HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The end for Markov???

Old
02-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Doc Hock

vCash: 500
The end for Markov???

I find it quite interesting that Gainey & Co. have not mentioned Markov and their desire to re-sign him. Could it be that Markov has either stated his financial expectations and it is more than the Habs can afford or that he doesn't want to sign until after July 1st.

If either scenario is true then it might very well make sense to trade him to a team like San Jose for a high pick and a good prospect. Now I realize Adrian Aucoin will not set the ice on fire but if we can get him while at the same time getting rid of Samsonov then it might make sense after all.

Doc Hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:30 AM
jcpenny

These trades make no sense, we need him, trade him and ur team take a step back. Gainey will try everything to sign him.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:31 AM
THEREW

MARKOV'S agent is alson Ryan Smyth's agent...

Once Smyth's case is closed, Markov is next on the list.

THEREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:32 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hock View Post
I find it quite interesting that Gainey & Co. have not mentioned Markov and their desire to re-sign him. Could it be that Markov has either stated his financial expectations and it is more than the Habs can afford or that he doesn't want to sign until after July 1st.

If either scenario is true then it might very well make sense to trade him to a team like San Jose for a high pick and a good prospect. Now I realize Adrian Aucoin will not set the ice on fire but if we can get him while at the same time getting rid of Samsonov then it might make sense after all.

Doc Hock
Besides speculation from the media, the Habs have not explicitly expressed their desire any particular player.

So the silence is by no means any indication from the club that a certain player is not in the teams plans.

Old
02-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Habitant#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEREW View Post
MARKOV'S agent is alson Ryan Smyth's agent...

Once Smyth's case is closed, Markov is next on the list.
They have the same agent? Good. It'll make things easier next summer when we sign both.

Habitant#1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Doc Hock

I agree with Markov's talent and what he means to the team. I'm just wondering if this is akin to what Edmionton faced for so many years. Develop a good young player into a really great player only to lose home for nothing because of free agency.

If San Jose offered a 1st and either Bernier or Carle could Gainey really say no???

Doc Hock

Doc Hock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
I find it quite interesting that Gainey & Co. have not mentioned Markov and their desire to re-sign him.
To be honest with you, I have not heard of anything from Gainey & Co. in quite a while! I don't think that's an indication of their plan.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:34 AM
habsfan44

Quote:

Doc Hock
or maybe they know that they can sign him long term at an affordable price .

habsfan44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Doctor House

Quote:

Doc Hock
What difference would it make if Gainey held a press conference to anounce that he is desperately trying to re-sign Markov?

Fact is we don't know what is going on behind the scenes and I for one am glad.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:39 AM
zurg999

I'm guessing if Markov goes anywhere it will be because he wants not leave, not because Gainey won't match the market for him.

In a way it's kind of advantageous that he hasn't put up huge numbers again this season. His true value is in being the stabilizer, breaking up plays and starting the offense out of their zone. This is the opposite of the Souray situation, where the value won't match the offers that'll be rolling in.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

We need to keep Markov,However I have a funny feeling he wants out

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:47 AM
AH

Murray Wilson mentioned on CJAD last Saturday that the two sides are close to an agreement. RDS mentioned a source in one of their stories over the weekend that the Habs see no problem signing the guy in the summer (the summer could mean May and not necessarily after July 1st).

So no... I dont see him going anywhere.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:52 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I'd be surprised if he wanted out (unless it's to go back to Russia). We have a lot of russian players here and he doesn't seem like a person that would integrate easily into another team.

Maybe Washington to join Ovy.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Markov's overall play seems to have taken a bit of a step back this year. He's still our best defenseman, but some pretty awful plays and bad decisions in his own zone have set a few heads shaking.

He's good offensively, moves the puck well when skating, often finds the good long bomb pass, and when beaten does come back hard to the puck. I just thought somehow we'd see more consistent effort from him this year.

I remember last year he was asked to step up a notch and become a real star in the league as mgmt. sees the talent to do so, but playing the minutes he does I just don't think he has the stamina to offer that high a level of play in each shift.

I certainly hope it's not just that he's "underpaid" this year. Overall I started the year hugely favouring Markov before Souray, and still do, but Souray's closed the gap with a career year, and Markov is still the same player we've had for a few years.

A good showing the playoffs would add a lot to his value during negociations. I think the silence from Gainey says a lot about how much more they expect from him compared to what their getting from Souray.

It would not surprise me one bit to see Markov sign a large contract to return to the RSL at some point. His play would already make him a superstar in Russia.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
It would not surprise me one bit to see Markov sign a large contract to return to the RSL at some point. His play would already make him a superstar in Russia.

I used to think that Markov would end up back in Russia but his recent request for Canadian citizenship makes me doubt it.

Mue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:59 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

I don't remember Gainey negociating contract during the season, he will take care of that when it will be over, even if Markov is UFA...

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:00 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If we lose Markov.. we're gonna be bad for awhile.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I used to think that Markov would end up back in Russia but his recent request for Canadian citizenship makes me doubt it.
Thanks !! I had completely forgotten that !!

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
Thanks !! I had completely forgotten that !!

No problem.

And, although I don't know much about Voivod I have heard that they are responsible (influence) on a few bands that I really like.

Mue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:18 PM
ngc_5128

The first thing an agent does when he hears a GM say player X is important to the team is increase his price. The less Gainey says about signing anyone, the better.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:19 PM
orignl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Murray Wilson mentioned on CJAD last Saturday that the two sides are close to an agreement. RDS mentioned a source in one of their stories over the weekend that the Habs see no problem signing the guy in the summer (the summer could mean May and not necessarily after July 1st).

So no... I dont see him going anywhere.
during the pre-game that same night, the announcer mentioned that earlier he asked Markov a question. Markov's reply was "get off my back".
does anyone know what the question was or what transpired?

orignl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:20 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

I think it was widely reported by French media here that Gainey is actively negotiating with both Souray and Markov's agents

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:22 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habn8r View Post
during the pre-game that same night, the announcer mentioned that earlier he asked Markov a question. Markov's reply was "get off my back".
does anyone know what the question was or what transpired?
he said : Give me a break

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post
he said : Give me a break
people took this way too seriously. They made a big deal out of nothing.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote