HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prendergast interview on Edmontonoilers.com

Old
02-16-2007, 08:07 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Prendergast interview on Edmontonoilers.com

Very interesting interview that touched on a lot of points that we have been discussing on the boards. I have tried to put the various points that he made in some semblance of order as they didn't really go in any order. I will start with the most important questions and one that we have discussed ad nauseam and here are the answer from the horse's mouth and I constantly paused the tape to get the answer almost verbatim to what he said.

Why have the Oilers waited so long to make a trade? It's not for lack of trying. It's a tough situation, they want to take a big chuck of our future. It's a two edge sword; do we give a big chunk of our future to try to get into the playoffs or wait and have some patience? (obviously he is talking about letting his team develop when he says wait) Feels that we have a good team they just haven't been consistent. Teams are offering high priced players on the downside of their career (and have longer term contracts) that we don't feel will be part of our team down the road. Wants to make a trade that makes us better (obviously puck moving dman). They are not easy to come by. Kevin is on the phone everyday but anybody that thinks we are not trying to strengthen our team or get into the playoffs is wrong. We have targeted teams, team targeting the Oilers. If they can get a player that they feel will help them, they will make the move in a heartbeat. Will not make a lateral move just to make a move!

Here is the other thing that we have been discussing Ad-nauseam. (makes me think that yes the Oilers do peruse this board and know the fans are on edge!

Are we a Buyer/seller

Teams fighting for a playoff spot owe it to the fans to do the best to get that playoff spot (good point for those that think that Lowe should have been a seller a month ago) if you get to the point on Feb 26th that you know you can't make up the difference than you can trade for the future. (and now I feel smart) because as I said in another thread if the Oilers get 8 points on this road trip he feels we will be a buyer, he wants to be a buyer

Specific players

Poti not available, Islanders very thin on defence.

Brewer may be available but due to our position we will not pay an extremely high price for a rental and St. Louis is trying to sign him, price may come down closer to the deadline.

Samsonov - not happening, too much money. Salary cap issues. Have to plan far into the future when planning salary. He is not a fit in Edmonton.

The Oilers plan to pursue the UFA market heavily in the summer.

Trades/Free Agents

Talking to teams on a daily basis, had scouting meeting just the other day. Went though every teams needs/wants, always trying to find the right fit (harder in the new CBA). Teams phone the Oilers every day.

Would the Oilers trade one of their picks for a dman - He woudn't rule it out but it would have to be a dman that would help us, one that he knows would make the team and not just be a parallel basis with what we already have

Cannot make mistakes in the Free agent market because you pay a premium and you can be stuck with a player.

Amateur scouting even more important with the new CBA for three reasons

1. As trading chips and blocks.
2. To put pressure on veteran players in organization.
3. Opens up trades for veterans if they can take that spot.

Have you ever received a trade proposal that made you laugh because it is so ridiculous? Everyday, they sometimes try to throw things at you to see if the spaghetti will stick and sometimes we try the same thing. Teams value players differently.

Prospects

Robbie Schremp - He has come a long way, he needs to learn defence. He really needs to improve on that part of this game, and has made progress. They will be very patient with him. Coaching staff in Wilkes-Barre have been excellent with him, Kelly Buchberger has spent lots of time with him. It's very foreign to him as his whole career he has concentrated on offence and really didn't understand anything defensively before this year. Kevin did see the AHL shootout, he gifted, a great kid and they are happy that he is in the organization but he needs to learn to play the game (faceoff, defensive game). They need his defensive game to get to a point to where he is not going to hurt us. They asked him what he would do if he tried a Lacrosse style shoot out in Edmonton and his answer was that if he scored the fans would raise the roof on Rexall place but if he missed MacT would shoot him. You have to have patience with players and put them into an opportunity to succeed and not fail. Patience has already helped with Pouliot.

Kyle Brodziak - If he hadn't broke his finger he would be on the Oilers right now, he has had a tremendous year. He has made the biggest jump in his game.

Draft - first pick in 2007, not 5, no superstar. Will come down to playoff performances. Background checks are done on all players, key ingredient on ice. Build a list of 150 players and separate them as well into position. Talked about the NFL and how they get to draft at 21, here is is 18 ,asked about whether that will change, can't because of the law (I will interject and say it was an Ex-Oiler that challenged the draft age in the courts and won, Kenny Linseman). College kids have four year before they have to be signed unless they don't stay in school (Cogliano, Chorney) and that is why the Oiler picked both those player and draft a lot of college players.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Thanks for this. Usually don't bother to sit there and listen to the interviews, so this was nice.

Hmm.. It worries me slightly that we're banking heavily on the UFA market this summer, but at the same time, we really don't have very many options.

The Brodziak part just confirmed what most of us already knew. Had a nice chuckle about the Schremp shootout part, but wouldn't the lacrosse move be illegal anyways?

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:33 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Thanks for this. Usually don't bother to sit there and listen to the interviews, so this was nice.

Hmm.. It worries me slightly that we're banking heavily on the UFA market this summer, but at the same time, we really don't have very many options.

The Brodziak part just confirmed what most of us already knew. Had a nice chuckle about the Schremp shootout part, but wouldn't the lacrosse move be illegal anyways?
I really don't think we have to bank on it. That was the one part of the interview that suprised me.

But then again, a couple of players would bolster the team but it not essential.

We are not that far away to being a contender.

Old
02-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Digger12

I find it so weird that KP would state so emphatically that they would not make a lateral move just to make a move, yet I swear not a couple of weeks ago Lowe said he was looking for a lateral move to shake up the club, but there were none to be had.

So many mixed messages with this club, I swear sometimes it seems like they make up their strategies as they go along.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:40 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I find it so weird that KP would state so emphatically that they would not make a lateral move just to make a move, yet I swear not a couple of weeks ago Lowe said he was looking for a lateral move to shake up the club, but there were none to be had.

So many mixed messages with this club, I swear sometimes it seems like they make up their strategies as they go along.
I don't remember Lowe saying he was looking to make a lateral trade, do you have a link?

Old
02-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I don't remember Lowe saying he was looking to make a lateral trade, do you have a link?
Unfortunately, no.

I'll try to find one, but I can't promise anything. Believe me or not, doesn't matter to me.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Quote:
yah, a link would be good. I dont remember hearing that either, i Swear the people who are dead set on trading everyone over the age of 27 and hate Lowe with passion are making things up to fit their agenda.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
I am pretty sure it was on the pipeline show. And, I'm pretty sure Lowe said it too; although he didn't say he was "looking to make a lateral move" rather that he was prepared to make one to get the guys thinking and playing harder.

There is a link in one of Guy's threads.

Poochiemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:02 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochiemoo View Post
I am pretty sure it was on the pipeline show. And, I'm pretty sure Lowe said it too; although he didn't say he was "looking to make a lateral move" rather that he was prepared to make one to get the guys thinking and playing harder.

There is a link in one of Guy's threads.
That I remember but as you said he didn't say he was looking to make a lateral move.

I haven't heard that or read that anywhere.

Old
02-16-2007, 09:07 PM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
That I remember but as you said he didn't say he was looking to make a lateral move.

I haven't heard that or read that anywhere.
But, he did say he would make one to shake things up if needed.

Poochiemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
The Oilers plan to pursue the UFA market heavily in the summer.
Sorry to be negative here but this part I will believe it when I see it. We are not the type of team to go throw money around and outbid other teams over hot UFA's. Which is what has to be done to "pursue the UFA market heavily" They have been saying that the last two years.

They did get Sykora but they waited until everyone else had spent their money (and all the real juicy agents were gone - including a lot of really good D men - just imagine for one example if we had gotten a Willie Mitchell even, he has been outstanding for the 'Nucks) and there were not a lot of teams willing to add another 3 million guy at that point. Besides Sykie it was Tjarnqvist, Ulanov and Harvey (I refer to true UFAs and not our own players we re-signed before they went UFA) I think that were our last big UFA fish reeled in.

Otherwise really interesting stuff. Thank you very much HA101 for doing that, transcribing is a chore, you are a trooper.

Cheers

P.S. - I can tell you are from closer to my era saying you paused the tape on the streaming internet interview.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 09:59 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Sorry to be negative here but this part I will believe it when I see it.
Yeah, Prendergast has always made some comments in the past that raised more than a few eyebrows.

He was the one predicting Mikhnov would replace Samsanov on the first line, among other predictions.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 10:38 PM
hockeyaddict101

I do believe the Oilers signed the most UFA's in the entire NHL last year but it was overshadowed by the players that left.

Old
02-16-2007, 10:41 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
I do believe the Oilers signed the most UFA's in the entire NHL last year but it was overshadowed by the players that left.
Quality, not quantity

Old
02-16-2007, 10:44 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
Quality, not quantity
Sykora has been a pretty quality signing, so has Roloson.

Some have been great for depth, where would we be now without Reasoner, after the injuries to both Pisani (very valuable on special teams, quality UFA signing) and Stoll.

You don't have to be a superstar to be a "quality" signing.

Old
02-16-2007, 11:01 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Sykora has been a pretty quality signing, so has Roloson.

Some have been great for depth, where would we be now without Reasoner, after the injuries to both Pisani (very valuable on special teams, quality UFA signing) and Stoll.

You don't have to be a superstar to be a "quality" signing.
I guess it depends what you consider a UFA signing. Roloson/Pisani weren't typical UFA's, and I believe they signed before July 1 anyways.

Sykora has been decent, I agree.

Reasoner? He's had a horrible year. Tjarnqvist was soild for the first while, but has been damaged goods since.

If this is what we should expect, I'm not that optimistic.

Old
02-16-2007, 11:09 PM
lupultheukie

Thanks for the summary-all very interesting stuff.

lupultheukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Gusher

Quote:

Reasoner? He's had a horrible year.
Why? What more do you want from a 4th line Centre and PK'er? I think he's done a great job considering what his role is with this team.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:13 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I guess it depends what you consider a UFA signing. Roloson/Pisani weren't typical UFA's, and I believe they signed before July 1 anyways.

Sykora has been decent, I agree.

Reasoner? He's had a horrible year. Tjarnqvist was soild for the first while, but has been damaged goods since.

If this is what we should expect, I'm not that optimistic.
Any player that could have signed elsewhere and signed with their teams is still a UFA signing.

You and I disagree on Reasoner, which player has the best faceoff percentage on the Oilers? Reasoner and he kills penalties, what did you expect from Reasoner? He is doing exactly what he was signed to do.

It seems to me you only believe players are valuable if they perform offensively. Tjarnqvist has been injured, that can happen to any player.

Old
02-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Are we talking true UFA's or our own players that we signed before they hit UFA status? If so I am shocked we are the leader after signing 2 of them. Oops I forgot Reasoner...

I think most before the season started on here knew what we needed most on the UFA market was a top 3 type D man. There were a handful out there, you had to pay handsomely but the Oil always talk about being serious players and all of that stuff like Pendergast above.

Reasoner has been better lately but overall I find this season a little disappointing for him. Though some of that has to do with the way he is used. I think some stats guys did a break down earlier in the year and Marty was not getting the results he was in past seasons.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 11:43 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Are we talking true UFA's or our own players that we signed before they hit UFA status? If so I am shocked we are the leader after signing 2 of them. Oops I forgot Reasoner...

I think most before the season started on here knew what we needed most on the UFA market was a top 3 type D man. There were a handful out there, you had to pay handsomely but the Oil always talk about being serious players and all of that stuff like Pendergast above.

Reasoner has been better lately but overall I find this season a little disappointing for him. Though some of that has to do with the way he is used. I think some stats guys did a break down earlier in the year and Marty was not getting the results he was in past seasons.
Yes I am going to count our own UFA's ESPECIALLY after the negative press we got when they do not choose to stay here!

So basically I shouldn't count them if they are UFA's and played here last year and do choose to stay here but when they don't choose to stay here I have to read a dozen negative threads about how no one wants to sign here?

HMM, seems pretty hypocritical don't you think?

Old
02-16-2007, 11:44 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Any player that could have signed elsewhere and signed with their teams is still a UFA signing.
So is Shane Doan a UFA signing by Phoenix? Moreau and Staios? Recall that Roloson and Pisani signed before July 1.

Quote:
You and I disagree on Reasoner, which player has the best faceoff percentage on the Oilers? Reasoner and he kills penalties, what did you expect from Reasoner? He is doing exactly what he was signed to do.
He's not the same Reasoner pre-knee injury. He's getting murdered 5 on 5, and any offence game he had, has been pretty non-existent.

Quote:
It seems to me you only believe players are valuable if they perform offensively.
It seems to me you're wrong on making false assumptions like this

Quote:
Tjarnqvist has been injured, that can happen to any player.
Still doesn't change my opinion that quality of UFA's matter more than quality. Who is going to be thrilled if we sign Jani Rita or Todd Harvey in July 07.

KP says the team is going to be active in the UFA market? I'll take a wait and see approach. Talk is cheap. Second, the quality of the UFA's matter more so, then quantity

Last edited by PunjabiOil*: 02-16-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old
02-16-2007, 11:47 PM
PunjabiOil*

Players will want to play here, if they get offered top money as most UFA's get.

How did Boston land Chara and Savard? Offered them long term contracts, at top dollar. Nashville? Jason Arnott. Dallas? Toronto? Kubina, Gill.

Old
02-16-2007, 11:57 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
So is Shane Doan a UFA signing by Phoenix?

He's not the same Reasoner pre-knee injury. He's getting murdered 5 on 5, and any offence game he had, has been pretty non-existent.

It seems to me you're wrong on making false assumptions like this

Still doesn't change my opinion that quality of UFA's matter more than quality. Who is going to be thrilled if we sign Jani Rita or Todd Harvey in July 07.

KP says the team is going to be active in the UFA market? I'll take a wait and see approach. Talk is cheap. Second, the quality of the UFA's matter more so, then quantity
No Doan is not an official UFA signing but would you not agree that he wanted to play in Phoenix? Pretty obvious that this is the case.

Oh good you can read plus/minus stats! I hate +/-, everyone looks at that stat like it is some kind of God like stat. Most of the Oiler have crap +/-. Reasoner was signed as a 4th line depth player! I ask again, what did you expect from him? Pretty valuable signing considering our injuries! I can't even imagine not having him in the lineup right now.

As for my assumption of you only realizing the value of offensive players, pretty easy assumption to make, considering that most Oiler fans realize the value of Reasoner (especially now!)

I will remember your comments when a star player that is a UFA gets a season ending injury next year. I will comment on how stupid of a signing he was. I would get laughed off the board and rightfully so. No team can predict injuries.

This post is another example of how the negative is turning ridiculous. Tjarnqvist was a bad UFA signing because he got injured?

Old
02-17-2007, 12:21 AM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
No Doan is not an official UFA signing but would you not agree that he wanted to play in Phoenix? Pretty obvious that this is the case.
What's pretty obvious is you trying to change the definition of a UFA (Unrestricted Free Agent). If you can agree that Doan is not a UFA signing, then it's OBVIOUS Pisani and Roloson were not UFA's by definition. Put an end to it. Period. Move on.

Quote:
Oh good you can read plus/minus stats! I hate +/-, everyone looks at that stat like it is some kind of God like stat. Most of the Oiler have crap +/-.
Did I mention plus/minus Miss Touchy?

He's playing the softer minutes, and despite that, on the 4th line, is getting outscored. Definitely not the same depth player he used to be.

Quote:
Reasoner was signed as a 4th line depth player! I ask again, what did you expect from him?
Better numbers offensively (34 points in 77 games last year).

Better job defensively. Players playing on the 4th line should not be getting outplayed like they have this year. Reasoner is +17/-29 at even strength. Thus far he has contributed very little offense and has one of the worst goals against averages on the team. He has not had a good year by any stretch.

He wasn't signed as a 4th line depth player - he was signed as a cheap replacement to Peca, something he failed to do so. Recall the RPM line back in 2002-2003, and part of 2003-2004? That was dominant. I'll give him that he's been playing with poor linemates this year.

Quote:
Pretty valuable signing considering our injuries! I can't even imagine not having him in the lineup right now.
Yeah, he's really helping the team win games.

Quote:
As for my assumption of you only realizing the value of offensive players, pretty easy assumption to make, considering that most Oiler fans realize the value of Reasoner (especially now!)
The voices inside your head don't count as ''most Oiler fans."

Reasoner is a solid player, and nowhere did I say I opposed the signing...that being said, this just isn't his year. Call a spade a spade.

Quote:
I will remember your comments when a star player that is a UFA gets a season ending injury next year.
Talk about taking a message board this seriously.

Quote:
This post is another example of how the negative is turning ridiculous.
Sorry I don't follow the ''rah rah'' mentality. All I mentioned is that I'll take a wait and see approach to KP's comments, and quality of the UFA's, not quantity, is much more important.

Quote:
Tjarnqvist was a bad UFA signing because he got injured?
Where was that ever mentioned. I supported the signing. He's a much better player than Greene and Smid today. That doesn't make him an excellent signing though.

Last edited by PunjabiOil*: 02-17-2007 at 12:33 AM.