HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Congratulations to Sergei Kostitsyn! 100 points season!

Old
02-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Reuben

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockomax View Post
Do all his PIM bother anyone else here? I mean I know he's good, but don,t you think he should be more disciplined? 60 PIM in 48 GP...
Not me sounds like he's fiesty and willing to stick up for himself,
anyways you can always learn to be more disciplined if in fact that is the case.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:03 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
.625 minor penalty's is pretty good for a guy who I believe plays 25+ minutes pretty much every single game.
Also his PIM may be inflated from a few games he has had 4+ PIMs and other streches he has gone 6+ games wihout visiting the box once.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Not to take anything away from Sergei, but he always has the supporting staff in London. Corey Locke was the best player in the CHL 2 years running but he may never be good enough or in his case (big enough) to play at the NHL level..

But I do like the kid and hopefully he will keep growing like his brother. I can still remember seeing a highlight video of Sergei last year and he was scoring AND giving open ice hits!! It was great!
Locke never had the speed, the strengh and the size to be a NHL candidate then and still doesn't now. There's a whole world of difference when the OHL top scorer is not selected in the top rounds and a guy playing in Belarussia who may have been overlooked....'Cause besides consistency, he has a nice speed to go with a good frame, solid on his skates, nose of the net, great hockey sense and all....

But we do have to be careful and try to see if prospects are already at their ceiling or if there's room for improvement.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
Just curious...... If Montreal drafted Jordan Staal last year, would he be playing on the big club as an 18 year old? or would we have sent him back to Junior?
You never know...but hey, when was the last time the habs drafted that high????? ...or had the chance to draft a kid that was as NHL ready as Staal???? I mean seriously, Fischer, Price, Chipchura, Kostitsyn, Higgins, Komisarek, Hainsey, Hossa, etc, etc, were not anywhere near NHL when we selected them.

Heck the last time we had a top 4 pick, the player we selected was on the team the following year, so......

Petr Svoboda - 1984.

02-19-2007, 10:32 AM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Sergei has some serious skills.. Fast, shifty, feisty, good defensively, amazing wrist shot, great passing game.

He's got great hands to, he dekes through the defence, makes blind passes and usually sets up a goal. He spins away from defenders on the boards and leaves them flat footed. Great drop-passing ability, he's strong when driving on the outside with speed. He's really good.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 10:35 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
You never know...but hey, when was the last time the habs drafted that high????? ...or had the chance to draft a kid that was as NHL ready as Staal???? I mean seriously, Fischer, Price, Chipchura, Kostitsyn, Higgins, Komisarek, Hainsey, Hossa, etc, etc, were not anywhere near NHL when we selected them.

Heck the last time we had a top 4 pick, the player we selected was on the team the following year, so......

Petr Svoboda - 1984.
Well we could have drafted a Staal in Marc, but Carey Price is a decent consolation prize.

02-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Well we could have drafted a Staal in Marc, but Carey Price is a decent consolation prize.
Yes, but Marc wasn't nearly as NHL ready as Jordan. Then again the fact that one is a dman and one is a forward makes the comparision almost unfair, so.......

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post

Petr Svoboda - 1984.
yes he was a top 4 pick, i seemed to recall alot of people wondering if he was nhl ready at the beginning of the season even after he played a few months some questions remained. not anymore though.

I used Jordan Staal as a hypothetical, Although you must admit over the past 15 or years or so we haven't exactly given our youngsters a fair shake. IMO. Seems to be getting a little better the last few years though. I'm glad the organizations love with the broke down vets is waning.

I still contest that we would have sent him back to juniors as an 18 year old.

Old
02-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Darz

[QUOTE=Reuben;8135798]yes he was a top 4 pick, i seemed to recall alot of people wondering if he was nhl ready at the beginning of the season even after he played a few months some questions remained. not anymore though.

I used Jordan Staal as a hypothetical, Although you must admit over the past 15 or years or so we haven't exactly given our youngsters a fair shake. IMO. Seems to be getting a little better the last few years though. I'm glad the organizations love with the broke down vets is waning.

I still contest that we would have sent him back to juniors as an 18 year old.[/
QUOTE]

I tend to think we gave the ones that deserved a fair shake their due rewards. It's just wehn your youngsters are the Matt Higgins and Terry Ryan's, it does take too long to figure out that you didn't make the greatest use of your 1st round picks.

I think if you look at the players we have drafted since 2000, we have a pretty decent success rate. Maybe one could argue that we didn't give Ron Hainsey enough time, or enough chances, but it wasn't like we didn't give him a chance to prove himself, and I think if he would of had a better attitude when he was in our system, things might of worked out better.

....you might be right that if we drafted Jordan Staal, maybe we would of sent him back to junior, but at the same time, who can say if another year of junior wouldn't of paid dividends in Jordan's development. Impossible questions to answer really.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 10:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Crazy, 100 points in 48 GP with a +27...I'll take it. Can't wait for him to join the big club.

That 37 points in 19 playoff GP stat still knocks me for a loop whenever I see it, too

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Reuben

[QUOTE=Darz;8138470]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
yes he was a top 4 pick, i seemed to recall alot of people wondering if he was nhl ready at the beginning of the season even after he played a few months some questions remained. not anymore though.

I still contest that we would have sent him back to juniors as an 18 year old.[/
QUOTE]

I tend to think we gave the ones that deserved a fair shake their due rewards. It's just wehn your youngsters are the Matt Higgins and Terry Ryan's, it does take too long to figure out that you didn't make the greatest use of your 1st round picks.

I think if you look at the players we have drafted since 2000, we have a pretty decent success rate. Maybe one could argue that we didn't give Ron Hainsey enough time, or enough chances, but it wasn't like we didn't give him a chance to prove himself, and I think if he would of had a better attitude when he was in our system, things might of worked out better.

....you might be right that if we drafted Jordan Staal, maybe we would of sent him back to junior, but at the same time, who can say if another year of junior wouldn't of paid dividends in Jordan's development. Impossible questions to answer really.
True.

Old
02-20-2007, 12:02 AM
Ryan O'Byrne

The habs would of sent Jordan Staal down ,but the pens were going to do the same more then likely until an injury gave him a roster spot .
Then he played so well they decided to keep him in the nhl .

Back on topic
It's good to see Sergei Kostsitsyn doing well again this year good for him.

Last edited by Ryan O'Byrne: 02-20-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Ryan O'Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Crazy, 100 points in 48 GP with a +27...I'll take it. Can't wait for him to join the big club.

That 37 points in 19 playoff GP stat still knocks me for a loop whenever I see it, too
Yea it's nice but how many times have we seen CHL scoring sensations just being awful in the NHL? I'll wait and see how he does with the big boys before I get too excited. Tho he's looking good, I admit.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote