HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official BEST WISHES TO BRENDAN SHANAHAN GDT Feb 18 : NYR vs CHI, 3:30pm NBC

Old
02-18-2007, 05:08 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
6 Atlanta------ 61 30 22 9 69
7 Carolina -----61 30 24 7 67
8 Toronto -----59 29 22 8 66

9 Ny Islanders- 59 28 23 8 64
10 Montreal ---60 29 25 6 64
11 Ny Rangers -59 28 25 5 63
Imagine if we had won that game yesterday...1 point out in 9th place.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:10 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by peantbuttapruchatime View Post
why would a team 1 point out of a playoff spot have a fire sale?
Every year, we get close enough to think we have a shot and become buyers instead of sellers. Every year, It pisses me off. If you think we're serious contenders the way this team is built, good for you. I have seen it too many times and I don't buy it. Sorry if that makes you think I'm an idiot. Pessimistic, sure... Idiot, I don't think so.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:12 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Imagine if we had won that game yesterday...1 point out in 9th place.
The sad thing is that that 1 game might end up costing us.

We should've beaten the crap out of the lowly Flyers. What do they have, 2 wins all year without Forsberg?

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:13 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Every year, we get close enough to think we have a shot and become buyers instead of sellers. Every year, It pisses me off. If you think we're serious contenders the way this team is built, good for you. I have seen it too many times and I don't buy it. Sorry if that makes you think I'm an idiot. Pessimistic, sure... Idiot, I don't think so.
look at the oilers last year, very similar situation and they made it to the finals...lets say this team goes out and gets a few more key players, why cant we have a serious shot?

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
The sad thing is that that 1 game might end up costing us.

We should've beaten the crap out of the lowly Flyers. What do they have, 2 wins all year without Forsberg?
no, just one, yesterday

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
They should seriously consider a fire sale. They lose to Philly and are in a one goal game vs. Chicago? Looks like another 4 and out even if we make it into the PO's.
Often playing like this is the best way to win a game against a team like Chicago, atleast if we didn't have such a bad confidence protecting a lead.

How often haven't we played teams like Chicago and been out there hunting for a 3-4 goals lead, but had problems scoring against a collected D and made misstakes instead.

A two goal lead is pretty safe against Chicago. If back down a bit and let they run the show, they will only screw up, and then we will start getting real chances, without giving up much.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:16 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Well you can be considered an idiot for throwing away the season when you're 3 points away from a playoff spot. So what if we're not going to be a strong team in the playoffs, at least we get there (just as long as we don't trade youth or draft picks). I'll tell you one thing, our team will play A LOT better this year then what they did last year in the playoffs. Instead of limping in with a disastrous end to the season. We'd actually have some momentum if we make it.
Listen, I'm not some troll coming over and screwing around, I'm as big a fan as any one of you guys, and I hope you are right and I'm wrong. And if that happens, I'll be the first guy here saying you were right and I was wrong. I have gone on at great length on numerous occasions about how I feel that the consistent failure of management to realize when we have a real chance and when we don't has crippled the long term health of this team. Sorry, but it looks like another episode of that unfolding to me. So while I hope it's not true, the trade deadline is very close and once it's gone, so will be the opportunities to help the team longer term. That's all I have to say, I have to go do idiot things now.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Garv23

We got 2pts, that's good enough for me. 2nd period and half of the third were dull but we could've easily won this game 4-1 if it weren't for Lalime.

I'd really like to never have to watch another game with those 2 announcers. Listening to Bob Ross while he painted was more thrilling.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:27 PM
farzamk*

Send a message via MSN to farzamk* Send a message via Yahoo to farzamk*
well rangers won, but i want them out of playoff contention, easier on the leafs

farzamk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Well you can be considered an idiot for throwing away the season when you're 3 points away from a playoff spot. So what if we're not going to be a strong team in the playoffs, at least we get there (just as long as we don't trade youth or draft picks). I'll tell you one thing, our team will play A LOT better this year then what they did last year in the playoffs. Instead of limping in with a disastrous end to the season. We'd actually have some momentum if we make it.
Not to pile on SML, what he said was pretty harmless, and defenitly don't warrant any talk like we saw.

But I defenitly agree with you about gooing for the PO's. I think its extremely important just to get in.

The PO's are so diffrent then the regular season. There is only one way to learn playing in the PO's, and that by dooing it. In some situations its so obivous how unexperienced we are as a franchise right now. Like even from the fans at MSG not putting pressure on the reffs, to the players getting rattled by a ordinary regular season game in Febuary, to scouts, coaches and management seeing what it takes, what players got it ect.

Another aspect is to wash away this loosing stamp thats accosiated with the team. I remember Lundqvist saying that allot of friend told him not to sign with NYR, to even force a trade, because we were in such a terrible shape. When I have seen mr no nerves, calmest goalie in the world, Henrik Lundqvist, look shaky I have at times wondered how much of that is a effect of all the talk about failure here in NY. When Marc Staal comes here the talk should be about him filling a important role that we lacked when we lost to Buffalo in the PO's, the talk shouldn't be about the team beeing a bust as usual the season before. He should be asked, "do you think you can be the player who can stop forwards like Afinegenov and Briere?". He should NOT have to listen to the vets talking about how it will be diffrent this time, how this team won't choke ect.

Old
02-18-2007, 05:36 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
...we lacked when we lost to Buffalo in the PO's
It will not be Buffalo.

My prediction is this

1 Buffalo
2 New Jersey
3 Tampa Bay
4 Ottawa
5 Pittsburgh
6 Carolina
7 New York Rangers
8 Fish stix or Maple Leafs

Sundin is more or less sure that The Leafs make it. Heard him say this tonight...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:41 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post

Sundin is more or less sure that The Leafs make it. Heard him say this tonight...
But what is he supposed to say? He is the friggin captain already!! But btw he said this in a private conversation with a friend...
Not that it matters

Old
02-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
Good lord.

When we lose, we suck.

When we win, we don't win convincingly enough?

Give me a break. You don't get style points; you get win points.
Apparently, a win isn't good enough for some people. It's ridiculous.

I could care less if we won 2-1, 3-2, 8-1...I wanna see this team get points in every game. I can understand the fans showing grief after losing but come on, after a 2-1 against Chicago? Chicago isn't THAT bad. I think they have 53 points...that's not horrible. Lalime had a good game...he was steady for the Hawks for the majority of the game. Straka hit two posts as well.

The negativity surrounding the Rangers is just horrible right now. We had a bad game against a team that literally beat us up when we faced off against Philly. It happens (more often than not) with the Rangers though. Philly played with an edge (in a cheap way IMO), but we still shoulda pulled out the win considering we had 43 shots. It was important that we came back and fought hard against Chicago and got the win. NOBODY should be complaining right now!

We are three points out of 8th and four points out of 7th with a couple games in hand on each team. One point away from both the Isles and MTL. That's pretty damn good considering we have 23 games left to play in the season.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:46 PM
dank

Quote:
It will not be Buffalo.

My prediction is this

1 Buffalo
2 New Jersey
3 Tampa Bay
4 Ottawa
5 Pittsburgh
6 Carolina
7 New York Rangers

ugh......

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:51 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi View Post

I could care less if we won 2-1, 3-2, 8-1...I wanna see this team get points in every game. I can understand the fans showing grief after losing but come on, after a 2-1 against Chicago? Chicago isn't THAT bad. I think they have 53 points...that's not horrible. Lalime had a good game...he was steady for the Hawks for the majority of the game. Straka hit two posts as well.

The negativity surrounding the Rangers is just horrible right now. We had a bad game against a team that literally beat us up when we faced off against Philly. It happens (more often than not) with the Rangers though. Philly played with an edge (in a cheap way IMO), but we still shoulda pulled out the win considering we had 43 shots. It was important that we came back and fought hard against Chicago and got the win. NOBODY should be complaining right now!

We are three points out of 8th and four points out of 7th with a couple games in hand on each team. One point away from both the Isles and MTL. That's pretty damn good considering we have 23 games left to play in the season.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:52 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
ugh......
Well, maybe we can find a way to finish 6th and play TB instead. I think that's a better matchup for us.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:05 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
ugh......

Old
02-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Fletch

Dubi...

you're right, a win isn't a win sometimes, and I agree with that thought process, by the way. If they play like they did today in the next two against the Devils, and other teams win, the playoffs become further out of reach. After a game like yesterday, what would be expected, on home ice, is a better effort. Chicago is a bad team, plain and simple. There's still too much sloppy play and too often there's not much flow. They need to play better. We're talking about a team vying for the playoffs. The two points are nice, but this team will have to play better down the stretch; bottom line.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:17 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi View Post
NOBODY should be complaining right now!

Agreed
I predicted this following sentance 3 games ago (regarding games until the trade deadline): If the Rangers play 5-2 hockey until then (which is highly possible) - they would need to go 11-8 the last 19 games to reach 91 points. Which is my current prediction to where an 8th slot would have to land to squeeze in - gathering the current "evenness" in the standings. This may however change...

So to go 3-1 the next 4 games would basically mean the above scenario would be realized. A split with The Devils and 2 more wins would create this. An 11-8 record (not really that outstanding) would then give 91 points. Which should be close to the magic number. WHAT THIS MEANS IN AN EVENTUAL PLAYOFF SERIES IS SOMETHING ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THOUGH...

Old
02-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Ola

Quote:
It will not be Buffalo.

My prediction is this

1 Buffalo
2 New Jersey
3 Tampa Bay
4 Ottawa
5 Pittsburgh
6 Carolina
7 New York Rangers

Thats defenitly possible.

Though, Pittsburgh might challenge NJD for the division. They got 14 wins and 2 OT losses there last 16 games... Its 7pts up and Penguins only got 2 games in hand, so it will of course be tough. But defenitly not impossible. They need to gain like 5pts on them over the last 23 games.

Old
02-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
you're right, a win isn't a win sometimes, and I agree with that thought process, by the way. If they play like they did today in the next two against the Devils, and other teams win, the playoffs become further out of reach. After a game like yesterday, what would be expected, on home ice, is a better effort. Chicago is a bad team, plain and simple. There's still too much sloppy play and too often there's not much flow. They need to play better. We're talking about a team vying for the playoffs. The two points are nice, but this team will have to play better down the stretch; bottom line.
Still, you know there is a awful amount of games like these played between good and poor teams in a NHL season.

Old
02-18-2007, 06:20 PM
polako

boring hockey is not necessarily bad hockey...or a poor effort.

seems like today's game had the recipe of one across the hudson. Get an early lead, fall back, play tightly, counterattack, and rely on your GK to cover up a couple of mistakes.

if some of you guys are expecting the NYR to look like the Brazilian national soccer club every night, and be dominating and entertaining, then you are in for a rude awakening.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:24 PM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Thats defenitly possible.

Though, Pittsburgh might challenge NJD for the division. They got 14 wins and 2 OT losses there last 16 games... Its 7pts up and Penguins only got 2 games in hand, so it will of course be tough. But defenitly not impossible. They need to gain like 5pts on them over the last 23 games.
I would (also?) much rather see Pittsburgh win the division race instead of the trapped in Hades Devils. And you are right with a very good point - they are smoking hot at the moment.

Old
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
After a game like yesterday, what would be expected, on home ice, is a better effort. Chicago is a bad team, plain and simple. There's still too much sloppy play and too often there's not much flow. They need to play better. We're talking about a team vying for the playoffs. The two points are nice, but this team will have to play better down the stretch; bottom line.
Honestly asking, did you see the game? The Rangers played possessed the first period and sat back on their lead and clamped down on defense. Of course they had one misstep and Havlat made them pay. Besides that it was a good win and the guys truly came forth with a good effort.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYROrtsFan

Some people are going a bit overboard here with what they are expecting... Yes it was only 2-1 but its not like the Rangers were outplayed for much of the game. That game could have easily been 4-1 but sometimes the puck just doesnt go in. Especially early on.

Towards the end it didnt have much flow but i think that is somewhat expected after an incredibly physical and exhausting Philly game.

I thought that Ward and Rachunek as a pariing are just having too many lapses... That has to stop because it is really hurting the team.

Cullen in that line were excellent. Nylander Avery and Prucha were good at times and Jagr line was good for the most part. Some poor defensive plays... ANd i think that is where the team misses Malik... I think Malik helps a lot with his passing.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote