HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How did you become a Rangers fan?

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2003, 03:35 PM
LiquidClown

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
How did you become a Rangers fan?

Just curious as to how people became Rangers fans...........for those that haven't or don't live in New York I mean....

My reason is living in New Mexico you don't have much to choose from so I picked a team one year (93 I believe) and stuck with it.......

I'm only asking this because I wear my rangers jersey to school and people always ask me "You grew up in New Mexico how are you a Rangers fan?" So just curious...........

Old
12-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Went to the 93/94 playoffs as a little kid and fell in love with the team at game 7.

Old
12-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Burberry Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown
Just curious as to how people became Rangers fans...........for those that haven't or don't live in New York I mean....

My reason is living in New Mexico you don't have much to choose from so I picked a team one year (93 I believe) and stuck with it.......

I'm only asking this because I wear my rangers jersey to school and people always ask me "You grew up in New Mexico how are you a Rangers fan?" So just curious...........
I was in the 3rd grade, 1993, and my mother was working late so I went over to my friends', Micheal and Jordan's house in Little Silver, NJ. After playing outside for a while, we came inside and had a snack and began to unwind. Then we all went into the TV room and their father was sitting on the couch and watching a hockey game. I really knew nothing about the sport but by listening to the announcers I was able to pick up that the New York Rangers were playing a team called the New Jersey Devils. Then Jordan asked me who my favorite hockey team was so I looked up and the Rangers happened to be winning, I quickly replied that the Rangers were my favorite team. They said they loved the Rangers also. Now I never had any brothers or anything so my friends were the closest thing I had and naturally I took this as an oppurtunity to get a common bond with them. I started to watch every game and buy all of the team's merchandise and such. I was becomming a fan. Then a couple of weeks later my father picked me up for a day with him. My parents got divorced when I was young so I never really had a strong relationship with the ole' dad. But I mentioned something about a Ranger game I had seen and his eyes lighted up and he started telling me that he was a huge Ranger fan himself. Finally I found something that I could relate to with my father and we became closer because of it. From the day of seeing my first Ranger game at my friend's home, to this day on, I have lived and died for this New York Ranger team and I will continue to bleed blue.

Old
12-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Burberry Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa999
Sam and JD seduced me with their soothing voices.
They are very soothing, this much I know.

Old
12-04-2003, 04:41 PM
Jackson Ranger

My father was in the Air Force and after two years in Hawaii, we moved to McGuire AFB in southern NJ. My cousins were from Monmouth Beach NJ and turned me onto a new game for me, hockey. And after playing golf for two years, I naturally grabbed the stick right handed even though all of the other guys I played with were left handed. Had to go out and buy my own stick!

I'll get into how I started out really rooting for the Flyers (we picked up Channel 29 as well as Channel 9) later but quickly changed to the Rangers. BTW, my favorite Flyer was Bobby Clarke. And in case you didn't know when this took place, I'd say circa 1973.

Old
12-04-2003, 04:43 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Played hockey as a kid, even though I lived on LI I always thought the Rangers were cool, and the Isles were "gay." The first NHL game I went to was a Rangers/Pens game way back in 91. Loved the Rangers, and '93-'94 season further cemented my love for the team...

Old
12-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Mine is simple, i was around 5 or 6.. just simply turned on MSG and loved it.

Old
12-04-2003, 05:07 PM
Skroob*

went to my first hockey game in 92 with the Boy Scouts. Islanders vs. Vancouver, before i was even into hockey that much. I was hoping to see the Isles win, if only because they were the 'home' team.

Isles are up 3-0 (or something like that) after 2, then blew the lead in the 3rd and lost. After that i was like, screw these guys, i'll root for the rangers.

Old
12-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Hankenstein

1992 went to a Rangers Devils game with a friend I played hockey with. Apparently his dad was/is the guy who sets all the players up with home theaters/satellites ect... So needless to say he had great seats.

The Rangers won and after the game he was able to get us into the locker room to meet the players. I had a Rangers hat (that I bought at the game) and everyone signed it. Richter, Mess, Gartner, Turcotte, Kovie..it totally blew me away. Mes even took a few minutes and chatted with us, same with Richter. It was one of THE best expereinces of my life. Ever since then I live and breathe it.

Old
12-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Davisian

Getting to stay up late to watch games with my Dad in the mid/late '70's...

Learned to love the Rangers, and learned a few curses along the way..

Good times..

Old
12-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa999
Sam and JD seduced me with their soothing voices.
pasha's on a friggin ROLL today!

Old
12-05-2003, 06:06 AM
33teddy33

Send a message via ICQ to 33teddy33 Send a message via AIM to 33teddy33 Send a message via Yahoo to 33teddy33
was born into it.
Dad and Uncle John were serious Ranger fans. Raised in LI, played hockey, etc. etc. Never really into the Isles, except maybe Bossy, but never an Isles fan. Even through the Barry Beck years! LOL!

Old
12-05-2003, 07:29 AM
Fletch

Default New York fan...

until I starting watching the Raiders somehow. But started to get into hockey by collecting cards, then found channel 9 in the mid-70s, played a bit of street and floor hockey, and here I am.

Old
12-05-2003, 07:47 AM
ihatenewjersey

my earliest memory of watching hockey was the rangers in the cup in 94, and my neighbor who is a devils fan further boiled a hatred for the devils and love for the rangers, i have only been religiously watching for 2 seasons

Old
12-05-2003, 07:47 AM
Larry Melnyk

By accideny. A Queens boy in the late 60's, nothing could stop me from watching wrestling with my main men Bobo Brazil, Bruno Sammartino, Sky Low-Low etc.. on the UHF Spanish-speaking channel (47??) on Saturday evenings... It ended around 8 PM...Then I would switch to WOR-9 for the games against the Canadiens, Leafs and Redwings and got hooked easily...Didn't hurt that my Uncle (you probably saw him portrayed in Good Fellas!) arranged for me and my cousins to meet Rod Gilbert -the greatest Ranger of all time--and that was all she wrote....

Old
12-05-2003, 07:55 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Can't say it was handed down as my grandfather was a Canadiens fan (Richard and all of those greats were guys he loved watching) My father was a Blackhawks fan, big Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita fan.

Around 75-76 I had to go christmas shopping with my mother and saw a Rangers jersey that I liked, one of those generic brand name jerseys and told my mother that i wanted that, but with the very very limited funds we had back then that wasn't going to happen, so I took the five finger discount and gave myself a christmas present.

Needless to say when I opened my gift to me and my mother saw it, I got a christmas day asswhoppin.

In my opinion it was well worth it and I have been a fan ever since.

Old
12-05-2003, 08:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

In the late 1970's watching the Rangers as a kindergartener/first grader.My first recollection was listening to Jim Gordon and The Big Whistle Bill Chadwick and Chadwick would bark out "young Greschner" on WOR Channel 9.

Went to my first Rangers game in December 1984 and caught a puck which deflected off of Willie Huber.The only time Huber blocked a shot in his career.

My dad was a big Ranger fan and my uncle loved Walter Tkachuk and Steve Vickers.

The first Ranger team I remember had Phil Esposito,Dave and Don Maloney,Pat Hickey,Mike McEwen,John Davidson,Wayne Thomas,Steve Baker,Anders Hedberg,Ulf Nilsson,Eddie Johnstone,Donny Spoon Murdoch,Ron Duguay,Nicky Fotiu,Lucien Deblois,Carol Vadnais,Ron Greschner,Tkachuk and Vickers.

BTW,POTVIN SUCKS and BEAT YOUR WIFE POTVIN!!!

The blue seaters put out a record Beat Your Wife Potvin which they sold at the Garden.I still have my copy.

Old
12-05-2003, 08:09 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
My father and grandfather were fans. My father introduced her to the Rangers and she became a fan. They went to games when she was pregnant and I used to kick a lot during the games.

I went to my first game when I was 4 (a playoff game against the Kings).

12-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Terryble

In the late 80's I was in h.s. and a couple guys were arguing hockey....which team was better type stuff...they looked over at me and asked what team did I like....not knowing much about hockey but living in NJ I said "Devils". They said something along the lines of "You aren't a Devils fan...name 3 players on the Devils." That's why I don't like the Devils...plus I think in order to watch Debs games back then you had to pay for Sportschannel....

In the early 90's, I would come home at night from hanging out and partying etc. and hit the kitchen for a late night snack, trying not to wake the parents and I would switch the TV on and see the Rangers Rewind on....that's when I got hooked.

After a couple years, we went on to win the Cup. I remember back to the 94 season and remember going to my buddy's house every night the Rags played with a 6-pack to watch it. Winning the Cup seemed so huge at the time but looking back 10 years to it now, I dont think I even realized how huge it would still be 10 years later.

Old
12-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Getting to stay up late to watch games with my Dad in the mid/late '70's...

Learned to love the Rangers, and learned a few curses along the way..

Good times..

Ditto.

Man, those Chadwick/Gordon play by plays were great. Chadwick would always mess up last names, imagine if he was around today with the Euro names :p

Old
12-05-2003, 10:02 AM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
Mine is simple, i was around 5 or 6.. just simply turned on MSG and loved it.
My story is about the same at the time they were the team that in my area that was on the most. MSG was all I got for hockey coverage.

Old
12-05-2003, 10:07 AM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding blue
I was in the 3rd grade, 1993, and my mother was working late so I went over to my friends', Micheal and Jordan's house in Little Silver, NJ. After playing outside for a while, we came inside and had a snack and began to unwind. Then we all went into the TV room and their father was sitting on the couch and watching a hockey game. I really knew nothing about the sport but by listening to the announcers I was able to pick up that the New York Rangers were playing a team called the New Jersey Devils. Then Jordan asked me who my favorite hockey team was so I looked up and the Rangers happened to be winning, I quickly replied that the Rangers were my favorite team. They said they loved the Rangers also. Now I never had any brothers or anything so my friends were the closest thing I had and naturally I took this as an oppurtunity to get a common bond with them. I started to watch every game and buy all of the team's merchandise and such. I was becomming a fan. Then a couple of weeks later my father picked me up for a day with him. My parents got divorced when I was young so I never really had a strong relationship with the ole' dad. But I mentioned something about a Ranger game I had seen and his eyes lighted up and he started telling me that he was a huge Ranger fan himself. Finally I found something that I could relate to with my father and we became closer because of it. From the day of seeing my first Ranger game at my friend's home, to this day on, I have lived and died for this New York Ranger team and I will continue to bleed blue.
If I was to grade these you would have to get an A+. Great story

Old
12-05-2003, 12:40 PM
rangers

Went to Florida back in 1991 and got myself a Rangers cap. I didn`t follow the NHL close back then so I had no idea who won or anything, but I used to be the Rangers at those NHL 95/96/97 games. Suddenly 3 years ago I got completely hooked and I`ve been trying to follow the team pretty close from that time on. Hockey isn`t exactly sport #1 here in Norway, but luckily there was the internet. Lately they`ve started to send a Rangers game now and then on TV here so that`s a start. Games are usually on in the middle of the night here so it`s not like I could have been sitting up watching all the games had they shown them anyways...

Last year I decided enough was enough and went to NYC to catch a Rangers game (Rags - Isles Nov 23 2002). We lost 3-1 but what the heck...great experience, great city. I actually liked it so much in NYC that I decided to go back there earlier this season as well. Got to catch 2 games (Big thanks to JR#9) Rangers - Carolina 4-1 and Rangers - Avs 2-3. Hopefully I can continue the tradition and come over once each season to catch some games!

Those of you who live in NYC. Consider yourself lucky to pay only $40 pr ticket. I have to pay something like $700 (plain and stay included). It`s worth it though!

Old
12-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Daisy

I saw my first hockey game on tv during the 92 Olympics and I loved it! So that summer, I decided that I would start watching hockey regularly, but first I needed a team. So living in Upstate NY, I decided to root for a New York team. I couldn't choose between the Islanders and Rangers so I watched them both, but I always had a soft spot for the Rangers. So when the Isles beat the Rangers to end their 16 (?) game unbeaten streak, I dumped the Isles and became strictly a Rangers fan. I have been watching the Rangers faithfully ever since.

Old
12-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers
Went to Florida back in 1991 and got myself a Rangers cap. I didn`t follow the NHL close back then so I had no idea who won or anything, but I used to be the Rangers at those NHL 95/96/97 games. Suddenly 3 years ago I got completely hooked and I`ve been trying to follow the team pretty close from that time on. Hockey isn`t exactly sport #1 here in Norway, but luckily there was the internet. Lately they`ve started to send a Rangers game now and then on TV here so that`s a start. Games are usually on in the middle of the night here so it`s not like I could have been sitting up watching all the games had they shown them anyways...

Last year I decided enough was enough and went to NYC to catch a Rangers game (Rags - Isles Nov 23 2002). We lost 3-1 but what the heck...great experience, great city. I actually liked it so much in NYC that I decided to go back there earlier this season as well. Got to catch 2 games (Big thanks to JR#9) Rangers - Carolina 4-1 and Rangers - Avs 2-3. Hopefully I can continue the tradition and come over once each season to catch some games!

Those of you who live in NYC. Consider yourself lucky to pay only $40 pr ticket. I have to pay something like $700 (plain and stay included). It`s worth it though!
I think this is kind of a typical story for a europe Rangers (or NHL in general) fan. Mine is nearly the same: Started with EA's NHL 94 / 95 (don't know exactly) and noticed the first players: Mess and Leetch.
It really hooked me when I got the internet and back in 97 I've been to two games at MSG: vs. OTT & vs. MTL (both losses but I saw a nice Leetch goal and #99 play ).
As I don't have some 700$ at the moment it'll take a while till I can watch my next game live...

Closed Thread