HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Tarik: Zubrus not close to re-signing

Old
02-19-2007, 10:43 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
If we trap over the long haul with a team that has AO and AS I will choke!

And to successfully use this system they will need excellent scoring from their shutdown lines. Something I don't see unless this team upgrade their top 6 so our shutdown line is Pets-Suts-Clarkie and Suts plays like last year. Well, that scenario isn't going to happen.

Last edited by HSHS: 02-19-2007 at 10:51 PM.
HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:00 PM
ALEX THE 8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores View Post
I love the view they showed of Malkins shot from behind the net. It was amazing how little space there was. Watching that highlight is the definition of the small time and space and high speed and why I love this game.

However, he should not have gone down to the butterfly on a pending shot from below the circle. If BJ shuffles and hugs the post we go to OT.
Jagr scored from the same spot on Olie a few yrs. back in the playoffs, if I remember correctly.

ALEX THE 8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 07:10 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Hmph. I interpreted it as, "Get used to the trap, jerkwads....I mean, Caps fans. Caps fans!"

The one thing that should be noted IRT GMGM's comments about the difficulty of trading for a d-man is the absence of any reference towards free agency. It's possible that that's where they would target an upgrade to the blueline but I fear, like Japser noted a while ago, that the Jurcina trade coupled with the institution of a trap is perceived to be a cure-all to their problems.

Now it's created a situation where another scoring-line center (in addition to Backstrom) is more needed than ever but it's debatable whether or not that's enough to turn things around. It'll help, for sure, but this team has looked like one of the worst teams in the league lately (with the record to back it up) and that's not easily turned around just by adding a scoring-line center and a highly-touted rookie.
Trap?

I'd call it the team, grinding game. You know...the sum is greater than its parts scheme....playing the body...etc. Whatever euphemism you want to use.

We do need help at centre...but the thing is...at every position we've got more pretenders than actual players.

I hate to be so negative...but geez louise...this team is a mess.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 07:13 AM
BTCG

Quote:
I love the view they showed of Malkins shot from behind the net. It was amazing how little space there was. Watching that highlight is the definition of the small time and space and high speed and why I love this game.

However, he should not have gone down to the butterfly on a pending shot from below the circle. If BJ shuffles and hugs the post we go to OT.
I thought he (BJ) was high enough...I just think that Malkin wasn't gonna be denied.

I agree about watching the highlight....there ain't no better game in the world, eh?

Old
02-20-2007, 07:18 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX THE 8 View Post
Jagr scored from the same spot on Olie a few yrs. back in the playoffs, if I remember correctly.

Zetterberg did it the other night from the same angle too. Heck...my kid did it in a CBHL (Capital Beltway Hockey League) game last month...his fellow players told him that he was "lucky". It's a great shot.

Old
02-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Random question - didn't Tarik say in a chat a bit ago that Zubrus represented himself?

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Tinordi24*

More bad news for the Caps.

If we lose Zubrus you can BET that McPhee will replace him with a cheaper less productive player and hope to "get by" for another year.

One thing for sure is that there will be an awful lot of pressure on Backstrom as a rookie..."hey kid...take over the top center slot - and you'll be the defacto 2nd line center as well....just so you know you have to score a ton for us to have any chance of winning...oh...also we will be playing the trap..."

"on the bright side you will get plenty of PP time and look for the points as we got Pothier and Heward waiting to lay down bombs!"

I thought signing Zubrus was essential. If he signs Zednik and lets Zubrus walk I think I will puke.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Random question - didn't Tarik say in a chat a bit ago that Zubrus represented himself?
Yeah, I recalled that too when reading the article.

Having an agent should make things go a little easier, as Zubrus won't have to contend for time to negotiate.

Tinner: If Zednik AND Heward are back regardless, I'll laugh my *** off. (What else can you do?) Then I'll puke.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 10:17 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
I believe he did type that earlier this season; either he had the info wrong or Zubrus has since hired an agent???

I recognized the name and looked it up and this is the same guy that works with Zubrus on the Druzhba78 stuff. He is based in southern NJ outside of Philly (where Zubrus started his career and I believe still has a home). I know he represents some Eagles players, have no idea if he represents any other hockey players.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 10:18 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Tinner: If Zednik AND Heward are back regardless, I'll laugh my *** off. (What else can you do?) Then I'll puke.
Zednik would at least serve some purpose. If Fehr just can't hack it his first full year at this level Zednik is acceptable on the 2nd line. And if, god forbid, one of AO or AS goes down, Zednik could fill in...certainly better than any other winger we have.

Although it's an easy job on the top line converting those beautiful feeds from Zubrus

After Feb 28, I never want to hear the words "Heward" and "Capital" in the same sentence again.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:38 AM
sk84fun_dc

an update in a comment in the blog from this morning: "Zubrus is looking for a long term deal, four to five years. Money-wise, somwhere between 3.5-4. So it's going to come down to his will to compromise.

Something is going to happen in the next seven days. He's either going to resign or he's going to be traded."

no kidding on the compromise, can't see the Caps doing those numbers for 4or 5 years.

I didn't see this update in the thread, other than the general link, sorry if already posted.

Old
02-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
an update in a comment in the blog from this morning: "Zubrus is looking for a long term deal, four to five years. Money-wise, somwhere between 3.5-4. So it's going to come down to his will to compromise.

Something is going to happen in the next seven days. He's either going to resign or he's going to be traded."

no kidding on the compromise, can't see the Caps doing those numbers for 4or 5 years.

I didn't see this update in the thread, other than the general link, sorry if already posted.
If that is true, i can't see any reason why the Caps wouldn't move him. That would be a horrible contract for the Caps to get involved with. Their is no way Zubrus is worth that kind of money for one year, let alone 4 or 5.

TRADE HIM NOW

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:

Thanks for the update, I hadn't read that. I think that was my question he answered, as I was wondering whether or not the Caps were lowballing him or if it was Zubrus' demands that were unrealistic.

Clearly, if Zubrus doesn't compromise on both term and amount he's as good as gone by next week.

Let him test the free agent market and see if he'll get that. I really doubt he'd get a deal that pays out that much per year or a deal longer than three years. He's still not an established enough offensive force to demand that type of deal.

Old
02-20-2007, 12:00 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:

bye bye Zubrus!

OT: Got to love the internet and sports blogs. It seems that everyone's got inside sources. Emminger traded (E5)! (sarcastic)

Last edited by HSHS: 02-20-2007 at 12:20 PM.
HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

There's also a comment on the same Tarik post claiming that Eminger has been dealt, but it was made at 11:44a.m. today and there's no independent verification yet from the likes of TSN/WashCaps.com/etc.

Old
02-20-2007, 12:19 PM
pgreene

Quote:

if he's resigned at those numbers, i'll join the makfi's an idiot crowd. i knew it'd be trouble with the quote from his agent, saying he has value off the ice (as if to say "we know he's not worth more than 2 mill per based on stats, but he's alex's buddy!!"). let him go.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Atlas

Quote:
There's also a comment on the same Tarik post claiming that Eminger has been dealt, but it was made at 11:44a.m. today and there's no independent verification yet from the likes of TSN/WashCaps.com/etc.

It seems right that Eminger will be dealt. It's very unusual to scratch a guy like that with no explanation.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Agree or disagree with it, I'm skeptical of the Caps signing Zubrus for that kind of term and $$$.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Agree or disagree with it, I'm skeptical of the Caps signing Zubrus for that kind of term and $$$.
No doubt, particularly when you consider that the Alexanders will need new deals next summer along with Morrisonn, Green, Gordon, Fehr and Clark. Zubrus is a guy that they should keep around but re-signing him at that price is way more than he's worth.

Old
02-20-2007, 12:43 PM
CapitalPunishment

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capit....html#comments

Apparently, someone with so-called "sources" is saying Eminger has been dealt.

I don't believe it for a second, but I also wouldn't be suprised for a second either.

Quote:
I have very good inside sources that have notified me that Eminger has been traded.

1 down, 2 to go.

First Eminger, now Zednik and Zubrus according to my source, both will definitely be gone.

Posted by: Eminger Traded | February 20, 2007 11:44 AM

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 12:45 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

So, $3.5M-$4M at four to five years, eh? What a maroon...

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 12:48 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
No doubt, particularly when you consider that the Alexanders will need new deals next summer along with Morrisonn, Green, Gordon, Fehr and Clark. Zubrus is a guy that they should keep around but re-signing him at that price is way more than he's worth.
Agree (with Marshall, too)

About the Eminger rumor, have to laugh at a post like that, but I have been expecting a trade based on the mysterious scratch with no mention of injury for two games; I assumed he would be moved and perhaps a team wanted him off the ice or the Caps didn't want to risk an injury. At the same time, there is only so long he would be scratched for those reasons...and the defensive play/stats the last few games gives them reason to continue to scratch him regardless that most of us think he should be playing over Heward (the other issue of course, was whether Heward was being played at the request of another team).

Old
02-20-2007, 01:28 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
bye bye Zubrus!

OT: Got to love the internet and sports blogs. It seems that everyone's got inside sources. Emminger traded (E5)! (sarcastic)
But what about Eminger??

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Poke06

It was the same with the Forsberg deal. It went through just before game time and they didn't let him play. I wouldn't doubt that is the reason he is a healthy scratch.

As far as Zuby goes, too much for too little. Hell sign him for the 2.5 and I'll be AO's and AS's friend for a hundred grand a year. Would even learn to speak Russian...

Poke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:54 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke06 View Post
It was the same with the Forsberg deal. It went through just before game time and they didn't let him play. I wouldn't doubt that is the reason he is a healthy scratch.

As far as Zuby goes, too much for too little. Hell sign him for the 2.5 and I'll be AO's and AS's friend for a hundred grand a year. Would even learn to speak Russian...
For three games though??

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote