HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Potter and Reese selected to US WJC team...

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2003, 03:25 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

vCash: 500
Potter and Reese selected to US WJC team...

Hugh Jessiman not.

I was surprised that Jessiman wasn't selected at first but it makes more sense to me now. The US team has plenty of scoring already and they were looking for two-way players to round out the roster.

As for Potter and Reese, I guess that's good to see them make it. The only thing I will say is that I'm surprised Reese made it at all. I saw him once for Harvard this year and I wasn't impressed at all.

Old
12-08-2003, 10:41 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney
Hugh Jessiman not.

I was surprised that Jessiman wasn't selected at first but it makes more sense to me now. The US team has plenty of scoring already and they were looking for two-way players to round out the roster.
You have a 6'5, 220 pound guy who can score and hit you dont live him off the roster to "round it out". USA has a good team but they aren't exactly stacked.

Jessiman didn't earn a spot on the team period. Sad truth is both in the rookie camp and the WJC evaluation camp he showed he has a lot of work to do. that's not an insult, he just really needs to play the mental game a little faster. he's absolutley horrific in a transition game.

He's got a lot of talent but he's a project and like i've said before is likely to need at least 3 more years and probably 4.

Old
12-09-2003, 07:13 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
You have a 6'5, 220 pound guy who can score and hit you dont live him off the roster to "round it out". USA has a good team but they aren't exactly stacked.

Jessiman didn't earn a spot on the team period. Sad truth is both in the rookie camp and the WJC evaluation camp he showed he has a lot of work to do. that's not an insult, he just really needs to play the mental game a little faster. he's absolutley horrific in a transition game.

He's got a lot of talent but he's a project and like i've said before is likely to need at least 3 more years and probably 4.

Good stuff Edge, I'm with you. Hugh's a work in progress, not ready to step onto centerstage just yet. Somehow i'm thinking Sather made a mistake though. Think about it, Jessiman will need at least two more years at Dartmouth, unless he's foolish enough to leave when he's basically halfway to an Ivy league degree, then he'll need a year or two in the minors. Does anyone think this organization will wait that long for a prospect? I just can't believe we have to wait that long to find out if Zach Parise would've been the better pick..... :p

Old
12-09-2003, 08:50 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Good stuff Edge, I'm with you. Hugh's a work in progress, not ready to step onto centerstage just yet. Somehow i'm thinking Sather made a mistake though. Think about it, Jessiman will need at least two more years at Dartmouth, unless he's foolish enough to leave when he's basically halfway to an Ivy league degree, then he'll need a year or two in the minors.

Not all teams think the same way, but I know that the Flyers feel that if they take a kid going to a US College, that if he's a real prospect he should only play 2 years of US College Hockey. They then will get him to come play pro hockey where he'll het to play 70+ games a year, instead of the 40 or so they play in college.

That could put Jessiman in Hartford next year, if the Rangers think along those lines.

Old
12-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Not all teams think the same way, but I know that the Flyers feel that if they take a kid going to a US College, that if he's a real prospect he should only play 2 years of US College Hockey. They then will get him to come play pro hockey where he'll het to play 70+ games a year, instead of the 40 or so they play in college.

That could put Jessiman in Hartford next year, if the Rangers think along those lines.
Don't get me wrong John, I think HJ will be a good one, but away from the puck he needs alot of coaching/experience. Physically he'd be ok in Hartford, but he needs to learn the game better to be able to compete in the AHL. You may be right, knowing this team they're looking for him to be out of College after this season.

Old
12-09-2003, 09:17 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

and that is a very likely possibility...the rangers decided that it was best for jessiman to go back to dartmouth this year cause of the experience he would gain as the 'go-to-guy' on the team, plus they felt he could put on another 20lbs...

he has reportedly put on about 15lbs, so the goal of additional size and strength was accomplished...

so if he has a strong year, i think they will seriously look into trying to get him signed next summer, with the one big advantage of that is he could possibly play a full year in the ahl during the lockout...

of course given the fact that most of his family attend dartmouth, i don't know how much importance he will put into staying in school and graduating...his parents might pressure him to stay in school

Old
12-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Edge

at this stage i would personally advice against taking him out of college. unless he simply explodes the next 30 games, i really think he needs more time to mature physically and with his game.

he's very coachable but he just has a lot of work to do. he's honestly not my first choice for that 12th pick and i think when all is said and done he's going one way or the other. i see him as either a 30 goal, 70 point power winger or i see him as chris wells. i just can't see a middle ground. some kids you can kind of split the difference, i just think this pick is going to be hit or miss.

Old
12-10-2003, 04:49 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
at this stage i would personally advice against taking him out of college. unless he simply explodes the next 30 games, i really think he needs more time to mature physically and with his game.

he's very coachable but he just has a lot of work to do. he's honestly not my first choice for that 12th pick and i think when all is said and done he's going one way or the other. i see him as either a 30 goal, 70 point power winger or i see him as chris wells. i just can't see a middle ground. some kids you can kind of split the difference, i just think this pick is going to be hit or miss.
first just to make sure i was clear, the idea of him leaving school early does NOT mean him making the jump to the nhl, it would mean him going to hartford and playing a year or 2 there...

I think one of the biggest factors will be the fact that he goes to dartmouth...there are some huge advantages to a kid staying in school all 4 years and if he was playing for michigan or minnesota or another top program there would be little arguement against letting him stay. but how much is he going to progress at dartmouth given the level of competition in the ECAC??

would he really benefit more from 2 more years at dartmouth rather than 2 years in hartford?? or what about 1 more year at dartmouth and then a year in hartford??

i'm all for being patient with the kid, especially considering the fact that most power forwards are late bloomers, so i have absolutely no problem waiting but i still think you have to weigh the options cause you don't want him 'wasting' his time in school if there is another option that he would benefit from more

Old
12-10-2003, 06:31 AM
Jackson Ranger

My opinion is he should finish out this year and then sign a professional contract and play either for Hartford or start out next year at Charlotte. My reasoning, everybody talks about his level of competition playing the "Yale's" of the world, I think he needs to play more against better players in order to improve.

He's kind of in a Catch 22 situation where he needs to develop his game yet he also needs to be playing against better competition.

The bottom line is that everyone should be patient with him and give him the opportunity to succeed as well as fail, as long as he progresses. Of course in Rangerland, patience isn't a virtue.

And Edge, you're scaring me with the Chris Wells analogy.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
if he was playing for michigan or minnesota or another top program there would be little arguement against letting him stay. but how much is he going to progress at dartmouth given the level of competition in the ECAC??
That's my concern too, especially if he's "very coachable", as Edge characterizes him.

Old
12-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
That's my concern too, especially if he's "very coachable", as Edge characterizes him.
Ya know i honestly don't know if there is a "right" answer here.

On the one hand i think he needs more time in college. Even playing in hartford, i just don't think he is ready yet.

I say give him another year at Dartmouth and then consider the AHL.

Old
12-10-2003, 12:53 PM
MontanaTrout

Edge, easy on harshing on the guy. Glad he's not on the US team. Can focus on 2nd half of year. More politics in that selection than you know about.

You sound like an impatient New Yorker. Everything so far says the Rangers are playing this right and will give him time. The kid is the real deal. Rangers are really happy with the pick, believe me. HJ has essentially had one year of big time hockey. Not shabby that he practically led whole league in scoring that year. Your line about transition game is old news and something he has improved dramatically this year.

Old
12-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTrout
Edge, easy on harshing on the guy. Glad he's not on the US team. Can focus on 2nd half of year. More politics in that selection than you know about.

You sound like an impatient New Yorker. Everything so far says the Rangers are playing this right and will give him time. The kid is the real deal. Rangers are really happy with the pick, believe me. HJ has essentially had one year of big time hockey. Not shabby that he practically led whole league in scoring that year. Your line about transition game is old news and something he has improved dramatically this year.
1. First, don't live in NY and am not a New Yorker.
2. Not being harsh on him but I am being realistic, is he doomed to failure? Absolutley not, but he has work to do. He is a project.
3. Everything so far has been exactly 6 months. I don't even think the Rangers could mess that one up that quickly. Secondly i never said they were messing him up, so i dont know where the came from.
4. You're right they are very happy with the pick because his top end is a big scoring kid. However it should be noted that his conditioning at the prospect camp didn't go over too well and his showing at the USA WJC evaluation camp was disappointing.
5. No one is denying that the kid has an offensive touch, it's the other areas of the game he needs to work and yes he has improved on them but i dont know if i'd use the word dramatic. He still has some mental lapses in his own and his play in the transition is still not good at all. Is it better? Yes. Is it good? No.

No one is condeming Jessiman, but people do need to be realistic about the time table that a player like this has. The potential is certainly there, no one denies that, BUT there is still a ton of work to be done and a lot of time that is going to be needed.

I don't know where you got the impatient part from, if anything i've been saying since before he was drafted that he is going to need a lot of time to develop. I'm the last person who thinks he is the finished product and that this year should be showing that finishing product off. I am all for leaving him in college for at least another season after this and even then I'd want to heavily weigh the option of leaving him in for a 4th.

Old
12-10-2003, 06:09 PM
NYR469

how is edge being 'impatient' by suggesting that jessiman should be left in school?? unless they changed the definitions on me, waiting longer would be PATIENCE, not impatience

Old
12-12-2003, 09:05 AM
MontanaTrout

Hell, think we're wildly agreeing. He is the real deal. Not sure with strike coming which move he will make re coming out. Agree though that he needs time and sure better served at Dmouth. He is a very smart kid though and just beginning to realize what teams triple teaming him this year is all about. Understands what it will take to get to the next level. Don't dog him or give up on him. Not saying you said that but there's an edge to your edge that somehow this will be a mistake. Telling you not to worry is all.

And re New Yorkers. They are impatient and obnoxious. Not the teams, the people. So there.

Old
12-12-2003, 09:21 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTrout
And re New Yorkers. They are impatient and obnoxious. Not the teams, the people. So there.
Whew....sure glad you know us all so well. Good thing that the San Fransicso is the capital of the world from where you sit you your lofty throne and judge everyone else.

Closed Thread