HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dwayne Roloson

Old
02-19-2007, 04:22 PM
RoliTheGoalie

vCash: 500
Dwayne Roloson

I've been hearing everything under the sun about roli,gotta clear this upo we hate him or do we love him?my personal opinion?gotta love Dwayne.Please reply.

RoliTheGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Walsher

It's a love hate relationship. Too inconsistent to garner my full love, but better than Morrison/Conklin/Juice which doesn't deserve my full hate. All in all not outstanding (on a whole), but not costing us too many either.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 04:26 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Give him the love.

With this defense, it's a wonder we aren't last in the league in GA.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Love for sure

no reason to not like him. he doesnt cost us games

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 04:29 PM
RoliTheGoalie

thank lord i'm not the only one who gives him full support,even when he's not playing his best,which is actually quite often nowadays.
Roli4eva

Old
02-19-2007, 04:31 PM
kurtcobang

I hate him because without him we would have the first overall pick in the draft

kurtcobang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 04:32 PM
tricksnard

Send a message via MSN to tricksnard
Roli =

tricksnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 04:34 PM
vbet*

He's been worth every penny this year.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Digger12

I have no problem having him as the starting goaltender for my team, but I sure wouldn't want to be stuck on a deserted island with him.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 04:38 PM
OilerFan4Life

I can do without the antics and spaz attacks on the ice, but he has had a good year.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Roli's a college romance. Good for 3-4 year relationship, but dump her at graduation for a hot young mistake-prone co-ed with more potential, but ultimately a less fulfilling experience.
But hey, with MAB gone, Roli's knees could last until he's 45. That's it - I'm buying the ring.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 05:25 PM
stangconv

vCash: 50
With the defense in front of him... You HAVE to love him. I imagine with MAB gone he is gonna just get better.

I can only imagine him ripping into MAB in the locker room....

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 05:56 PM
crackercats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I have no problem having him as the starting goaltender for my team, but I sure wouldn't want to be stuck on a deserted island with him.
Roli is exactly the guy you'd wanna be with on a island. They asked him what he'd take on OIlers live and he said chips and ice cream! What could be better?

Back to the point, we are in last in the western conference without Roli. Hats off to Kevin Lowe for this find, Roli has stolen more than a few games this year and I can find at least three ( I think four) games this year where his D blew a shutout in the last five minutes. Take that away he's got 8 shutouts, enough to garner a sniff in the Vezina voting. He isn't at the level of Kipper, Brodeur, maybe Luongo, but he's at the top of the next tier.

Happy to have you Roli.

crackercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 05:58 PM
OntOilFan

Roli's been a solid tender this year.

His temper tantrums were getting out of hand a while ago but I think somebody's gotten to him because he's really toned it down.

If we had him all last year, we'd have won the NW no questions asked.

Similarly, if we had Conkannen this year, right now Lowe would be deciding who to select No. 1 overall.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Lessy

I'm not thrilled with Roloson but I can't say I'm disappointed either. He's a huge upgrade over Conkkanen obviously but at 3.5 million for the next 2 years isn't exactly a bargain either. I think he's an average-slightly above average NHL starting goalie and is worth what he's paid, no more and no less. I and pretty much everyone else didn't expect him to have playoff form yearround and what he's done this year is exactly what I expected, solid yet unspectacular.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 06:59 PM
NMK

He's stolen 4 times as many games as he's given away. He had a bad 6 or 7 game stretch there, but has been very, very good most of the season.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:47 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMK View Post
He's stolen 4 times as many games as he's given away.
Yup. He's the sole reason we're still (ostensibly) in the playoff race.

And all goalies cost you games sometimes (or at least, don't steal them when the team forgets to show up). Kipper's thrown up some stinkers for Calgary this year too. We're so unforgiving here and because he's not 22, and because he was so unbeatable in the playoffs last year, I think people lose sight of that fact.

Roli has been as good or better than we ever could have hoped for, starting with the playoffs last year and going all the way through 'til today. He's probably our best player. Him or Smyth.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Mizral

I like Rolo. Always did. Lots of love.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:07 PM
faneuil

Love. Of course.

And he's not Conkannen.

faneuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Bucket

Love him, but sometimes I get frustrated with his inconsisity at times and his hissy-fits. He's starting to calm down a bit though.

He and Jussi make a good goaltending situation.

Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 10:02 PM
oiler-dude

<3 Roli.

Put an NHL calibre defence in front of him, and he's back like he was in the playoffs, or at the beginning of the year, when our D was doing something. He was top 5 in the leauge then, but as soon as our D turned to *****, his play suffered too.

Sure, he has the occasional fit, but he's toned down on those, so I'm not worried. And for all the opposing team fans who complain about the "mask shaking," I would like them to find me more than once this season he's done it, I honestly don't think they could. And he only did it 2-3 times in the playoffs, each time having been hit by the puck and the strap was loose or off.

<3 Roli.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:11 AM
RoliTheGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFanAlways View Post
Love him, but sometimes I get frustrated with his inconsisity at times and his hissy-fits. He's starting to calm down a bit though.

He and Jussi make a good goaltending situation.
Really?I love a goalie wuth a temper.
Bow ye to Dwayne...you get it.

Old
02-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Mr Sakich

if you look at the goalie free agent signings last summer, it is clear that we got the best of the lot. Gerber and Denis have stunk and got the same contract as rollie.

In the last 2 years year, Hasek, Rollie, Gerber, Denis, Theodore, and Khabibullan have been the big name goalies who have switched teams. Only Hasek has been better this year and he was very poor last year. Rollie has probably been the best overall of the lot.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:18 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Glad to see it is all love, the guy has played great infront of a brutal D. He has been worth his money and then some this year.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:21 AM
tricksnard

Send a message via MSN to tricksnard
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
<3 Roli.

Put an NHL calibre defence in front of him, and he's back like he was in the playoffs, or at the beginning of the year, when our D was doing something. He was top 5 in the leauge then, but as soon as our D turned to *****, his play suffered too.

Sure, he has the occasional fit, but he's toned down on those, so I'm not worried. And for all the opposing team fans who complain about the "mask shaking," I would like them to find me more than once this season he's done it, I honestly don't think they could. And he only did it 2-3 times in the playoffs, each time having been hit by the puck and the strap was loose or off.

<3 Roli.
You know... Has there been a time, even one, where he shook his mask off without a strap being loose? Further to that, has there been a time where he's stood down from a possible shot after shaking off his mask? (Yes, I am aware it calls for an immediate whistle, that doesn't mean a shot can't still get off before the play stops.)

I can understand people complaining about his frequent chats with the refs with regards to interference, but the whole mask thing really pisses me off. Anyone who's played nets knows if the mask shifts on your head, it's hard as hell to see.

tricksnard is offline   Reply With Quote