HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TPS Feb 19th: KP on Grebeshkov...

Old
02-19-2007, 09:56 AM
oilswell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
You aren't serious right?
It's a shot at the fans/PR machine of the Oilers. Remember last year they publicly suggested that Mikhnov could just waltz into the 2nd line and replace Samsonov's skill there? That happened as predicted, right? And did fans buy the hype?

I mean, its a double spin: coat a mistake with so much candy it covers the sour taste of losses elsewhere. And who is to blame: the Oilers PR machine or the fans for being willingly abused?

This is a funny jab.

oilswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Matts

Yes, thanks OW:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell View Post
It's a shot at the fans/PR machine of the Oilers. Remember last year they publicly suggested that Mikhnov could just waltz into the 2nd line and replace Samsonov's skill there? That happened as predicted, right? And did fans buy the hype?

I mean, its a double spin: coat a mistake with so much candy it covers the sour taste of losses elsewhere. And who is to blame: the Oilers PR machine or the fans for being willingly abused?

This is a funny jab.
I know I don't post here that often but I'd imagine some guys read my blogging stuff and if they did they'd know that Smith thing was me taking a swipe at the Oil and KP in particular I didn't even listen to his edition of Oilers live because that guy tells more lies than my old ex-girlfriend.

And that my friend is a tall order

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:59 AM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Hmm... if Mikhnov and Grebeshkov are over next season, I wonder if there's an assistant coaching role for Ulanov here as well?

I could see him as a Russia scout. He of all people should know what kind of defensemen can't play in the new NHL

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
namflashback

I'm for trading Greene too. He has two guys behind him on the depth chart that have more of the skillset (puck movement, offensive touch) needed and there is no replacement for Gator yet. No doubt that Greene might improve over the next two seasons, but this team just can't afford to wait for that.

So for UFA or trade items, they need a top pairing LD, and a bottom pairing RD. Resign one of Tjarnquist/Hejda. Platoon Smid/Grebeshkov and platoon the RD UFA and Gilbert.

1 rookie a night please.

namflashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB420 View Post
Seriously? or are you saying that tounge-n-cheek? What could Igor Ulanov of all people do for us as a team that Billy Moores, Charlie Huddy and Craig Simpson can't do? Maybe as a scout I could see that, if Ulanov wants to take on that role for us sure, he could really provide another set of eyes to scout some future european prospects. Definately another countryman for Grebeshkov would help, look at Malkin and Gonchar, hockey is a universal language obviously it helps though if you can communicate your message clearly, Gonchar is playing the translater for Malkin, but iv'e seen times were on the bench, Crosby would goto Malkin and show him a spot to be from a playbook they have, or where to go, and be like 'ill get you the puck there, you be around that area' of course grebeshkov n Mikhnov arent as skilled of players as Malkin and Gonchar, its gonna take some time for them to develop n try n ease that transition in training camp, if Kevin Lowe can hire Ulanov as our "official Russian translator" im sure he would do that lol.
Well, he could speak Russian...

Honestly, it is tongue-in-cheek. Although I think that big Igor would make a dandy Oiler scout in Russia. I've always admired his fearlessness and loyalty to the Oilers and hope that he could find a place helping the Oilers with Russian kids.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:12 PM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by namflashback View Post
I'm for trading Greene too. He has two guys behind him on the depth chart that have more of the skillset (puck movement, offensive touch) needed and there is no replacement for Gator yet. No doubt that Greene might improve over the next two seasons, but this team just can't afford to wait for that.
I'd like to keep Greene. Every NHL team needs lower paid guys and if Greene doesn't improve he could be a younger guy that doesn't cost too much. Also he sounds like a down to earth type of guy that doesn't have an attitude.

A defenseman that is a offensive liability is better than a defenseman that is a defensive liability (you know who).

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
1. He's slow

2. He can't make passes

3. With his salary gone, we could afford an upgrade on defence
So... by trading away Smith's $1.9 million contract, you expect to attract a top 2 defender with that moolah? Name any names? Let's take a look at the defense next year WITHOUT Jason Smith in the picture.

Staios - Smid
Hejda - Greene
Gilbert - Grebeshkov

You think that's honestly better?

or do you think that the Oilers will magically sign a top pairing UFA dman when in the ENTIRE history of the Oilers, they've never managed to convince such a player to come to the Frozen North of Edmonton? Read that again - have NEVER signed a top pairing dman to come here. And somehow next season - it will happen? Does that make any logical sense?

Think of all the strong Oilers defensemen that have been here over the past 25 years... Coffey, Pronger, Brewer, Hamrlik, Mironov, Lowe... none of them in my recollection has been a UFA signing. Perhaps that speaks of the difficulty in signing high level talent to come here.

IMO - the only solution for the Oilers defensive woes - is to retain Smith - and trade or develop the top 4 talent.

That's why I like the Bergeron trade. It does two things - opens up a spot for a prospect dman to develop when it was clear that Bergie was not getting any better. And secondly Lowe rolls the dice on a 1st round draft pick dman who *might* be that top 4 defender in the future. At worst - he fails and we try again with another prospect.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:25 PM
Matts

Bergeron/Isles update

Him and Poti are playing together this afternoon vs the Pens. MAB just pinched at the left point and the Pens roared back on a three-on-one.

That being said you guys are all nuts if you don't think that Bergeron was useful and valuable. He was affordable and would continue to be for years and up until the last 25 games or so he was still having a great year exploiting the soft min and there's no doubt there's some value in being able to do that. The thing was though that with Smid sucking **** and looking like a guy that's no better than a bottom pairing guy come '08, well then it comes to the fact that if MAB can't step up and play top four min then you deal him because there's only so many guys you can shelter and heavens to grundo, big ups to anyone who gets that reference, you can't trade Bobby Smid!!

Musil was scouting this guy and Igor's his teammate so I think the Oilers believe that Grebby's a kid who will be able to move the puck and defend and his longterm upside supercedes that of MAB. And they'd better be right about that or else giving up that 3rd looks just stupid.

Regarding next year's D corps? I'm gonna say we start with 21-24-5 and 25's resigned and that means that we look for a Phillips or Pitkanen plus we bring in Grebby as well. I'm gonna go on a limb here and say that Grebby gets the Smid treatment next year, ie we start him with top four min whether he's ready or not, 5-25 are on the third pairing and Pitkanen or Phillips rounds out the top four with Grebby=Smith-Staios. That's certainly not the best plan and I'm with the guy that says one green D at a time, speaking of that I hope they trade Greene, but I just can't see any scnario where both Smid and Grebby aren't in the top six every night. Unless of course the Flyers demand Smid as part of the Pitkanen bounty.

Which I would be totally cool with BTW.

Either way, it looks like we're gonna be green on the blueline again next year and if that's the case I hope that at least young Matt isn't a part of that.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:29 PM
crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
I know I don't post here that often but I'd imagine some guys read my blogging stuff and if they did they'd know that Smith thing was me taking a swipe at the Oil and KP in particular I didn't even listen to his edition of Oilers live because that guy tells more lies than my old ex-girlfriend.

And that my friend is a tall order
This is a serious question...does anyone know of anyone ever being sued for slander or liable from a blog and/or post? I am not trying to be funny, but perhaps there is a reason real journalists go to real schools.

crashd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:49 PM
oilfan20

I would deal Smith for the simple reason his contract is up after next season. Staios just signed for what $2.9 per?? Smith will surly be looking for something similiar and he simply does not bring enough to the table to warrant a raise. His trade value will never be higher as someone else mentioned, so if we fall out of the race I would deal him in a heartbeat if he could fetch a decent return. Assuming of course that signing a dman is in the cards for the off season.

oilfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:57 PM
ClosetOilersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
1. He's slow

2. He can't make passes

3. With his salary gone, we could afford an upgrade on defence
1. Chris Pronger was also slow. Speed is only a side-benefit if it's there, Smith is a stay-at-home d-man, who cares if he's fast?

3. So we dump our #1 d-man to upgrade our D? No no no. We lack depth as well as a legit #1, this will still leave a serious problem. We still need Smith to fill the role of #3 or so.

Quote:
Those aren't good enough reasons.

2) He can't make a pass? Is that his sole purpose on this team? To make spectacular passes?

3) Tjarnqvist will also be gone, use the loss of his salary to afford the defence upgrade.
2. He makes a valid point. D-men should be able to make good passes.

3. Tjarnqvist makes petty change, hardly going to help us upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer81383 View Post
Hmmm...you ask for 3 reasons, someone else gives those 3 reasons and you disagree? That's their opinion, how can you tell them they are wrong? Magnus can easily say you are wrong. Everyone is intitled to their own opinion, after all, this is a message board.

My Reasons:

1). Takes dumb penalty after dumb penalty at crucial moments of the game
2). He gives up the puck much more than a no.2-no.4 defenceman should
3). His market value will not get any higher from here on out.
If we all just stated our opinions and omitted debate (agreeing & disagreeing), this would be one boring ass board... why not just post on TSN's lame forum?

Although I like your reasons.

Personally I'd like to trade him for youth before the deadline as his value will only get lower from here on out and we need to rebuild our D and hopefully sign someone in the off-season. A long-term upgrade.

ClosetOilersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 04:54 PM
PanniniClaus

Grebeshkov has a celeron processor when the NHL clearly requires a pentium just to compete. Ask the LA fans about him.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 05:16 PM
ClosetOilersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanniniClaus View Post
Grebeshkov has a celeron processor when the NHL clearly requires a pentium just to compete. Ask the LA fans about him.
\

ClosetOilersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
and you are running on a commodore 64 with a comment like that...

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 12:14 AM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootler View Post
and you are running on a commodore 64 with a comment like that...
It was a nice way of saying he does not process the game very well. Decision making. Maybe he will improve but he was a nightmare in his AHL, NHL stint. Not lies and trolling but an opinion.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:50 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Justin View Post
2. He makes a valid point. D-men should be able to make good passes.

3. Tjarnqvist makes petty change, hardly going to help us upgrade.

2. I agree that d-men should be able to make good passes, but has
gator ever been one of those d-men? Has he ever been able to make
good passes and just forgot how this year?

3. Tjarnqvist is making 1.625 Gator is making 1.976. Not a huge difference in salary, if you ask me.

Quote:
Hmmm...you ask for 3 reasons, someone else gives those 3 reasons and you disagree? That's their opinion, how can you tell them they are wrong? Magnus can easily say you are wrong. Everyone is intitled to their own opinion, after all, this is a message board.

My Reasons:

I did NOT say he was wrong or his reasons were wrong. I simply stated they aren't good enough reasons to convince me to trade him off. There certain things gator is looked upon to do, block shots and throw hits...he isn't looked up to be the fastest dman on the ice and make beautiful passes. He leads the team in hits, and is what 3rd in the league in blocked shots? Plus he is a leader. To throw that away because he is slow and can't make passes? Then the point about using his salary to find someone else, who can you get for $2mil that can do what gator does and more? That is why i said those reasons weren't good enough reasons to convince me that he should be traded.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:09 AM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
So if Mihknov was gonna replace sammy...
does that mean that Denis G will replace Jason Smith?
Have you watched Samsonov this season? Mihk probably could have more than replaced him!

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:52 AM
Greater Malison
He Knows. You Don't.

Send a message via AIM to Greater Malison
I always wanted to see more of Grebeshkov in LA but under Andy Murray theres just no way a player who doesn't give his all is going to get a decent amount of ice time even if they are a work in progress. I don't know how his situation played out on Long Island but I can tell you this, the Kings organization thought so lowly of him they traded him to the Isles when their cupboard of Dman prospects was completely bare.

Greater Malison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 12:40 PM
alanschu

Quote:
It was a nice way of saying he does not process the game very well. Decision making. Maybe he will improve but he was a nightmare in his AHL, NHL stint. Not lies and trolling but an opinion.
We'll throw a huge friggin' heat sink on him an OC the crap out of him.

With enough supporting equipment, even a Celeron can make do.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:18 PM
callighenfan
H.O.N.P.E.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Justin View Post
1. Chris Pronger was also slow. Speed is only a side-benefit if it's there, Smith is a stay-at-home d-man, who cares if he's fast?
I think you're wrong here. Pronger isn't a legs-churning blazer, but he covers a great deal of ground quickly because of his height and long stick. And even if he didn't, he's better at positioning and manhandling guys in the stay-at-home role than Smith too. Speed always helps, unless you're extra good at those things. Smith was struggling with them for awhile, though I think he's picked up his game considerably the last little while, and I'm not in favour of trading him unless the return is surprisingly good.[/QUOTE]

callighenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Those aren't good enough reasons.

1) Because he is slow? You trade your captain because he is slow? When was he ever regarded for his amazing speed?

2) He can't make a pass? Is that his sole purpose on this team? To make spectacular passes?

3) Tjarnqvist will also be gone, use the loss of his salary to afford the defence upgrade.
4) He's a crappy captain.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Wrecker99

Get a grip people. We're talking about getting rid of Smith & Greene just because we got some off the map russian! Geez, talking about going off the GD deep end. When I think of european oilers lately I think of Mikinov (who, where??) Nittimaki, Dopita, etc etc etc. Greene is going to be a VERY good player in this league, perhaps not under MacT's eye. Lets also not forget MacT doesn't like rookies, nor can he handle them. Going into next season with Smid, Grebesokov (or how ever the hell you spell it), Gilbert, Roy, Greene....can't see MacT handling or accepting that.

Wrecker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:15 PM
The Rage

Quote:

My Reasons:

Trading Smith would be ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. We need more experience on defense, not less, and no way are we going to get an experienced top-4 defenseman who will play for Smith money next year.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:19 PM
BleedingOil

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
Trading Smith would be ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. We need more experience on defense, not less, and no way are we going to get an experienced top-4 defenseman who will play for Smith money next year.
Sorry but you need to screw your head back on, Smith is not Smith anymore. We may need experiance but we need quality experiance, Smith was good when he was young in the old NHL. But most nights he's brutal.

BleedingOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:21 PM
BleedingOil

vCash: 50
Grebeshkov was a steal, he will be the real deal. Please mark my words....

BleedingOil is online now   Reply With Quote