HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well on the brightside...

Old
02-18-2007, 10:30 AM
QScout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Pouliot since he came back:

5-2-2-4, 16 shots in goal, +3, 36 of 66 on faceoffs (54.5%), 6 hits

2nd line ice time had better be coming, MacT owes it to the team to put the best players in the best position to help the team...and right now 21 year old Pouliot is producing.
And I think he should have get an assist on Staios goal Saturday as well as Thoresen because the d-man simply poke the puck, he never got control. So we could almost say 5-2-3-5 since his last call-up.

QScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:36 AM
momentai

Besides the big 3 last night, Pouliot was 4th in ES minutes behind Torres/Lupul/Sykora with 13:04 in icetime. It shows there's some confidence in him by MacT otherwise we'd see Reasoner replacing him in the 3rd period.

I think it makes a little bit sick inside to think that Pouliot is already ahead of Lupul at winning puck battles all over the ice despite only having 31 games of NHL experience.

momentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Shizuka

I think Lupul gets another year to prove himself. In the playoffs last year, he battled hard and worked to beat the other guy in one on ones. I dunno what has happened to his confidence exactly, or that resilience, but it's in him to fight for the puck.

Good for Pouliot, though. He was a captain and a leader in Rimouski, and it shows. A small consolation for our nearly doomed playoff hopes.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:05 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I think Lupul gets another year to prove himself. In the playoffs last year, he battled hard and worked to beat the other guy in one on ones. I dunno what has happened to his confidence exactly, or that resilience, but it's in him to fight for the puck.

Good for Pouliot, though. He was a captain and a leader in Rimouski, and it shows. A small consolation for our nearly doomed playoff hopes.
Well, I think he better... Next year his salary jumps to 2.5 million and I don't the Oilers can afford to have a guy that produces so little to be making that much.

I'm pretty happy for Pouliot as well. I've been pulling for him to make and stick with the big club for a long time. Now, I'm just waiting for my other "favourite" Brodziak to stick with the team.

Old
02-18-2007, 12:52 PM
BleedOil83

MAP has wowed me since his last call up. You could make an argument that he's been one of our best players since that time.

It's a shame that once the injuries are mended, he'll be sent down in favor of Petersen and Nedved. Cause you know, those two could really be our #1 and #2...

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:59 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
MAP has wowed me since his last call up. You could make an argument that he's been one of our best players since that time.

It's a shame that once the injuries are mended, he'll be sent down in favor of Petersen and Nedved. Cause you know, those two could really be our #1 and #2...
He played more icetime than either of Peterson or Nedved last night at ES. It pretty clearly shows to me that MacT has faith in the kid so I don't think he's going to be playing behind those two guys if he keeps it up.

Old
02-18-2007, 01:44 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai View Post
He played more icetime than either of Peterson or Nedved last night at ES. It pretty clearly shows to me that MacT has faith in the kid so I don't think he's going to be playing behind those two guys if he keeps it up.
Last game was the first time he put him out in crucial situations -- PP, last few minutes, when we needed players to step up.

Before that, it was Nedved bumping him off his own line, taking his ice time, and both him and Petersen getting the call on the PP over Pouli. Not exactly crystal clear.

Probably the only reason he played more ES is because Petersen and Nedved played much more special teams. It's going to take more than one period of good decisions to make me believe Mac-T's hard on for Petersen and - to a lesser extent - Nedved has gone away.

Old
02-18-2007, 01:53 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
Last game was the first time he put him out in crucial situations -- PP, last few minutes, when we needed players to step up.

Before that, it was Nedved bumping him off his own line, taking his ice time, and both him and Petersen getting the call on the PP over Pouli. Not exactly crystal clear.

Probably the only reason he played more ES is because Petersen and Nedved played much more special teams. It's going to take more than one period of good decisions to make me believe Mac-T's hard on for Petersen and - to a lesser extent - Nedved has gone away.
This is also the first time he's had such a good game from start to finish. MacT usually rewards efforts like that. It's the reason why Thoresen was moved up earlier in the season.

Nedved isn't likely to be bumping off anyone this season any longer. Other than 1:30 on the pp last night, he only had 7 minutes of ES icetime - one of the lowest on the team. That pretty clearly says to me that MacT's losing trust in him in a hurry. (He had 5 minutes of ES icetime in BUF as well while Pouliot had 15) Nedved's pretty far out of the picture.

The last two games Pouliot and Peterson has had close to the same amount of ES icetime. That looks promising as it tells me that MacT is developing a trust for Pouliot for being out there on the ice. That's only a good thing.

Old
02-18-2007, 02:05 PM
BleedOil83

Pouliot has played that complete game each and every game since the call up. You can go by numbers as much as you want but watching the game and noticing the kinds of situations each player is out in tells the story. When we needed a goal in Buffalo, Nedved was out there in the 3rd much more than Pouliot. Pouli was put on a makeshift 3rd line, and Nedved was essentially put in his place, once they started playing with a short bench. Nedved was also out for the atrocious PP's, and in the last minute of the game. Nuff said.

I'm not doubting he's starting to trust Pouli more, but he still absolutely loves the other two for some reason. Nedved is playing himself out of the lineup though, you're right. It's just that last night was the first time MacT noticed it.

Old
02-18-2007, 03:32 PM
noice
The Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderville View Post
I just can't stand how he carries the puck with his tongue sticking out. Looks like a tool.

But 2nd line minutes....... sure, no problems here.
Michael Jordan trade mark ahaha

noice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:30 PM
philthy mcnasty*

I'm very happy to see Pouliot playing the way he is, it is encouraging.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:33 PM
iceman_88888888

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWalter View Post
Odds are, MacT will unholster Popiel's Pocket Creativity Neutralizer and zap every iota of offensive creativity from Pouliot's game by the end of training camp next year. I'm expecting 6-11-17 and a plus-4 from MAP next season. Defence first, lad. See Toby over there . . . He'll be Doug Friedman before you know it.
you know it's true. pouliot's gonna be nothing but a 4th line grinder next year. if schremp makes the team, he's gonna be grinding it out with pouliot on the 4th line. when cogliano is ready for the bigs, mact will tell him to not worry about offence and look up to todd marchant and toby petersen as a role model: have the fast feet but don't score, we'll have someone else take care of that for you if i don't coach the offense out of them first!
mact and his need to play defense first kills me. i enjoyed the oilers defense in the 80's: best defense is a good offense. buffalo's going with that motto now and they're first in the NHL. mind you, they have an amazing goalie... we got "his toe is in my crease and i don't like it" roloson. let's see what happens next season and hope for the best.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote