HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM's Meeting today Naples Florida

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2007, 06:17 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

vCash: 500
Exactly.....If you want something, you will have to pay for it. Thats how it works and im glad that JM has that same mentality. No more of this trading players away because the other team needs to make a trade. If the trade will improve the team, do it. If others really want our vets, then they have to suck it up and give us what we want. Tough luck people, if you want our players, then suck it up and show us how much you want our guys. Bottom line, this aint no fire sale. If you want the goods then you have to pay up. Period

Old
02-21-2007, 06:26 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Exactly.....If you want something, you will have to pay for it. Thats how it works and im glad that JM has that same mentality. If others really want our vets, then they have to suck it up and give us what we want. Tough luck people, if you want our players, then suck it up and show us how much you want our guys. Bottom line, this aint no fire sale. The question is, how badly do the other teams want our guys.
That's not exactly how it works. A "price" is agreed upon between the buyer and seller. Martin has demands right now. The effect of his demands may not help Florida in the slightest because there are other sellers in the market with similar players available. If Martin tries to sell $50 value players for $100, Florida will lose any market share... but may drive up prices slightly for other teams like St.Louis, Phoenix, Colorado, Chicago, etc. Which means, maybe those teams can get $51 or even $55 per $50 player because Florida has essentially removed themselves from the market and reduced supply.

Old
02-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
The NHL is no different than any other business.

If the seller is not willing to let the buyer walk away, the buyer has the upper hand.

If the buyer is not willing to walk away, then the seller has the upper hand.

I personally would rather see Martin take a stand and risk getting nothing. I'd rather see that than see him take the safe route and accept table scraps. If anyone wants an edge come playoff time, they will pay a price. If they don't, that's ok. Let them walk Jacques. Let them walk.
exactly, there is NO Reason for us to even think about taking a crap offer just because its being offered.. if they bail out because its too high, so be it, we will keep them, we dont have to make a move for a cruddy pick at all if we dont want to we wont let the playoff team control the trading, martin knows what he wants and probably wont accept anything less and i love it! this TEAM isnt going to sit and take crap from other teams any more just because we are struggling, if they want the vets, pay up or leave, or even suffer losing in the playoffs because your unwilling to make a move. GMs doing well and heading for the playoffs always want something for nothing- well it isnt happening here.

Old
02-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
he'll either stop receiving calls or he'll dismiss a $50 offer early in the negotiations and miss his window completely. Leaving Florida stuck with them for this season. That of course, is not a problem if they're a part of next years plans... but if not, Martin's just wasted an oppurtunity to make the team better in the future

what, throw away stumpel, bertuzzi, roberts, gelinas, etc for crappy 3rd to 5th round picks, nah, thats quite alright, most of those picks NEVER pan out- how is that making the team better in the future? FYI we arent desperate to move any of our Vets. So losing a couple 3rd-5th round draft picks for maybe finishing the season in a good way is alot better to me, by all means keep your picks. thats quite alright with me. thanks..

Old
02-21-2007, 06:50 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
That's not exactly how it works. A "price" is agreed upon between the buyer and seller. Martin has demands right now. The effect of his demands may not help Florida in the slightest because there are other sellers in the market with similar players available. If Martin tries to sell $50 value players for $100, Florida will lose any market share... but may drive up prices slightly for other teams like St.Louis, Phoenix, Colorado, Chicago, etc. Which means, maybe those teams can get $51 or even $55 per $50 player because Florida has essentially removed themselves from the market and reduced supply.
Florida has the most players wanted around the league. Teams will overpay for a player they really want, its happened before and will happen again. Florida is not going to make trades just because an offer has come to them. When a team really wants someone, they will overpay to get it. And with all this talk about some of our players on the move, if teams really want them, they will pay. Right now, Florida has the upper hand. If others really want one of our guys badly enough, they will give the asking price. Its the same way when you buy an expensive car.....your not going to walk into a mercedes dealership and offer $20,000 for a $55,000 car. If you really want the car, you will pay for it. Thats just how it works.

Old
02-21-2007, 07:01 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
If Ottawa wants to hold on to Eaves & Vernette & all their young prospects thats OK. I doubt Martin called Muckler asking for them. It is Muckler, Burke, Ferguson, etc. who are calling Martin. They don't like his asking price. They cry to the media like whiny children. The media gladly lap it up. It's actually amusing listening to them get all worked up. Bottom line: We don't NEED to trade Roberts, Gelinas, Belfour, Stumpel or Bertuzzi. If a team wants them, it will be costly. It has to be. Otherwise, why would we trade them? I'd rather play the spoiler than watch our assets sold off for mediocre prospects and mid round picks.

Old
02-21-2007, 07:07 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Yes, exactly.........its like all these teams think they can get a brand new Porsche for $20,000. Aint happening. You want the goods, you will pay. Its as simple as that.

Old
02-21-2007, 07:15 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Florida has the most players wanted around the league. Teams will overpay for a player they really want, its happened before and will happen again. Florida is not going to make trades just because an offer has come to them. When a team really wants someone, they will overpay to get it. And with all this talk about some of our players on the move, if teams really want them, they will pay. Right now, Florida has the upper hand. If others really want one of our guys badly enough, they will give the asking price. Its the same way when you buy an expensive car.....your not going to walk into a mercedes dealership and offer $20,000 for a $55,000 car. If you really want the car, you will pay for it. Thats just how it works.
According to reports, Martin isn't asking $55,000 for a Mercedes. He's asking $55,000 for a Chevy Cavalier.
I would argue that St.Louis beats you in depth and quality, but teams aren't tied to dealing with one team. So I'm not sure how Florida pulling 4 mid-tier UFA's off of the market is going to shake the NHL to it's core and change years of deadline prices. If Martin believes that he's going to start a Marxist revolution, I suspect he'll be disappointed when other non-playoff GM's break ranks and leave Martin holding a ton on Enron stock after deadline day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog
If Ottawa wants to hold on to Eaves & Vernette & all their young prospects thats OK. I doubt Martin called Muckler asking for them. It is Muckler, Burke, Ferguson, etc. who are calling Martin. They don't like his asking price. They cry to the media like whiny children. The media gladly lap it up. It's actually amusing listening to them get all worked up. Bottom line: We don't NEED to trade Roberts, Gelinas, Belfour, Stumpel or Bertuzzi. If a team wants them, it will be costly. It has to be. Otherwise, why would we trade them? I'd rather play the spoiler than watch our assets sold off for mediocre prospects and mid round picks.
Again, if we trade either of those players for Roberts... we get worse this year. So there's zero incentive for Muckler to blow his head off with a shotgun before the playoffs even start.
Fair enough, but it could be a choice between a slightly less mediocre finish to this wasted season or a better year next year.
You do know that draft picks are traded for actual players all summer right?

Old
02-21-2007, 07:16 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Yes, exactly.........its like all these teams think they can get a brand new Porsche for $20,000. Aint happening. You want the goods, you will pay. Its as simple as that.
Who is the Porsche and who is the Mercedes?

Old
02-21-2007, 07:17 PM
PanthersFanatic12

i just heard , more names martins asking like alex steen or Matt Stajan. Man he aint messing around lol . lets all picture JM on the phone yelling " SHOW ME THE MONEY " lol

Old
02-21-2007, 07:31 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Again, if we trade either of those players for Roberts... we get worse this year.
If you think so then why is your GM trying to beef up his roster. Since Eaves & Vernette are clearly more valuable playoff performers than Roberts you guys should be set. Why are we having this discussion?

Old
02-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
i just heard , more names martins asking like alex steen or Matt Stajan. Man he aint messing around lol . lets all picture JM on the phone yelling " SHOW ME THE MONEY " lol
I doubt Stajan leaves for a rental, but it's very conceivable. The Leafs board would be livid, however.

Steen...no. Not a chance. Not for a rental. Not even from us, with a retard GM at the helm.

Old
02-21-2007, 07:34 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
Lets hope those are the names hes asking for. If so, lets go JM, get something done.

Old
02-21-2007, 07:34 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
According to reports, Martin isn't asking $55,000 for a Mercedes. He's asking $55,000 for a Chevy Cavalier.
You are rapidly losing credibility. If it were a Chevy Cavalier we were talking about, why would anyone care? Why is Burke all worked up? Why are we having this discussion?

We'll keep our Chevy Cavalier. It's fun to ride (when it runs), the sound system is not bad and we'd rather have fun in it than trade it to the guy down the street for some expensive raffle tickets.

Old
02-21-2007, 07:36 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
I think it's time to call this current debate on Panther trade value a stalemate.

All this back and forth and nobody's budging seems rather pointless.

Closed Thread