HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT Minnesota Wild @ Nashville Predators2-17-07

Old
02-17-2007, 10:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
Who did Forsberg play with tonight?
Erat and Kariya, the "playmaker line"

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

interesting choice....didn't work eh? Too bad, I was hoping for Preds win Forsberg's first game and all...

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:10 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarface View Post
Forsberg is trying too difficult passes. He needs to shoot more and stop taking the puck always behind the goal.
Hmm.

That position behind the goal is what a certain #99 referred to as 'my office'.

Sure, no goals are scored from there (at least not many).
But a hell of a lot of goals are created from there.

Goalies outright hate having skilled playmakers behind their backs. Because thay don't know what's going to happen.

Will it be a wrap around? Will it be a feed to someone in the slot? Will it be feed to a D? Will it be a setup for a tic-tac-toe play?

And D's hate it to. They don't know what to do.
Cut possible passes? Block the possible recievers and risk an interference call? Or chase the puck holder and risk getting on the wrong side of the puck?

Players like Forsberg isn't just known to setup camp behind the goal, they're known to leave that camp, with a D (or two) hanging on their back, still controlling the puck.

But two things are obvious.
1. He doesn't shoot enough, he never has, and never will.
2. He creates turnovers, lots of them, he always has and always will. It's an automatic result of playing the way he does. Sometimes it's a pass that is so brilliant that it stuns players, audience and experts, sometimes it's just a stupid turnover.

He is, when able to skate, a brilliant hockey player, but he isn't, and hasn't ever been, a Messiah that save any team from doom.

He will be lethal with the Preds when they've found out how to use him and who to play him with.

Remember that he wasn't hired to bring Preds to the playoff, he was hired to help them win the the playoff.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
to make matters worse, detroit is up near the end of the second period.

Fourth place, here we come.
Keep dropping and maybe the Preds will draw the Wings in the first round.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:18 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I'd put Sullivan or Arnott on Forsberg's left side (they both shoot right, correct?) and let them develop chemistry. Peter needs a player that can pull the trigger at any time to play with him, or his passes really just go to waste.
Or put him between Radulov and Hartnell. Hartnell is the big body to work the corners and get in front of the net. Radulov is the "trigger man".

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
The whole "bomb homerun passes up the middle" thing worked great last year, as did the whole "keep your distance, wait for a mistake or bobbled pass, try to break up the ice odd-manned." Sometimes it's worked this year, too. The problem is...when it DOESN'T work, we simply have no plan B. We've gone full back into "pretty pass, pretty pass, pretty pass" mode, and what do we do when we acquire THE prettiest passer? put him with two more pretty passers, and let them pass, pass all day long.

And if we happen to fall behind? Forget it. Teams tighten up with the lead, and the mistakes we live on become all but non-existant.
Agreed. We try to play counter attack hockey and against good defensive teams like Detroit, Dallas and Minnesota, we fail.

Teams are figuring us out and we can't change our ways. We get outcoached alot.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Jarnberg

This would have been the perfect game for us to come out and light things up and send a message. For the local people who bought into the recent hype, they had to leave disappointed and are probably thinking "same old Preds."

Old
02-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Nashville108*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
This would have been the perfect game for us to come out and light things up and send a message. For the local people who bought into the recent hype, they had to leave disappointed and are probably thinking "same old Preds."
My parents went for the first time ever, I called and asked how it went, and they said everyone walking out of the arena was asking "We are supposed to be good??"

Very disappointing.

Nashville108* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:49 AM
dhasek3910

Hmmm...just wanted to ask...How come Timonen didnt play tonight?

dhasek3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:55 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasek3910 View Post
Hmmm...just wanted to ask...How come Timonen didnt play tonight?
upper body injury, game time decision...day to day.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 03:24 AM
Nordic*

So...

I guess`Forsberg stunk out the rink in his debut?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 03:32 AM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilros View Post
So...

Yeah, he brought the Philly loser-mentality with him.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 04:13 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
So...

Bad guess. He set up his teammates a few times they just couldnt finish.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 04:26 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarface View Post
Like i sayd a minute ago, he doesnt have to pass through people. (Pucks dont go through skates or sticks, that is the law of the fysics, remember that). I have seen well over 100 games from Forsberg, bad game by him tonight.
Why because he didnt get a point? Or is it because he made a bad call that lead to a minny goal? Or was it the fact that Vokoun didnt try on the penalty shot? He had 2-3 glorious set ups that his teammates didnt convert. He will be fine...needs to get used to playing in the west again and also he needs a triggerman hopefully in the mold of Arnott.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:09 AM
DrCrane

Quote:
So...

Don't mind this user. He's a known Foppa basher on the Flyer forum. You can have him now.

DrCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrane View Post
Don't mind this user. He's a known Foppa basher on the Flyer forum. You can have him now.
Ive been called alot in my days, but never a Foppa basher.

Ive clearly said numerous times that he at one point, was perhaps the most complete player ever.

Hes not even close to that level now though.

Old
02-18-2007, 07:19 AM
DrCrane

Quote:
Hes not even close to that level now though.
I know you feel like that way, we all know you feel that way. You keep telling us that over and over again, how could we possibly miss that.

But so what if he's not at his peak level, he can still dominate out there. You make it out like he's the plague or something.

Old
02-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrane View Post
I know you feel like that way, we all know you feel that way. You keep telling us that over and over again, how could we possibly miss that.

But so what if he's not at his peak level, he can still dominate out there. You make it out like he's the plague or something.
I don't think the trade was smart by the Preds.

But who knows, he might end up in Nashville next year. He's certainly not coming back to Philly.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 02-18-2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: There's no good that can come of your post and you know it. Edited to take the edge off.
Old
02-18-2007, 08:49 AM
DrCrane

Quote:

But who knows, he might end up in Nashville next year. He's certainly not coming back to Philly.
Your opinion, which you're entitled to of course. With such low opinion of Forsberg I'm not surprised. However I disagree, I think the trade was fair. Nashville added to their roster a player that's going to give them one more dimension to their play. That doesn't come cheap. They're going for the cup, fair play to them. And from what I've heard and read they have cover for their losses.

I agree with you thoughts about him returning to Flyers though.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 02-18-2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Edited for consistency
Old
02-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
What do you know about Ryan Parent and Scottie Upshall and furthermore our propsects and farm system to make this kind of statement?

Just curious.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 02-18-2007 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Edited for Consistency
Old
02-18-2007, 09:19 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Whenever we get any attention what so ever we blow it.
This actually scares me as much as our thoroughly inept power play. We've risen to the occasion several times. But when the pressure/spotlight is on, we never produce a consistent effort. We'll wallop an SJ or Ana when we absolutely need to make a statement. But in other pressure performances, we'll absolutely lay an egg. It's real disconcerting because that inconsistency will show its head, again, in the playoffs, when all the pressure and spotlight is on.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

For those of you commenting on Forsberg's game, know this:

1) He is going to take it behind the net. This is where he excels at moving the puck/seeing where to take it.

2) He is going to try the wrap around shoot over the opposite shoulder.

3) He is going to throw 3-4 passes across the crease that would be brilliant if his linemates are looking/have their sticks down.

4) On the powerplay, he is going to hold onto the puck, and he is going to primarily be a passer. The difference - the pp% might not go up as high as we like, but it is still going to be effective.

5) He will turn the puck over, but he is able defensively.

On last night's game, It just looked like we could not solve the Wild's defense. Once they got the PP off a bad call on Suter, the game completely changed. We had to score before they did in the waning minutes, but it looked as if Trotz was trying to get them to play safe. Once the Wild took the lead, they really took everything away, and the game was pretty much over.

02-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Agreed. We try to play counter attack hockey and against good defensive teams like Detroit, Dallas and Minnesota, we fail.

Teams are figuring us out and we can't change our ways. We get outcoached alot.
wow ... someone who's figured it out ...

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 10:42 AM
runkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
3) He is going to throw 3-4 passes across the crease that would be brilliant if his linemates are looking/have their sticks down.
I went back this morning and watched his shifts from last night and the line had some good chances, especially early. I just think their timing is off - all of that will improve as they get used to one another.

What you said above happened with @ 7 min to go in the first - there was a give and go - Kariya handed the puck off to Forsberg along the wall and he went skating just across and above the crease - Forsberg laid the puck right over to the area he was moving to but Kariya was looking the opposite way instead of watching for the pass coming back to him - if they had their timing down and Kariya was looking/expecting that pass to come he gets a point blank scoring chance right in front of the net and maybe a goal out of it.

I think they will be just fine. I see a lot of folks thinking he is mismatched playing with those two and should automatically be playing on the 3rd line but I think it's too soon to tell if that realy is the best way to use him. In the end maybe Kariya/Erat aren't a good fit, but it's just a little too early to tell.

Does the team have practice today? or is it a day off? I am just wondering if they will get time to work together before the next game or not.

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 10:53 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by runkletm View Post
I went back this morning and watched his shifts from last night and the line had some good chances, especially early. I just think their timing is off - all of that will improve as they get used to one another.

What you said above happened with @ 7 min to go in the first - there was a give and go - Kariya handed the puck off to Forsberg along the wall and he went skating just across and above the crease - Forsberg laid the puck right over to the area he was moving to but Kariya was looking the opposite way instead of watching for the pass coming back to him - if they had their timing down and Kariya was looking/expecting that pass to come he gets a point blank scoring chance right in front of the net and maybe a goal out of it.

I think they will be just fine. I see a lot of folks thinking he is mismatched playing with those two and should automatically be playing on the 3rd line but I think it's too soon to tell if that realy is the best way to use him. In the end maybe Kariya/Erat aren't a good fit, but it's just a little too early to tell.

Does the team have practice today? or is it a day off? I am just wondering if they will get time to work together before the next game or not.
I think it's too early to call him a bad fit for the line of Kariya and Erat. But I don't think it's too early to make the claim that he'll be a better fit with Hartnell and Radulov. That claim was made by several well before Forsberg even became a Predator.

This team has been knocked repeatedly for being too pretty at passing and not putting the puck on net enough. So when you concentrate the fancy passers on one line, it would make sense that they would struggle. Neither Erat nor Kariya are shooters at this stage in their career. Hell, I think its arguable that Legwand looks for his shot more than those two.

Forsberg's rarely been put on a line with guys who pass just as much as he does and shoots just as little as he does. His most successful seasons have seen him paired with guys who like to shoot. Which is why people think he's a much more natural fit between Radulov and Hartnell. Those two are our ONLY shoot first guys.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote