HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pick 6 teams for NHL Contraction

View Poll Results: Pick 6 teams to contract
Pittsburgh 170 76.92%
Washington 110 49.77%
NY Islanders 56 25.34%
Carolina 186 84.16%
Florida 167 75.57%
Phoenix 150 67.87%
Anaheim 149 67.42%
Buffalo 95 42.99%
Edmonton 23 10.41%
Calgary 43 19.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2003, 09:14 PM
Other Dave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton
It is abundantly clear that there isn't enough talent to fill 30 rosters.
There's so much talent in the league right now that great players like Adam Oates and Stumpy Thomas couldn't find jobs until two months into the season.

Other Dave

Old
12-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Why Florida is there but Tampa isin't ?

Old
12-11-2003, 03:33 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
One difference.

It is realistic to suggest many of the teams in the South for contraction.

Mentioning all the Canadian teams is ridiculous.
You really hit the nail on the head there. What would really solve all the NHLís problems would be to make it a regional league with teams only in Canada and other places you approve of.

People talk about cities ďdeserving teams.Ē I donít understand what that means. Sorry if Raleigh, NC isnít the hockey hotbed that Winnipeg, Hartford, or Quebec is, but eventually hockey will catch on with us. It has everything that appeals to southerns; drinking, fighting, people missing teeth, and things going around in a circle. If someone can figure out a way to integrate throwing chicken bones and whittling into the game the southern teams will sell out every game.

Old
12-11-2003, 05:38 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton
It is abundantly clear that there isn't enough talent to fill 30 rosters.

If I could, I'd have 10 teams dropped down to the AHL. A good place to start might be those teams that can't fill more than 80% of the seats in their arenas.
I'm tired of hearing this dilution of talent argument. No one was complaining in the 80s when there were 21 teams. Since then, 9 teams were added, but a large number of highly skilled Europeans came in to the league. The Europeans easily make up for the increased number of teams.

Old
12-11-2003, 12:09 PM
hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy3650
I'm tired of hearing this dilution of talent argument. No one was complaining in the 80s when there were 21 teams. Since then, 9 teams were added, but a large number of highly skilled Europeans came in to the league. The Europeans easily make up for the increased number of teams.
It's a bit of revisionist history to say no one was complaining about 21 teams in the 80's, though that actually represented a contraction from the mid to late 70's when the NHL and WHA had as many as 32 teams calling themselves 'major league'.

I would agree with your argument that there has been an influx of talented Europeans into the league since the early 90s. We have the fall of the iron curtain and the collapse of Eastern European economies to thank for that.

I don't know how old you are but I grew up during the seventies and the drastic expansion of the NHL and the appearance of the WHA made for some of the worst hockey I've seen. Despite there being some great teams in those years, overall the quality of play was pretty miserable.

I don't believe that there has ever been some 'golden age' of ice hockey that we need to recapture. The NHL has always been run by a bunch of lazy boobs and flatheads who never saw a get rich quick scheme that they didn't like or some way of bilking money out of fans that they wouldn't try. The owners of the NHL have always perpetrated the myth that whatever they throw out on the ice is the best that hockey can be.

The expansion in the 90's was completely unnecessary (and I'm a Senators fan), it was just designed to line the owners pockets. The owners then turned around and blew the money on a series of stupid contracts to players which only served to blast salaries through the stratosphere.

In the early days of pro hockey (before I was born) leagues would start up, thrive, stagnate and die. Another league would appear and the players would move to that one and the cycle would continue. The markets where teams could make a go of things would continue to have quality hockey, the markets that were too small or run poorly would fade.

The NHL has always gotten by on collusion, mendacity and its old boys network. Despite their claims to the contrary, they don't hold the patent on hockey. If the league is sick it will either get well or it will die. Either way hockey will go on.

Old
12-11-2003, 12:36 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

When I think of the word contraction, I always think of it in the sense that baseball was talking about in that they would buy out the weak franchises, giving them their franchise value back. But of course that cant work in Hockey. Everyone is broke.

Hockey just needs to let the market correct itself. Why is a market correction not a good answer? Even if we found a way to get every team $15mil more in TV money, how would anything change? The market always corrects itself. Why not just let it.

I dont think any of these teams need to fold. If they develop a winner, they will find a way to generate winners revenues, even if it means moving somewhere where they can. Or just fold like Colorado, and try 10 years later when everything is in place. Why do all teams need to have constant sellouts in order to be succesful? Movie theatres dont need this. Does it really bother you that Pit will spend a few years where you can easily beat them like you used to be able to do against Ottawa? If they dont want to fold, why would we contract them?

Old
12-12-2003, 08:26 AM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinghorse
...Calgary do well this season now that they are winning but both them and Edmonton basically had to hold a gun to the head of fans to buy tickets with the threat they they would move if people didnt buy season tickets...
Hasn't Edmonton had about a 98% capacity for the last 5 years? That's what i seem to recall...

Anyways, that fact about Calgary is wrong. Calgary's attendance is DOWN from last year. The last two years they were averaging about 94% capacity at the Dome. This year it's down to about 91-92%. In the 7 years they've missed the playoffs, they've only used the whole "We're gonna move this team if we don't get 14000 season tickets" campaign once.

The fact of the matter is, the support for the NHL will be strong in the Canadian cities. Once you start having success, the fan support will explode (See Vancouver and Edmonton in the last 3 years). There are some markets like that in the US for sure, but they are lots that don't fit that bill either.

Old
12-13-2003, 10:23 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
How about we dont contract any teams and leave the NHL the way it is? I wouldn't mind seing Anaheim leave though.

Old
12-14-2003, 09:20 AM
1Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Why Florida is there but Tampa isin't ?
Because Tampa wins and Florida doesn't. If records switch, attendance (potentially, but I doubt it) switches, and suddenly, we're on the block.

IMO, we've got the better market as well. There's plenty of northerns here, not so many in Miami.

Oh, and we've got a legit team, a solid coaching staff, and a growing-but-supportive fanbase of STH's, I guess.

Last edited by 1Timer: 12-14-2003 at 09:25 AM.
Old
12-14-2003, 10:25 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Timer
Because Tampa wins and Florida doesn't. If records switch, attendance (potentially, but I doubt it) switches, and suddenly, we're on the block.

IMO, we've got the better market as well. There's plenty of northerns here, not so many in Miami.

Oh, and we've got a legit team, a solid coaching staff, and a growing-but-supportive fanbase of STH's, I guess.
WHen the panthers came into the league they sold out like every game. When they made the finals they sold out every game in the playoffs. Tampa all of a sudden after sucking for 11 years is the better team in Fla. I remeber when Tampa was Florida's ***** and they killed them every game. In Miami and Ft. Lauderdale there are SOOOOOOOOOO many Northerners hear. We have the beaches right here and the gulf stream and all of the Canadians and other come here. Attendance will skyrocket for the cats when we start to win which may be happening within the next couple of months for good. If you look at the rosters, FLA has a better future than any team in the league.

Nedorost
Weiss
Luongo
Bouwmeester
Novak
Krajicek
Globke
Taticek
Campbell
Horton
Stewart
Kreps
VanRyn
Hagman
Huselius
Jokinen
Kozlov
Kolnik
Shvidki

All are highly skilled players and in the last 5 games, the team has change dramatically. They are hitting, playing aggressive, and have at least one point in the last 5. If this young inexperienced team hadn't blown all of the late lead's they have had, they would have been 3rd in the Eastern Conference. They are coming together as a team and may turn it around and surprise a lot of people in the second half.

Tampa has

Artukin
Boyle
Lecavalier
Richards
St. Louis
Kubina
Alexeev
Svitov
Henrich
Polushin
Holmqvist
Somervuori (the next "Selanne" )
Egener

By far, Florida's system is better than Tampa Bay and FLA has a brighter future as they may soon become a legit contender within a year or two.

Tampa has a solid coaching staff.

Florida has Dudley who is very competent running the show with two of the best assistants in the league in Ludzik and Torchetti. The panthers farm team is one of the best in the AHL too so they have a bright future.

Old
12-14-2003, 10:28 AM
PanthersRule96

BTW, Florida is averaging about 12 thousand per game and lately, we have had 14-15000. Look at the Marlins. At the beginning of the year, they had less than 4000 a game and in the playoffs, they had more than 65,000. There are many fair weather fans here and if the cats win, then they will sellout.

Old
12-14-2003, 02:08 PM
1Timer

We had nearly 18k tickets sold last night, even though we've lost the last 6/8.

I'm not even going to start the Dudley arguement here, you should know how a Tampa fan feels about that. I want to see how many of those great core players you can hold onto without Duds messing around with things and with all of them wanting more money as their performance steps up.

P.S.: You forgot Darren Reid.
<------

Old
12-19-2003, 09:47 AM
IronMosher

vCash: 430
Send a message via Yahoo to IronMosher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
One difference.

It is realistic to suggest many of the teams in the South for contraction.

Mentioning all the Canadian teams is ridiculous.

Man, some of you dudes don't understand sarcasm. Too much snow on the brain. A lot of people have been making jokes in this thread and you take 'em seriously. Please relax.

Old
12-19-2003, 10:02 AM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Nashville
Pittsburgh
Carolina
Florida
Phoenix
Buffalo

Old
12-19-2003, 03:24 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin
Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal

Those would be the last 6 teams that anyone wouldl contract.
As far as the NHL goes, 6 teams in Canada minimum.

This is a stupid poll.
There won't be a contraction in the NHL.
The fact the Pittsburgh is there is wrong.
Wait for them to get a new arena, and then they'll be in the top 10 spenders.

Old
12-19-2003, 07:50 PM
evman150*

Where are New Jersey, Atlanta and Nashville as choices?

Why are Edmonton, Calgary and NYI even on the poll?

Anyway...six teams:

New Jersey
Anaheim
Phoenix
Carolina
Nashville
Atlanta

Old
12-27-2003, 01:14 PM
Jets4Life

What about the New Jersey Devils?

The team couldn't even sellout Game 7 of the Cup finals. Even then, most were Ranger fans just wanting to see a Stanley Cup final game.

Another thing. Where did the Devils hold their Stanley Cup parade...or did they? The NY Giants, they are not. No city in New Jersey bothers to lay claim to the Devils. They should have just held it in Manhatten where the majority of their fans are!

Old
12-27-2003, 04:06 PM
DevzFan15

Quote:
The team couldn't even sellout Game 7 of the Cup finals
I was there and im pretty sure it was sold out.
Quote:
Even then, most were Ranger fans just wanting to see a Stanley Cup final game.
I didn't see one, did anyone else who was there see any?
Quote:
Another thing. Where did the Devils hold their Stanley Cup parade...or did they?
We kept it in our parking lot, where it has been every year we won. I wouldnt want it anywhere else.

My list:
Pittsburgh
Nashville
San Jose
Phoenix
Buffalo
Rangers(there ruining the market)

Old
12-29-2003, 09:32 AM
bleedgreen

i feel safe in assuming bettman would relocate teams before contraction. contraction has all sorts of legal issues(see baseball) that make it essentially a waste of time. there is still too many rich people who would like to bring a team to their town. this thread probably about which teams are likely to go and where. i think pitts is in th eworst trouble and the most likely to move. i always heard portland oregan as a possible destination for new teams.

Old
01-02-2004, 05:57 AM
Pwk

I would pick Phoenix...first choice.

Old
01-02-2004, 10:42 AM
West

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
Yeah lets get rid of two teams who have been in the league for over 30 years and have had pretty good success up until the millenium. I would replace Buffalo and the Islanders with Washington and Phoenix.
I would agree to that except that Washington and Phoenix are two of the biggest cities in the US. I don't think that you can just throw away markets like that. Although I like the Buffalo team and have great respect for what the Islanders and Pittsburgh have done in the past I'd say that are also in the US franchises that are in the worst financial state.

Old
01-02-2004, 11:29 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by West
I would agree to that except that Washington and Phoenix are two of the biggest cities in the US. I don't think that you can just throw away markets like that. Although I like the Buffalo team and have great respect for what the Islanders and Pittsburgh have done in the past I'd say that are also in the US franchises that are in the worst financial state.
How is Buffalo, who just got a new billionaire owner, in a bad financial state? Sure attendance is low right now and the team is in tough times, but they will end, and it should be in the near future. Then attendace will rise and the team will start making money again. I think if there are any teams to contract, then it should be newer teams in the south. My picks:

1. Florida
2. Phoenix
3. Anaheim
4. Pittsburgh
5. Carolina
6. New Jersey

Old
01-02-2004, 01:57 PM
phil76

what about all the 24 u.s team and keeping
the 6 canadians team
cause hockey is a CANADIANS sport

Old
01-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Pittsburgh [ 115 ] * 14.65%
Washington [ 71 ] * 9.04%
NY Islanders [ 44 ] * 5.61%
Phoenix [ 103 ] * 13.12%

those are my choices

I COULD SELECT 4

i CHOOSE TEAMS THAT DIDNT HAVE GREAT ATTENDENCE or wealth

Old
01-03-2004, 10:09 AM
BigMac1212

Sorry, guys, but Phoenix will be staying in the NHL for a long, long time. You should of heard the commisioner on Opening Night at Glendale Arena. He says that Glendale Arena was "the jewel of the NHL." If Betman say that, then there's no way this team is moving. By the way, the only team I want oust is Calgary.

Closed Thread