HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MAB or Greene

View Poll Results: Which Dman would you rather have?
Marc-Andre Bergeron 16 17.78%
Matt Greene 74 82.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-17-2007, 06:57 PM
JDubs

vCash: 500
MAB or Greene

Alright so this has been a longly debated subject between a buddy and I. Straight up, who would you rather have on this team today?

JDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:44 PM
PunjabiOil*

They both suck. MAB has been given chance after chance - this is what he will be.

Greene has been just as bad. He was beaten by his man on Toronto's second goal. As LT mentioned, Greene hasn't really developed. Might as well get some value from his before his value is equivalent to Semenov's.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:12 PM
smytty's mullet

i'll take greene, no question.

i'd just like to see greene get a chance to play with somebody who can help him out in his own end a bit. this defence pair reminds me of the old sean brown / tom poti duo from a few years back. they kept expecting poti to create all this offence, then when he'd get caught trying to make a play poor sean brown was back there to put out the fire. kind of wrecked both guys.

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:33 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

pick your poison...both are terrible players but I guess Greene

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Oilers Fan 94

i think thats easy....matt greene

Oilers Fan 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Cerebral

I'm damn sick of Bergeron at this point, the guy seriously costs us a goal almost every game he plays. His pass tonight to Nedved was absolutely brutal, his inability to take the man cost us a goal against Buffalo... the list goes on and on. He's the first guy this team needs to upgrade if we ever want to go anywhere.

02-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Q038

Hard to blame both defencemen this year for lack of development... there is alot of pressure on all the defence with no real #1 and the forwards not really making it easy on them...

that said, Greene

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
They both suck. MAB has been given chance after chance - this is what he will be.

Greene has been just as bad. He was beaten by his man on Toronto's second goal. As LT mentioned, Greene hasn't really developed. Might as well get some value from his before his value is equivalent to Semenov's.
Let us also remember that including last regular season Greene has barely played more than 1 season in the NHL. I am a big fan of LT's blogs and opinions but his comparison to Semenov is out to lunch.

We could just dump him like NJ/Toronto did with Jason Smith before waiting to see just how good he can be. I am not saying I would cry big rivers if Greene was dealt but at least dump MAB first, heck if Greene had someone less chaotic to play with he might be progressing a little smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I'm damn sick of Bergeron at this point, the guy seriously costs us a goal almost every game he plays. His pass tonight to Nedved was absolutely brutal, his inability to take the man cost us a goal against Buffalo... the list goes on and on. He's the first guy this team needs to upgrade if we ever want to go anywhere.
Yeah I totally agree his offense does not even offset how he hurts you defensively and other areas such as bad passing all over the ice.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

I think at this point both would be fine with a veteran stable partner. Bergeron is very inconsistant and a vetran partner could help keep him calm so his mistakes don't compound.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
I think at this point both would be fine with a veteran stable partner. Bergeron is very inconsistant and a vetran partner could help keep him calm so his mistakes don't compound.
How many defencemen can the Oilers afford to shelter at once though? Smid is currently playing minutes way above his head (the guy should be getting sheltered but the Oilers simply can't with Bergeron and Greene in the lineup) but at least he looks like he has a future as a top pairing guy.

Bergeron is still reasonably young but he hasn't improved his consistency at all and the Oilers need a reliable guy in the lineup to replace him.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I actually wouldn't be adverse to trading Greene because of his stagnant development this season but even then he's leaps and bounds better than Bergeron.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I actually wouldn't be adverse to trading Greene because of his stagnant development this season but even then he's leaps and bounds better than Bergeron.
I understand why some of you are down on Greene but this is realistically his first full year in the league. Next year will be big for him and that's when we'll find out if he can turn into Jason Smith or if he'll be more Alex Henry/Alexei Semenov. Bergeron has had a few years now to develop some consistency and he flat out hasn't improved at all on any of his weaknesses.

Old
02-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
I understand why some of you are down on Greene but this is realistically his first full year in the league. Next year will be big for him and that's when we'll find out if he can turn into Jason Smith or if he'll be more Alex Henry/Alexei Semenov. Bergeron has had a few years now to develop some consistency and he flat out hasn't improved at all on any of his weaknesses.
Agreed on Bergeron.

I guess the jury's still out on Greene. My POV is that if adding him to a package helps land that topflight young defenseman, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. I'm NOT advocating trading him for the sake of trading him, or trading him if the return isn't adequate.

Old
02-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Agreed on Bergeron.

I guess the jury's still out on Greene. My POV is that if adding him to a package helps land that topflight young defenseman, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.
Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely move Greene if it meant we could get an upgrade on the blueline. I'd try and move Bergeron first though, he has a user-friendly contract and his offensive numbers might impress a few GM's and result in them looking beyond his blatantly obvious deficiencies.

Old
02-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely move Greene if it meant we could get an upgrade on the blueline. I'd try and move Bergeron first though, he has a user-friendly contract and his offensive numbers might impress a few GM's and result in them looking beyond his blatantly obvious deficiencies.
Speaking of MAB, his value is hard to peg imo. He could get anything from an Andy Delmore type return to a 2nd round pick.

Old
02-17-2007, 11:03 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

well

since the oilers have them both--I say keep them both

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
How many defencemen can the Oilers afford to shelter at once though? Smid is currently playing minutes way above his head (the guy should be getting sheltered but the Oilers simply can't with Bergeron and Greene in the lineup) but at least he looks like he has a future as a top pairing guy.

Bergeron is still reasonably young but he hasn't improved his consistency at all and the Oilers need a reliable guy in the lineup to replace him.
No doubt. The point I was making was that either one of them would be fine on the 3rd pairing with a verteran dman like a Salei or somebody.

Timonen Smith
Staios Smid
Bergeron Salei

Timonen Smith
Staios Smid
Greene Rivet

could both be pretty effective IMO

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Speaking of MAB, his value is hard to peg imo. He could get anything from an Andy Delmore type return to a 2nd round pick.
It's really tough to say, he's still young enough that a GM might be willing to move a pick and hope he improves. I really don't want to see him in the lineup next season though, Lowe gambled on him improving big-time this year and that gamble will likely cost us a playoff spot. Bergeron is playing the weakest minutes on the entire club and he's still struggling big time.

Old
02-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Oil

Send a message via AIM to Oil Send a message via MSN to Oil Send a message via Yahoo to Oil
LOL...wow it's a freakin' landslide!
And rightly so.

Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
It's really tough to say, he's still young enough that a GM might be willing to move a pick and hope he improves. I really don't want to see him in the lineup next season though, Lowe gambled on him improving big-time this year and that gamble will likely cost us a playoff spot. Bergeron is playing the weakest minutes on the entire club and he's still struggling big time.
Andy Delmore it is.

Old
02-17-2007, 11:31 PM
mvprimate

Bergeron and greene are fine. I guarantee if we still had pronger this would not even be a discussion.

We need a good #1 dman that can play 30 minutes a night. That will bring down the toughness and number of all the other dmans minutes. The trickle down effect would make all our dmen better.

Granted with the amount of minutes they are playing right now they aren't effective. If we don't have a true number one(which we don't) we need a lot better defensive depth a la vancouver to be effective

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:59 AM
djmarcopolo

im not sure why Roy or Gilbert arent playing with us right now, they both looked decent at time mostly gilbert but anyways why are we dressing 7 d-men and reducing teh icetime for our young guys and use bergie for the PP, we hardly ever use the 4th line anyway, and im sure the guys wouldnt mind being double shifted every once in awhile.

djmarcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:02 AM
noice
The Shield

vCash: 133
Why Y'all Haters???

noice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by noice View Post
Why Y'all Haters???
It has nothing to do with hating, it has to do with watching the games and making educated assertions as to who is really hurting this team out on the ice. I question how even the most staunch Bergeron supporters could even possibly not acknowledge the fact that his struggles of late have really hurt this team (and don't pull out the whole "everyone is struggling" card, Bergeron has been particularly awful).

Old
02-18-2007, 01:12 AM
djmarcopolo

Quote:
It has nothing to do with hating, it has to do with watching the games and making educated assertions as to who is really hurting this team out on the ice. I question how even the most staunch Bergeron supporters could even possibly not acknowledge the fact that his struggles of late have really hurt this team (and don't pull out the whole "everyone is struggling" card, Bergeron has been particularly awful).

alot of us need to ask why is he struggling, and not just keep pointing it out ... the coaches obviously have done nothing to help him besides maybe sitting him or threatening to do so.

djmarcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote