HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"Lowly"

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 12:12 PM
jhopspensfan

vCash: 500
"Lowly"

Throughout the Pens recent trek through Canada, TSN, Canoe, etc. continue to headline their pre-game articles as "_______ will host the 'lowly' Penguins tonight."

First of all, it would seem that they could come up with a little more imaginative, less-repetitive writing. Second of all, when the new CBA comes out and the Pens have the financial freedom to wheel and deal under the new cap, and when the likes of Fleury, Whitney, and Welch begin backstopping the franchise, the Pens will be the envy of the NHL.

I guess my point is, the Canadian press should get their shots in now. The opportunity is closing.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:13 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhopspensfan
Throughout the Pens recent trek through Canada, TSN, Canoe, etc. continue to headline their pre-game articles as "_______ will host the 'lowly' Penguins tonight."

First of all, it would seem that they could come up with a little more imaginative, less-repetitive writing. Second of all, when the new CBA comes out and the Pens have the financial freedom to wheel and deal under the new cap, and when the likes of Fleury, Whitney, and Welch begin backstopping the franchise, the Pens will be the envy of the NHL.

I guess my point is, the Canadian press should get their shots in now. The opportunity is closing.
call it like it is...you guys blow.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:16 PM
jhopspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
call it like it is...you guys blow.
You guys are overated.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Hawkalyzer

the lowly blackhawks host the lowly penguins
boy this game is gonna suck, everyone watching(not you chicago fans sorry, u dont get to) get out your 5 gallon plastic buckets, this is gonna be a sick one!

Old
12-09-2003, 12:19 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:

If the Pens stick around then yes they have the talent to become a very good team. But, they can barely survive right now and I don't see it getting better.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:20 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
It'll be a long ways from now before the Penguins are even a respectable organization, buddy.

You put far too much faith in what the new CBA may be like.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:22 PM
CCF
This is the year....

I don't think the CBA will draw fans to the game.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Dr Love

Another week, another "don't call the Pens 'lowly' " thread. They are in the basement of the NHL. They are lowly. Deal with it. The Captials are lowly too if it makes you feel any better.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

How are the Penguins going to start wheeling and dealing under the new CBA, when they have no money to spend to begin with. They aren't even sure if they can keep MAF up because of his bonus clauses.......what is going to happen when they sign another top pick to a huge salary structure? The new CBA MAY have cost certainty, but it certainly will not be giving the Pens the money that they need to ice a competitive team.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Sotnos

Try putting up with your team being called "lowly" for years on end, then maybe you can complain.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:48 PM
looooob

while I feel for you (but not that much ...my team has missed the playoffs seven years straight!!)...if the Calgary media is calling a team lowly, it's probably because right now...they ARE lowly, because we know lowly

Old
12-09-2003, 12:49 PM
50 Mission Cap

I fail to see how a new CBA is going to allow the Pens to "spend freely" when they already have the lowest payroll in professional sports, and they're still dumping salary.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:51 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Try putting up with your team being called "lowly" for years on end, then maybe you can complain.
Sometimes I still hear "the lowly Lightning"

People are slowly starting to recognize that the Bolts aren't lowly, took a while though...

Old
12-09-2003, 01:03 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Second of all, when the new CBA comes out and the Pens have the financial freedom to wheel and deal under the new cap, and when the likes of Fleury, Whitney, and Welch begin backstopping the franchise, the Pens will be the envy of the NHL.
The reasons the Pens don't have the "financial freedom to wheel and deal" right now are plentiful, but it has little to do with a lack of a cap. Conversely, if there was a cap, the Pens would likely have more trouble dumping off high paid players like Straka and Kovalev for scrubs. If the financial structure will be anything like the NBA's, then they will not be able to make trades unless the net salaries of both sides are within 15% of each other.

Another thing people fail to realize about a salary cap is that it has both a ceiling and a floor. Sure, it will prevent teams from having 9 digit payrolls, but there will also be penalties if a team like the Penguins fails to spend over the floor.

Old
12-09-2003, 01:26 PM
John Flyers Fan

Instead of lowly, would pitiful work

a nice alliteration ...

Old
12-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
When your in last place in the League you get called Lowly, Deal With It.

Old
12-09-2003, 01:50 PM
RedRumNJD

Can we stop beating this horse, please? We killed it a while ago.

Yes, the Pens suck. We all know that.

Yes, the media and fans taking potshots at Pittsburgh is annoying.

Let's get over it.

I find myself asking this question, though: If the Pens weren't in such poor financial shape, would they still be getting lambasted the way they are? I don't think they would be. Like Washington, they'd just be another bad team. Pittsburgh's financial trouble just magnifies their problems.

Old
12-09-2003, 01:52 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Anyone can call the Pens "lowly" but as a team out there playing, that's hardly what they are. These guys are playing without Mario, Rico Fata (I think he is still injured), they traded Straka and yet they are still hanging in there in most games. They tied us (PHI) twice. They beat teams like Atlanta, Detroit (it was early in the season), Boston, and Ottawa. They show a lot of heart, a lot more than the Rangers ever show with their gigantic payroll. They aren't bad. The minute you think this team sucks they will sneak up on and take a win. I may joke about them, but I never take them lightly. They have nothing to lose. It would be great if a lot of other teams did the same.

Old
12-09-2003, 01:55 PM
tom_servo

They can make fun of the Pens all they want. Of course we're lowly. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Old
12-09-2003, 02:06 PM
BERTUZZINATION

look, I found another description:

"woeful"

In this case, the operative word is "woeful"...

Old
12-09-2003, 02:11 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERTUZZINATION
look, I found another description:

"woeful"

In this case, the operative word is "woeful"...

I like 'lowly' better.

Old
12-09-2003, 02:39 PM
jhopspensfan

The reason why the Pens should be financially more sound after the new CBA is the possibility of revenue sharing. NFL teams are so profitable due in large part to unbelievable tv deals, and the revenue shared from these deals.

I am not saying that this is going to happen in the NHL and certainly not to the extent of the NFL, but perhaps it will happen on a level which will allow teams with attendance problems to compete on a more even playing field.

Old
12-09-2003, 03:27 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Canucks fans put up with it too. Lowly just means low in the standings. Isn't it true. I don't think the Pens are a pushover and they could easily beat the Canucks. I hope they don't though.

Old
12-09-2003, 04:48 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Quote:
We did. It was called the 60's 70's and 80's. lol

Old
12-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
They show a lot of heart...They aren't bad. It would be great if a lot of other teams did the same.
Never one here to pile on and the "your team blows" comment is a silly cheapshot. Regardless, if the Penguins aren't bad at this point in time, what NHL teams are?

You (any team) are what your record says you are.

No excuses.

Closed Thread