HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Has there been any word whatsoever on Stoll or Pisani?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2007, 01:37 PM
  #1
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
Has there been any word whatsoever on Stoll or Pisani?

The closest thing I've seen to any kind of an update was the Sun's piece on Raffi today when they talked about him having new linemates because both Stoll and Raffi will be out for an extended period. Last we heard of Stoll he had a really good day on Friday and was hoping to start riding the bike on Sat which meant a possible return tomorrow night vs TO. The Oilers don't say a peep when there's bad news so I'm thinking Stoll's stay in the IR could be for quite awhile. This might teach the Oilers a thing or two about bringing guys back too early from concussions though this org is notorious for bringing guys back very early from injuries.

As for Fernie I guess we were all prepared for the worst when MacT said he could be out for awhile.

In any case if both guys are out for the foreseeable future then is it worth a shot to float a second round pick to try and grab Gelinas immeadiately? If he doesn't work out and we don't pick up ground on Minny we can deal him again on deadline day.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 01:52 PM
  #2
canadave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nova Scotia, Earth
Country: United Nations
Posts: 888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
The closest thing I've seen to any kind of an update was the Sun's piece on Raffi today when they talked about him having new linemates because both Stoll and Raffi will be out for an extended period. Last we heard of Stoll he had a really good day on Friday and was hoping to start riding the bike on Sat which meant a possible return tomorrow night vs TO. The Oilers don't say a peep when there's bad news so I'm thinking Stoll's stay in the IR could be for quite awhile. This might teach the Oilers a thing or two about bringing guys back too early from concussions though this org is notorious for bringing guys back very early from injuries.

As for Fernie I guess we were all prepared for the worst when MacT said he could be out for awhile.

In any case if both guys are out for the foreseeable future then is it worth a shot to float a second round pick to try and grab Gelinas immeadiately? If he doesn't work out and we don't pick up ground on Minny we can deal him again on deadline day.

mmm...I'm thinking the timeline's too short for that idea to really make a lot of sense at this point. If we go get someone like Gelinas, and he doesn't jumpstart a few wins in the next four games or so, then what? We just lost a draft pick.

On the other hand, even if we pick up Gelinas and he does help us win the next handful of games, my thinking is that if Stoll and Pisani are out for any length of time then we're going to need more help than Gelinas to make the playoffs, in which case we're back to the idea that we traded away a draft pick for nothing.

I see what you're saying though...if a 2nd round pick was all it took to get Gelinas, and the deal was there, who knows...it's not like it's a huge price to pay I guess.

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:18 PM
  #3
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
I don't think so either

and then if you deal him off for a 3rd well it was a loss of 30 spots or so but things thing to get spotty and subjective pretty quick in terms of draft selection anyway.

I know it's only four games but I'd like to see Lowe pull something to help out the boys. Some of those guys are working their ***** off out there.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 02:24 PM
  #4
canadave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nova Scotia, Earth
Country: United Nations
Posts: 888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
and then if you deal him off for a 3rd well it was a loss of 30 spots or so but things thing to get spotty and subjective pretty quick in terms of draft selection anyway.

I know it's only four games but I'd like to see Lowe pull something to help out the boys. Some of those guys are working their ***** off out there.
Yep...and I'd hate to be in Lowe's shoes, because he's really stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one hand, he's got to be questioning whether this group, *even with help acquired via trades*, can both: (a) make the playoffs, and (b) have a legitimate chance to advance deep into the playoffs. I'm not so sure he thinks that's the case.

On the other hand, like you said, the team is so close, and they're playing their hearts out right now. The entire 1st line is going to need to be scraped off the ice at the end of all this, because MacT can't afford not to put them out there every 2nd shift. They clearly need help.

But it's a tough call whether to gamble on this year or plan for next year.

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 03:48 PM
  #5
Lon3 Wulf
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 384
vCash: 500
Only thing I've heard is that Stoll could possibly be ready for tomorrow.

Lon3 Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:31 PM
  #6
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
But it's a tough call whether to gamble on this year or plan for next year.
really? i think its pretty darn clear that this team is not a team that will make any waves in the playoffs..... hell, i think its pretty clear that this team wont even *make* the playoffs

we've been in next year country for a long time now, and lowes inactivity on the trade front gives me hope that hes aware of this fact as well

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:14 PM
  #7
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
Lowe can't lose for winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
really? i think its pretty darn clear that this team is not a team that will make any waves in the playoffs..... hell, i think its pretty clear that this team wont even *make* the playoffs

we've been in next year country for a long time now, and lowes inactivity on the trade front gives me hope that hes aware of this fact as well
when it comes to some folks and that makes being the Oilers GM one of the easiest in pro sports.

Seriously, you've got people like this who think this team won't make any waves in the playoffs so why make a move? Well why in the **** did we go with a romper room defense in the first place? Don't you think that has a little something to do with this team not being in the position to make any waves?

I truly don't mean to attack you bud but it's attitudes like yours that give the EIG the nuts to pull the crap that they do.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 02:08 PM
  #8
Hyped
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tombstone
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,568
vCash: 500
I wouldn't expect to see Stoll for a while yet. He's gotta pass the off-ice tests and then the on-ice tests before he even starts practicing again. I'd still think another week or two depending on how quickly his mind comes back...

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:13 PM
  #9
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon3 Wulf View Post
Only thing I've heard is that Stoll could possibly be ready for tomorrow.
Where did you hear that? On edmontonoilers.com on Oilers Live, KP said that both Stoll and Pisani our out for an extended period of time. He said they're not progressing as they'd like. Neither Stoll or Pisani are with the team on this road trip.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:17 PM
  #10
Raoul Duke*
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,007
vCash: 500
Did anyone watch the Ron MacLean interview with MacT before the game?

MacTavish was saying they're both still having symptoms, and it's impossible to say until they stop having post-concussion symptoms... Even when they do they're only able to do light workouts - let alone practice.

From hearing MacT talk to Ron on HNIC, it doesn't sound like any day soon.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:20 PM
  #11
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,493
vCash: 500
MacT briefly touched on their conditions during a quickie pregame interview on CBC, and it sounded to me like neither guy is close to ready, though Pisani seems a bit further off than Stoll.

With tonight's results, I doubt the Oilers are in any rush to bring either Stoll or Pisani back early, and they'd be right in doing just that.

To be honest, I'm not expecting them back until at least March, assuming they come back at all this season.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:33 AM
  #12
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Got these from another message board.

Quote- The Hockey News: After two concussions in less than than three weeks, center Jarret Stoll might not be available for the stretch drive.

When I heard MacT's comments before the game about Stoll/Pies, my heart stopped a bit. They still both have symptoms and it looks like it could be awhile. I am really scared for both of them. I know this really sucks for the team, but you guys this is serious. I really pray for their health and hope that they get better. Concussions are serious business and the fact that they both still have symptoms (Stoll even after 2/3 weeks) is really scary. I know this must be killing boy guys inside b/c they care about the team and both are passionate players. I'll keep them both in my prayers.


This is serious. It sounds like it's not just a grade 1 concussion. More like grade 2 concussion. Any thoughts.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:45 AM
  #13
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,625
vCash: 500
Sit them out the rest of the year so that they'll hopefully be 100% healthy at the start of next season where hopefully Lowe will have given this team a better chance to be a winner. Call up Jacques, call up Schremp if he picks his game up, give Brodziak a call if he returns to form when he returns from his injury, and play the hell out of Thoresen, Smid, Stortini, Pouliot and outer other rookies. may as well get them valuable experience so that the whole season isn't one big loss. Waive or deal Nedved, same to Petersen. Clear space for the youth.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.