HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Wings ripe for picking again

Old
02-19-2007, 08:09 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 500
OT: Wings ripe for picking again

So I woke up yesterday morning, read the paper and saw Detroit in 1st place in the west.

Honestly, as good as Hasek is, I still think that team is ripe for the picking.

Until we are mathematically out, I believe!!

IMO, Minny/Calgary would beat Detroit.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Oh they defintley are since Ken Holland can't get out of his own way and bring in some actual grit and guys that know how to play playoff hockey. I've said it lots, this team got every single bounce in 02 and if it wasn't for Roy being an idiot in game 6 of that series Colorado would have won that Cup. If you exclude that run, they have won only 3 rounds in 6 years. However, in reality you can't take there Cup away from them The point is they don't have the true grit that they had in 97 and 98, nor do they have the youth they had back then. They keep sticking with the old guys, and the lesser talented Europeans on there 3rd and 4th lines and they keep getting bounced. Right now, Minny v Detroit? If they have a healthy Fernandez and Gaborik I'll be picking Minny in 6....even if the Wings add Tkachuck or Guerin. Imagine if the Canucks or Flames get them? With there d and goaltending that could be a sweep. The Wings are becoming the Atlanta Braves of the NHL and until they get younger and tougher they'll do the same thing year in and year out.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:44 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

This is silly if you ask me, this team, out of all others in the NHL, has IMO, been the most successful in the past 10+ years. Even post lock out, the team is doing well with almost no end to it's success in sight, not even the Devils have, IMO, been able to do that.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master View Post
This is silly if you ask me, this team, out of all others in the NHL, has IMO, been the most successful in the past 10+ years. Even post lock out, the team is doing well with almost no end to it's success in sight, not even the Devils have, IMO, been able to do that.
Yet, they'll be gone in the first 2 rounds again because they cant handle the grind of playoff hockey.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Walsher

Not if Zetterberg and Datsyuk remain on this ridiculous scoring clip. I wouldn't bet against Detroit the way those two are rolling.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:15 PM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master View Post
Dats == 1 point in a 7 game series.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:23 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
Not if Zetterberg and Datsyuk remain on this ridiculous scoring clip. I wouldn't bet against Detroit the way those two are rolling.
I'll be absolutely shocked if Datsyuk does anything in the playoffs. The guy is absolutely invisible in the post season EVERY year.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:24 PM
vbet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
I'll be absolutely shocked if Datsyuk does anything in the playoffs. The guy is absolutely invisible in the post season EVERY year.
The guy folds more than my grandmothers fat on a rollercoaster. (ps...I love you grandma..shes 96)

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:28 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbet View Post
The guy folds more than my grandmothers fat on a rollercoaster. (ps...I love you grandma..shes 96)
hahah
Over the course of the summer, I sat down and watched all the playoff games and I can honestly say that you'd think Datsyuck was getting 1 shift a game. He's horrible. Honestly, i'd take Jimmy Carson in his prime over him.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Walsher

Ok, we will see come the playoffs. Just because it has happened doesn't mean it will happen. I wouldn't bet against the Wings. Too many character guys (Maltby, Cleary, Holmstrom, Chelios, Schneider, Lidstrom, Draper, etc.). The Oilers got lucky with outstanding goaltending and a couple nice breaks (including the Stoll OT winner and the Hemsky clincher). They will be tough, anyone is beatable.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Walsher

Quote:
hahah
Over the course of the summer, I sat down and watched all the playoff games and I can honestly say that you'd think Datsyuck was getting 1 shift a game. He's horrible. Honestly, i'd take Jimmy Carson in his prime over him.
He was also hurt and missed some of the games - perhaps that is why you thought he only had 1 shift a game.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:36 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
Ok, we will see come the playoffs. Just because it has happened doesn't mean it will happen. I wouldn't bet against the Wings. Too many character guys (Maltby, Cleary, Holmstrom, Chelios, Schneider, Lidstrom, Draper, etc.). The Oilers got lucky with outstanding goaltending and a couple nice breaks (including the Stoll OT winner and the Hemsky clincher). They will be tough, anyone is beatable.
They also got lucky on that absolutely bogus non-call on the pick play on Stoll in game 4.

Were the Flames also lucky when they ran Detroit out of the building in 6 games?

Was Anaheim lucky when they swept the Wings?

Was Vancouver lucky when they won twice in Detroit before Cloutier imploded?

Detroit is soft man. Bowman and to a lesser extent Federov were huge losses for the organization.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Walsher

Quote:
They also got lucky on that absolutely bogus non-call on the pick play on Stoll in game 4.

Were the Flames also lucky when they ran Detroit out of the building in 6 games?

Was Anaheim lucky when they swept the Wings?

Was Vancouver lucky when they won twice in Detroit before Cloutier imploded?

Detroit is soft man. Bowman and to a lesser extent Federov were huge losses for the organization.
They have won enough cups lately to suggest they are not as soft as the Oilers/Canucks/Flames/Ducks/or whomever else in the recent history. Not arguing, just don;t think they will be a pushover as suggested.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:40 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
who the hell are you kidding "lucky". The Wings had a hell of a lot more breaks than the Oilers in that series - their 2 wins were because of luck if not for that then they are swept by the Oil.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
who the hell are you kidding "lucky". The Wings had a hell of a lot more breaks than the Oilers in that series - their 2 wins were because of luck if not for that then they are swept by the Oil.
They also outshot the Oilers 2 to 1 in almost every game. Don't try to play it off like the Wings were lucky to get wins - they outplayed the Oilers to astronomical levels. Lets be serious.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

I think in years past, Detroit was just great at beating teams when they were playing 80%(regular season) and when their opponents played 100%(playoffs they struggled)

This year I like them a lot better then last year. Danny Markov is going to be a big imrpovement over the likes of Lilja and Lebda. I think last year Detroits lack of depth on D really hurt them.

Hasek is also playing great and if healthy I see Detroit going far. Datsyuk will still be invisible but I think others will step up. If they can get one more forward or just have Cleary continue his solid play, they will be a force IMO.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:48 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:
He was also hurt and missed some of the games - perhaps that is why you thought he only had 1 shift a game.
Datsyuk ice time:

Game 1: Did not play
Game 2: 17:11 Ice time, -1, 1 SOG
Game 3: 24:30 Ice time, even, 3 SOG
Game 4: 18:39 Ice time, 2 assists, +1, 1 SOG
Game 5: 21:11 Ice time, 1 assist, +1
Game 6: 18:56 Ice time, -1, 3 SOG

5 games, 3 assists.

Not that bad but, compared to the regular season he had...

He's not a guy i'd want on my team during playoff time. This is a guy that had 87 points last year. He's a superstar in the regular season. Don't touch him come grind
time.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:49 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
They have won enough cups lately to suggest they are not as soft as the Oilers/Canucks/Flames/Ducks/or whomever else in the recent history. Not arguing, just don;t think they will be a pushover as suggested.
wow thy on ethree cups, how many of those years were they first in the league or close to it ?
91-92 second overall
92-93 fifth overall (2nd in the norris)
93-94 forth overall
95 first overall
95-96 first overall
96-97 fifth overall (2nd in central)
97-98 thrid overall (2nd in central)
98-99 fourth overall
99-00 second overall (2nd in central)
00-01 second overall
01-02 first overall
02-03 third overall
03-04 first overall
05-06 first overall
nearly every one of them and yet they only have 3 cups no it suggest they are overrated and fold like a $5 tent come playoff time.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Walsher

Quote:
wow thy on ethree cups, how many of those years were they first in the league or close to it ?
91-92 second overall
92-93 fifth overall (2nd in the norris)
93-94 forth overall
95 first overall
95-96 first overall
96-97 fifth overall (2nd in central)
97-98 thrid overall (2nd in central)
98-99 fourth overall
99-00 second overall (2nd in central)
00-01 second overall
01-02 first overall
02-03 third overall
03-04 first overall
05-06 first overall
nearly every one of them and yet they only have 3 cups no it suggest they are overrated and fold like a $5 tent come playoff time.
3 cups in 12 years. I would gladly take that percentage. I am sure EVERY other team would as well. But this is a pointless argument.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:51 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

I think of all the 'top' teams, I think the likely candidate for implosion is the Sharks. Something about that team just screams implosion to me.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:53 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
They also outshot the Oilers 2 to 1 in almost every game. Don't try to play it off like the Wings were lucky to get wins - they outplayed the Oilers to astronomical levels. Lets be serious.
oh i am sorry i forgot that because the wings got the majority of their shots from the outside they outplayed the Oilers by and astronomical level.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Walsher

Quote:
oh i am sorry i forgot that because the wings got the majority of their shots from the outside they outplayed the Oilers by and astronomical level.
You must have forgot, it wasn;t close.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:54 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
3 cups in 12 years. I would gladly take that percentage. I am sure EVERY other team would as well. But this is a pointless argument.
you think three cups is good for a team that has finished at the top of the league for nearly 15 years is good, wow I am just leaving it at that.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:55 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
You must have forgot, it wasn;t close.
yeah whatever keep grasping at straws.

Old
02-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Walsher

Quote:
you think three cups is good for a team that has finished at the top of the league for nearly 15 years is good, wow I am just leaving it at that.
Not good, excellent. The cup isn't awarded for regular season placings. 3 cups in that time is pretty impressive considering the competition. There are 30 teams vying for it. The fact they finished that high in the regular season every year is a feat in itself.