HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If I was Coach ....

Old
02-18-2007, 01:10 AM
djmarcopolo

vCash: 500
If I was Coach ....

I would dress 7 d-men sit stortini unless we are playing a team that is gonna try and run hemsky. Then I would double shift hemsky,torres,lupul,sykora and smyth, giving them a chance to play with horcoff and stoll if he returns in time, i would keep pouliot and thoresen together giving them swapping lupul and torres back and forth for them, doesnt matter what wing they play at this time of teh year. I would tell tehm to get teh puck to the net and drive the net, crash it even if tehy get goalie interfence penalties, we need to get to the net, practices would consist of passing drills in close bringing teh puck up the ice and down it, and finally I would make marc-andre bergeron stand in place stick handling back and forth for hours at a time after practice when the other guys are in the showers .......
and then i would wake up cuz this doesnt seem like a nightmare ....
cheers

djmarcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:19 AM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarcopolo View Post
I would dress 7 d-men sit stortini unless we are playing a team that is gonna try and run hemsky. Then I would double shift hemsky,torres,lupul,sykora and smyth, giving them a chance to play with horcoff and stoll if he returns in time, i would keep pouliot and thoresen together giving them swapping lupul and torres back and forth for them, doesnt matter what wing they play at this time of teh year. I would tell tehm to get teh puck to the net and drive the net, crash it even if tehy get goalie interfence penalties, we need to get to the net, practices would consist of passing drills in close bringing teh puck up the ice and down it, and finally I would make marc-andre bergeron stand in place stick handling back and forth for hours at a time after practice when the other guys are in the showers .......
and then i would wake up cuz this doesnt seem like a nightmare ....
cheers

Sykora? why Sykora?

This is why you aren't the Coach.

Lowe in Oil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:21 AM
djmarcopolo

gotta play the guys who have the best chance of scoring goals for us. but tehy also get to play with horcoff and stoll and pouliot so we are getting someone to come back on D.

Old
02-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Raoul Duke*

Thankfully you're not the coach.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:35 AM
thebigstubbs*

Sykora has done nothing to warrent the icetime

thebigstubbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:38 AM
Raoul Duke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigstubbs View Post
Sykora has done nothing to warrent the icetime
And people like Peterson have?

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 03:27 AM
the_hockey_mistress

And what about hurting other teams goalies? People already have lost respect for the team..dont make it worse !!!

the_hockey_mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 04:57 AM
Hemsky4PM

I am actually in favour of dressing 7 d-men. M. Roy would do a far better job on the PP point than what we have now. I wonder if MacT has been ordered to suck it up for the rest of the year? That's in jest...but wow, this is a bad team.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 02:10 PM
djmarcopolo

its funny how some of you slag sykora and lupul and prolly torres but i bet you guys were making them out to be 50-goals scorers when the season started, thats the problem with most of you fans, your expectations are absurd, you all prolly thought peca was gonna score 30 goals for last year as well or how about when we had poti, you all prolly thought he was coffey or supposed to be coffey in the making? we have to put our trust and confidence into teh guys who should be our core for thsi team and if that means more icetime than some of teh others, well thats just the way leaders are born. the 80's oilers are gone, they ended up in pittsburgh with years of top 5 picks.

and since some of you dont like my suggestions what would yours be?
at least my ideas are practical.

Old
02-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
And people like Peterson have?
Yes

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 02:13 PM
momentai

Quote:
its funny how some of you slag sykora and lupul and prolly torres but i bet you guys were making them out to be 50-goals scorers when the season started
I think that's a tad bit of an exaggeration. The problem with Sykora and Lupul is that they don't generate much of anything out there. They spend most of their time running around in their own zone nowadays. Double-shifting them means that we're going to be in there twice as long. Not exactly what we want to be doing with the defensive pairings we have.

My suggestion? Get healthy.

momentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 02:21 PM
djmarcopolo

yeah you're right they do spend alot of time running around, you know why? cuz they are snipers? who need to find open ice and need someone to get them the puck ... they are not crash and bang players like so mact wants them to be.

Old
02-18-2007, 02:38 PM
momentai

Quote:
yeah you're right they do spend alot of time running around, you know why? cuz they are snipers? who need to find open ice and need someone to get them the puck ... they are not crash and bang players like so mact wants them to be.
Umm... how can they snipe anything if that can't even retain puck possession? One good opposition cycling line pretty much cancels out any offensive contribution they can make. They can snipe all they like... but it's going to be tough to garner any offense without the puck. And winning puck battles is something every player must be able to... heck, even Hemsky can win a couple. I don't even know how you can justify that into saying MacT wants to turn them into crash and bang players....

Old
02-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hockey_mistress View Post
And what about hurting other teams goalies? People already have lost respect for the team..dont make it worse !!!

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
gotta play the guys who have the best chance of scoring goals for us. but tehy also get to play with horcoff and stoll and pouliot so we are getting someone to come back on D.

Horcoff Stoll and as well as Pouliot backcheck more than any other forwards, especially Stoll!

Lowe in Oil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 08:57 PM
djmarcopolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai View Post
Umm... how can they snipe anything if that can't even retain puck possession? One good opposition cycling line pretty much cancels out any offensive contribution they can make. They can snipe all they like... but it's going to be tough to garner any offense without the puck. And winning puck battles is something every player must be able to... heck, even Hemsky can win a couple. I don't even know how you can justify that into saying MacT wants to turn them into crash and bang players....

umm snipers dont need the puck for long periods of time they need someone to get it to them for so they can get rid of it and get quick shots at the nets that might result in rebounds if not goals, they obviously arent strong stickhandlers and diggers in the corners, you gotta see it as this, if you are a coach you need to allow your players to play to their strengths not their weaknesses and by playing peterson on the PP who has never been much of a scorer is trying to get him to do something he isnt accustomed to.

Old
02-18-2007, 09:34 PM
momentai

Quote:
umm snipers dont need the puck for long periods of time they need someone to get it to them for so they can get rid of it and get quick shots at the nets that might result in rebounds if not goals, they obviously arent strong stickhandlers and diggers in the corners, you gotta see it as this, if you are a coach you need to allow your players to play to their strengths not their weaknesses and by playing peterson on the PP who has never been much of a scorer is trying to get him to do something he isnt accustomed to.
It's a pretty simple concept that I'm sure most on this board understand. If you don't have possession of the puck, you're not going to have much of a chance at scoring. How can they possibly score if they're stuck in their own zone all the time?

Even in the offensive zone, players don't take shots randomly. They need to be in a suitable scoring area that allows them to get their shots off. Otherwise, on the few offensive forays they're going to have... they're going to be shooting it right into the dman.

The opposition isn't going to give "snipers" all the time in the world to get their shots off while they have possession. And good opposition lineup isn't going to give them the puck at all. It's pretty elementary stuff here.

Old
02-18-2007, 09:47 PM
djmarcopolo

yeah so dont you think they should have someone who can get them the puck,instead we give them peterson and put them together and they both are lost out there.if you dont think they are talented then thats your problem, sykora was once a member of the best trio in the league with arnott and elias, and lupul got to play with a bonified superstar at times, now they get peterson, you do the math. you obviously dont know what i mean.

Old
02-18-2007, 09:50 PM
alanschu

I thinkl you're completely missing the point.

The reason why they don't have the puck is not because someone can't pass it to them. It's because they can't take it away from the other team.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:59 PM
djmarcopolo

the reason they are chasing the puck is cuz they dont have the right linemates to maintain possesion and generate chances on offense.

Old
02-18-2007, 10:02 PM
alanschu

So you want to double shift players that need other players to maintain possesion and generate chances on offense?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote