HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This road trip is Pouliot's Chance!

Old
02-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
This road trip is Pouliot's Chance!

If Pouliot has any brain he has to see that his shot to make a bid for a permanent job is now. Peterson was given his shot to shine and has been less than spectacular and if Pouliot steps it up over the next 5 games he could take the 3rd line center job when the regulars start coming back.

final roster before golf time!

Smyth Horcoff Hemsky
Torres Stoll pisani
Sykora Pouliot Lupal
Moreau Reasoner Stortini

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Pouliot's looked GREAT since his latest call up. If he continues to play like this through the remainder of the road trip I think he'll stick, and we'll be that much deeper down the middle.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Pouliot's looked GREAT since his latest call up. If he continues to play like this through the remainder of the road trip I think he'll stick, and we'll be that much deeper down the middle.

I love our depth at center as an organization. We will need to spend the next few years rebuilding our D though.

I think Prendergrass has been doing a top notch job with our drafting since he took over from Barry Fraser.

I love how big pouliot looks on the boards with the puck. Once he finish growing into that frame he will be a beast to deal with. I am thinking the Oil have a top notch second line center there who can play anyway you want to play.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 03:39 AM
djmarcopolo

i want to see this guy perform well but im not gonna be holding my breath to see mact give him those wingers, although we all know with time there is a chance that it might work.especially since he hs lloked really good since his call up, i wish he been called up when stoll had gone down instead of it taking for so long to call him up.
cheers

djmarcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 50
So...the penalty shot goal will help, right?

Ganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:08 PM
smytty's mullet

pouliot has definitely showed he can play at the nhl level. here's hoping he continues to get increased ice time the remainder of the year and continues to develop. next year we should be very solid up the middle with horcoff, stoll, pouliot and reasoner, not to mention rob schremp.

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Cerebral

The scoresheet on NHL.com game credit to Edmonton's third goal to Pouliot - was it him or Smyth that tipped it in? I thought it was Pouliot based on the replay but CBC thought otherwise.

In any event, great game for Pouliot. He was definitely the best Oiler out there tonight and his skating seems to have improved from the level I remember it being at.

02-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
The scoresheet on NHL.com game credit to Edmonton's third goal to Pouliot - was it him or Smyth that tipped it in? I thought it was Pouliot based on the replay but CBC thought otherwise.

In any event, great game for Pouliot. He was definitely the best Oiler out there tonight and his skating seems to have improved from the level I remember it being at.
MAP's stick was nowhere near the puck... it was Smyth for sure who deflected it.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lander View Post
MAP's stick was nowhere near the puck... it was Smyth for sure who deflected it.
I'm not sure if he touched it or not but Pouliot's stick was definitely near the puck.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:30 PM
surixon

Quote:
I'm not sure if he touched it or not but Pouliot's stick was definitely near the puck.
They changed the goal to Smyth on NHL.com but Pouiot is still credited with an assist on the play so he must of touched the puck first, but as you said earlier he was cearly the best oiler on the ice.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
They changed the goal to Smyth on NHL.com but Pouiot is still credited with an assist on the play so he must of touched the puck first, but as you said earlier he was cearly the best oiler on the ice.
I thought Pouliot touched it, Smyth must have touched it right after. Two things that impressed me about Pouliot tonight: One, his faceoff percentage. Everyone else on the Oilers absolutely sucked (why was Horcoff taking those last two draws??) but Pouliot was strong all game. Two, the number of shots he got on goal. He'll never be a great skater but he looked decent tonight and he was getting himself into position to get his shot off.

Lowetide should be happy, Pouliot looks like he has all the skills necessary to one day be a top 6 forward.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
I thought Pouliot touched it, Smyth must have touched it right after. Two things that impressed me about Pouliot tonight: One, his faceoff percentage. Everyone else on the Oilers absolutely sucked (why was Horcoff taking those last two draws??) but Pouliot was strong all game. Two, the number of shots he got on goal. He'll never be a great skater but he looked decent tonight and he was getting himself into position to get his shot off.

Lowetide should be happy, Pouliot looks like he has all the skills necessary to one day be a top 6 forward.
Yeah he looks good. He's played 4 games or so in a row at a higher level than we've seen before, so the next thing to worry over is what happens if he has a bad shift/game. But he seems to have some gumption and I love his ability to take and make a pass.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
Yeah he looks good. He's played 4 games or so in a row at a higher level than we've seen before, so the next thing to worry over is what happens if he has a bad shift/game. But he seems to have some gumption and I love his ability to take and make a pass.
As long as Mac-T doesn't staple him to the bench, IMO this is MAP's tiem to shine. Honestly I'm just about as happy for you as I am for him, and the Oilers in general!!! Hopefully he can become the player that you've been hoping for and in the near future. Hopefully one day Schremp in the near future can join him as a solid young player on this team.

02-18-2007, 08:46 PM
djmarcopolo

good to see one of our young guns finally getting a chance who might actually help the team score goals

djmarcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Matts

There was a tonne of things to like about the kid last night

there was one play where he carried the puck just over the blue but then held up and ripped a shot low and hard. The kid just gets it and he's gonna get a tonne of time now with 16 being out. Pouliot got a lot of stuff done with less than 15 min TOI though. You could just see him beaming on the ice after that PS goal and the kid showed some major seeds on that goal. That's the biggest stage in hockey, TO on a Sat night and he came out smelling like a rose. And it's not like he has super linemates either. I love Raffi to death and 28 works his Cal Nichols off but 78 is getting things done without having great guys on his flanks.

I will say though that I'm back to loving 28's game. Once again he looks like a guy that's gonna be a great third liner and someone you'll trust with a lead late in the game,.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 10:52 PM
TexasOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
and 28 works his Cal Nichols off
Oh sweet mother of god, I was laughing at that one

TexasOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:39 PM
hockeyaddict101

It's been a year without a lot of positives but this kid is looking to be one of them.

He looks like a different player then from his first call up. He is also looking more confident with each game.

He won't be stapled to the bench because he is already good defensively and he is starting to produce.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Matts

Well let's be honest

it doesn't hurt that we don't have a lot of other options either I'm a macT guy and I don't buy into the whole "he doesn't know how to develop offensive young guys not named hemksy" thing but young Marc's gonna get a real shot no because who else can we really throw out there?

And let's not forget that just three games ago in Bos MacT was using nedved on the PP over Pouliot and I don't know what MP's PP numbers have been over his career but a guy with his skill has to be better on the PP than the corpse of Petr Nedved,

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:25 PM
speeds

another good game out of Pouliot last night, at least by the score sheet.

19:48 ice time (4th on the Oilers after the top line), +1, 1 assist, 10 wins in 16 faceoffs.

I see they took his assist away on the late goal in TOR, but didn't change the game scoresheet on NHL.com, anyone happen to notice who (if anyone) picked up that assist in MAP's place for that goal?

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote