HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Vancouver / Minnesota Trade Speculation

Old
02-16-2007, 06:35 PM
rad

vCash: 500
Vancouver / Minnesota Trade Speculation

I am about to run out the door so I can't load this with qualifiers, but here are some rough thoughts :

Vancouver Needs:

-centre to replace Ryan Kesler
-defensive depth

possible Vancouver Targets:

-Zubrus
-one of Sutherby / Gordon / Liach
-Beech
-Heward, Erskine

possible Washington Targets:
-Matt Cooke (McPhee type player)
-Krajicek (young defenseman)
-Bourdon (blue chip defensive prospect)

potential deal with Vancouver:
Zubrus, Heward, Beech, 4th for Bourdon, Cooke, 2nd

Minnesota Needs:
-grit for playoffs
-defensive depth

possible Washington Targets:
-Kurtis Foster?

possible Minnesota targets:
Sutherby / Bradley / Clymer /Pettinger
Erskine, Heward

potential deal with Minnesota:
Bradley and Erskine for Foster and a pick?

rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Roccoman

you can have Sutherby - just promise to never give him back. same with Beech.

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 06:47 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
potential deal with Vancouver:
Zubrus, Heward, Beech, 4th for Bourdon, Cooke, 2nd

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Some more mundane proposals:

To Vancouver:
Zednik, Heward

To Washington
2nd '07

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

To Minnesota:
Clymer, 7th '07

To Washington:
6th '07

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:20 PM
rad

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I admit that I kind of threw it together a little quicker than I should have... why don't you try to come up with something more reasonable ? you're a pretty knowledgable poster.

most of that was based around zubrus's value, which would be pretty high at the moment. I don't think he'll get dealt because I think we would need a deal like this to deal him.

bourdon might be a stretch as far as a fair value deal, but I think that's what the caps would ask for. mcphee tends to get more out of trades than we think.

maybe substitute sutherby for the pick and take out the 2nd coming back and that would be a closer value.

cooke's not put up great numbers this year and has a pretty big contract if I recall... he is a crash / bang type player that mcphee loves and gives us a warm body in return for a UFA. we eat some contract

I don't think we would be scouting these teams if we were just going to ask for draft picks.

Old
02-16-2007, 08:26 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMurp View Post
you can have Sutherby - just promise to never give him back. same with Beech.
THWACK!!

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:32 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
THWACK!!

Old
02-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
I don't think we would be scouting these teams if we were just going to ask for draft picks.
You could be right, though the Caps could be scouting them simply because they could be potential trade partners. For instance, if both teams have called GMGM and expressed interest in one of the Caps' rentals (or marginal players) and the scouting is just the Caps doing their homework in case they are impressed by one of their marginal players. If they were impressed by a guy then they'd ask for that player rather than a pick or a prospect.

I just don't see any marginal player on either team that might be available (unless the Caps are dealing Zubrus) who is under contract through next year (or will be an RFA) and that the Caps could use. The closest, imo, would be Mikko Koivu but I'm not sure he's a guy the Wild would part with.

Last edited by Langway: 02-16-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old
02-16-2007, 08:38 PM
pgreene

Quote:
if memory serves, ms. critter at one point made a comment about suts' "pretty" face. i suspect that is from whence came the "thwack".

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:21 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
I admit that I kind of threw it together a little quicker than I should have... why don't you try to come up with something more reasonable ? you're a pretty knowledgable poster.
Vancouver isn't going to move Bourdon for someone like Zubrus. They would want more than just Zubrus. Don't see that happening (along with the Caps even moving Zubrus at all)

Let's see...

Heward for Chouinard

I just don't think these two teams make good trading partners in terms a trade that would overly benefit one or the other. Vancouver is looking for a difference maker. We don't have one to offer (aside from Zubrus who I'm doubting is going anywhere plu isnt much of a difference maker)

Just for giggles....let's say the Caps would move Zubrus to Vancouver.

Zubrus for Edler and 2nd.

Getting another young mobile D Man like Edler would allow the Caps to then move Eminger for...lets say Zherdev.

Old
02-16-2007, 10:30 PM
rad

Quote:

I just don't think these two teams make good trading partners in terms a trade that would overly benefit one or the other. Vancouver is looking for a difference maker. We don't have one to offer (aside from Zubrus who I'm doubting is going anywhere plu isnt much of a difference maker)
I agree, my feeling is that they are trying to get a second line center to replace Kesler. Possibly Heward for depth, but I don't think Heward has enough value on his own to warrant trading a roster player. Especially when we would probably take a pick for him.

My guess is Vancouver said "What would it take to get Zubrus?" and we said "hold on, let's send some scouts to a couple games and see if we can figure something out".

I think we'd set our price pretty high -- Zubrus has 20+32=52 this year. Compared with a couple other guys on the market, Guerin is 26+19=45 and Tkachuk is 19+23=42. Look at what Forsberg brought, and how unsure his situation is.

I think we'd ask for a roster player and a prospect. Cooke would be my guess because I think we're going to deal some grit away and Cooke fits in with our team identity.

Edler is interesting; I admit I'm not really familiar with him. I wish I had more time to watch hockey and really see some of these guys. Grabbing someone like Edler and then flipping Eminger in a package deal to Columbus is an interesting idea too. McLean might be getting desparate over there, and I would think would want to change the identity of his team to a lunch pail group.

All that said, I don't think we'll make a deal with Zubie because we'll ask for too much. But I think we should deal him and try to sign him later, rather than just sign him now.

Old
02-17-2007, 12:53 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Vancouver isn't going to move Bourdon for someone like Zubrus. They would want more than just Zubrus. Don't see that happening (along with the Caps even moving Zubrus at all)

Let's see...

Heward for Chouinard

Getting another young mobile D Man like Edler would allow the Caps to then move Eminger for...lets say Zherdev.

From a Canuck fan's perspective, Nonis will look to make lateral moves to fill holes, and not look for the home-run difference maker. In that regard, Washington makes for as good a trading partner as any. Not excellent, just good.

I'm hearing that Wash. has interest in bringing back Jan Bulis. He would likely be a center-piece for any move made with your team. Right now, the team (Van) has a glut of defensive players, but chemistry wise, all have fit in except Bulis, Chouinard and Santala. The latter two get scratched often, mostly because they have become redundant pieces on a team filled with players of their ilk.

How does the Washington fan view the worth of a player like Beech/Heward against that of Bulis? History indicates that he does far better in the east, than he does in the west.

Bleach Clean

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 01:08 AM
dinoflint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
From a Canuck fan's perspective, Nonis will look to make lateral moves to fill holes, and not look for the home-run difference maker. In that regard, Washington makes for as good a trading partner as any. Not excellent, just good.

I'm hearing that Wash. has interest in bringing back Jan Bulis. He would likely be a center-piece for any move made with your team. Right now, the team (Van) has a glut of defensive players, but chemistry wise, all have fit in except Bulis, Chouinard and Santala. The latter two get scratched often, mostly because they have become redundant pieces on a team filled with players of their ilk.

How does the Washington fan view the worth of a player like Beech/Heward against that of Bulis? History indicates that he does far better in the east, than he does in the west.

Bleach Clean
Well, in terms of value, its equitable. Though I liked the Blues Brothers, I'm not necessarily a fan of putting this band back together. What's next? Muir and Bradley for Anson Carter? Klepis for Lang?

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 01:14 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I'm hearing that Wash. has interest in bringing back Jan Bulis.
OMG....I'll cry if Jan Bulis ever puts on a Caps jersey again...

I would rather hold onto Heward.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 04:25 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
OMG....I'll cry if Jan Bulis ever puts on a Caps jersey again...

I would rather hold onto Heward.

Has Heward indicated that he will re-sign with Washington? From reading the boards, my impression was that he would be dealt...

Bleach Clean

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 06:14 AM
ALEX THE 8*

Muir, Beech, Eminger, Zed. can all be had for free.

No thank you to Bulis, he would serve no purpose other than Zedniks uselessness.

ALEX THE 8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:05 AM
txpd

Quote:
Has Heward indicated that he will re-sign with Washington? From reading the boards, my impression was that he would be dealt...

Bleach Clean
I do not think there has been any indication from the Capitals or media that trading Heward has come up. On the Caps boards here its mentioned because players around him on defense have surpassed him in minutes and in quality of play at one time or another.

Unfortunately in almost every case those players have fallen back and Heward remains steady. He is decent 3rd pair NHL defenseman that owes his shot at an NHL career to Glen Hanlon and George McPhee. I don't think he has much interest in resigning with any other NHL team AND with Green in the AHL, Eminger on the scratch sheet, Jurcina an RFA who is still being evaluated, Erskine and Muir ufa's I honestly don't see the Caps trading Heward particularly for Bulis.

Why would the Caps want Bulis? They have Gordon, Sutherby, & Laich on the NHL roster and Steckel in the AHL.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:33 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
As bad as our defense has been, our offense is not far behind. And its very far behind if you factor out the alex's. I think I would welcome back Bulis for Heward/Beech if we are keeping Zednik since they have some chemistry. Heck i would bring back Jan Benda -anything to try and get our second line scoring, while dumping 2 players that are not in our long term plans.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I don't think he has much interest in resigning with any other NHL team AND with Green in the AHL, Eminger on the scratch sheet, Jurcina an RFA who is still being evaluated, Erskine and Muir ufa's I honestly don't see the Caps trading Heward particularly for Bulis.
Erskine will be a RFA.

Old
02-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Atlas

GMGM doesn't like Bulis. The day he traded for Zubrus and Linden he didn't have anything good to say about Bulis. He made a point to say how much it hurt to trade Zednik tho.

Atlas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Let's see...

Heward for Chouinard
DONE! I'll fax Nonis and tell him the good news!

Quote:
I don't think they are looking for a difference maker so to speak, just someone who can help out the offense. Specifically I think they are looking for a center who can compliment Naslund. I think Zubrus would be a solid fit, but I see him re-signing with you guys, he's got a good thing going there.

Quote:

I highly doubt the Canucks would move Edler for Zubrus unless they were sure they could get him signed to a reasonable contract extension. Edler is a solid, young defenseman who has been great for the Canucks. He was a virtual unknown in his draft year and has skyrocketed in the two+ years since. There's no telling where his ceiling is.

It's hard to judge what Zurbus' value would be IMO. He's big, talented center, and those are a important trading chips in the NHL, but if he's strictly a rental, I can't see Nonis offering up a whole lot to get him, certainly not an NHL ready prospect such as Edler.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 04:23 PM
leo2892

Quote:
Let's see...

Heward for Chouinard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think I would welcome back Bulis for Heward/Beech if we are keeping Zednik since they have some chemistry.
Bulis, Chouinard, and a 3rd rounder for Heward and Beech?

leo2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:16 PM
The Viking Fury

We're not taking Bulis back

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Langway
Intangibles

One suggestion over on the main trade board was:

Zubrus + Eminger for Bourdon + 2nd '07 (Ana)

I don't think Zubrus will be moved but I like the thought of acquiring Bourdon. He's got as much upside of any of the Caps' young defensemen players/prospects.

Old
02-18-2007, 05:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
One suggestion over on the main trade board was:

Zubrus + Eminger for Bourdon + 2nd '07 (Ana)

I don't think Zubrus will be moved but I like the thought of acquiring Bourdon. He's got as much upside of any of the Caps' young defensemen players/prospects.

Talk about overpay....jesus.....forget their 2nd and give us a roster player who has top 6 potential before we even get serious...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote