HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Streit-Souray, a duo that works.

Old
02-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Streit-Souray, a duo that works.

For the last 6 or so games, the Streit - Souray duo has looked very solid. They're + 2 in the last 2 games, and they are even together during that tenure. Has Souray finally found a partner he's suitable with? I've always thought that Streit was our second best defensive minded defenceman (behind Markov of course), I guess all he was missing was a punishing defenceman to his left All this to say that I hope that this Duo stays together for a long time, and that maybe we don't need Rivet.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:10 AM
AH

Last year when Streit came over, he said he has always played right D. So what did the Habs do? Put him on left D which made his adjustment to the NHL even tougher.

I agree that Streit should be playing D due to his puck moving abilities. But long term he is not a top 4. Some will argue that neither is Souray, so maybe that's why it works in the short term.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:12 AM
GoHabsGO252006

I was thinking along similar lines of late, as to how well Streit has been playing on D. He continues to impress me, whether it's at forward or on D, he has the odd stumble but has adapted even more than last year and has been playing very well on D. This also helps the team as he has a very accurate first pass out of the zone.

Which also lead me to think that I'm not sure who Rivet will take out when he comes back and that it's time we put Niinimaa on waivers.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:14 PM
znk

I did not notice this.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:18 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Streit never looks bad ... but then again so did Dykhuis for a while ...

The only thing with streit is that he is an international Caliber player

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, I commented previously that I thought it was a duo that made think that a duo like that could work. Just not with Streit. But a player like Streit, who can move the puck and be agile, yet isn't quite so prone to errors in his own zone.

Finding the perfect partner for Souray is one of my grail quests for improving the team. It's not Rivet and it's not Komisarek, that much we now know. Somebody smooth and smart would be my target. Barring that, just somebody rock solid and dependable. Rivet has been one of my favourites for a long time, but he has pretty much played his way out of the $3M offer he had coming. If we're keeping Markov and Souray, I'd like to see that $3M(+or-) pinned on the "perfect solution" defense partner for Souray.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Reuben

I like Streit he is a very versatile player, he's done a decent job, no matter what role he's been put in. I've never even heard him complain once either, seems like a team first guy.

Ya Streit and Souray looked pretty good in there own end of late, considering they are probably not used to playing with each other unless they do in practice.

Ideally Souray should be paired with a righthanded defenceman, playing the right side. it used to be Rivet's job, but with the way he's played this year im glad it's not anymore.

Finding right handed defenceman who can make good outlets passes
while playing good defence, are very hard to find imo.

If we could clone Komisarek or get another guy like him to play on Souray rightside, I'd settle for that.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
I like Streit he is a very versatile player, he's done a decent job, no matter what role he's been put in. I've never even heard him complain once either, seems like a team first guy.

Ya Streit and Souray looked pretty good in there own end of late, considering they are probably not used to playing with each other unless they do in practice.

Ideally Souray should be paired with a righthanded defenceman, playing the right side. it used to be Rivet's job, but with the way he's played this year im glad it's not anymore.

Finding right handed defenceman who can make good outlets passes
while playing good defence, are very hard to find imo.

If we could clone Komisarek or get another guy like him to play on Souray rightside, I'd settle for that.
Komisarek and Souray look absolutely dreadful together.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, I commented previously that I thought it was a duo that made think that a duo like that could work. Just not with Streit. But a player like Streit, who can move the puck and be agile, yet isn't quite so prone to errors in his own zone.

Finding the perfect partner for Souray is one of my grail quests for improving the team. It's not Rivet and it's not Komisarek, that much we now know. Somebody smooth and smart would be my target. Barring that, just somebody rock solid and dependable. Rivet has been one of my favourites for a long time, but he has pretty much played his way out of the $3M offer he had coming. If we're keeping Markov and Souray, I'd like to see that $3M(+or-) pinned on the "perfect solution" defense partner for Souray.
For some odd reason I always thought Sami Salo would be a good fit to play alongside Souray. I like his defensive and transition game. He seems to have a high panick treshold. I think he becomes a UFA this summer too.

Boyle also comes to mind, though that would need to happen via a trade.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:54 PM
guest1467

I thought he was Montreal's best defensemen on Saturday. Won quite a few 50-50 battles and jumped in the play a few times. And that play on the blue line was really nerve racking but very nice.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Komisarek and Souray look absolutely dreadful together.

I've rarely seen them play together 5 on 5 if at all, anyhow i totally happy with the Markov/Komisarek pairing. I also said if we had another guy like Komisarek or we could clone him.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:14 PM
nilan30

I didn't watch the Blue Jackets game last night but the radio guys made it sound like Souray made some real nice defensive plays on 1 - on - 1battles. (ie stripping the puck, keeping guys outside) I really think he's defensive play hasn't been as bad as many think this year or his +/- would indicate.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Last year when Streit came over, he said he has always played right D. So what did the Habs do? Put him on left D which made his adjustment to the NHL even tougher.

I agree that Streit should be playing D due to his puck moving abilities. But long term he is not a top 4. Some will argue that neither is Souray, so maybe that's why it works in the short term.
Please explain how you arrive at that conclusion. It doesn't follow from what you said just before it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 06:49 PM
LamborGREENie

As I have always said:

Passing + Shooting= Scoring

LamborGREENie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 06:59 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
For the last 6 or so games, the Streit - Souray duo has looked very solid. They're + 2 in the last 2 games, and they are even together during that tenure. Has Souray finally found a partner he's suitable with? I've always thought that Streit was our second best defensive minded defenceman (behind Markov of course), I guess all he was missing was a punishing defenceman to his left All this to say that I hope that this Duo stays together for a long time, and that maybe we don't need Rivet.
We don't need Rivet, but what to do with him ? Who wants him around the league. can we get at least a 2nd or 3rd draft pick for him ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

It's normal that Streit looks great with Souray. Souray needs a defenceman who can skate well in order to be succesfull. Rivet is too slow and does not have enough passing skills when united with Souray.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:16 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
It's normal that Streit looks great with Souray. Souray needs a defenceman who can skate well in order to be succesfull. Rivet is too slow and does not have enough passing skills when united with Souray.
If Rivet stays, can Carbo put him back with Markov ?

Old
02-19-2007, 09:18 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I think Rivet will be gone as soon as he's back. Koivu might not like it, but he's turning into the odd man out.

02-19-2007, 09:21 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I think Rivet will be gone as soon as he's back. Koivu might not like it, but he's turning into the odd man out.
...and if Koivu doesn't like it, what's gonna happen ? He will go back for another 20 game goal-less games ?

Old
02-19-2007, 09:23 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canindian View Post
...and if Koivu doesn't like it, what's gonna happen ? He will go back for another 20 game goal-less games ?
Well, we should certainly avoid that. lol.

I'm just referring to the reported friendship between Rivet and Koivu... though I would hope that they would understand that business decisions must be made.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:27 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Well, we should certainly avoid that. lol.

I'm just referring to the reported friendship between Rivet and Koivu... though I would hope that they would understand that business decisions must be made.
They are more than friends, they are siamese twin brothers. If they are separated, I dunno if they can survive.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:28 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canindian View Post
They are more than friends, they are siamese twin brothers. If they are separated, I dunno if they can survive.
I'm not against re-signing Rivet in the offseason if he comes cheaply... and we move one of Bouillon or Dandenault.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote