HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gasp!!! Another Jagr to NYR rumor from Spectors

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2003, 09:52 AM
  #1
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 28,467
vCash: 500
Gasp!!! Another Jagr to NYR rumor from Spectors

NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks reports of speculation the Rangers could ship Eric Lindros, along with defenceman Tom Poti, to the Washington Capitals in exchange for Jaromir Jagr. Brooks also claims the Boston Bruins have inquired for weeks about Poti but was recently told he was unavailable, leading Brooks to conclude Poti may be on his way to the Capitals who desperately need defencemen. Brooks claims Rangers GM Glen Sather had no interest in Jagr last summer but his opinion has changed and is now waiting for the Caps to absorb a big chunk of Jagr's salary. Brooks also suggests Lindros wouldn't be with the Capitals for long as they'd probably trade him at the March deadline, possibly to Detroit or Toronto or maybe even the New Jersey Devils.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
12-09-2003, 09:54 AM
  #2
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
The Leafs offer Ponikarovsky for Lindros. Take it or leave it.

What does Detroit or New Jersey have to offer Mr. McPhee? Let's create a mock bid.

wasting time is offline  
Old
12-09-2003, 10:00 AM
  #3
ginner classic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Kitsilano
Posts: 6,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
The Leafs offer Ponikarovsky for Lindros. Take it or leave it.

What does Detroit or New Jersey have to offer Mr. McPhee? Let's create a mock bid.
Chubarov and a slice of Flying Wedge pizza from the Canucks. Good luck topping that (pardon the pun).

ginner classic is offline  
Old
12-09-2003, 10:02 AM
  #4
Takeo
Registered User
 
Takeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 19,108
vCash: 500
These "rumours" are such a waste of time. Just out of curiousity, when these new rumours pop up out of thin air, what happens to the old ones? Is it an admittance that the old were a pile of crap...much like the new?? Funny how everyone just pretends they never existed and move on to the next.

Takeo is offline  
Old
12-09-2003, 10:05 AM
  #5
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
These "rumours" are such a waste of time. Just out of curiousity, when these new rumours pop up out of thin air, what happens to the old ones? Is it an admittance that the old were a pile of crap...much like the new?? Funny how everyone just pretends they never existed and move on to the next.

True, but...

Rumors are typically rumors, you know...and this is a rumors board too...

wasting time is offline  
Old
12-09-2003, 10:08 AM
  #6
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner
Chubarov and a slice of Flying Wedge pizza from the Canucks. Good luck topping that (pardon the pun).
OK, we'll throw in Pat Quinn's car for the weekend ('79 Cordoba) and Ponikarovski.

wasting time is offline  
Old
12-09-2003, 10:53 AM
  #7
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,326
vCash: 500
Awards:
If you read the story closely, there really is nothing to suggest that this is a rumor. It is just Brooks speculating. He does not even have a "source close to the situation" to site. He is merely speculating that the Rangers are not using Eric to the best of his abilities because and that might mean they are looking to include Eric in a trade. Of course, this is all prompted by Pascal Rheaume is coming back (not that I see what that has to do with anything).

Here's a quote:

"But then, perhaps Lindros will become the asset that seals the deal that brings Jaromir Jagr to Broadway. Recent reports that suggest a trade with the Caps isn't closer than it's ever been, not to mention those that propose Jagr doesn't want out of Washington, are laughable in their naivete. "

Perhaps is the opperative word here.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-09-2003, 11:07 AM
  #8
BrianBurke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
I used to respect Glen Sather as a general manager, but working in New York City has apparently sucked all the brains out of the guy.

What is the Rangers biggest weakness? Anyone who didn't say defense leave the room now.
What is Sather's solution? Let's bring in Jagr, a primadonna floater who has always been renouned for his airtight checking ability. HA!
Haven't the Rangers figured out by now that bringing in every overpriced offensive talent available does not lead to wins?

Brooks speculation aside, Jagr has been rumoured to be heading to the Rangers ever since draft day. Where there's smoke there's generally an inferno, and the Rangers can't deny their interest.

But please... wouldn't a guy like say Hamrlik be much more useful to the Rangers at this point?

BrianBurke is offline  
Old
12-09-2003, 11:13 AM
  #9
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,158
vCash: 500
listening to GM's talk in public about this stuff is like listening to politicians. its not what they say. its what they say doesn't say.
they say they have talked. they say they haven't talked in a couple of weeks. they say nothing is immenant. asked if the there would be no deal, they won't answer.

Here is what they have not actually addressed. Yes, they have been talking about a deal and have not talked about it for a couple or weeks.
a deal maybe be forthcoming, but not today.

Its just my opinion, but the Capitals and Rangers have reached an agreement in principle. Jagr will go to the Rangers and an agreement has been reached on how much of a financial load the Capitals will assume in return. What form that financial load takes has yet to be determined because the rules are still vague for the next cba and both teams are waiting for some official clarification. When the league advises them on how to handle those issues they will close the deal. Until then there is no reason to continue the conversations. so they are not lying.

What needs to be clarified is who is responsible for shared salary under a potential salary cap. If the Capitals agree to pay the Rangers moneys
in a Jagr transaction, are those moneys considered going into the Rangers general fund and by so making Jagr's entire contract number under the Rangers cap? If they are under the Rangers cap, the rangers will want to send more contract to the capitals to reach the agreed to number....say Kasparitis. If the Caps cash remains under the Caps cap number, then the Caps would want to take less contract in return in order to reach their desired number.

There would be some details to hash out, but both teams have likely reached agreement in principle on the deals under either scenario.

What we know for sure is that the Capitals and the Rangers admit to speaking about Jagr over the summer and within the last month again.
We know there is no way that the Caps keep Jagr.

So...read what we know how you like. IMO the Caps and Rangers have a deal that depends on whether the Caps send $5m a year of Jagr's deal and limited contract liability in return or whether the Caps take $3m - $5m in Rangers contracts in return. You can figure out who the players might be. My guess is
option #1: Jagr and Miller and $5m a year of jagr's salary after this year for Poti.

option #2: Jagr and Miller for Kasparitis and Carter.

txpd is online now  
Old
12-09-2003, 11:15 AM
  #10
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,326
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBurke
I used to respect Glen Sather as a general manager, but working in New York City has apparently sucked all the brains out of the guy.

What is the Rangers biggest weakness? Anyone who didn't say defense leave the room now.
What is Sather's solution? Let's bring in Jagr, a primadonna floater who has always been renouned for his airtight checking ability. HA!
Haven't the Rangers figured out by now that bringing in every overpriced offensive talent available does not lead to wins?

Brooks speculation aside, Jagr has been rumoured to be heading to the Rangers ever since draft day. Where there's smoke there's generally an inferno, and the Rangers can't deny their interest.

But please... wouldn't a guy like say Hamrlik be much more useful to the Rangers at this point?

Yeah a defenseman would be preferable.

And to the point that Jagr has been rumored going to the Rangers since draft day, there is a reason for that. The Rangers are really the only team that could take on that contract. So it's not really a stretch.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-09-2003, 11:19 AM
  #11
NJ_Devil_Boy
Registered User
 
NJ_Devil_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,842
vCash: 560
Imagine that...Lindros and Stevens on the same team.. :p

NJ_Devil_Boy is offline  
Old
12-09-2003, 11:50 AM
  #12
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
If you read the story closely, there really is nothing to suggest that this is a rumor. It is just Brooks speculating. He does not even have a "source close to the situation" to site. He is merely speculating that the Rangers are not using Eric to the best of his abilities because and that might mean they are looking to include Eric in a trade. Of course, this is all prompted by Pascal Rheaume is coming back (not that I see what that has to do with anything).

Here's a quote:

"But then, perhaps Lindros will become the asset that seals the deal that brings Jaromir Jagr to Broadway. Recent reports that suggest a trade with the Caps isn't closer than it's ever been, not to mention those that propose Jagr doesn't want out of Washington, are laughable in their naivete. "

Perhaps is the opperative word here.
I got it iff Spector's trade rumor board. But anyway, when is anything from Brooks much more than just speculation? He gets paid by the word.

wasting time is offline  
Old
12-09-2003, 12:37 PM
  #13
Dorthmall
Registered User
 
Dorthmall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dorthmall
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
Imagine that...Lindros and Stevens on the same team.. :p
Imagine that...Lindros and Kasparaitis on the same team.. :p

Dorthmall is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.