HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Poll: Stanley Cup and Last Place

View Poll Results: Wuould you trade a last place finish next year for a Stanley Cup this year.
Yes 27 67.50%
No 13 32.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Big Mama*

vCash: 500
Poll: Stanley Cup and Last Place

Tannenbaum quote from Dec 9th Toronto Star article by Cox:
" If you told me we could win the Stanley Cup this season but then would be the absolute worst in the league the year after, I wouldn't do it," said Tanenbaum.

Last edited by Big Mama*: 12-09-2003 at 01:40 PM.
Old
12-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
God Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
12-09-2003, 01:05 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

I dont know
last place next season...
i couldnt handle that

Old
12-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Yes.... as long as there is a year long Strike/ LocK out next year ..that would mean a cup and Sidney Crosby... although with no games playes it would be hard for the Leafs to Finish last unless say they base it on age Oldest First or Penalty Minutes ..Highest First or man games lost to injuries Highest First...

Old
12-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Yes.... as long as there is a year long Strike/ LocK out next year ..that would mean a cup and Sidney Crosby... although with no games playes it would be hard for the Leafs to Finish last unless say they base it on age Oldest First or Penalty Minutes ..Highest First or man games lost to injuries Highest First...

a cup and sydney crosby

is like winning one cup plus 5 more

Old
12-09-2003, 01:18 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Tucker
Tannenbaum quote from Dec 9th Toronto Star article by Cox:
" If you told me we could win the Stanley Cup this season but then would be the absolute worst in the league the year after, I wouldn't do it," said Tanenbaum.

"We want a consistent winner."
This prove tannenbaum is a complete ****in idiot.......we havent won a cup in how long???? I bet tannenbaum would rather 2 final four appearences to one cup year and no playoff the next...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$.

Someone should shoot him for being dumb...hypothetical question or not.
WIN AT ALL COSTS!!!!! Its the Stanley ****in cup!!!

There i feel a little better. :mad:

Old
12-09-2003, 01:20 PM
King of Kelvington

Who voted no?????? Lets watch a team play 2 playoff rounds every year but not win the cup? Is that really what you want?

Old
12-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr
Who voted no?????? Lets watch a team play 2 playoff rounds every year but not win the cup? Is that really what you want?
Maybe I'm not a big Leaf fan. Maybe I have no clue what i'm talking about but....

Do any of you remember 1995? The 2 years before we made semis and were "1 player away" and ended up giving up the farm and then we had 4 years of crap and no cup.

I have enjoyed the last 5 years....yes sure I would love to see a cup winner but I enjoy watching a winner and the Leafs year after year are in the top 10 of the league.

Stay the course...the hockey people know more about hockey than any fan on the boards. The hockey people have put the Leafs in the top 5 for salary. The hockey people have signed free agents and the hockey people have made trades to make the Leafs better.

I'm sure if there was one player that would bring the Leafs a cup FOR SURE.....then they would go and get em.

What you people forget is how much money the Leafs would make by winning a cup. If you think that the MSG ownership is not interested in making even more money then you are crazy.

I answered No. I would not want to be like the Calgary Flames. I enjoy watching a team that every night has a better than average chance at winning. 29 teams will not win the cup. I'd rather be one of the 29 that gets to be entertained by free flowing hockey with an outside chance at a cup, than watching 82 boring trap games and still not for sure getting a cup.

We are getting spoiled Leaf fans. Lets not forget the 80's were not that long ago.

Old
12-09-2003, 03:32 PM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666

I answered No. I would not want to be like the Calgary Flames. I enjoy watching a team that every night has a better than average chance at winning. 29 teams will not win the cup. I'd rather be one of the 29 that gets to be entertained by free flowing hockey with an outside chance at a cup, than watching 82 boring trap games and still not for sure getting a cup.
Well, I'm not sure why you think that if they were bad they'd be a boring trap team.

And the Leafs have too much money to be like Calgary. At worst they'd be like the Rangers.

Old
12-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Rand

Hmm... one entertaining season vs. two entertaining seasons of hockey. Not a hard choice, count me in as a no.

Last edited by Rand: 12-09-2003 at 06:48 PM.
Old
12-10-2003, 02:48 AM
Epoch

I'd do it.

Old
12-10-2003, 03:15 AM
leafaholix*

Stanley Cup & Sidney Crosby vs. Two entertaining seasons.

Hmm.... duhh.

Old
12-10-2003, 03:27 AM
KillToronto

vCash:
You people that voted no are on crack. As a Sabre fan, I would take 1 Buffalo championship followed by 5 last place finishes if I could.

Old
12-10-2003, 04:48 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
What you people forget is how much money the Leafs would make by winning a cup. If you think that the MSG ownership is not interested in making even more money then you are crazy.
Actually, financially it's not really that beneficial to win the cup. A lot of team bonuses kick in if they make it to the finals and more so if they win the cup.

I voted yes for three reasons...

1. The question only stated next season, not a streak of seasons like what Calgary's went through, although Calgary doesn't have the financial resources MLSEL does, so I can't see the Leafs in the same boat any way.

2. Sidney Crosby.

3. It would shut the f up 99.99999999% of non Leaf fans who constantly harp about 1967.

Old
12-10-2003, 10:19 AM
DocHolliday

One year sure. 5 or 6, maybe not. The thing that seems to be overlooked here is that there are no guarantees. The games still have to be played, and I'd much rather three final four appearances to a losing cup final and 2 last place seasons.

Old
12-10-2003, 12:51 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
You people that voted no are on crack. As a Sabre fan, I would take 1 Buffalo championship followed by 5 last place finishes if I could.
I watch hockey for the entertainment value, I don't find a losing team particularly entertaining in most cases.

For me it's a simple fact that I place more value in two good seasons over one excellent season.

Old
12-12-2003, 04:20 PM
berney fkaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
I'll take the Cup and Crosby. It would definitely be a short stop at the bottom of the standings!

Sound like win win to me? I would almost give my left nut to bring a cup to Toronto. If we win the Cup it will be remembered for years to come, as opposed to Wow we sure played good/bad in last years playoffs. Can't believe people voted no.

Old
01-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Big Mama*

Time to consider this old chestnut. Who wants the cup? Is it time for Tannebaum to open up the wallet and consider trading prospects or should leaf fans be content with entertainment an no cup.

Old
01-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Corey

If the Leafs do not spend they will will neither be a Cup winner nor a draft lottery winner nor an entertaining team. They will slowly sink into boring mediocrity.

Old
01-16-2004, 08:50 PM
thrill_me_mogilny

[QUOTE=mondoman]Anyway, I'd do it for sure, if the leafs won this year I probably wouldn't sober up from the celebration for two years anyway - wouldn't even notice the last place finish.[QUOTE]

Agreed! If the Leafs had won The Cup in my lifetime, or in the past few years, I might say no, but 37 frikkin years? Yes, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'd love to hear the players answer this one; I'm pretty damn sure they'd say YES!

Old
01-17-2004, 01:25 AM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
If the Leafs do not spend they will will neither be a Cup winner nor a draft lottery winner nor an entertaining team. They will slowly sink into boring mediocrity.
You might want to look at the payroll before stating 'do not spend'... I could also go on to sketch the whole post CBA situation and the foolishness of taking on large amounts of salary rights now, but my guess is you will not listen anyways...

Closed Thread