HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster for next season...wide open

Old
02-18-2007, 07:37 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Roster for next season...wide open

I think its come to a point where the rebuild is backing up in some critical areas. I think you have to honestly look at the roster and ask some hard questions.

1. Sutherby-no points in 22 games. That can't be acceptable. More over is a 4th line player all we are going to get from Sutherby? I think his future in Washington is on the fence.

2. Pettinger-2 goals in the last 28 games. Thats not enough to support him as a 3rd liner.

3. Eminger scratched and Heward and Erskine are playing almost 19:00.

I think most of us thought that the glue players up front and the young players on defense were pretty well locked in for next season and the team needed a veteran defenseman and Backstrom to compete.

Its bad enough now that Ovechkin has shut down, the young defensemen other than Morrisonn are in shambles and the glue players are collectively offering NO offense at all.

The team has hit the wall. Hanlon has gotten all there is to get from them and its time to start asking how many changes will there be for next season?? How much longer do they continue to lose before coach and gm are in jeopardy?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Ridley Simon

[QUOTE=txpd;8126153]I think its come to a point where the rebuild is backing up in some critical areas. I think you have to honestly look at the roster and ask some hard questions.

1. Sutherby-no points in 22 games. That can't be acceptable. More over is a 4th line player all we are going to get from Sutherby? I think his future in Washington is on the fence.

2. Pettinger-2 goals in the last 28 games. Thats not enough to support him as a 3rd liner.

I think most of us thought that the glue players up front and the young players on defense were pretty well locked in for next season and the team needed a veteran defenseman and Backstrom to compete.

Its bad enough now that Ovechkin has shut down, the young defensemen other than Morrisonn are in shambles and the glue players are collectively offering NO offense at all.

The team has hit the wall. Hanlon has gotten all there is to get from them and its time to start asking how many changes will there be for next season?? How much longer do they continue to lose before coach and gm are in jeopardy?[/[QUOTE]

Most here would say "at least a few more years". Good thing we aren't a Fortune 500 company

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 07:59 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think its come to a point where the rebuild is backing up in some critical areas. I think you have to honestly look at the roster and ask some hard questions.

The team has hit the wall. Hanlon has gotten all there is to get from them and its time to start asking how many changes will there be for next season?? How much longer do they continue to lose before coach and gm are in jeopardy?
I don't want to beat the Sutherby/dead horse issue too much. It's obvious where he stands on the team right now. He's a 4th liner with some spot 3rd line duty. I'm OK with that, but he's playing himself into the "trade bait" category and that's disappointing. I feel the same about Pettinger.

I'm perplexed by the Eminger situation. It seemed like he had turned the corner since the start of the year. Sure he's struggled of late, but so has the team for the most part. They're either making a serious statement to him right now to get his act together, or something is brewing. Honestly I hope we hang onto him for another season and make a move next year if things are still not working out. The only issue I see with doing that though is that his value could continue to drop if he continues to play poorly.

As for GMGM and Hanlon....Unless the team totally goes into the tank and blatantly quits(which looks like a possibility at this point), they aren't going anywhere for now.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 08:14 PM
The Viking Fury

things are weird right now. I don't know what to think

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Jasper17

Its really easy to sit here and say trade Sutherby. But what in the world does anyone expect to get back for him? He has become a 4th line center who can provide depth for the 3rd line and great leadership in the locker room. And he does so for a good price.

If this guy was a former 30 goal scorer who makes millions a year than I would agree with people. But trading this guy will bring in next to nothing in return, unless you just want another 3rd pairing defensman or 4th line winger .

I have felt all year that Pettinger's struggles have been because he has been asked to do to much. I think these last few games he has looked good since being paired with Gordon and Bradley, players who he fits in much better with.

Eminger is the only player on this team that I will change my stance on. I still don't think the Caps should move him, but being scratched two games in a row so guys like Heward can play doesn't look good. The only thing I can assume after these two games is that the org obviously doesn't like him as much as I thought he did and you have to think their is at least a 50/50 shot he gets moved this summer. But once again what do the Caps get back for him? Teams are going to look at the Caps and see that this player can't get a spot in the lineup that is made of 3rd pair defensman and offer what? a top 6 forward

Its very easy to say "this player is doing enough lets move him for someone that will". But IMO its is by far better to keep Sutherby and Pettinger than even consider moving them because you just not going to get anything back. Certainly not anyone who means as much to the locker room. Eminger may have some trade value, but that is going down every game he spends in the press box (see Jurcina for a 4th rd pick).

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:01 PM
ALEX THE 8*

AO is in a slump, reason Hanlon's great system of using the trap. You have to let him create & Hanlon is'nt getting the job done.

Sutherby, Eminger ...see ya...time is up.

I give Hanlon 1 more yr.

Call up Flash and see what he can do. Fehr looks like the real deal.

ALEX THE 8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:02 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

There are ups and downs. Everyone can't go up. The most troubling is how AO is playing (please don't treat me like CP). I can't say its AO's fault, the system, or his linemates/Dmen. I'm sure its a combo of all 3.

But as far as the future is concerned, I'm okay with the rebuild progress and don't see any reason to panic ( as long as we get a 4-6M UFA Dman).

You can't deny the most positive things this year have been:
AS production
Shultz and Fehr's play at this level (70% of Gordon)
Play of prospects: Backsrom, Varlamov, Neuwirth, Bouchard, Pearrault, A. Gordon
Jerki's first 10 games

Negatives:
Suts, Petty, Emmi, Pokulok, AO's recent troubles, 2nd line C

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:17 PM
txpd

I go back to a question that I asked back during the holidays slump. How long can the losing continue without it effecting the rebuild. I think its approaching that point.
As of now they are 14th in the conference and falling further behind.

Last year at this time they were starting to play consistantly. They rode that momentum into playing at .500 or better for the first half of this season. You could see tangible improvement in several areas of the game.

Now you can look at the team and areas of improvement that have regressed. Players like Sutherby and Pettinger who stepped their games up over the last half of last season are really fighting it. Those were supposed to be core players.

On defense, its seems to me that the plan is in trouble. Morrisonn has earned his place. Had Eminger started to solidify is place on the team and Green establish his place on the team as a rookie, you could see the addition of a top pair defenseman and possibly a rookie like Schultz being added for next season if he was ready.

At this point the entire plan for building the defense is in shambles. Eminger and Jurcina are both rfa after the season. I am starting to think that Jurcina is in the process of playing Eminger off the team. I can't imagine that the Caps get much in return for a player that has played himself off the Caps lineup sheet three seasons in a row. Players on the scratch sheet don't get much return. Look at Jurcina.

I am a little less worried about Green. They sent him to the minors to get his offensive game and his confidence back in order, but I had hoped he would be a top 4defenseman by now if Eminger couldn't handle it. Instead they have both failed.

This I believe even more so now. The Caps will get no where with these young defensemen unless and until they have quality established NHL veteran defensemen for them to play with. As long as the defense corp is between 20 and 25 plus a waiver wire level player like Erskine or Muir or two they will never get anywhere.

If Leonsis sits on his bank account again this offseason and does not make a tangible step in the direction of building the team, I am going to pass on center ice next season and watch the team via box scores until I see that the ownership is willing to make an effort.

The idea of having a player like Ovechkin on a last place team for a 3rd straight year is a tragedy I don't need to watch.

Old
02-18-2007, 09:22 PM
shaner89

AO Zubrus Clarke
Semin Backstrom Fehr

looks pretty nice to me. That 2nd is better than the 1st line imo.

Its the defense that needs some serious work

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:24 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores View Post
There are ups and downs. Everyone can't go up. The most troubling is how AO is playing (please don't treat me like CP). I can't say its AO's fault, the system, or his linemates/Dmen. I'm sure its a combo of all 3.

But as far as the future is concerned, I'm okay with the rebuild progress and don't see any reason to panic ( as long as we get a 4-6M UFA Dman).

You can't deny the most positive things this year have been:
AS production
Shultz and Fehr's play at this level (70% of Gordon)
Play of prospects: Backsrom, Varlamov, Neuwirth, Bouchard, Pearrault, A. Gordon
Jerki's first 10 games

Negatives:
Suts, Petty, Emmi, Pokulok, AO's recent troubles, 2nd line C
1. how many $5m defensemen are willing to sign up for a last place team?
2. Schultz has played about as well as Eminger and Green have during stretches of the same lenth or longer. He may be part of the solution at somepoint but the Caps will be going nowhere if they intend to use more than three of the young defensemen in their top 6. Defense is as much about experience as it is about talent. Morrisonn, Eminger, Green and Schultz all have the raw skill to be good players but there is zero balance on that defense. They need three defensemen with equal skill of the young players and the experience they dont have OR they will not be going anywhere for a long time.
3. Fehr...has 2 goals and 1 assist in 12 games. I am not overwhelmed.
4. Backstrom is the only player on the prospects list that will be any help in the next couple of years. its nice to have prospects, but when the prospects of the team are not looking better its not much to be happy about.

Old
02-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
2. Schultz has played about as well as Eminger and Green have during stretches of the same lenth or longer. He may be part of the solution at somepoint but the Caps will be going nowhere if they intend to use more than three of the young defensemen in their top 6. Defense is as much about experience as it is about talent. Morrisonn, Eminger, Green and Schultz all have the raw skill to be good players but there is zero balance on that defense. They need three defensemen with equal skill of the young players and the experience they dont have OR they will not be going anywhere for a long time.
4. Backstrom is the only player on the prospects list that will be any help in the next couple of years. its nice to have prospects, but when the prospects of the team are not looking better its not much to be happy about.

1. A defenseman who is probably worth 4 and a quarter. You overpay to get talent in the Free Agent market. Do I like it? No, but thats how it goes.

3. Fehr's issues are as much Semin as they are the complete lack of offensive talent they have between the two of them. He has had chances. Putting them away is the next process.

4. Next couple of years? Next year, Backstrom would be the only who will contribute significantly most like. But I could see a number of players who contribute significantly in the next 2-3.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 09:48 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
1. one that "deserves" 4M
2-3. If you can't see the difference in play, not production, of these two I can't help you. I prefer Shultz's play so far over any stretch Green or Emi has played this year. Fehr's play is so far above last year it's amazing. The production will follow as I see a 30g-25a season for him next year.
4. It's better than the opposite

Old
02-18-2007, 10:07 PM
txpd

its a results based league. play well and lose is still zero standings points. Schultz has been respectable in his time. Eminger was downright outstanding for that 10 or 15 games stretch where he was +9. Green was on the young stars team for a reason. Its consistancy or the lack of it that is the issue. Schultz has not been around long enough to judge on that level.

Fehr...I can see that he could be a 20 goal guy next season, but the amount of his chances that he misses, gets blocked or hits the goalie has been the difference in a couple of L's being W's in this stretch. Again its about production, not looking good.
Here's hoping, but at this points its just another penny in the wishing well for next season.

Look at the Caps roster and there are a lot of question marks. I was hoping some of the questions coming into this season would be answered a little better. Here are a few of those.

1. Is Ovechkin really that good? Yes
2. Can Chris Clark score 20 goals again? Yes
3. Can Zubrus score 20 again? Yes
4. Can Pettinger score 20 again? No
5. Can Sutherby score 15 goals? No
6. Can Eminger establish his NHL game? No
7. Will Eminger find and offensive game? No
8. Will Ben Clymer be able to repeat 16 goals? No

Summary: Clark and Zubrus..last year was in fact the real thing. Pettinger, Sutherby, Clymer were career years.

Old
02-18-2007, 10:19 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
I go back to a question that I asked back during the holidays slump. How long can the losing continue without it effecting the rebuild. I think its approaching that point.
Hasn't hurt Pittsburgh

Last year at this time they were starting to play consistantly. They rode that momentum into playing at .500 or better for the first half of this season. You could see tangible improvement in several areas of the game.
And see where it got us this year

Now you can look at the team and areas of improvement that have regressed. Players like Sutherby and Pettinger who stepped their games up over the last half of last season are really fighting it. Those were supposed to be core players.
Core 3-4 liners. Petty has been injured for most of the season or he has become a "pu$$y overnight. He has just recently started banging a little more an stopped pulling up. I can't imagine what a collar injury does to a player of his type. As for Suts... YAWN!

On defense, its seems to me that the plan is in trouble. Morrisonn has earned his place. Had Eminger started to solidify is place on the team and Green establish his place on the team as a rookie, you could see the addition of a top pair defenseman and possibly a rookie like Schultz being added for next season if he was ready.
Not all the guys are going to make it. If we made an entire team based on our draft picks, well, be either extremely lucky at draft/developing or extremely bad at filling in the holes.

At this point the entire plan for building the defense is in shambles. Eminger and Jurcina are both rfa after the season. I am starting to think that Jurcina is in the process of playing Eminger off the team. I can't imagine that the Caps get much in return for a player that has played himself off the Caps lineup sheet three seasons in a row. Players on the scratch sheet don't get much return. Look at Jurcina.
Shambles? There are many instances where UDFA, late round picks, waiver wire, and cheaply traded players have outperformed 1st round picks (no matter how much a fuss Teddy puts on having 18million 1st rounders on the team.

I am a little less worried about Green. They sent him to the minors to get his offensive game and his confidence back in order, but I had hoped he would be a top 4defenseman by now if Eminger couldn't handle it. Instead they have both failed.
How many top 4 on real teams are there at age 21-23? If they failed I'd hate to see you expectations for passing

This I believe even more so now. The Caps will get no where with these young defensemen unless and until they have quality established NHL veteran defensemen for them to play with. As long as the defense corp is between 20 and 25 plus a waiver wire level player like Erskine or Muir or two they will never get anywhere.
Erskine>Muir. You shouldn't equate those two. Muir is there only for his PP left shot. Jony bring a lot more to the table (young, physical, RFA, left shooting, excellent poke check). That being said I agree with your premise of a vet and its what I require in order to not join the BOD . IMHO they recognize it also and will get one. I'd say 70-30 odds.

If Leonsis sits on his bank account again this offseason and does not make a tangible step in the direction of building the team, I am going to pass on center ice next season and watch the team via box scores until I see that the ownership is willing to make an effort.
You sound like me after my divorce... but of course I didn't renouce women and join the switch hitters club. Eventally distance makes the heart grow stronger and you get back on that horse!

The idea of having a player like Ovechkin on a last place team for a 3rd straight year is a tragedy I don't need to watch.
If the tragedy ends up like Pitt in the late 80's early 90's then I'll be happy.

Old
02-18-2007, 10:24 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
its a results based league. play well and lose is still zero standings points. Schultz has been respectable in his time. Eminger was downright outstanding for that 10 or 15 games stretch where he was +9. Green was on the young stars team for a reason. Its consistancy or the lack of it that is the issue. Schultz has not been around long enough to judge on that level.

Fehr...I can see that he could be a 20 goal guy next season, but the amount of his chances that he misses, gets blocked or hits the goalie has been the difference in a couple of L's being W's in this stretch. Again its about production, not looking good.
Here's hoping, but at this points its just another penny in the wishing well for next season.

Look at the Caps roster and there are a lot of question marks. I was hoping some of the questions coming into this season would be answered a little better. Here are a few of those.

1. Is Ovechkin really that good? Yes
2. Can Chris Clark score 20 goals again? Yes
3. Can Zubrus score 20 again? Yes
4. Can Pettinger score 20 again? No
5. Can Sutherby score 15 goals? No
6. Can Eminger establish his NHL game? No
7. Will Eminger find and offensive game? No
8. Will Ben Clymer be able to repeat 16 goals? No

Summary: Clark and Zubrus..last year was in fact the real thing. Pettinger, Sutherby, Clymer were career years.
I hear what you are saying but I look at the half full glass. AS didn't look like a 30+ goal scorer in '03-04.

6=7
8 didn't really matter as far as the "rebuild" goes.
4 will happen next year
5 I could care less
1 I worry about
I care more about how much attention AO's C and RW draw attention away from them than I ever will about a total amount of goals scored. Cause if they do,those goals (and points) will come.

Old
02-18-2007, 11:00 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
AO Zubrus Clarke
Semin Backstrom Fehr

looks pretty nice to me. That 2nd is better than the 1st line imo.

Its the defense that needs some serious work
I don't think that looks very good at all going into next season. A top line that simply doesn't work and a 2nd line that has 2 rookies.

That top line will never be good enough, and I don't think this team will ever do anything as long as players like Chris Clark are expected to play top 6 roles. I love the guy as the captain, and I know his stat sheet looks decent. But he just isn't talented enough for that role.

I am starting to wonder what a 3rd line of Pettinger - Gordon - Fehr would do for next season. As Fehr certainly has the potential to add some scoring to the checking line.

And if the plan is to play Backstrom with Semin next season as reported during the game, i think you have to put a defensive responcible vet on the RW to help ease Backstrom into the NHL. Clark could do that role for a year until someone else with actual top 6 talent can be found.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:13 PM
dinoflint

Quote:

The only thing that comes to mind is that you asked for way too much to happen in one year...

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Atlas

Lots of txpd doom and gloom here.

The Caps are 4 games under .500...that's a pretty good year. If making the playoffs this year was important enough to risk the future GMGM would have swung a few deals and we would have sqeaked into 7th or 8th place. But the fact is that making the playoffs this year is not important enough to trade away a Fehr or a #1 draft pick.

The good news is that the organization has been able to get a good read this year on who can hack it in the NHL and who can't. Semin, Green, Schultz and Fehr all look to be the real deal. We have lots of prospects to use as bargaining chips if we want.

The first line is a mess right now and I see that along with the need to add an impact D man as the two major issues. I love Chris Clark but he has no business being on the first line. Third line for him. Zubrus? I think my position is well-known about him at this point. So, next year the first line has to change...

AO -- Backstrom -- ???
Semin -- ??? -- Fehr

Yeah, there are question marks but if we don't trade Zubrus then he would suffice as a place-holder at first line RW. And signing a UFA as a 2nd line center is do-able.

I'm optimistic about next year. This year has taken a bit of a down-turn but it's always darkest right before dawn.

Last edited by Atlas: 02-19-2007 at 02:31 AM.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Langway
Intangibles

I don't honestly think that losing right now seriously impacts the rebuild. The assumption in that is that developmental progress equals winning. The problem isn't the losing so much as the lack of apparent developmental progress both among key individuals and the team as a whole.

If you look around the league I'm not sure if there is a worse offensive team out there in terms of transitioning smartly and passing efficiently. I often just shake my head when watching Caps games, comparing their transition game to other teams in the league. They have the Alexanders to self-create off of the rush but little else.

It's not the fact that they're losing...it's that they look like they've regressed developmentally as a team. That, to me, is much more worrisome...particularly since this seems to be effecting so many players and their collective intensity & confidence as a whole.

The list of players that have progressed this year is about equal, imo, to those that have regressed but the drop-off among some of the regressions is far larger than the progression among others.

I'd say that Clark, Semin, Fehr, Laich, Gordon and Schultz have all progressed over the course of the year. But those that have regressed (either over the course of the year or compared to last year) are Ovechkin, Pettinger, Sutherby, Clymer, Pothier and Heward. Ovechkin and Heward I can understand (Ovechkin is proving that he doesn't think the game as well as he needs to and needs to be less emotional and more cerebral as a player and Heward is...well...Heward) but the decline in the play of Pettinger, Sutherby, Clymer and Pothier I can't frankly explain. You can make the case, I guess, that Petty & Suts are just simply young and inconsistent but they looked far more intense and mature last year for the most part. Clymer & Pothier are older players but neither seem to have their heads in the game of late. (Yes, Pothier has been hurt but even before that he'd been quiet.)

With all of this said, this off-season should serve as a time to review the season and make some serious changes to the top 6, the bottom 6 and the defense. That's easier said than done and it's an open question the extent to which the front office will recognize and address the ongoing problems which I currently see as:
1. lack of passing skill in the top 6 and the transition game overall
2. lack of consistency, energy and contributions from the bottom 6
3. lack of offense from the D as a whole
4. lack of focus and organization in the overall gameplan (are you a hard working team or not? Ok, then play like it, be motivated and consistently driven)

Bringing in another scoring-line center and an experienced defenseman that can play in all situations should help out, combined with the increased experience of all of their younger players.

As far as prospects are concerned, I'm not as pessimistic. Backstrom is their only big-time impact player but they should get a blue-chipper in June and I've been impressed with the development of the likes of Osala, Bouchard, A.Gordon, Morin, Neuvirth, Varlamov and Perreault. Chances are none of those guys make the team next year but they're in the pipeline and have shown potential to be NHLers.

Last edited by Langway: 02-19-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Atlas

AO, aka My Hero, will be fine as soon as GMGM gets him legit 1st line talent to play with. Imagine what his numbers would be like if he were playing with Crosby or Malkin...Sakic or Sundin...but no he is playing with Zubrus who just fouls up play after play and Clark, bless his heart, who just has no business on AO's line.

It wears on me that AO has no one better to play with (and we don't have any Bobby Orr's on defense either) and I'm sure he is frustrated as well. I know he loves Zubrus as a person but he is a frustrating hockey player on the 1st line. It looks like Zubbie is gonna make something great happen with the puck but then it slides off his stick or he falls down.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:48 AM

I have to agree with ididit, though were in something of a slide as of late I too concur that in the end wont set back the "rebuild" to far. Having said that we have alot of bright spots that are keeping the future looking promising. A top 5 pick is becoming more likely by the day and quite frankly I'm ok with that.

Now to the current issues....

Zubrus: Kinda sticking with the mode here, if he wants to stay, sign him. If he's not really determined to stay and help the "rebuild" move him, but my stipulation is that I wouldn't ask for draft picks in return, but we'd have to demand either a defenseman who will be ready to play next year or a 1/2 center.

Zednik: Personally I've been disspointed with him this season, I know he was injured so that doesn't help his case, but I was excited for him and thought he'd fit well but has really been a bust. Almost have to move him IMO, draft picks would be acceptable but again I'd push for NHL ready player.

Clymer/Beech/Heward/Muir: .... Um, yeaahhhh .... I'd be ok keeping Heward for perhaps the bottom pair defenseman next year but that's about all I like out of that bunch.

Eminger/Sutherby: Sigh, the amount of dissapointment between the two of these guys is really upsetting. I'd be ok moving both of them for I feel they need a change of scenary, but similiar to the Zubrus comment, a top-2-pair dman is a must in return for Eminger and a top center for Sutherby as well.

Needs: 1/2 Top D-Men, 2nd Line Center, 2/3 RW (I'd be content moving our top-5 pick for a ready d-man, Pitkanen, Souray ...etc.)

In regards to the bright spots that were previously mentioned. Mo and Schultz have been solid and that is truely comforting going into next season. On a peronsal note I've been blown away with Clark this season, he's really taken on the "C" with a mission and has been putting up numbers to boot (though he should be on the checking line). Green has shown flashes of brilliance and I'm pretty confident to say he'll make the top 2 pair for next season. Pothier, up & down, need more offense from him. I can go on and on but I'll stop there. My 2 cents.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:49 AM
francklem

what are the chances that Tomas Fleischmann and Eric Fehr to make the team ull time next year ?

francklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:35 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

[QUOTE=ididitlangway;8129954]

I'd say that Clark, Semin, Fehr, Laich, Gordon and Schultz have all progressed over the course of the year. But those that have regressed (either over the course of the year or compared to last year) are Ovechkin, Pettinger, Sutherby, Clymer, Pothier and Heward. QUOTE]

IDLW: I agree with mostly all you mentioned except I wouldn't care about those who dropped. Comparing the above its more quality that quantity. The one's who have dropped the most are not as important to the rebuild and those that are have issues. AO hasn't dropped much (until lately). Petty, Suts, Clymes, Pots, and Heward are all guys that are not top guys in our rebuild. Based on $ and term only Pots is the biggest disappointment. IMHO Petty will rebound nexy year in the 3rd line role.

Old
02-19-2007, 01:56 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores View Post
IDLW: I agree with mostly all you mentioned except I wouldn't care about those who dropped. Comparing the above its more quality that quantity. The one's who have dropped the most are not as important to the rebuild and those that are have issues. AO hasn't dropped much (until lately). Petty, Suts, Clymes, Pots, and Heward are all guys that are not top guys in our rebuild. Based on $ and term only Pots is the biggest disappointment. IMHO Petty will rebound nexy year in the 3rd line role.
Pettinger could well rebound in a third-line role. His disappearing act is a concern but if the team as a whole is playing with more energy then that will rub off from the top line on down. More of a concern, as for as the younger players go, has to be Sutherby. He's now getting less than ten minutes ice-time so it's hard for me to imagine his game gaining much in the way of confidence in that role. The same goes for Eminger in regards to being scratched twice in a row but it's gotten to the point where you're ready to write him off anyway. When he's on his game he's only decent and, considering the numbers game (much like Sutherby), I see less and less of a role for him.

Pothier was a desperation move this past summer and this season bears that out. He shouldn't be put in the situations he's been put in and while he's mainly been a boost to their PK, he's been subpar on the PP as the season has worn on and has shown less and less offensive punch.

Let me clarify my first post: losing does not (in itself) set back a rebuild...a stasis or lack of progress in individual and collective development does. While tanking in the standings hasn't been fun to watch, seeing the team stall or regress in areas is even worse.

What we've seen over the course of the season, imo, is a regression of the team as a whole. While other teams have gelled and become more determined and crisp, this team has become passive, tentative and disorganized. Considering their current talent level, their recent play isn't a grave cause for concern but if, next year, they add in more talent (outside of Backstrom) and the result is equally as disappointing...then you've got a real dilemma on your hands. At that point, there would be valid substantial questions about the rebuild and the direction of the organization as a whole. This year was more or less written off when Backstrom decided to stay in Sweden. Next year is the year when things get interesting and the team will start to answer a lot of questions about itself and its direction.

Last edited by Langway: 02-19-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 02:24 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

is backstrom coming over for sure next year?

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote