expectation would be.

I certainly wouldn't have traded that for PF right now.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Ah, pittsburgh is only going to be good for a few years. Once Crosby, Malik, Staal, etc. get into their mid 20's they're going to be wanting A LOT of money and then the team is going to break apart. That's IF Pittsburgh even stays put. Heck, they could be out of the division in a few years.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:04 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrstrakanylander View Post
Come on guys.. lets not overrate the deal on the Flyers end.. It hardly scares me that they got a defensive defenceman
A defensive defenseman who is as well liked as our best prospect: Marc Staal. If you're saying you wouldn't worry about Parent, you're saying the same of Staal.

Quote:
and a 3rd liner at best in Scotty Upshall..
MA Cliche.

Quote:
The first round pick is gonna be worst than ours..
Except one thing: the Flyers use their first rounders, even very late ones, far better than the Rangers use theirs. See Giroux and Downie.

The Flyers got a fine haul for their player.

And thank heaven Sather stayed out of it.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:15 PM
shoothepuck

Good thing he didn't land in NY, the Flyers made out on this deal.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:21 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I think it was a great return for Philly
A GREAT move for Philly. To have a young core of Gagne, Pitkanen, Parent, Richards, Carter & Umberger (not even mentioning Downie or Eager) is something to salivate. That is as good of a core of players as any team in the league without Crosby, Malkin & Staal.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote