HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What are the Oilers going to do about their centers?

Old
02-19-2007, 09:21 PM
NMK

vCash: 500
What are the Oilers going to do about their centers?

When healthy, the Oilers have 6 guys who could play:
Horcoff
Stoll
Peterson
Reasoner
Pouliot
Schremp

Personally I think Stoll is the best center the Oilers have. I would have no problem trading Horcoff for some good young players/picks, or a solid defenceman under contract. Move Stoll onto the 1st line and try Pouliot on the 2nd line. If that doesn't work, move peterson onto the 2nd line, and rotate Reasoner/Pouliot and Schremp on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Nothing against Horcoff, but I think Stoll could do just as well what Horcoff does, and it would make some room for a couple of really good young guys like Pouliot and Schremp.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:23 PM
vbet*

Play the best 4.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Walsher

I don't think Schremp will be playing centre at this level any time soon. They have said recently he needs to work on defensive play and faceoffs two essential aspects of an NHL centreman. He is too far away and his AHL numbers do not reflect a close jump any time soon. Petersen can play wing, and if MacT keeps him around it will be in a platoon role 13th forward. He is the perfect 13th forward. Low maintenance, plays any position, good at both ends and can PK or point on PP. Much like Rem Murray. Pouliot will fill the 3rd centre spot and Reasoner 4th. Should a trade transpire with Horc, Stoll #1, Pouliot #2 (although that would be a bad experiment over a long stretch at this point), Reasoner#3 and Brodziak#4

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Lord Stanley x 5

Send a message via MSN to Lord Stanley x 5
Horcoff
Stoll
Reasoner
Pouliot

That would be the ideal for next season...Petersen gets converted to a 'utility' dman for KLo won't see the need to land one in the offseason ( Smith, Staios, Smid, Greene, Hejda, Tjarnqvist will all be in the mix again ). As for Schremp, he'll be converted to the wing and play along side either Stoll or Pouliot - depending on whether MacT loosens the reigns when he makes the show or has RS concentrate more of his defensive responsibilities in lieu of offensive flare.

Lord Stanley x 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 09:50 PM
NMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenom89 View Post
Horcoff
Stoll
Reasoner
Pouliot

That would be the ideal for next season...Petersen gets converted to a 'utility' dman for KLo won't see the need to land one in the offseason ( Smith, Staios, Smid, Greene, Hejda, Tjarnqvist will all be in the mix again ). As for Schremp, he'll be converted to the wing and play along side either Stoll or Pouliot - depending on whether MacT loosens the reigns when he makes the show or has RS concentrate more of his defensive responsibilities in lieu of offensive flare.
Yeah I was wondering too if Schremp will play wing. And I do realize he would be weak right now, this is all assuming we're sellers of course.

Old
02-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Lowe in Oil

Cogliano will make it before Schremp the way things are going...

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:39 PM
namflashback

Stoll, as at the point of Smyth's injuries showed for the first time that he could "do Horcoff's job." He had a pretty decent stretch of 25 games in there and I believe he made the leap -- the injury just really sucks.

For any of the top two centers -- you need experience. The issue isn't only about Stoll supplanting Horcoff, its also about Reasoner taking Sykora's shifts, Pouliout taking Stoll's ice.

For next season anyway, I think you run your depth like this, with rankings of ES, PK, and PP:

Horcoff - 1st ES 2nd PP 1st PK
Stoll - 2nd ES 1st PP 4th PK
Pouliout - 3rd ES 3rd PP 3rd PK
Reasoner - 4th ES 2nd PK

Schremp develops for another year.

namflashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:47 PM
copperaddict

Pittsburgh could really use someone like Horcoff as their 3rd center(few guys on here think he would be their #1).They have a lot of good prospects and will need someone if they plan on doing anything in the playoffs.Anyone could play between the Oilers best forwards and get points!Horcoff has shown he can't do it without them.

copperaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Boilers*

And Brodziak?

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm sorry nameflashback, but Stoll is the 4th best Penatly killer out of that group behind Pouliot??? Has Pouliot killed 10 penalties in this league yet??? Stoll is 2nd, he's passed Reasoner....Marty hasn't digressed, Stoll has just simply past him.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:57 PM
NMK

I agree, Stoll has some PK skill as well.

How did I forget Brodziak too? He'd be a great 4th liner if we ever wanted to trade Reasoner, (which I'm not saying we should do) or to replace Peterson as soon as MacT realizes he's not Cinderella.

Old
02-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMK View Post
When healthy, the Oilers have 6 guys who could play:
Horcoff
Stoll
Peterson <- UFA after this year can actually play the wing <as uneffectively as center>Reasoner
Pouliot
Schremp <- doubt he'll be making the team next year so we have some time

I dont see a center issue here

Nothing against Horcoff, but I think Stoll could do just as well what Horcoff does, and it would make some room for a couple of really good young guys like Pouliot and Schremp.
Stoll cant skate like Horcoff not can he pass like him. Stoll is better offensively but Horcoff still has a step on him when it comes to overall game. That doesnt mean he isnt overpaid.. If he was making Stoll money (ie 1.5M less) he would be untouchable on the team.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 06:09 PM
RiversQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
I'm sorry nameflashback, but Stoll is the 4th best Penatly killer out of that group behind Pouliot??? Has Pouliot killed 10 penalties in this league yet??? Stoll is 2nd, he's passed Reasoner....Marty hasn't digressed, Stoll has just simply past him.
That's not the point. Honestly, you shouldn't be using your best ES and PP forwards to kill penalties. You're much better off using bottom sixers if you can get away with it and saving your skill forwards for other situations.

Oh and Marty's definitely fallen back a bit.

RiversQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 05:27 AM
namflashback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversQ View Post
That's not the point. Honestly, you shouldn't be using your best ES and PP forwards to kill penalties. You're much better off using bottom sixers if you can get away with it and saving your skill forwards for other situations.

Oh and Marty's definitely fallen back a bit.
Ari Gold, this is what I meant -- I was balancing out the icetime amongst them, it wasn't a statement about each of their PK abilities.

namflashback is offline   Reply With Quote