HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

White Flag

Old
02-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Beevatron2000

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Beevatron2000
White Flag

I, like many others, have been a faithful hold out over the last few months, waiting and hoping for the Oilers to turn there season around. From time to time occasional I could be heard predicting a failed season, but I wasn't willing to accept it until this afternoon when I got wind of the Marc-Andre Bergeron trade.

As TSN says, many Oiler fans will look at this trade as a waving of the white flag on the season, with one of Edmonton's top for defensemen leaving town and not help coming back. I am one of those fans. It seems clear that eight points in twenty-three games is far to big of gap to make up, especially given the way the team is playing, and trading away an experienced defensemen won't help the cause.

For me, it's time to look to next season, given the parity in the NHL under the new CBA it won't be long before Edmonton is back to being a playoff team.

Thoughts?

Beevatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 04:38 PM
stangconv

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beevatron2000 View Post
I, like many others, have been a faithful hold out over the last few months, waiting and hoping for the Oilers to turn there season around. From time to time occasional I could be heard predicting a failed season, but I wasn't willing to accept it until this afternoon when I got wind of the Marc-Andre Bergeron trade.

As TSN says, many Oiler fans will look at this trade as a waving of the white flag on the season, with one of Edmonton's top for defensemen leaving town and not help coming back. I am one of those fans. It seems clear that eight points in twenty-three games is far to big of gap to make up, especially given the way the team is playing, and trading away an experienced defensemen won't help the cause.

For me, it's time to look to next season, given the parity in the NHL under the new CBA it won't be long before Edmonton is back to being a playoff team.

Thoughts?

I was waiving my white flag when Bergeron was considered a top 4 defenseman.

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Beevatron2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
Fair enough

Old
02-18-2007, 04:46 PM
stangconv

Quote:
Fair enough
I mean cmon THIS is what we gave up. You think this signals the white flag? I think we got better now. It might light a fire under the other guys butts!

Anyways how do you know Lowe is done? He traded our worst defensemen and 6 hours later you want to throw in the towel?

Old
02-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Mizral

Quote:

Thoughts?
I feel the same way. By now I have become comfortable with the Oil missing the playoffs, but I will say this: I do not think this team needs the wholesale changes that some feel.

I think this question also ought to be asked:

Do the fans want Lowe to helm this new building phase? He seems to have been given a lot of leeway in this town, and I am inclined to think most fans would want him to continue on.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Beevatron2000

Lowe's capacity to govern this team to a championship shouldn't be a question. He's a good GM, he's patient, and the team has done well under his watch.

Old
02-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Gunner8811

This team needed help all year and to say that now yes it's time to sell out we are way to far back now is ridiculous. If they would have gotten some help somewhere along the way in the defence department I mean even before we lost 2 vets to injuries(Staios, Shaggy) it might have been a different outcome. To sit here and say ya Lowes the man he recognises we arent going anywhere this year and he's bettering us for the future is BS. If he would have did his job at some point during the year we might not have been in this predicament. I mean a team that had glaring holes and all he does is pick up Nedved in one full year of hockey. Give me a break.

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:06 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
I mean cmon THIS is what we gave up. You think this signals the white flag? I think we got better now. It might light a fire under the other guys butts!

Anyways how do you know Lowe is done? He traded our worst defensemen and 6 hours later you want to throw in the towel?
After every trade, there are always people who say "something else will follow."

Usually doesn't happen. Having more rookies in the lineup doesn't make us better in the short term.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Rin

Like i said in my last post, Lowe said there WILL probably be more trades and that he hasn't given up on the season.

Link again.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:07 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Like i said in my last post, Lowe said there WILL probably be more trades and that he hasn't given up on the season.

Link again.
Does any GM actually say, we give up?

Old
02-18-2007, 05:11 PM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
After every trade, there are always people who say "something else will follow."

Usually doesn't happen. Having more rookies in the lineup doesn't make us better in the short term.
Lowe seesm to like to trade in pairs

Pronger/Peca - one day apart

Spacek/Tarnstrom -one day apart

Roloson/Samsonov - Same day

That doesnt mean its gonna happen, but to say it usually doesnt happen isnt correct either.

Old
02-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Beevatron2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner8811 View Post
I mean a team that had glaring holes and all he does is pick up Nedved in one full year of hockey. Give me a break.
What would you have Lowe do? At what point has their been a good, solid puck moving defensemen available that wouldn't cost the Oilers? Calgary gave up Kobasew and Ference for Stuart and Primeau, do you think that's a good trade? Both those players will be UFA's (actually, I'm not 100% on Primeau, perhaps someone can correct me), and if they don't sign Stuart, that's a tough trade to swallow.

It's so easy to sit up hear on our high and mighty pedistal and cast down ridiculous judgement on a business that none of us fully understand.

Old
02-18-2007, 05:27 PM
ClosetOilersFan

Quote:

I think it's safe to assume more trades will follow.

Either Edmonton is going for it and we seriously need some help in both offense and defense (now, or we will not make it), or Edmonton realizes that the situation doesn't look good and capitalizes on the seller's market and brings in some serious prospects/picks.

ClosetOilersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:28 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Having more rookies in the lineup doesn't make us better in the short term.
It's been a long time since I saw Bergeron do much in the way of helping us. Gilbert, Roy... it isn't going to be much of a drop-off.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:30 PM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Justin View Post

Either Edmonton is going for it and we seriously need some help in both offense and defense (now, or we will not make it), or Edmonton realizes that the situation doesn't look good and capitalizes on the seller's market and brings in some serious prospects/picks.
LOL good point!!

I predict another Trade within 9 days!!!

Old
02-18-2007, 05:30 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Justin View Post

Yeah with the trade deadline there will be more movement, but I just don't see this trade as opening up a spot for another deal like some people see it as.

Old
02-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Rin

Quote:
Yeah with the trade deadline there will be more movement, but I just don't see this trade as opening up a spot for another deal like some people see it as.
All the GM's are together in a hotel now for 3 days...you never know. You.NEVER.know.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:34 PM
sweetcrude

Quote:
Had to chuckle a wee bit when reading Garth Snow describe Bergeron as an "excellent" defenceman.

How did Bob Uecker put it...? "Just a bit outside".

Bergeron was a good pickup for the Oilers and we got what I feel to be the best out of him. He certainly made more than his fair share of mistakes but the improvements expected of him never seemed to come to fruition. I hope this isn't the same scenario when it comes to Raffi Torres, but they are both the same age (correct me if I'm wrong), have gotten lots of opportunities and both have not improved to the level they were expected to. Maybe we were asking too much of Bergeron, but I don't think so. I've defended the guy and I still will as I don't believe he's as bad as all these Oiler fans make him out to be. He's not going to make the NYI a much stronger team, but it makes them stronger in the interim as they deal with some of their injuries.

As another contributor already posted... having room for another player like Gilbert is the biggest news of the day. Frankly, I'm not certain why Gilbert hasn't played more for us. He's having a pretty decent year in the AHL for his first.

sweetcrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
All the GM's are together in a hotel now for 3 days...you never know. You.NEVER.know.
Tim Hardaway hates the sound of that.

on a serious note, i think the oil are close. so if they make a few good sells to set up for next season they will be right back in it.

i'd sell sykora and smyth. attempting to resign smyth in the summer. why not? i never understand why more guys are not willing to try for a cup, help their beloved team retool and then come back. if recchi and weight can do it, why not smyth?

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:58 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:

gah. i hate that ridiculous video. you realize that you could put together a video just like that of wayne gretzkys bad passes, or michael jordan's airballs, or tiger woods' duffed tee shots.

the selective memory around this place is un-frickin-believable.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:01 PM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
gah. i hate that ridiculous video. you realize that you could put together a video just like that of wayne gretzkys bad passes, or michael jordan's airballs, or tiger woods' duffed tee shots.

the selective memory around this place is un-frickin-believable.
yup true, but this happens every game. For the record i dont mind MAB, but its not the end of the world, or time to wave the flag (wave the flag cause we lost mab? )

Thats all i am trying to get across

Old
02-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner8811 View Post
This team needed help all year and to say that now yes it's time to sell out we are way to far back now is ridiculous. If they would have gotten some help somewhere along the way in the defence department I mean even before we lost 2 vets to injuries(Staios, Shaggy) it might have been a different outcome. To sit here and say ya Lowes the man he recognises we arent going anywhere this year and he's bettering us for the future is BS. If he would have did his job at some point during the year we might not have been in this predicament. I mean a team that had glaring holes and all he does is pick up Nedved in one full year of hockey. Give me a break.
Yea, but do you really know if Lowe had not been looking to improve all year long? usually after Christmas is when teams get even serious about trades so give him some slack.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:04 PM
oilfan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
Tim Hardaway hates the sound of that.

on a serious note, i think the oil are close. so if they make a few good sells to set up for next season they will be right back in it.

i'd sell sykora and smyth. attempting to resign smyth in the summer. why not? i never understand why more guys are not willing to try for a cup, help their beloved team retool and then come back. if recchi and weight can do it, why not smyth?
Smyth is the OIL. Plain and simple.

Lowe should listen to this trade:

To PHI:
ANA 1st
Joffrey Lupul
Jason Smith

To EDM:
Joni Pitkanen

oilfan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Yanner39

Quote:

I don't understand this. Waving the whitew flag or throwing in the towel? There 23 games left, 5 of them against Minnesota. Youknow, as much as the Oilers have sucked, it can happen to any team, including Minnesota, including Vancouver.

Look, it's not like the Oilers have to leapfrog 2 or 3 teams.

There isn't a whole lot to like about his edition of the Oilers. What I like about today's deal is atleast lowe did something. That's what was pissing me off the most. Maybe in a week I'll still be pissed off, but Lowe said that they weren't throwing in the towel.

I find it funny that even some of the better posters on these boards come out and say the Oilers are now sellers after trading one of their defenseman that has struggled big time for over a year now. MAB started having problems when Pronger was taken away from him.

Meh, we'll see I guess. If the Oilers trade Smyth and Smith, then I'll believe it.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:35 PM
CB420

Quote:
To PHI:
ANA 1st
Joffrey Lupul
Jason Smith

To EDM:
Joni Pitkanen
This just seems a little to steep to give up for Pitkanen In my opinion.

he's a good player for sure, having an abysmel season this year,but there arent too many Flyers that arent. I wonder if Philly and Holmgren would make that deal taking out Jason Smith in that package. He's allready collected his 1st rounder in the Forsberg trade, he might be willing to get another one, but if Holmgren doesnt think theres a player with us much potential atleast on the blueline in this upcomming draft, that has the same or if not more future star potential that Pitkanen has, he probably wont make it.

CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote