HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Happy with a split?

Old
02-19-2007, 11:14 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Happy with a split?

Here are the next 5 games:

2/20 - Devils
2/22 - Devils
2/24 - Blue Jackets
2/27 - Montreal
3/1 - Pittsburgh

My thinking is the Rangers can only lose 9 more times this season if they want to get to the playoffs, maybe 8. With 23 games remaining thats going somewhere in the neighborhood of 14-9.

Basically in the next 5 games if the Rangers lose 3, they are pretty much shot, cause theyd have to go 12-6 the rest of the way. If they lose only 1, its going 10-8. A very big 5 games indeed.

So heres my question - Would you sign up with a split for the home and home with Devils?

Of course the Rangers need to win every game they can, so I wouldnt. I heard some of my Ranger fan friends talking about being happy with a split this week so i wanted to see what everyone thinks.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 02-19-2007 at 11:25 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:17 AM
bathgate

The Rangers need to win all the home games, no ifs ands or buts. Thus four out of five is required in some way.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

I'd say we can go 3-2. Losses to NJ and PITT. The only MUST win to me is Montreal. Columbus should be money in the bag as far as I'm concerned.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:18 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Here are the next 5 games:

2/20 - Devils
2/22 - Devils
2/24 - Blue Jackets
2/27 - Montreal
3/1 - Pittsburgh

Would you sign up with a split for the home and home with Devils?
I think you'd have to sign off on a split of the home and home right now.

They should beat Columbus and the Habs.

02-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Fish

Never happy with losing, but I'll take the two points if the Rangers can get them

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:22 AM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think you'd have to sign off on a split of the home and home right now.

The Rangers also need to beat the Pens. IMO, to legitimately have a chance, they need 10 out of 12 points on the homestand. Anything less is a disaster for making the playoffs

Old
02-19-2007, 11:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathgate View Post
The Rangers also need to beat the Pens. IMO, to legitimately have a chance, they need 10 out of 12 points on the homestand. Anything less is a disaster for making the playoffs
I agree. And I'm interested to see how this team with Avery and Dupuis would do matched up against the Pens.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:24 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Even losing 9 the rest of the way only gives the Rangers 91 points.

And thats if the rest are all regulation wins. So it might be closer to only 8 losses left to get to 93 points.

What im getting at is the Devils could really knock them down with a sweep this week.

Old
02-19-2007, 11:26 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

They shouldve beaten the Flyers too.

Old
02-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Pizza

To be honest I think the Rangers might need as many as 94-96 points to make it.

3 points against the Debs would be a very nice start. New Jersey will be going for the jugular. Marty would like nothing more than to knock the Rangers out of it.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Melrose_Jr.

If you're happy with a split, are you happy with (2) OT/SO losses? Net point haul is the same, and it really doesn't matter to us how many points the Devils pile up.

I don't think you can put to much pressure on the games against the Devils. Those games against the Pens and Habs are games you want to prevent your opponent from getting points in, first and foremost. Looking ahead, there's a lot more critical games against fellow bubble teams that are more critical to win in regulation. These final 2 meetings against NJ are probably the toughest games they have to play the rest of the way. If they walk out with no points, it won't be the end of the playoff run, nor should it be much of a surprise.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:09 PM
bathgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
If you're happy with a split, are you happy with (2) OT/SO losses? Net point haul is the same, and it really doesn't matter to us how many points the Devils pile up.

I don't think you can put to much pressure on the games against the Devils. Those games against the Pens and Habs are games you want to prevent your opponent from getting points in, first and foremost. Looking ahead, there's a lot more critical games against fellow bubble teams that are more critical to win in regulation. These final 2 meetings against NJ are probably the toughest games they have to play the rest of the way. If they walk out with no points, it won't be the end of the playoff run, nor should it be much of a surprise.
However, does it impact whether you become a seller or buyer?

Old
02-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
However, does it impact whether you become a seller or buyer?
Has the buying not already begun?

Old
02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
bathgate

Quote:
Has the buying not already begun?
No. If you buy Maloney's argument,Avery brings long term value to the Rangers. So, according to Maloney, it is not a buy but adding another future piece to the puzzle. Dupuis for Hall was a trade of underachievers. Now I ask you, lose two to the Devs, does that influence your decision making or do you hold to the status quo? My position has been widely known for several months. However,I'm always eager to hear from my counterparts

Old
02-19-2007, 12:46 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
No. If you buy Maloney's argument,Avery brings long term value to the Rangers. So, according to Maloney, it is not a buy but adding another future piece to the puzzle. Dupuis for Hall was a trade of underachievers. Now I ask you, lose two to the Devs, does that influence your decision making or do you hold to the status quo? My position has been widely known for several months. However,I'm always eager to hear from my counterparts
I think you gotta hold or look to improve without making huge trades. There is still plenty of season left after those 2 games to keep reaching for that playoff spot. I don't see the Devils sweeping us those 2 games. In fact, I'm of the opinion Marty is gonna lay an egg in one of the 2 and make it easy for us at least 1 game. The Devils have played solid hockey this season.....that said, I still think alot of folks overrate them.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:52 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Vs the Devils? Happy with a split, hoping for at least 3.

As much as this may not appeal to some people, I would gladly swap a win vs Pitt or Mon instead of a win vs CBJ.

Winning every game is necessary, but beating the teams ahead of the Rangers is critical (although the Pens appear to be pulling away).

02-19-2007, 12:54 PM
kovalev27hf

the detroit loss and philly loss really hurt those should have been 4 pts no question. imo the rangers have got to get a split with the debbies then definitely win the columbus and montreal games. 3 and 2 isnt terrible but imo it won't really help them leap frog anyone. they really need to go 4-1 in the next five.

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:54 PM
JRGNYR

I think 8 out of the next 10 points is necessary. I could care less how the Rangers achieve that. This is a team that plays up to their competition, so I could see them playing the Devils, Canadiens, and Pens tough and laying an egg against Columbus.

As for big trades, I don't think the Rangers are realistically in any position to make such a deal, although with Shanny out, it seems as though they would probably be more interested in Guerin or Tkachuk. Anyway, get 8 of the next 10 and let's see where they are.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:01 PM
DutchShamrock

With the big injuries currently hampering the Devils, you need to take more than 2 points out of this series. Yes Shanny is a blow to the Rangers, but there's no room for excuses.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:03 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Nope, not happy with a split versus the Devils.

We'll do our share to help the Devils by thumping the Pens. I would hope the Devils would be so kind as to lose both games to us.

Ah what the hell, just let us win two overtimes or shootouts against the Devils and they still come away with two points.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Now I ask you, lose two to the Devs, does that influence your decision making or do you hold to the status quo?
Mine? No. I don't have high expectations for those games, but their signifigance in terms of whther or not the Rangers make the playoffs is pretty low compared to the games they will play in March.

Call the last 2 trades what you want, but IMO, they were lineup tweaks with the intention of improving the team today. Anyone with any value to the team isn't going to be sold regardless of their potential future returns.

Old
02-19-2007, 01:19 PM
bathgate

Quote:
Mine? No. I don't have high expectations for those games, but their signifigance in terms of whther or not the Rangers make the playoffs is pretty low compared to the games they will play in March.

Call the last 2 trades what you want, but IMO, they were lineup tweaks with the intention of improving the team today. Anyone with any value to the team isn't going to be sold regardless of their potential future returns.
Regrettably, you are probably correct. However, I'd like to accumulate some picks in this year's draft.

Old
02-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Ola

I am not happy with a split, or atleast I wouldn't have been if we had Shanahan. Hard to predict how we will look without him...

Though, we were the better team last time against NJD. Last season, while not winning them all, we played much better then NJD did in the regularseason, we played the majority of games against them when we were hot though, but anyway.

Anyway, most looses against NJD have come after we have lost the game, not them winning em. Our style actually works really well against a team like NJD. This is a team that we should be able to win on a regular basis against. I don't think its acceptlble that we keep giving away pts against them because we are weak mentally, got so much respect for them or whatever.

This is as good time as ever to kill that ghost.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Block More Shots

I'd take a split. Four points would be tough to get out of the Devils. 3 would be great.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:45 PM
broadwayblue

I'd accept a split...but would be really happy with 3 pts. But let's worry about the first game first.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote