HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official TOOTIN POWER GDT February 17: NY Rangers vs Philadelphia Flyers, 1:00p MSG ‎

Old
02-17-2007, 10:01 PM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I understand completely that it isn't their regular game, but you sometimes need to buckle down and let it all hang out once in a while. These guys just don't know how to do that.
Actually I agree there and I recall a handful of games wherein they DID accomplish that, but IMO that handful each season is all you're going to get.

Looking at the larger picture, in the playoffs you need that every night for a month or more. When the Rangers had Messier, Graves, and Beukeboom on their top unit and guys like Tikk, Larmer, Lowe, Wells, Kocur, Matteau, MacTavish, and Anderson scattered throughout the rest of their lineup, such a consistent physical game is possible. Not with the Rangers' current roster, and even Keenan can't make Straka play like Anderson or Graves on a consistent basis.

No. IMO this problem must be rectified by a front office that has little real desire to rectify it. I'm not sure they even see it as a problem (or maybe they do and feel they've addressed it with Avery).

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
One thing for sure is that I think we have very differing opinions on Straka. I actually like the physical game he brings. He's always going into corners and never avoids traffic and inntiaits contact a lot of times out there. I think he's one of our biggest heart and soul guys on the ice.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
One thing for sure is that I think we have very differing opinions on Straka. I actually like the physical game he brings. He's always going into corners and never avoids traffic and inntiaits contact a lot of times out there. I think he's one of our biggest heart and soul guys on the ice.
Straka's just as heart and soul as Shanahan is IMO. Just because the guy has not taken his gloves off to fight like Shanny doesn't make him soft like most people want to say. Which is another thing that I wanted to point out. For all the fuss over Shanny being a hard nosed NA player, he really isnt all that effective in hitting and has only fought once. Yet he is better liked than Straka. Beats me. They're kind of the same player, just Straka is smaller and faster. Both hit and don't mind taking a hit to make a play. They're both admirably N-S and play hard.

Old
02-17-2007, 10:13 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Meh. I don't want to trash Straka here. I think he's fine and certainly the most willing of the formerly-top line to get involved, but I compared him in that post to Adam Graves and Glen Anderson. Do you think Renney can get that level of physical play out of him on a nightly basis? I honestly don't believe he can.

I'll agree again with Il Ragazzone and say that, at this point in Shanahan's career, Renney can't even get that out of Shanahan, a player once every bit as rugged as Graves/Anderson.

Last edited by dedalus: 02-17-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old
02-17-2007, 10:23 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
You want bodies laid out all over the ice but fail to realize our own bodies were knocked out cold before starting to play that kind of style. Good teams can't overcome thuggery and goonery. Philly was out to **** us up from the beginning. Avery, Hollweg, Ward, responded tremendously and made every Ranger fan proud at the Garden, but there comes a point where the level at which Philly was taking it to us was unmatchable.
That is really no way to play. You cannot allow your top players to be run at will just becuase they might continue to get hit. Good teams can and to overcome thuggery. It's called having and "eye for an eye" mantality. No one that can fight Fedoruk? Fine. Have Hollweg go out and smack Gagne. Or Avery take a run at Carter. There is no such thing as saying "They are unmatchable and we are done". That is what gives guys like Fedoruk incentive to go on. The clear knowledge that no response was coming only made him want to do it more. Eventualy, an injury to a Jagr will be caused.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Block More Shots

Sucks we lost but we just gotta get back on track and get a win tommorrow against Chicago. Carolina gained ground on us but we still have 3 games in hand on them AND one game against them. MTL stands still with 64 points...Isles lost, still with 64 points...but Toronto is in 8th with 66 points. Not too great but we're definitely not out of it. Just gotta get a nice streak going again (maybe 3 or 4 wins in a row) and wins the games that matter (Isles, MTL, CAR, TOR).

5 points out of the 8th spot. Toronto will fall apart, I don't see them sticking in that 8th spot. MTL is on a downward spiral right now.

5 points is nothing to make up. If we win our next 2 games and TOR loses their next two, we're only 1 point away. We have a good team but we're going to hit some bumps in the road. Shanny's hurt, Jagr/Malik are banged up, but it's good to have to fight through some adversity. Most of the time, if you succeed, you're going to be better for it.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That is really no way to play. You cannot allow your top players to be run at will just becuase they might continue to get hit. Good teams can and to overcome thuggery. It's called having and "eye for an eye" mantality. No one that can fight Fedoruk? Fine. Have Hollweg go out and smack Gagne. Or Avery take a run at Carter. There is no such thing as saying "They are unmatchable and we are done". That is what gives guys like Fedoruk incentive to go on. The clear knowledge that no response was coming only made him want to do it more. Eventualy, an injury to a Jagr will be caused.

Old
02-17-2007, 10:43 PM
dedalus

Quote:
That is really no way to play. You cannot allow your top players to be run at will just becuase they might continue to get hit ... The clear knowledge that no response was coming only made him want to do it more.
There has to be a deterrent. Ideally you burn the opposition on the power play and stop their physical play with production. But after 6 minutes of PP time today and not one significant scoring opportunity created, the Rangers needed to switch tactics. A new deterrent had to be found, and running Gagne/Pitkanen/Carter/whomever would have been the best way.

Old
02-17-2007, 11:07 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
I've always said that the turn the other cheek mentality preached by Renney is exactly what led to Jagr's injury last season. This afternoon was more of the same. We let the other team run Jagr all nite long and really didn't put up much of a fight. This will not change until Renney is gone. You've got a wimp for a coach and your team will be a reflection of that. Look at the fishies. For years we used to slap them around. Now with Nolan behind the bench that team stands up for each other and actually takes the play to you. It starts from the top. Renney sent a terrible message when he didn't dress Orr; and the players on both teams knew that. Don't think that when Todd saw that Orr was sitting that a smile didn't cross his face. No one else on the Rangers would try and trade puches with Fridge.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:09 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Rangers miss the net 15 times on the power play in the first and the blame for this?

Renney, of course. He was controlling their shots from the bench with a remote control.

Um yea..let me re-quote what I said because obviously you missed it:

Quote:
Why did we lose this game? (besides for the obvious PP)...RENNEY.
Thanks for playing.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:11 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Show me where I ever mentioned making Nylander play physical. I said the EXACT opposite if you bothered to read.
Yea..Chosen has a habbit of making up things i've noticed as well.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:11 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Well this was a nightmare game obviously, but it was just that - one game.

Lundqvist thankfully (and hopefully) is alright, Ward will play and I don't think Malik will be much of a loss. Of course we are going to miss Shanny, but who cares about hockey with him right now..the important thing is he needs to feel better.

Bottom line: This was a bad game but thankfully we go right back out there again and I'll be in the house. I don't care about beating up on people, I just want a convincing win.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Yea..Chosen has a habbit of making up things i've noticed as well.
Hah, yeah, I'd like a response on what I said to him since he clearly got owned pretty good by me.

Old
02-18-2007, 12:07 AM
njdevil26

I gotta say, today was one of ugliest display of classlessness (if that's a word) that I have ever seen from a team. Flyers players, suits, and fans should be ashamed of themselves. Yes, I dislike the Rangers as much as the next Devils fan, but I was really pulling for them today. And I also hope that Shanahan is okay... great player and great leader.

Flyers: get ready you have a couple more losses from us coming to you this season. I hope your first overall draft pick quits hockey so you have nothing to gain from your hysterically funny season. Good thing Forsberg is gone because he is a great player that deserves to be on an actual TEAM.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:22 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
I gotta say, today was one of ugliest display of classlessness (if that's a word) that I have ever seen from a team. Flyers players, suits, and fans should be ashamed of themselves. Yes, I dislike the Rangers as much as the next Devils fan, but I was really pulling for them today. And I also hope that Shanahan is okay... great player and great leader.

Flyers: get ready you have a couple more losses from us coming to you this season. I hope your first overall draft pick quits hockey so you have nothing to gain from your hysterically funny season. Good thing Forsberg is gone because he is a great player that deserves to be on an actual TEAM.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
Are you kidding me...

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:27 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Are you kidding me...
No.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post

Old
02-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Are you kidding me...

Old
02-18-2007, 12:39 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

You know, the Flyers and Rangers, in all likelyhood, will both miss the playoffs this year. The only difference is the Flyers will get a higher draft pick. You guys tanked a while, too, it happens.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre_Daigle View Post
You know, the Flyers and Rangers, in all likelyhood, will both miss the playoffs this year. The only difference is the Flyers will get a higher draft pick. You guys tanked a while, too, it happens.
So you're bragging about sucking more...?

Old
02-18-2007, 12:53 AM
McDonagh27

What other team's fan base can boast these many posts in a GDT? Either we have alot more time on our hands, or it's because we are the most dedicated bunch out there ( I think its the latter)... I'm proud to be a fan of this team.. Get well soon Shanny

McDonagh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Doesn't it seem the Rangers are always five points out of 8th.I took alot of crap for saying the Rangers aren't making the playoffs in another thread.It's performances like yesterday which is why the Rangers will not make the playoffs.The Rangers didn't just lose two points yesterday,they were run out of their building.If this was a fight,the ref would have stopped the fight in the 8th round.Pounded from pillar to post

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:16 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Doesn't it seem the Rangers are always five points out of 8th.I took alot of crap for saying the Rangers aren't making the playoffs in another thread.It's performances like yesterday which is why the Rangers will not make the playoffs.The Rangers didn't just lose two points yesterday,they were run out of their building.If this was a fight,the ref would have stopped the fight in the 8th round.Pounded from pillar to post
Certainly looked that way to me too.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Doesn't it seem the Rangers are always five points out of 8th.I took alot of crap for saying the Rangers aren't making the playoffs in another thread.It's performances like yesterday which is why the Rangers will not make the playoffs.
Who cares what you think still? How nice it is of you to come out after the Rangers lose and trump your own horn. You fail to mention 8th place Toronto with 66 points has a game in hand and 7th place Carolina with 67 points has 3 games in hand. Even 6th place Atlanta with 69 points has three in hand.

It's still VERY doable. And this was one loss.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote