HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Is Muckler waiting for Ryan Smyth before commiting to Roberts?

Old
02-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Calorissi

vCash: 500
Is Muckler waiting for Ryan Smyth before commiting to Roberts?

Could Muckler be waiting to see if his good buddies in Edmonton are going to give up and trade Ryan Smyth before he commits to Roberts in Florida?

It would make sence for the Sens to try to get Smyth instead of Roberts.
The Sens could include Corvo in the deal (whom Edmonton is apparently interested) and a Pick and/or Eaves if required.

Ottawa could then trade for a depth defenseman for Corvo's #5/6 spot.

What do you folks think?

Calorissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:01 AM
ARS

In the 1% chance that Edmonton is actually gonna trade Smyth away, it would take a heck of a lot to get him and I don't know if Muckler or the fans are willing to give up what it takes to get him.

ARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:03 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Extremely unlikely.

The Oilers need Smyth and they simply won't let him leave like all the other Oilers in the past.

He's the face of the franchise and one of those character guys who plays for the logo on his chest.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:07 AM
discostu

I think the chance of Smyth being traded is slim, but, I do think it's possible that Muckler's been making some inquiring phone calls to see if there is a chance.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Skrymir

I'd love it if we could acquire Smyth. I'd go as high as Eaves and Lee to get him even as a rental.

Take it for what it's worth, but McGuire stated on TGOR a couple weeks ago that Smyth wasn't going to give any home town discounts this off season. Apparently he feels he's taken less to stay in Edmonton in the past and since his style of play does not lead to a long career he feels that this may be his last chance to get a sizable contract. So if Edmonton slides further out of the playoff picture they may deal him, as they would have as much of a chance to sign him as anyone in the off-season.

Skrymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:20 AM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorissi View Post
Could Muckler be waiting to see if his good buddies in Edmonton are going to give up and trade Ryan Smyth before he commits to Roberts in Florida?

The Sens could include Corvo in the deal (whom Edmonton is apparently interested) and a Pick and/or Eaves if required.

What do you folks think?
If they are dumping Smyth, I don't see why they would want Corvo. They will be better of trying to sign someone else in the offseason with the new found money that Smyth would have tied up, instead of taking on Corvo and his 3 years left.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Calorissi

I was thinking of the Oiler's need for a puck moving defenseman when I included Corvo in the potential deal. I really believe that a combo of Eaves and Corvo along with a pick is a pretty good return. Maybe not for Smyth, but it is nothing to sneeze at.

Calorissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Savannah Skunk

Would love to have Smyth... but i can't see Ottawa biting unless Muckler swings a steal. There are too many teams that would bid higher if he was on the trading block. However, we can still dream!

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Chill Town

Speaking as an Edmontonian, and the rumblings here, don't be surprised if Smyth does get traded a la Doug Weight last year to the Canes.......but seeing as what it took for Forsberg to make his way out West, I am thinking K-Lowe will require teams to ante-up for him!

Chill Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Sylph

This is what Proteau over at Hockey News wrote in his blog the other day:

Speaking of trades, a Western Conference GM told me yesterday he believes a handful of big-name players (besides Peter Forsberg) will be dealt before the trade deadline.

Any ideas or speculations on who those big names will be? I wonder if any of it will come to pass, should make for an interesting week.

Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Roshan View Post
Speaking as an Edmontonian, and the rumblings here, don't be surprised if Smyth does get traded a la Doug Weight last year to the Canes.......but seeing as what it took for Forsberg to make his way out West, I am thinking K-Lowe will require teams to ante-up for him!
I agree. For Edmonton's sake, if Smyth is to be dealt... i hope they properly detooth the team trading for him.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:58 AM
hemigod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorissi View Post

What do you folks think?
The oil would want 1 of the following Preissing, Volchenkov or Mezaros(sp)

I would think if you need/want Jason Smith as well we could maybe even trade out with draft picks and or mid level prospects.

Any takers?

hemigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:59 AM
lafite

Smyth and Roberts are two completely different situations. Robert's value isn't that great because he is older, has been hurt alot, and has lowered his value by agreeing to be traded only to Toronto or Ottawa. Since it makes little sense for Toronto to go that way, that leaves Ottawa. I think he either comes here, or Florida is stuck with him.
I think he could be had for something like Roberts and Fla's 2nd round pick, for Ottawa's 1rst round pick plus someone from Bingo.

I can't see Ottawa ante up for a deal for Smyth.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:08 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemigod View Post
The oil would want 1 of the following Preissing, Volchenkov or Mezaros(sp)

I would think if you need/want Jason Smith as well we could maybe even trade out with draft picks and or mid level prospects.

Any takers?
Why would the oilers want a UFA Preissing for a UFA Smyth?

I'd trade Meszaros so long as we were getting a dman back in the deal to fill the gap. Is Smith still available?

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 12:47 PM
hemigod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Why would the oilers want a UFA Preissing for a UFA Smyth?

I'd trade Meszaros so long as we were getting a dman back in the deal to fill the gap. Is Smith still available?
Preissing is UFA??

Smy(i)ths for Mezaros and Lee?

hemigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Puck
Ninja

I'd settle for a depth Dman in case of a long playoff run. For a late draft pick. I really consider Comrie our deadline acquisition.

Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:56 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah Skunk View Post
Would love to have Smyth... but i can't see Ottawa biting unless Muckler swings a steal. There are too many teams that would bid higher if he was on the trading block. However, we can still dream!
yes this what rumour boards, Eklund, and Garrioch do. They help us dream. Unless of course its one of our players being traded Then they are morons

I dont think its Ryan Smyth Mucks is waiting for. It'd be Iginla. Why sell Mucks short?

Perhaps if Edmonton signs a contract with Smyth now for next year, and then rents him out. Could they do that? Would we be ok with that?

But otherwise, why on earth would edmonton put its feet in the air and surrender to the vultures wanting to pick their carcass? Makes no sense. Think of yourself as an Oil fan and what you would think of this suggestion. Pretty hard to fathom it.

Plus, Smyth already said he is not going to give a home town discount. Everyone has said we dont want players like that.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Preissing is UFA??

i think i just soiled myself, which in turn made me barf in my mouth.
Trading Meszaros is a non starter, i d rather trade Redden. (which i dont want to do either)

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:27 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemigod View Post
Preissing is UFA??

I'd do Meszaros + Eaves for Smyth + Smith if we were able to sign Smyth before the deal. Meszaros is extremely over-rated and Lee will soon be ready to take his place.

This deal would be contingent on Phillips signing a long term deal before the trade though.

For those doubting that Edmonton would move Smyth, Kevin Lowe was just on Snet Connected and basically said the Smyth situation has to be resolved before the deadline. So either he'll be signed or dealt before the deadline.

Last edited by OttawaGM: 02-16-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old
02-16-2007, 06:33 PM
brucegarrioch

Ottawa would have to move salary if they wanted Smyth, which is a scenario that I can't imagine Edmonton agreeing to.

brucegarrioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:37 PM
DefenseMinister

Edmonton trading Smyth to Ottawa just doesn't add up. There's no real combination as BG noted. The only way this happens if Ottawa has a separate deal in place to dump salary from the roster to another team, because Edmonton won't want to take it on.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:08 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
Edmonton trading Smyth to Ottawa just doesn't add up. There's no real combination as BG noted. The only way this happens if Ottawa has a separate deal in place to dump salary from the roster to another team, because Edmonton won't want to take it on.
We have the cap room to do it as a rental but if we want a sign and trade then yes we have to move out salary either at the deadline or in the summer.

Old
02-16-2007, 08:47 PM
fras123

haha i absolutly hate ryan smyth, but i guess hes one of those guys you only like if hes on your team, i guess we could use someone as ballsy as him infront of the net. dont think we would ever be able to pry him out of edmenton tho

fras123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:14 PM
salomonster

That would be cheap to get Smith.

A total steal actually.

But he's the type of player we need, Roberts is the elderly version and likely be cheaper in what we'd have to give up.

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 05:56 AM
Heatley4Hart*

There is no point in dealing for Smyth and dealing away the likes of Eaves and Lee for a rental. In fact, without moving say Redden, we can't add another high priced player for next year. And no way I would part with Eaves for a rental, even Smyth. He is like a young Mike Fisher was.

Young players that players that compete with grit and got skill don't grow on trees. Lee is highly regarded, but I would deal him for the right 'rental' cuz he is still unknown quantity.

Heatley4Hart* is offline   Reply With Quote