HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Single Greatest NHL Season of All Time

Old
02-22-2007, 09:54 AM
blotsfan

vCash: 500
Im gonna go with Gretzkys 50 in 39 year.

blotsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2007, 02:37 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by blotsfan View Post
Im gonna go with Gretzkys 50 in 39 year.
I'd have to say Neely scoring 50 in 44 games was more impressive. He did all that on one leg and with a bad hip.... amazing.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 05:25 AM
Flames420

To me its Lemieux in 88-89 Stat wise, 199 points in 76 games playing with such elite superstar linemates such as Rob Brown. To pull off Gretzky-like stats playing on a team with nowhere near the talent or depth of the Oilers was amazing. 85 goals in 76 games moreorless on his own.

Flames420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Crosby87.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
The most impressive in my eyes is Mario Lemieux in 1993. Misses two months of the season recovering from cancer and still wins the scoring title with ease. 160 points in 60 games
That's disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I'd have to go with Gretz's 163 assist season...

In my mind, that is the most unbreakable record in the 4 major leagues (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB).
That's even more disgusting.

Crosby87.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames420 View Post
To me its Lemieux in 88-89 Stat wise, 199 points in 76 games playing with such elite superstar linemates such as Rob Brown. To pull off Gretzky-like stats playing on a team with nowhere near the talent or depth of the Oilers was amazing. 85 goals in 76 games moreorless on his own.
Considering Rob Brown still holds the WHL record with 212 points in one season, I think he had plenty of talent. Take a look at the mind-boggling numbers he put in in the AHL, the guy was not a post.

On the other hand, Gretzky put up 200+ point seasons with Dave Semenko on his left wing. You know, Semenko, the superstar that never topped 27 points in a season.

Trying to say players are great only because of the talent around them is complete foolishness.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Flames420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Considering Rob Brown still holds the WHL record with 212 points in one season, I think he had plenty of talent. Take a look at the mind-boggling numbers he put in in the AHL, the guy was not a post.

On the other hand, Gretzky put up 200+ point seasons with Dave Semenko on his left wing. You know, Semenko, the superstar that never topped 27 points in a season.

Trying to say players are great only because of the talent around them is complete foolishness.
Right. Rob Brown was awesome with 438 points in 543 games, truly not a post at all with his 2 good seasons being on a line with Mario. AHL stats? They mean nothing, let's talk NHL.

Gretzky played with Semenko, who yes never had many points but im sure he did enough making sure nobody did much to Wayne giving him all the open ice he needed. Yeah Gretz got a few hits on him in the 90's but in the 80's nobody did anything to him. Lemieux never had an enforcer, and made mediocore players such as Brown and Kevin Stevens look much better then they were without him.

Old
03-04-2007, 05:27 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Ken Morrow, won a improbable Gold Medal and then won a Stanley Cup with the Islanders, all in 1980.

I can't even imagine what that must have been like for him.

03-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Right. Rob Brown was awesome with 438 points in 543 games, truly not a post at all with his 2 good seasons being on a line with Mario. AHL stats? They mean nothing, let's talk NHL.

Gretzky played with Semenko, who yes never had many points but im sure he did enough making sure nobody did much to Wayne giving him all the open ice he needed. Yeah Gretz got a few hits on him in the 90's but in the 80's nobody did anything to him. Lemieux never had an enforcer, and made mediocore players such as Brown and Kevin Stevens look much better then they were without him.
Take a look at the careers of BJ MacDonald, Brett Callighen and Mike Krushelnyski with and without Gretzky.

NHL players scared to touch Gretzky. suuuuure. If a player is scared he is out of the league. You are grasping at straws.

You are obviously a Gretzky hater and will dispute any solid facts I present so, at this point, I will not pursue this discussion any further.

Playing with Semenko raised Gretzky's numbers but Lemieux was held back by playing with Brown. riiiiiiiiight.

Old
03-04-2007, 05:59 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
Ken Morrow, won a improbable Gold Medal and then won a Stanley Cup with the Islanders, all in 1980.

I can't even imagine what that must have been like for him.
That's awesome stuff.

I think the Gretz 163 assists is pretty

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Flames420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Take a look at the careers of BJ MacDonald, Brett Callighen and Mike Krushelnyski with and without Gretzky.

NHL players scared to touch Gretzky. suuuuure. If a player is scared he is out of the league. You are grasping at straws.

You are obviously a Gretzky hater and will dispute any solid facts I present so, at this point, I will not pursue this discussion any further.

Playing with Semenko raised Gretzky's numbers but Lemieux was held back by playing with Brown. riiiiiiiiight.
Nope not a Gretzky hater, almost 3000 points speaks for itself. What im saying is Rob Brown did nothing in the NHL when not playing with Mario, therefore 199 points in 76 games to me on that team was unbelievable. If anyone of Gretzkys many amazing accomplishments stands out to me if you're talking about a great player making not-so-good players better......Nicholls had 70 goals playing with Wayne and never reached 50 before that. His best previous total for points was 100, got 150 on a line with Wayne.

Old
03-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Nope not a Gretzky hater, almost 3000 points speaks for itself. What im saying is Rob Brown did nothing in the NHL when not playing with Mario, therefore 199 points in 76 games to me on that team was unbelievable. If anyone of Gretzkys many amazing accomplishments stands out to me if you're talking about a great player making not-so-good players better......Nicholls had 70 goals playing with Wayne and never reached 50 before that. His best previous total for points was 100, got 150 on a line with Wayne.
Fair enough but, what I am trying to say is that great players score no matter what team they are on, what linemates they have or what their circumstances are.

Gretzky broke the single-season scoring record in his second season on a bad Oilers team where the 2nd leading scorer had 75 points. He tied for the scoring lead as a rookie on an even worse Oilers team with Brett Callighen and BJ MacDonald on his wings.

MacDonald had 191 career NHL points - 94 of them were that one season playing with a rookie named Gretzky. Callighen had 145 career NHL points.

Lemieux scored 100 and 141 points in his first two years on a terrible Penguins team.

Dionne scored well over 100 points many times on a terrible Kings team.

My point being, the great players will put up huge numbers no matter who else is on their team. Gretzky would have scored 200 points whether he played for the Oilers or the Colorado Rockies. The reason he was so great is because of himself, not because of his teammates. How on earth could a rookie tie Dionne for the scoring lead (Gretz even played one less game than Dionne) unless he had amazing linemates like Callighen and MacDonald?

Old
03-04-2007, 09:06 PM
turnbuckle*

Joe Malone - 44 goals in 20 games.

Next.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Never under estimate the value of a BJ in the lockerroom.

03-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Stonefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Never under estimate the value of a BJ in the lockerroom.

Stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2007, 11:47 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Lemieux 93 season.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote