HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Koivu should be traded

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2007, 11:44 AM
  #1
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Koivu should be traded

Like I mentioned last week... I'll bring it up again to see if the opinions have changed after another 4-5 "games" our glorious have "played".

Every year these meltdowns happen, so where is the captain in all of this? He should be the one fixing up the issues on and off the ice, along with the coach, and I don't believe 4-5 coaches have been unable to do their part. Koivu simply isn't able to keep a room in a good state for a whole year. And he hasn't been leading the team on the ice either ever since his buddy got benched. Great example there.

We should trade him and rebuild around our young guys and not rely on him to carry us to the cup, because it simply won't happen.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:45 AM
  #2
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,094
vCash: 500
you should be traded to another board.

He's our captain. Sure he's not a super talented 1st liner, but he's a pretty damn good 2nd line center.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:48 AM
  #3
Kruky
Registered User
 
Kruky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 659
vCash: 500
Agreed,

I think they should take the C away from him but that will just make things worse. So a trade is more likely.

Koivu is a good second line center, but he's a bad (one of the worse in the league) first line center. As for leadership, his leadership as been questioned for a number of years now by experts and I guess this year proves it. He might be a leader, but lacks the leadership a captain needs to have.

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:49 AM
  #4
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Nice way to revert to an insult because I bring up a very valid point concerning the "captain". Typical.

I ain't even talking about his hockey skills here, I think he is a good player too, but as a leader I don't think he cuts it. It's been 10 years now and he hasn't shown anything that makes me believe he can lead us to a cup. He's a great guy sure, but the dressing rooms keep getting poisoned, and the boys give up year after year. I can think of one exception and it was the year they eliminated the Bruins with Theo making miracles.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:50 AM
  #5
Subban Fan
Registered User
 
Subban Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
I'd try to trade Kovy before him...And i'd take the money to sign a real 1st line center...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:50 AM
  #6
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Nice way to revert to an insult because I bring up a very valid point concerning the "captain". Typical.

I ain't even talking about his hockey skills here, I think he is a good player too, but as a leader I don't think he cuts it. It's been 10 years now and he hasn't shown anything that makes me believe he can lead us to a cup. He's a great guy sure, but the dressing rooms keep getting poisoned, and the boys give up year after year. I can think of one exception and it was the year they eliminated the Bruins with Theo making miracles.
so you're saying just because you think he's not a good captain he should be traded?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:51 AM
  #7
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,241
vCash: 500
We could switch Koivu with any other captain in the league and I still don't think it would make any difference. The whole team is playing badly IMO, I don't think it's fair to dump all of this crap on Koivu.

__________________
Don Cherry is right...you don't poke the bear..you walk right up to it and punch it in the mouth. - Grant McCagg
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:53 AM
  #8
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,520
vCash: 50
It is miracle that this guy is still playing hockey after all he went throught. He has not the same stamina that others have and he CAN'T pace himself goes some lazy russians have grabbed their ***** all year long. Saku is trying, but the poor guy is out of gas. He needs help ****** it. He's obviously not part of the problem. He is the heart and soul of the team and works hard every shift of every game. I can't see why some people want him traded.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:54 AM
  #9
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
We could switch Koivu with any other captain in the league and I still don't think it would make any difference. The whole team is playing badly IMO, I don't think it's fair to dump all of this crap on Koivu.
Koivu or Souray, who could be the best captain?

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:55 AM
  #10
Ghost of Saku
Registered User
 
Ghost of Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 500
I would trade Kovalev in a heartbeat, not Koivu.
In Koivu we've got heart and a great second line center.
In Kovalev we have a heartless floater whose injuries have slowed his career down considerably.

Open up that 4.5 million for someone who will be worth it

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:56 AM
  #11
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
It's been 10 years now and he hasn't shown anything that makes me believe he can lead us to a cup. .
How about Leading the Fins over Russia at the olympics, to a silver medal, that happend just over a year ago.

We need to trade fans away like you instead.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:57 AM
  #12
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,521
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I hate the look at the past 10 years argument.
He played with an AHL team behind him for 8 of those years. How is he supposed to lead them to anything?

If you want proof of his leadership qualities, look at Finland. Time after time, they overachieve (except the one time Koivu didn't play).

Koivu is not the problem.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:58 AM
  #13
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,826
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
you should be traded to another board.

He's our captain. Sure he's not a super talented 1st liner, but he's a pretty damn good 2nd line center.
Agreed yet another rat jumping ship. Also last time I checked he does have a no trade clause.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:58 AM
  #14
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
Koivu or Souray, who could be the best captain?
I don't know either one personally, so I have no idea. If by chance they decided to take the C away from Koivu, Souray definitely wouldn't be a bad choice to get it.

I guess if we knew for sure that Souray was going to be back next year, maybe him the C and taking some of the pressure off Koivu would be a good thing.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:59 AM
  #15
Ghost of Saku
Registered User
 
Ghost of Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
How about Leading the Fins over Russia at the olympics, to a silver medal, that happend just over a year ago.

We need to trade fans away like you instead.
Get Selanne in a Habs uniform and we'll see that magic

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:59 AM
  #16
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
I would trade Kovalev in a heartbeat, not Koivu.
In Koivu we've got heart and a great second line center.
In Kovalev we have a heartless floater whose injuries have slowed his career down considerably.

Open up that 4.5 million for someone who will be worth it

I agree, I would hate to see Koivu leave after all he has done for the Habs, but I could definitely live without Kovalev.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:00 PM
  #17
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,521
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
Koivu or Souray, who could be the best captain?
I don't think it'd make a difference. Souray's got an 'A' and I doubt he'd lead any more than he is with a 'C'.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:00 PM
  #18
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I don't know either one personally, so I have no idea. If by chance they decided to take the C away from Koivu, Souray definitely wouldn't be a bad choice to get it.

I guess if we knew for sure that Souray was going to be back next year, maybe him the C and taking some of the pressure off Koivu would be a good thing.
Koivu should remain a Captain as long as he's in a Habs Jersey.
IMO, Koivu is a great player, but he's now a second line centre. We should try to land a 1st land centre this summer.

If Gainey decides to part with Koivu, then he could ask Souray to "Capt." Montréal

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:00 PM
  #19
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan View Post
It is miracle that this guy is still playing hockey after all he went throught. He has not the same stamina that others have and he CAN'T pace himself goes some lazy russians have grabbed their ***** all year long. Saku is trying, but the poor guy is out of gas. He needs help ****** it. He's obviously not part of the problem. He is the heart and soul of the team and works hard every shift of every game. I can't see why some people want him traded.
It's too bad that we are fighting for our playoff lives, because it would be nice to give Koivu a few games off to rest.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:02 PM
  #20
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
Get Selanne in a Habs uniform and we'll see that magic
Yeah your darn right or get some players besides a couple of guys who hardly have 3 NHL seasons under there belts.

Koivu plays with Ryder and Higgins and a bit with Latendresse this year guys who have hardly established themselfs in the NHL yet at all.

What do you expect he can only carry so much of the load thats why this trade him away crap is getting old, give Koivu some wingers with tallent and he will put points on the board.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:02 PM
  #21
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Yes, do you really think Koivu can stay here after we take out his C? I don't think it'd work for the fans, and the team.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:03 PM
  #22
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
Koivu should remain a Captain as long as he's in a Habs Jersey.
IMO, Koivu is a great player, but he's now a second line centre. We should try to land a 1st land centre this summer.

If Gainey decides to part with Koivu, then he could ask Souray to "Capt." Montréal
You don't have to sell Koivu to me, I would wear my Koivu jersey to work everyday if I could

I just think the poor little guy has so much pressure on him right now, plus he's still not fully healed from his injury last year. I definitely wouldn't pull the C from him, but if the team decided that was the best thing to do, my next choice for Captain would be Souray, he's proved a lot to me this year.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:04 PM
  #23
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Yes, do you really think Koivu can stay here after we take out his C? I don't think it'd work for the fans, and the team.
I think it would depend how it came out in the media. If it was a mutual decision then I think there wouldn't be a problem with Koivu staying. If they just decided to pull the C from Koivu's chest, then I could see there being some problems with him staying.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:05 PM
  #24
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Like I mentioned last week... I'll bring it up again to see if the opinions have changed after another 4-5 "games" our glorious have "played".

Every year these meltdowns happen, so where is the captain in all of this? He should be the one fixing up the issues on and off the ice, along with the coach, and I don't believe 4-5 coaches have been unable to do their part. Koivu simply isn't able to keep a room in a good state for a whole year. And he hasn't been leading the team on the ice either ever since his buddy got benched. Great example there.

We should trade him and rebuild around our young guys and not rely on him to carry us to the cup, because it simply won't happen.
I disagree. Koivu is our Captain and has shown that he has character enough to overcome greater obstacles than being 2 points out of the playoffs. He is respected by his team mates present and past for that character.

This is a bad time to start subtracting character from the dressing room.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:06 PM
  #25
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,826
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
You do not need to have a letter to be a leader.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.