HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tarik: Zubrus not close to re-signing

Old
02-20-2007, 02:02 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
But what about Eminger??

exxtraa keyss aare sometimess hit when hurrrrrrying to type at work.

Of course I know you know that since you've been a Webster violator over the years I've read your posts.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:05 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
For three games though??
This brings me back to the only logical hockey reason I see Heward over Eminger is because Heward is on the 1st PP unit for some ungodly reason.

Old
02-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Ridley Simon

anything new on this? Eminger being traded??

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:13 PM
CapitalPunishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
anything new on this? Eminger being traded??
I think who ever posted that on tariks blog is bluffing. What are the chances someone would actually post something like that and tell people? He/she has nothing to gain if its true other than bragging rights of knowing before everyone else.

Either that, or the deal fell through and that poster blurted it out too soon.

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:30 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heshootshescores View Post
exxtraa keyss aare sometimess hit when hurrrrrrying to type at work.

Of course I know you know that since you've been a Webster violator over the years I've read your posts.
Yeah, I’ve been known to fat finger the key board once in a while …. I just get a kick out of the misspellings of the consonant boys.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:48 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Bye Bye Zubrus.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Bye Bye Zubrus.
thats it?

I was ready for a "we have to sign Zubrus even if it costs 20 million over 5 years speech"

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:55 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

From me? Why would you expect I would type something along those lines?

I've never been a Zubrus fan and Im even more so not a fan at numbers like that. I suggested in another thread that the Caps might give him a 3 year at 3.1 or 3.2 million....but 4 or 5 years at 3.5 to 4? That's retarded.

Trade him.

Old
02-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
From me? Why would you expect I would type something along those lines?

I've never been a Zubrus fan and Im even more so not a fan at numbers like that. I suggested in another thread that the Caps might give him a 3 year at 3.1 or 3.2 million....but 4 or 5 years at 3.5 to 4? That's retarded.

Trade him.
My bad, I thought you were one of the many who had the idea that losing him would be horrible and possibly end the world as we know it

Old
02-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
My bad, I thought you were one of the many who had the idea that losing him would be horrible and possibly end the world as we know it
back when he was on a scoring tear, it was a potential situation where losing him could have been a significant step back in the development department.

I still think losing the guy for nothing is a significant hit...

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 03:10 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

This could turn out really good. GMGM calls Burke. Says Zubrus for B. Ryan. Burke goes into a frenzy and bites off GMGM's head. We get a new GM! About as likely to happen as most of the scenarios presented on these boards.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
back when he was on a scoring tear, it was a potential situation where losing him could have been a significant step back in the development department.

Well even when he was on a tear I didn't think he would be missed. And i agree that losing him for nothing would be stupid by the org.

Quote:
This could turn out really good. GMGM calls Burke. Says Zubrus for B. Ryan. Burke goes into a frenzy and bites off GMGM's head. We get a new GM! About as likely to happen as most of the scenarios presented on these boards.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:20 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Bawahahahah .... thanks to that I now have a soda-stained monitor.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 03:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
So, $3.5M-$4M at four to five years, eh? What a maroon...

Welcome to free agency.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:

No, that would be me

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
That's why you deal him now for the best offer.

I'm not sure how hot the return will be, since most clubs will probably question his productivity when not surrounded by elite talents. But if you've a team like Vancouver and you'd put him with either Naslund or the Sedins then it doesn't much matter, imo.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 03:33 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

If Zubrus will accept no lower than 3.5-4M for 4-5 years then I say we have to say goodbye for now. If our offer is currently 3M for 3 years I'd say trade him. Should be able to get a 1st rounder (call me borro) or a AHL C projected to be in NHL next year. Then I'd let the market decide and keep the 3M for 3 yrs open to Zubrus. I doubt he's signed in the first weeks of FA. After he's on the market for about a week I'd be willing to budge up to 3.2M for 3 or 3M for 4.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:35 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
No, that would be me
And me....everyone is talking about trading away the mentor of our two young stars, when he's having back to back career years.

Whether or not we pay Zubrus 3 mill or 4.5 mil....that's not breaking the bank. I forgot though...so many people think Pothier 3 years from now at $2.5 mil will keep us from winning a cup.

Zubrus very well could sign a big deal somewhere else to play with a star(s) on another team. I think Zubrus will have a LONG line of suitors if he hits the market.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
And me....everyone is talking about trading away the mentor of our two young stars, when he's having back to back career years.

Whether or not we pay Zubrus 3 mill or 4.5 mil....that's not breaking the bank. I forgot though...so many people think Pothier 3 years from now at $2.5 mil will keep us from winning a cup.

Zubrus very well could sign a big deal somewhere else to play with a star(s) on another team. I think Zubrus will have a LONG line of suitors if he hits the market.
hopefully he has a long line of suitors on the trade market.

and 4.5 for Zubrus is borderline retarded, and on this team is breaking the bank.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:41 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I would consider giving him the 3.5M to 4M for 1 yr not 4 to 5. It's all about re-signing AO and AS next year.

edit: and seeing if he can repeat those numbers for his next contract.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:43 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
hopefully he has a long line of suitors on the trade market.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:55 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Just a reminder to folks as to what they wrote on this subject a few months ago.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=308123

I myself said "I can't see paying him more than $3mil per".

Unfortunately, I think reality has set in that # has risen even though Zubrus has cooled off. Probably his agent working the phones and get feelers from other teams.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:56 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:

I disagree, 4 or 5 years for Zubrus at the high end of those numbers would likely cause problems down the line for the Caps in terms of team salary structure and cap numbers.

I doubt he would get both those years and dollars from another team; if he does, good for him and good-bye; the issue is does he want to see his market value before compromising then the Caps need to trade him and get something in return; if the numbers written by Tarik are the starting point then it is likely not what they actually expect; always a chance he could come back as a UFA depending on the other offers and if not, because he won't compromise, there are other options when starting to reach those dollars and terms.

And take this into the context that I don't view Pothier's contract as a hindrance to any further contract signings/activity, even if they did overpay when looking at the combo of term and dollars.

I have always thought part of the reason they had no trouble paying Kolzig the kind of money they are now is because it helps toward the cap hit and only for two seasons; if he re-signs after next season, it will be for a reasonable amount with a manageable cap hit. He can take less money as an older goalie at a time when they need to allot more money to the players coming off of entry level and first RFA contracts. He gets a little extra money for being loyal and working through the rebuild, etc., at a time when the extra dollars don't impact the overall decision making as much and can be paid a reasonable amount if he sticks around past this contract.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 03:58 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think reality has set in that # has risen even though Zubrus has cooled off. Probably his agent working the phones and get feelers from other teams.

How dare he that's illegal!

Old
02-20-2007, 04:03 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I disagree, 4 or 5 years for Zubrus at the high end of those numbers would likely cause problems down the line for the Caps in terms of team salary structure and cap numbers.

I doubt he would get both those years and dollars from another team; if he does, good for him and good-bye; the issue is does he want to see his market value before compromising then the Caps need to trade him and get something in return; if the numbers written by Tarik are the starting point then it is likely not what they actually expect; always a chance he could come back as a UFA depending on the other offers and if not, because he won't compromise, there are other options when starting to reach those dollars and terms.

And take this into the context that I don't view Pothier's contract as a hindrance to any further contract signings/activity, even if they did overpay when looking at the combo of term and dollars.

I have always thought part of the reason they had no trouble paying Kolzig the kind of money they are now is because it helps toward the cap hit and only for two seasons; if he re-signs after next season, it will be for a reasonable amount with a manageable cap hit. He can take less money as an older goalie at a time when they need to allot more money to the players coming off of entry level and first RFA contracts. He gets a little extra money for being loyal and working through the rebuild, etc., at a time when the extra dollars don't impact the overall decision making as much and can be paid a reasonable amount if he sticks around past this contract.

Don't get me wrong....I don't think he'll get 5 years, but you know his people are asking for that. He would get 4 on the open market....IMO.

As for the Cap issue....you're just guessing...there is no way to predict what shape we'll be in or if we'll even have the few stars we currently have on this team, what the salary cap will be, etc...