HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster for next season...wide open

Old
02-19-2007, 02:43 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
is backstrom coming over for sure next year?
We are a team from Washington DC. If you say something enough it becomes FACT!

FACT 1: He is playing in Sweeden
FACT 2: I do not know what's inside his head.

All kidding aside. Its not like anything is official. It just wouldn't make any sense from a professional standpoint not to come over.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:17 AM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
is backstrom coming over for sure next year?
there's been at least one article (think it was tarik) recently that said the team's not worried, that he's committed to coming over next year.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey442 View Post
Eminger/Sutherby: Sigh, the amount of dissapointment between the two of these guys is really upsetting. I'd be ok moving both of them for I feel they need a change of scenary, but similiar to the Zubrus comment, a top-2-pair dman is a must in return for Eminger and a top center for Sutherby as well.
LOL, that will never happen. Your not going to get much value back for those guys. The best thing you are going to get for either of them is either a over priced vet who another team just wants to get off the books or picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by francklem View Post
what are the chances that Tomas Fleischmann and Eric Fehr to make the team ull time next year ?
Fleischmann will never be a full time Capital, Fehr is about 90% sure to be started next season.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:45 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

The team is better all around than last season. PK and PP are both improved. Overall record is improved...hopefully they can pull out of this funk and get back to .500

Finishing at .500 would be ideal for te overall aspect of things. They should make that the goal now that the playoffs are fading.

Rebuild is going as planned.

Playoffs next season...or Mafki is gone.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
The team is better all around than last season. PK and PP are both improved. Overall record is improved...hopefully they can pull out of this funk and get back to .500

Finishing at .500 would be ideal for te overall aspect of things. They should make that the goal now that the playoffs are fading.

The problem with this team is that they did not over achieve at all. Last season everyone was expected something so bad that even though the Caps still finished with the 4th worst total in the NHL almost everyone was still surprised they did that well.

This year that is not the case. Its not that they have played under their ability, they have played exactly to their ability.

As strung said the PK and PP are improved, still not good enough but improved. The team is on pace to have a better record and more points and has is also on pace to score more goals than they did last season while giving up less.

The reason why so many are so disappointed with this team is because peoples expectations were far to high. And I am telling everyone right now, those who expect the playoffs next year are also prob setting their sights to high.

If this team doesn't make the playoffs by 2008/09 season then we can all start to worry and expect McPhee and maybe even Hanlon to be gone. But this teams is still 2 years away.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:39 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I dont think simple losing would jeapordize Hanlon or McPhee's job, as we are in the middle of a rebuild and all but expected to lose. What would, however, is making changes to our play system and it hurting the team. Everyone will now question the coach, starting with the players. To me, AO and Semin are more important than Hanlon. Changing your best players - asking them to change their game and focus on defense or play the trap mid year, while continue losing and destroying what few positives and offense your team has, is a recipe for disaster - and changes. We had a mediocre season going, with a sniff of playoffs for a while there, and were very exciting to watch and selling tickets. Right? Our D got hurt and hurt our playoff run. Major changes are needed to our roster, not our style.

Tinker with your lines GH, but don't toss your playbook out the window. Or I will hope you get tossed.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:52 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
LOL, that will never happen. Your not going to get much value back for those guys. The best thing you are going to get for either of them is either a over priced vet who another team just wants to get off the books or picks.
I disagree with this. Eminger is still a quality asset as he's young (especially for a dman)and he might just need a change of scenery. Same with Sutherby. He's a guy who fans of other teams seem to covet (especially Canadian teams). Do I think either would garner a 1-2 dman in return? No...not unless there are some special circumstances around that player.

I don't however believe those two are going to return a salary dump vet as you've stated. I have a hard time believing McPhee would even consider such a move.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:54 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by francklem View Post
what are the chances that Tomas Fleischmann and Eric Fehr to make the team ull time next year ?
At this point Fehr would have to really screw up in training camp to not make the team.

Fleischmann is an enigma. Has he topped out as AHL talent?

If Zednick is gone, Fleischmann could make the team next season. He's what....not even 23 yet? Too early to write him off.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 02-19-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM
HockeyEh

Quote:

The Caps finished 14th of 15 teams in the Eastern Conference last year, and right now they stand 14th of 15 this season. That's progress? That's a plan?

Gawd. It looks even worse if you compare all the teams in the Eastern Conference ona CUMULATIVE basis since the lockout. The team the Caps were better than last year -- the Pens -- truly have rebuilt and progressed this year. The team the Caps are better than this year -- the Flyers -- seem to be suffering an aberrational down year after an excellent first season post-lockout. On a cumulative basis, the Caps are 15th of 15 teams in the East, worse than the Pens, worse than the Flyers, worse than everyone.

It takes a special kind of "faith" to believe that the Caps have the ownership and management to make the playoffs next year.

HockeyEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:09 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyEh View Post
The Caps finished 14th of 15 teams in the Eastern Conference last year, and right now they stand 14th of 15 this season. That's progress? That's a plan?

Gawd. It looks even worse if you compare all the teams in the Eastern Conference ona CUMULATIVE basis since the lockout. The team the Caps were better than last year -- the Pens -- truly have rebuilt and progressed this year. The team the Caps are better than this year -- the Flyers -- seem to be suffering an aberrational down year after an excellent first season post-lockout. On a cumulative basis, the Caps are 15th of 15 teams in the East, worse than the Pens, worse than the Flyers, worse than everyone.

It takes a special kind of "faith" to believe that the Caps have the ownership and management to make the playoffs next year.
Where were you when we were in a playoff spot in December? Eh? I must have missed your post about how well the team was doing back then.

It doesn't take a lot of smarts to look at an injury riddled team who was already VERY thin on talent and see why we started to slide.

Old
02-19-2007, 12:18 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:

What were you realistically expecting for the 2nd season of a rebuild?

The Pens are in what, year 5? More importantly the Pens are in year 2 AFTER opening up the checkbook and bringing in outside help.

As has been said, our PP and PK are both miles ahead of where they were last year. We're on pace for 6 more points than last year -and that's with a horrid stretch of injuries. .500 is still a very real possibility.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:25 PM
HockeyEh

Quote:

The reason why so many are so disappointed with this team is because peoples expectations were far to high. And I am telling everyone right now, those who expect the playoffs next year are also prob setting their sights to high.

If this team doesn't make the playoffs by 2008/09 season then we can all start to worry and expect McPhee and maybe even Hanlon to be gone. But this teams is still 2 years away.
The Caps were torn down in 2003/04. Even discounting the season lost to the lockout, five years is a long time to wait for a team to even make the playoffs, especially when more than half the teams in the NHL qualify each year and the salary cap was supposed to have brought NFL-style parity to hockey. So the five-year free pass that some Caps' fans evidently are willing to give Leonsis and McPhee amazes me.

I'm no fan of the Flyers, but I was impressed when Ed Snider told the media in the press conference snippets shown on HDNet the night Forsberg was traded that he didn't know the meaning of the word "rebuild."

Old
02-19-2007, 12:31 PM
HockeyEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Where were you when we were in a playoff spot in December? Eh? I must have missed your post about how well the team was doing back then.

It doesn't take a lot of smarts to look at an injury riddled team who was already VERY thin on talent and see why we started to slide.
Do you award medals in the marathon at the 13.1 mile mark?

The season is 82 games long. Where you stand in December is insignificant if you can't carry it through til April. Part of being a good team is A) being able to sustain performance over the ENTIRE season, and B) being able to overcome injuries/adversity.

Old
02-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Its really easy to sit here and say trade Sutherby. But what in the world does anyone expect to get back for him? He has become a 4th line center who can provide depth for the 3rd line and great leadership in the locker room. And he does so for a good price.

If this guy was a former 30 goal scorer who makes millions a year than I would agree with people. But trading this guy will bring in next to nothing in return, unless you just want another 3rd pairing defensman or 4th line winger .

I have felt all year that Pettinger's struggles have been because he has been asked to do to much. I think these last few games he has looked good since being paired with Gordon and Bradley, players who he fits in much better with.

Eminger is the only player on this team that I will change my stance on. I still don't think the Caps should move him, but being scratched two games in a row so guys like Heward can play doesn't look good. The only thing I can assume after these two games is that the org obviously doesn't like him as much as I thought he did and you have to think their is at least a 50/50 shot he gets moved this summer. But once again what do the Caps get back for him? Teams are going to look at the Caps and see that this player can't get a spot in the lineup that is made of 3rd pair defensman and offer what? a top 6 forward

Its very easy to say "this player is doing enough lets move him for someone that will". But IMO its is by far better to keep Sutherby and Pettinger than even consider moving them because you just not going to get anything back. Certainly not anyone who means as much to the locker room. Eminger may have some trade value, but that is going down every game he spends in the press box (see Jurcina for a 4th rd pick).
Answer me this then:

When do these players not performing...these top draft choices sitting in the press box...these high expectations becoming 4th liners.......when does that finally come down on the GM/coach?

Some of our top players aren't doing better now, they are doing worse. When is enough "enough"??

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:22 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm no fan of the Flyers, but I was impressed when Ed Snider told the media in the press conference snippets shown on HDNet the night Forsberg was traded that he didn't know the meaning of the word "rebuild."

That's called denial.

Old
02-19-2007, 01:27 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Do you award medals in the marathon at the 13.1 mile mark?

The season is 82 games long. Where you stand in December is insignificant if you can't carry it through til April. Part of being a good team is A) being able to sustain performance over the ENTIRE season, and B) being able to overcome injuries/adversity.
Of course not....I was simply asking if you were praising the team when they were doing good, or do you just come out to bash them when things go bad? I mean...I understand it's easier to bash but come on...

Part of being good as you intimated is having depth. Our depth is thin but developing.

Old
02-19-2007, 01:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Answer me this then:

When do these players not performing...these top draft choices sitting in the press box...these high expectations becoming 4th liners.......when does that finally come down on the GM/coach?

Some of our top players aren't doing better now, they are doing worse. When is enough "enough"??
Come on Rids....Is firing Hanlon/McPhee going to all of the sudden get Ovy scoring again, because that's what you're insinuating?! I mean...really....ponderous man....effing ponderous.

But to answer your question with a guess of my own....I think next year is make or break (for McPhee and Hanlon) and I would even go so far as to guess....that if this team tanks for the rest of the season...Hanlon could be gone in the offseason. One thing he's shown he's been good at is motivating the players....if that's gone, Hanlon is in trouble.

Old
02-19-2007, 01:36 PM
HockeyEh

Maybe it's denial. Or maybe it's a reflection that in a salary-capped NHL with wide-open free agency, it's possible not only to create a competitive team but a Stanley Cup champion immediately. Through astute trades and free agent signings, Carolina turned a 76 point/no playoffs team into a Stanley Cup champion in one season.

Old
02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
The Viking Fury

Back to roster talk...

Should the Caps make a play for Bertuzzi? Just an idea

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe it's denial. Or maybe it's a reflection that in a salary-capped NHL with wide-open free agency, it's possible not only to create a competitive team but a Stanley Cup champion immediately. Through astute trades and free agent signings, Carolina turned a 76 point/no playoffs team into a Stanley Cup champion in one season.

And this was done because Carolina went out and spent like crazy in free agency?

I can simply point to the Rangers as an example of a team who has tried to do that for what....12 years with no success and more often than not, didn't even make the playoffs.

Old
02-19-2007, 01:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Back to roster talk...

Should the Caps make a play for Bertuzzi? Just an idea
This is roster talk....I'll pass on a guy with back troubles, unless he's cheap.

Sutherby for Bertuzzi?

Old
02-19-2007, 01:47 PM
CapitalPunishment

Quote:

hanlon needs to go first.

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
This is roster talk....I'll pass on a guy with back troubles, unless he's cheap.

Sutherby for Bertuzzi?
Bertuzzi is an UFA this summer, but he'll get larger offers from other teams. No big loss, imo, with his injury concerns.

I'd rather they targeted a younger guy like Hartnell, but the market for him is going to be huge.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:57 PM
txpd

Quote:

I would tend to agree with all of this. BUT, its all predicated on them pulling out of this funk and getting back to .500. At .500 the season would be a success. Conversley if the do not pull out of the funk, I think it would stand as a failure.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 02:02 PM
HockeyEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalPunishment View Post
hanlon needs to go first.
That's how McPhee manages to hang on. McPhee is nothing if not skilled at throwing others under the bus when teams that he (McPhee) has built fail to perform. Whump! There goes Wilson. Whump! There goes Cassidy. Whump! There goes Jagr. Whump! Whump! Whump! There go Lang, Gonchar, and Nylander! Whump! Whump! Whump! There go Bondra, Witt, and Halpern.

Chris Clark should have though twice before he agreed to take the captaincy. Has anyone lasted more than a year or two since Oates?