HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

French canadian players

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2007, 08:07 PM
paddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Ribeiro wasn't lazy, at least not on the ice, and outside of the ice he can make babies with barn animals i don't care...

Btw he leads Dallas' fowards both in points (except Nagy) and +/-. If he was named John Smith (or Michael Ryder), he would still be playing in Montreal.
How good or bad Ribeiro is is not the point. He doesn't give more effort playing in Montreal or in Dallas. It's not because he was in Montreal that he was going to give that extra 10%.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:13 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Ribeiro wasn't lazy, at least not on the ice, and outside of the ice he can make babies with barn animals i don't care...

Btw he leads Dallas' fowards both in points (except Nagy) and +/-. If he was named John Smith (or Michael Ryder), he would still be playing in Montreal.
You really believe Bob Gainey traded Ribeiro because of his name or nationallity?

Old
02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
You really believe Bob Gainey traded Ribeiro because of his name or nationallity?
I believe people hating him becase of it. No idea why Gainey traded him for Niinimaa thought...

Old
02-19-2007, 08:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I believe people hating him becase of it. No idea why Gainey traded him for Niinimaa thought...
Yes I believe that too but you said if his name was Smith he would still be here. So do you think Gainey traded him cause some fans hated him?

Old
02-19-2007, 08:32 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Because if we had what one or two more defensemen injured we would have had Patrick Traverse on the ice at the start of the season. Looking back now it wasn't a good trade but at the time he had to get a defensemen and Ribeiro's value clearly wasn't very high.

And Gainey would not trade players because some fans don't like them. He didn't trade Brisebois when he was getting booed. He criticized the people who booed him. And Ribeiro was far from being as disliked as Brisebois.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:32 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
What do people have against the Portuguese?

Old
02-19-2007, 10:03 PM
milou

All the french player are bad players

Even Koivu sucks since he said few words in french during an interview

Old
02-19-2007, 10:13 PM
Teufelsdreck

Unfortunately, the French-Canadian players are not the elite in ability on le Canadien. This was not true in the past. Ironically, the best French-Canadian player among today's Habs is no longer able to play. His name is Guy Carbonneau.

Old
02-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
What do people have against the Portuguese?
They disappear in the playoffs.

Old
02-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Maddas*

I would just like to go on record and say I love Mike Ribeiro.

Old
02-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Yes but Ribeiro, Theodore and Dagenais weren't TRUE Quebecers.

Ribeiro is Portuguese, Theodore is Greek and Dagenais is ugly. They don't count.

Ribeiro Theodore and Dagenais are all Quebecois. It's a fact. They lived all their life here and Quebec is a nation. Even if they were newly arrived immigrants they would be quebecois.

Quote:
This is a moot point. Alot of people hate Koivu because he isn't french-Canadian and we still have him on the team.
Quote:
Yes I know. Just like nobody hates Boullion or Dandenault or whoever because they ARE french-Canadian.
wow, so basically French canadians are bigots but not a single english is????

Really funny coming from the worst racist on the board.

Old
02-19-2007, 11:55 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Today 12:49 AM
Beatnik
He knows I put him on ignore, but I bet he's still dissing me.

I'm English, dude, and I live in Quebec. Get over it. I'm not going to eat your babies.

Old
02-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
It's a good idea. Bringing more french Canadian; or simply Canadians, at least, is the better thing to do to the team here. Generaly people prefer theses kind of players and players identify themselves to the team. It would be a good initiative.
That is precisely my thought. I would also extend to New England, as I heard that there is (or use to be) a fan base there too.

Old
02-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:

I'm English, dude, and I live in Quebec. Get over it.
I never had any problem with that, English people are a great part of our nation. My problem is that you are a racist, who's allow to spread his hate on here.

Old
02-20-2007, 12:59 AM
marvelousmotion

I don't think that Gainey should try to get more "French Canadians" but I do think adding more North Americans would not hurt this team at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind having European players as some of them do play hard too.. but thing is a lot of them are floaters and do not play as hard as they could in the NHL, which is frustrating to watch. North American skaters do play this game with more heart and passion.

Old
02-20-2007, 06:47 AM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Why is it that some people in this province ALWAYS bring out a player's nationality in this day and age? Do Toronto fans and reporters always ask for Ontario-born players? What about Edmonton, Calgary or Vancouver? WHy is it that some people always look at nationality/origins? In this day and age, you shouldn't even care where a player/person is from. Take the person for who they are, and judge them on their own merits.

Saying that french-canadians want to give more effort because they play in their hometown is just another poor excuse to bring politics in the debate. Ever heard of Mike Ribeiro?
Yes. Don Cherry every Saturday night. And like it or not whenever this redneck debate gets started (not enuf french canadians or players from PQ or whatever the PC slang is for today) its by people who use the same "reasoning" Cherry employs.
Masking bigotry with patriotism.

Old
02-20-2007, 07:05 AM
BadHabit

This thread is ridiculous.

No one can definitively prove that French Canadians would play harder for the Habs than any other team. End of subject. You can give me a list of 300 pre-1990's era French Canadian players who were great, but the whole mentality of players today has changed and it proves nothing. Most players today are greedy, concerned with status (I make more money than you), and want to play with a contender. They get pissed off when they are benched instead of playing harder. They are simply not the same character of the proud and low paid superstars of yesterday. And this is not just French Canadians, but most of the hockey players today. On occasion you find a few players that play for the love of the game and give it their all every night, but that has nothing to do with where they were born - it has to do with their own values and how they were raised.

Close this topic please, no more needs to be said.

Old
02-20-2007, 07:13 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
Yes. Don Cherry every Saturday night. And like it or not whenever this redneck debate gets started (not enuf french canadians or players from PQ or whatever the PC slang is for today) its by people who use the same "reasoning" Cherry employs.
Masking bigotry with patriotism.
I think we jump to racism too easily. If Pednault praise Latendresse too easily, we knowingly smile to ourselves, but in truth, the local boy story is of more interest.

It was always nice to have the 'next one' on the horizon and because of the sheer volume of the media, the story takes on a life of its own. Then you get the absolute stupidity of fans not liking a kid, because the media promotes him.

I'm an anglophone, but have always loved the legend intertwining Quebec and the team. Yes, I'm aware of Doug Harvey and Dickie Moore, but the people of Quebec have always identified with the team. That can't be a bad thing on its own, but it can be in today's league when it seems forced, in a league with a different cultural landscape.
So, yeah, I love to see a healthy % of local representation. Yes, I think highly enough of the people of Quebec that if Patrick McGee raised in Pte.St.Charles makes the team, he will be received warmly.

That wasn't the thread issue though. Henri believes that signing French Canadian players would somehow ensure a greater effort. I don't see that as being the case. Players are professionals and do what they can to ensure their careers. A player like Begin, a marginal talent with an above average heart has seized an opportunity here, and consequently has gotten some security for his family. Great story. His talent coincided with the team's needs though. Begin would've busted his butt anywhere given the chance. Ribeiro this year is exactly what he's always been. I don't see more or less effort. I'd love to see Gagne here, but do you think he'd be a better Hab than a Flyer ?

Old
02-20-2007, 07:56 AM
milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think we jump to racism too easily. If Pednault praise Latendresse too easily, we knowingly smile to ourselves, but in truth, the local boy story is of more interest.

It was always nice to have the 'next one' on the horizon and because of the sheer volume of the media, the story takes on a life of its own. Then you get the absolute stupidity of fans not liking a kid, because the media promotes him.

I'm an anglophone, but have always loved the legend intertwining Quebec and the team. Yes, I'm aware of Doug Harvey and Dickie Moore, but the people of Quebec have always identified with the team. That can't be a bad thing on its own, but it can be in today's league when it seems forced, in a league with a different cultural landscape.
So, yeah, I love to see a healthy % of local representation. Yes, I think highly enough of the people of Quebec that if Patrick McGee raised in Pte.St.Charles makes the team, he will be received warmly.

That wasn't the thread issue though. Henri believes that signing French Canadian players would somehow ensure a greater effort. I don't see that as being the case. Players are professionals and do what they can to ensure their careers. A player like Begin, a marginal talent with an above average heart has seized an opportunity here, and consequently has gotten some security for his family. Great story. His talent coincided with the team's needs though. Begin would've busted his butt anywhere given the chance. Ribeiro this year is exactly what he's always been. I don't see more or less effort. I'd love to see Gagne here, but do you think he'd be a better Hab than a Flyer ?
Good post McPhee ! I see that you change your avatar ; do you get some troubles here , so you try to be anonymus ?

Old
02-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by milou View Post
Good post McPhee ! I see that you change your avatar ; do you get some troubles here , so you try to be anonymus ?
With a name like Milou, I can understand why you like his avatar

Old
02-20-2007, 08:07 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by milou View Post
I thought I should honor my jumeaux.

Old
02-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I thought I should honor my jumeaux.
At least he's not cross-eyed.
BTW, un jumeau, des jumeaux. Just like Joé Juneau, les frères Juneaux; Jean Béliveau, les frères Béliveaux, etc. etc.

Old
02-20-2007, 08:15 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
At least he's not cross-eyed.
BTW, un jumeau, des jumeaux. Just like Joé Juneau, les frères Juneaux; Jean Béliveau, les frères Béliveaux, etc. etc.
He said my jumeaux.

Which works... why you be hatin'

Old
02-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AymanD View Post
He said my jumeaux.

Which works... why you be hatin'
You can only have one twin, no? I ain't no hatin', just misbehavin'.

Old
02-20-2007, 08:21 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
You can only have one twin, no? I ain't no hatin', just misbehavin'.
Well... unless the picture is there as a metaphor in honour of his twins. (boobs)

Closed Thread