HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prendergast interview on Edmontonoilers.com

Old
02-17-2007, 12:43 AM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
What's pretty obvious is you trying to change the definition of a UFA (Unrestricted Free Agent). If you can agree that Doan is not a UFA signing, then it's OBVIOUS Pisani and Roloson were not UFA's by definition. Put an end to it. Period. Move on.

Did I mention plus/minus Miss Touchy?

He's playing the softer minutes, and despite that, on the 4th line, is getting outscored. Definitely not the same depth player he used to be.

Better numbers offensively (34 points in 77 games last year).

Better job defensively. Players playing on the 4th line should not be getting outplayed like they have this year.

He wasn't signed as a 4th line depth player - he was signed as a cheap replacement to Peca, something he failed to do so. Recall the RPM line back in 2002-2003, and part of 2003-2004? That was dominant. I'll give him that he's been playing with poor linemates this year.

Yeah, he's really helping the team win games.

The voices inside your head don't count as ''most Oiler fans."

Reasoner is a solid player, and nowhere did I say I opposed the signing...that being said, this just isn't his year. Call a spade a spade.

Talk about taking a message board this seriously.

Sorry I don't follow the ''rah rah'' mentality. All I mentioned is that I'll take a wait and see approach to KP's comments, and quality of the UFA's, not quantity, is much more important.

Where was that ever mentioned. I supported the signing. He's a much better player than Greene and Smid today. That doesn't make him an excellent signing though.
I am not going to move on because you don't want to answer the question! Did Shane Doan choose to stay with the Coyotes or not. Yes or No! BTW since you want to be so technical. Roloson was signed AFTER free agency started if you want to get really technical so even technically he was an OFFICIAL UFA signing!

Reasoner is a fourth line player, by definition a 4th line player gets soft minutes. It is obvious you have no idea what a utility player is? But then again I am talking to a person that doesn't even realize the value of Marty Reasoner?

He was signed as Peca's replacement? No wonder you aren't happy, your expectations were way too high! He is a utility forward. Though he does have about the same amount points than Peca got last year for a lot less money ZING!!

No kidding you dont follow the Rah, Rah mentality? When was the last time you said anything positive about the Oilers, I wonder why you even watch the Oilers? Are you an Oiler fan?

I can be negative too but I have never seen a positive statement from you about ANYTHING Oiler ever.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 12:53 AM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I am not going to move on because you don't want to answer the question! Did Shane Doan choose to stay with the Coyotes or not. Yes or No!
You can add a few more exclamation marks if you want.

Yes, Doan decided to stay with the Coyotes - although that is completely irrelevant to my point of ''quality over quantity."

Further, you are clearly changing the definition of a UFA. You don't consider Doan a UFA signing, but Pisani/Roloson are?

Quote:
BTW since you want to be so technical. Roloson was signed AFTER free agency started if you want to get really technical so even technically he was an OFFICIAL UFA signing!
Nope, I'm pretty sure the deal was signed before 10am MT, the start of the UFA period.

Quote:
Reasoner is a fourth line player, by definition a 4th line player gets soft minutes. It is obvious you have no idea what a utility player is? But then again I am talking to a person that doesn't even realize the value of Marty Reasoner?
A utility player is only useful if they're playing well on ES. The numbers do nothing but suggest Reasoner has created little offence, despite playing a good stretch with Smyth, and has been scored on defensively.

Cover your eyes with wool though, if you wish.

Quote:
He was signed as Peca's replacement? No wonder you aren't happy, your expectations were way too high!
Better than low expectations. I was expecting the 2002-2003, 2003-2004, or even last year's 2005-2006 Reasoner. He's disappointed.
Quote:
Though he does have about the same amount points than Peca got last year for a lot less money ZING!!
More offence means nothing much if it comes at the expense of poorer defence. Peca was playing the toughest minutes after mid-season, and doing a hell of a good job outscoring.

Lupul, right? Measure him by goals only, and he's an all-star on our team.

Quote:
No kidding you dont follow the Rah, Rah mentality? When was the last time you said anything positive about the Oilers, I wonder why you even watch the Oilers? Are you an Oiler fan?

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 02-17-2007 at 01:16 AM. Reason: You can insult me, lets not insult another poster too.
PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 01:12 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
You can add a few more exclamation marks if you want.

Yes, Doan decided to stay with the Coyotes - although that is completely irrelevant to my point of ''quality over quantity."

Further, you are clearly changing the definition of a UFA. You don't consider Doan a UFA signing, but Pisani/Roloson are?

Nope, I'm pretty sure the deal was signed before 10am MT, the start of the UFA period.

A utility player is only useful if they're playing well on ES. The numbers do nothing but suggest Reasoner has created little offence, despite playing a good stretch with Smyth, and has been scored on defensively.

Cover your eyes with wool though, if you wish.

Better than low expectations. I was expecting the 2002-2003, 2003-2004, or even last year's 2005-2006 Reasoner. He's disappointed.

More offence means nothing much if it comes at the expense of poorer defence. Peca was playing the toughest minutes after mid-season, and doing a hell of a good job outscoring.

Lupul, right? Measure him by goals only, and he's an all-star on our team.

No I believe he signed right after the signing started but really my point is the same. It is hypocritical to post critical thread about losing UFA's but not give the players any credit when the forego UFA free agency. Doan choose to not become an UFA because he wanted to stay a Coyote! Pretty obvious I like explanation marks.

So Reasoner has not helped at all especially now with the injuries to Stoll and Pisani? If you were expecting the same Reasoner as before then you clearly don't pay attention to the game. I already knew he wasn't that same player so my expectations weren't as high as yours were. I expected a fourth line guy that woudn't get a lot of ice time and would be able to fill in case of injury (the defintion of a utility forward) That is exactly what he has done and what was expected of him. You were expecting Peca's defensive game? Sorry not a chance. Perhaps that is your problem you have unreaonable expectations and when the players don't meet them you get upset.

I have been accused of being too negative at times and too positive at times. Which shows I post positive comment and negative comments. When was the last time you posted a positive comment about anything Oiler? Since you didn't bother answering the question and instead insulted me by insulting another poster I would assume the answer is NEVER!

You are the negative version of a poster that is always postive! You are the epitomy or what you just accused me of!

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 02-17-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old
02-17-2007, 01:56 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
I don't remember Lowe saying he was looking to make a lateral trade, do you have a link?
I thought I heard him say that too , so I checked the archives of Tencer's show on the 630 CHED site . He did say it . During the interview on Feb 8th ( at the 10:30 mark ) he says ; " .... if we could do a lateral move to sort of jump start the team between now and the deadline I'd certainly like to do it " .

I'm with those who say a lateral move isn't what we need at all . And I'd like to believe that was just Lowe's feeling at that point in time . As the points slip away so does any reason to " jump start the team " . Lateral doesn't help us now .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I thought I heard him say that too , so I checked the archives of Tencer's show on the 630 CHED site . He did say it . During the interview on Feb 8th ( at the 10:30 mark ) he says ; " .... if we could do a lateral move to sort of jump start the team between now and the deadline I'd certainly like to do it " .

I'm with those who say a lateral move isn't what we need at all . And I'd like to believe that was just Lowe's feeling at that point in time . As the points slip away so does any reason to " jump start the team " . Lateral doesn't help us now .
Thanks...so I wasn't going crazy or "making things up" after all.

I should be fair though, given that the two quotes are over a week apart perhaps it's a bit harsh to colour them as mixed messages. A week ago, things were probably a bit more optimistic amongst Oilers management than they are now.

A win vs. Toronto sure would make a big difference in this team's psyche.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 02:44 AM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post

Otherwise really interesting stuff. Thank you very much HA101 for doing that, transcribing is a chore, you are a trooper.

Ditto. Also, thanks again for posting the morning news when you can.

Poochiemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
I do believe the Oilers signed the most UFA's in the entire NHL last year but it was overshadowed by the players that left.
Very good point HA101. Thanks for posting this btw.

Again, I'm going to sound like a negative grouch and I've tried to stay positive for most of the season, but I am a little tired about not wanting to give up a good part of the future, etc...Again, is "the future" worth the same today than a few years ago? I don't think so. The only time a time should think about the future is when handing out long-term lucrative guaranted contracts that go against the cap for 4 or 5 years.

In terms of prospects, when a player can be UFA as early as 25 years old, how much is he really worth? Second, fans of every organization tend to over-value prospects. Are the Oilers really that deep or are the Oilers prospects really that attractive to other teams? The question is: Is it the Oilers who don't want to trade OR maybe other don't want the Oilers' prospects?

You know what this season reminds me of? A few season when Sather was boss and refused to make trades and tried to shake things up internally. I'm never against a lateral trade to shake things up, although I prefer no trades in the first place if the team is winning.

I won't change my stance about the Oilers not having the ability to trade because not all trades have to be blockbusters. Sometimes a smaller trade can shake chemistry up in a good way.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Quote:
What's pretty obvious is you trying to change the definition of a UFA (Unrestricted Free Agent). If you can agree that Doan is not a UFA signing, then it's OBVIOUS Pisani and Roloson were not UFA's by definition. Put an end to it. Period. Move on.

He's playing the softer minutes, and despite that, on the 4th line, is getting outscored. Definitely not the same depth player he used to be.

Better job defensively. Players playing on the 4th line should not be getting outplayed like they have this year. Reasoner is +17/-29 at even strength. Thus far he has contributed very little offense and has one of the worst goals against averages on the team. He has not had a good year by any stretch.

He wasn't signed as a 4th line depth player - he was signed as a cheap replacement to Peca, something he failed to do so. Recall the RPM line back in 2002-2003, and part of 2003-2004? That was dominant. I'll give him that he's been playing with poor linemates this year.

Reasoner is a solid player, and nowhere did I say I opposed the signing...that being said, this just isn't his year. Call a spade a spade.

Sorry I don't follow the ''rah rah'' mentality. All I mentioned is that I'll take a wait and see approach to KP's comments, and quality of the UFA's, not quantity, is much more important.

Where was that ever mentioned. I supported the signing. He's a much better player than Greene and Smid today. That doesn't make him an excellent signing though.
Dude, you need to calm down and stop arguing for the sake of arguing. We get it, we know you hate the Oilers and want to blow the team the up. Put an end to it, period, move on.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:35 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
I'll stay out of the discussion between you two, but just letting you know that there was a conditional 3rd round pick in the Roloson trade conditional on the Oilers signing Roli before the UFA period starts. We never gave that pick up, so obviously Roloson was signed after the UFA period started.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:56 AM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
Dude, you need to calm down and stop arguing for the sake of arguing. We get it, we know you hate the Oilers and want to blow the team the up. .
Yup, great insight.

I hate the team enough to watch a double OT game Oilers game the night before a 50% final.

Old
02-17-2007, 12:03 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
No I believe he signed right after the signing started but really my point is the same. It is hypocritical to post critical thread about losing UFA's but not give the players any credit when the forego UFA free agency. Doan choose to not become an UFA because he wanted to stay a Coyote!
Yet, still a UFA is a UFA. Pisani/Roloson weren't really UFA's. They may have forgone free agency, as did Moreau/Staios, but they simply weren't UFA's.

How did the Oilers retain them? Throw all of them, money and longer term deals. Which is how exactly free agency goes - the highest bidder wins.

I also don't change my stance, my original argument, that quality of UFA's matter, rather than quantity. The Oilers signing 3 UFA's last year is still not the same thing as signing one Marc Savard, or a Zdeno Chara.

Quote:
So Reasoner has not helped at all especially now with the injuries to Stoll and Pisani?
Present some evidence to back up your claim that Reasoner is contributing right now to winning games. I did.

Quote:
I have been accused of being too negative at times and too positive at times. Which shows I post positive comment and negative comments.
You are on the side of a homer, but I have no problem with that. I don't go out calling you out, as everyone is different. You, on the other hand seems to have a problem with me. Moderators 101: Focus on the opinion, not the person.

Quote:
When was the last time you posted a positive comment about anything Oiler? Since you didn't bother answering the question and instead insulted me by insulting another poster I would assume the answer is NEVER!
Search function would come in handy. Late summer (august)/early part of season, and of course, basically all of the 2006 playoffs.

What have the Oilers really done to inspire me to make a positive comment? I don't see any purpose for making positive comments just for the sake of making positive comments.

Last edited by PunjabiOil*: 02-17-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old
02-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Yes I am going to count our own UFA's ESPECIALLY after the negative press we got when they do not choose to stay here!

So basically I shouldn't count them if they are UFA's and played here last year and do choose to stay here but when they don't choose to stay here I have to read a dozen negative threads about how no one wants to sign here?

HMM, seems pretty hypocritical don't you think?
I really respect you a lot HA so I really would rather not get in a big thing over it but it seems like lately if anyone dares to have a negative opinion or are critical in anyway of the the Oil brass or the coaching staff or any players you are getting your shackles up.

I have a right to feel the way I do about it. If we are talking UFA seasons here the most important one teeming with superb UFAs we should have been a big player at was the Summer after the lockout. Instead we got Ulanov and under bid Kariya by all reports by at least 1.5 million (some seemed to indicated 2 mill). Then one of our big holes after goaltending that year was top 2 line scoring (inserting Laraque, Harvey et al) and if it was not for Vancouver we do not make (and certainly did not deserve to make) the playoffs last year due to those 2 big holes. One of which the scoring could have been plugged before the season started.

So I will have my opinion whether it bugs you are not that the Oil could do more on the free agent market and had they done more last Summer we might not have this wreck on the back end and even despite our disappointing offense would be likely be in a playoff spot had we thrown that money at one of the big D's. We can debate whether D men are available now for trade but there is no debating there were good ones on the UFA market last summer (yes they were expensive but we had the Cap space and the extreme need).

As far as people in general being a bit negative, why are you so surprised?

It looks as if we are going to miss the playoffs (deservedly so) and we did not deserve the playoffs last year but Vancouver decided we did, the rest is history.

We have been promised for 4 or 5 years it will all be so different if we can only get a salary cap and an level playing field. So what has changed so far as results go? Had we not had that luck last season we could be starting the post CBA by missing the playoffs 2 years running.

All of these lofty our goaltending and scoring will be so wonderful that our D will be just fine promises (by management) have clearly went up in smoke. I am a big Smid fan but the kid needs time yet (and should not have been had to be thrown in the deep end like his has this year) and the return on the Pronger trade that was supposed to set us up for this year and years beyond according to Lowe is not looking so hot at present (it has taken me most of the year to finally admit to this).

This team has not surpassed 100 points in nearly 20 years. When is all this rebuilding (over a decade) + economic leveled playing fields going to yield some results in the regular season? I think that is a fair question.

All of this I have listed is just scratching the surface (no AHL team etc.. etc..) and combine that right at the present with the realization we are probably not making the playoffs and another year of mediocrity is the result is just sinking in with a lot of us and it is hard to be cheery at the moment. As much as it gets under your skin HA101 a lot of us feel validated in feeling the way we do and feel we have a point in being a little critical.

Quote:
Dude, you need to calm down and stop arguing for the sake of arguing. We get it, we know you hate the Oilers and want to blow the team the up. Put an end to it, period, move on.
These boards about debate, arguments and expressing opinions. So please stop being ignorant to a poster for expressing him/herself and it is ridiculous that people get accused of hating the team they love and follow and support just because they do not wear rose coloured glasses all the time.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Quote:
I really respect you a lot HA so I really would rather not get in a big thing over it but it seems like lately if anyone dares to have a negative opinion or are critical in anyway of the the Oil brass or the coaching staff or any players you are getting your shackles up.

I have a right to feel the way I do about it. If we are talking UFA seasons here the most important one teeming with superb UFAs we should have been a big player at was the Summer after the lockout. Instead we got Ulanov and under bid Kariya by all reports by at least 1.5 million (some seemed to indicated 2 mill). Then one of our big holes after goaltending that year was top 2 line scoring (inserting Laraque, Harvey et al) and if it was not for Vancouver we do not make (and certainly did not deserve to make) the playoffs last year due to those 2 big holes. One of which the scoring could have been plugged before the season started.

So I will have my opinion whether it bugs you are not that the Oil could do more on the free agent market and had they done more last Summer we might not have this wreck on the back end and even despite our disappointing offense would be likely be in a playoff spot had we thrown that money at one of the big D's. We can debate whether D men are available now for trade but there is no debating there were good ones on the UFA market last summer (yes they were expensive but we had the Cap space and the extreme need).

As far as people in general being a bit negative, why are you so surprised?

It looks as if we are going to miss the playoffs (deservedly so) and we did not deserve the playoffs last year but Vancouver decided we did, the rest is history.

We have been promised for 4 or 5 years it will all be so different if we can only get a salary cap and an level playing field. So what has changed so far as results go? Had we not had that luck last season we could be starting the post CBA by missing the playoffs 2 years running.

All of these lofty our goaltending and scoring will be so wonderful that our D will be just fine promises (by management) have clearly went up in smoke. I am a big Smid fan but the kid needs time yet (and should not have been had to be thrown in the deep end like his has this year) and the return on the Pronger trade that was supposed to set us up for this year and years beyond according to Lowe is not looking so hot at present (it has taken me most of the year to finally admit to this).

This team has not surpassed 100 points in nearly 20 years. When is all this rebuilding (over a decade) + economic leveled playing fields going to yield some results in the regular season? I think that is a fair question.

All of this I have listed is just scratching the surface and combine that right at the present with the realization we are probably not making the playoffs and another year of mediocrity is the result is just sinking in with a lot of us and it is hard to be cheery at the moment. As much as it gets under your skin HA101 a lot of us feel validated in feeling the way we do and feel we have a point in being a little critical.
you certainly do have a right to feel the way you do, does that mean you need to yell your opinion from the rooftop every chance you can? no, the same negative comments get posted every day, in multiple threads, its gets stale, old and downright ridiculous after a while.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
you certainly do have a right to feel the way you do, does that mean you need to yell your opinion from the rooftop every chance you can? no, the same negative comments get posted every day, in multiple threads, its gets stale, old and downright ridiculous after a while.
Then do not read it and do not comment on it. Because there is a right to say it. I usually am pretty positive overall but a lot of things are just adding up for me right now. All you are doing is prolonging and encouraging more of it and accusing people who are every bit as dedicated a fan as not being a fan is complete garbage and you should not lower yourself to going there.

I have never missed 1 single game since the start of the 90s when I became an Oil fan. I either watched or listened to every game or attended and then just because a critical opinion gets posted people like you jump in all high and mighty and throw around the I am a holier than thou Oil fan and you are not.

At least HA101 has a viewpoint and can debate things rationally. That is why I have so much respect for her. I am sure some of my feelings will subside a bit with time (the missing playoffs thing is stinging a lot right now) but we do not deserve to be attacked for them which is what you were doing saying he hates our team. If anything posting those critical comments and debating them is almost like a therapeutic, you should try it sometime.

Old
02-17-2007, 12:39 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:

I have never missed 1 single game since the start of the 90s when I became an Oil fan. I either watched or listened to every game or attended
That's pretty impressive. Oilerdiehard is an understatement

Old
02-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
That's pretty impressive. Oilerdiehard is an understatement
a bit pathetic I know. What can I say at least I am a 1 sport man and 1 team man or I would have no life at all.

Old
02-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Yanner39

I find this whole situation quite perplexing actually. Everyone here is entitled to their opinions. Lets all get this straight. For me, being negative about the Oilers doesn't make me less of an Oiler fan.

But I am confused as to how some fans can find some positive in the Oilers situation.

1) They are 7 points out of a playoff spot and this 7-game road could not have come at a worst time.

2) Stoll, Pisani and Moreau are hurt.

3) Lowe has been unable to improve his team and this is his job. Lowe was great last year, but since the summer, he has done a below-average job (this is my opinion - I make it based on his inability to address the needs of his team).

4) The PP has sucked for the last 5 seasons (27th in 06/07, 14th, 29th, 19th and 16th.). It doesn't matter who they add, the PP has cost then games.

5) Depth - many of the prospects we thought in TC were closing to making it turns out they are not.

6) Lowe's questionable decisions. How can you invest so much $$ in you goaltender (by the way, I don't mind Roli's contract) yet invest so little in your defense. Roloson isn't Luongo.

7) Prospects of losing Smyth are real.

I get thant some fans want to be optimistic and remain optimistic. I still think this team isn't dead yet. But, I don't blame fans that are negative about the Oilers situation right now.

One of the better Oiler blogs is Lowetide's : http://lowetide.blogspot.com/2007/02...yan-smyth.html

Anyways, this pretty much captures why some Oilers fans are negative about the team they love.

Old
02-17-2007, 12:47 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think this gets to the crux of the problem... at least as far as I'm concerned. Have we ever really rebuilt? The Edmonton Oilers have never had a top 3 pick. Never. 27 years without a top 3 pick is along time.

There has been kind of quasi rebuilds in Edmonton, where star players have been traded - although usually this means we trade for younger, but still NHL players.

Is it worth it to really rebuild? Would it mean we'd be 100 point teams? But the players that make a team dominant are often found in those top few picks. Mind you, going through years of 20 win seasons isn't that appealing either, especially when there are no guarantees.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 12:52 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post

1) They are 7 points out of a playoff spot and this 7-game road could not have come at a worst time.

Mr. Negative.

Only 6 points out of a playoff spot.

Old
02-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Mr Sakich

Love, Love, Love. Love, Love, Love. Love, Love, Love.
There's nothing you can do that can't be done.
Nothing you can sing that can't be sung.
Nothing you can say but you can learn how to play the game. It's easy.
Nothing you can make that can't be made.
No one you can save that can't be saved.
Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time. It's easy.

All you need is love. All you need is love.
All you need is love, love. Love is all you need.

Nothing you can know that isn't known.
Nothing you can see that isn't shown.
Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be. It's easy.

All you need is love (All together, now!) All you need is love. (Everybody!)
All you need is love, love. Love is all you need (love is all you need).

Yee-hai!
Oh yeah!
She loves you, yeah yeah yeah.
She loves you, yeah yeah yeah.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 01:40 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Then do not read it and do not comment on it. Because there is a right to say it. I usually am pretty positive overall but a lot of things are just adding up for me right now. All you are doing is prolonging and encouraging more of it and accusing people who are every bit as dedicated a fan as not being a fan is complete garbage and you should not lower yourself to going there.

I have never missed 1 single game since the start of the 90s when I became an Oil fan. I either watched or listened to every game or attended and then just because a critical opinion gets posted people like you jump in all high and mighty and throw around the I am a holier than thou Oil fan and you are not.

At least HA101 has a viewpoint and can debate things rationally. That is why I have so much respect for her. I am sure some of my feelings will subside a bit with time (the missing playoffs thing is stinging a lot right now) but we do not deserve to be attacked for them which is what you were doing saying he hates our team. If anything posting those critical comments and debating them is almost like a therapeutic, you should try it sometime.
Thank you for that.

We are all frustrated by the season the Oilers are having, I am no different and have lambasted them more than once in my game reviews but that doesn't mean that that we can not acknowledge the positive and post about it.

I was shocked to see someone congratulate Jacque for scoring four goals and have someone say big deal what he has he done for the Oilers....

The negative has gone overboard and so if it kills me I will try to provide another perspective.

Old
02-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Mr. Negative.

Only 6 points out of a playoff spot.

I stand corrected.

Old
02-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Matts

Let me wade in here for a second

Quote:

Better job defensively. Players playing on the 4th line should not be getting outplayed like they have this year. Reasoner is +17/-29 at even strength. Thus far he has contributed very little offense and has one of the worst goals against averages on the team. He has not had a good year by any stretch.

I've always been a big Marty fan and I felt bad for the guy when he missed out on the long run last spring and it maybe even made me hate Rem more than I should've, though I did cheer for Murray when he started to get in on the action and throw the body around like he was 25 again but PJO is right here: Marty has sucked and he was brought in to be a cheap replacement for Peca. It's probably true that A: 19 misses 18 and B: 19's had crap linemates all year but MacT's alluded to the fact that the Oilers 4th line has been giving up way too many goals this year and marty has to take some of that responsibility. I just bring that up because Brodziak could round out a 10-16-78 pivot crew next year and we'd save 500K in the process.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...62115&tab=gbgt

I think Shaggy was a good signing by Lowe but the problem was he got hurt and Lowe did a bad job of assembling d depth and that became apparent first with the Shaggy injury and then the one to 24. Shaggy was playing mad min out of the gate and is still at +2. Biggest problem with that deal is that he broke down. If the Oilers throw big money at Phillips this spring, which I doubt because I think they'll want a dman that cna also work the PP, I'd have no problem bringing Shaggy back and going Phillips-Shaggy-Staios-Smith-Smid and whichever D we get for Torres or Lupul because that's a trade makes sense in a lot of areas. Both guys will be making two mill or more come '08 and we need to re-allocate some more money to the D. This means you offload Greene and Bergy for picks. More than likely though you'll see Smid back as a 4 and greene and someone else as 5 and 6 but we'll wait until october before we let that depress us.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
I've always been a big Marty fan and I felt bad for the guy when he missed out on the long run last spring and it maybe even made me hate Rem more than I should've, though I did cheer for Murray when he started to get in on the action and throw the body around like he was 25 again but PJO is right here: Marty has sucked and he was brought in to be a cheap replacement for Peca. It's probably true that A: 19 misses 18 and B: 19's had crap linemates all year but MacT's alluded to the fact that the Oilers 4th line has been giving up way too many goals this year and marty has to take some of that responsibility. I just bring that up because Brodziak could round out a 10-16-78 pivot crew next year and we'd save 500K in the process.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=p...62115&tab=gbgt

I think Shaggy was a good signing by Lowe but the problem was he got hurt and Lowe did a bad job of assembling d depth and that became apparent first with the Shaggy injury and then the one to 24. Shaggy was playing mad min out of the gate and is still at +2. Biggest problem with that deal is that he broke down. If the Oilers throw big money at Phillips this spring, which I doubt because I think they'll want a dman that cna also work the PP, I'd have no problem bringing Shaggy back and going Phillips-Shaggy-Staios-Smith-Smid and whichever D we get for Torres or Lupul because that's a trade makes sense in a lot of areas. Both guys will be making two mill or more come '08 and we need to re-allocate some more money to the D. This means you offload Greene and Bergy for picks. More than likely though you'll see Smid back as a 4 and greene and someone else as 5 and 6 but we'll wait until october before we let that depress us.
Good post. I think Brodziak may be on the roster regardless next season.

Good points with Shaggy. I actually would not mind bringing him back either, if as you say we can add a good # 2 type D man. If you slide Shaggy back to the 2nd pairing I think he could be very effective in that role along Staios.

I know some might cringe but for next year I hope (does not mean we will but a guy can dream right?) we get that # 2 guy that can put up some numbers. Have Shaggy and Staios on the 2nd pairing and I would like to see Greene and Smid on the bottom pairing (bye bye MAB) next season, Smid is going to be a good one but we are trying to fast track way too hard and too quick for my liking.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 02-17-2007 at 04:59 PM.