HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Mactavish Report Card...

View Poll Results: Mac-T Report Card For This Season...
(A) 90-100% 7 3.57%
(B) 80-89% 36 18.37%
(C) 70-79% 67 34.18%
(D) 60-69% 54 27.55%
(F) 0-59% 32 16.33%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2007, 06:16 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Bottom line is taking the players you have, no matter who they are and making them perform in games is the coaches responsability. As much as I like MacT and respect what he did in last years playoffs, he has not delivered this year.

He failed.

So does that mean Randy Carlyle (Anaheim's coach) is a fantastic coach since he's doing so well, even though he happens to have two more Norris Trophy winners on his bluelines than MacT?

If that's the case how did Randy do with Manitoba Moose in the years before?

The fact is - players matter. Adding Crosby to the oilers for example, would make mactavish look like a genius overnight. Subtracting Pronger from the lineup apparently made Mact dumber. Is that fair?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
I really hope that's not your philosophy as a hockey player. I never expected my coaches to make me perform on game day... performance was my job, not my coaches.
My attitude as a player is to work my ass off and try my hardest every shift. The team I play on now is stocked with similar types (hard working, decent skill level), but early in the season we had no direction, or roles within the team. We had a very poor record. Then we started to talk about peoples responsibilities within the team, and started using plays and team play, and since Christmas, we've been 9-2-2

All I've ever wanted as a player is a role and some direction. Heart and execution was my responsibility. I am a very good skater and a decent puck handler, and often teams I'm on start pressuring me into trying to be more offensive. But I am now and have always been a defensive D man. I do not perform well when I am expected to play a role I'm not suited for... I'm just not that dynamic a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
So does that mean Randy Carlyle (Anaheim's coach) is a fantastic coach since he's doing so well, even though he happens to have two more Norris Trophy winners on his bluelines than MacT?

If that's the case how did Randy do with Manitoba Moose in the years before?

The fact is - players matter. Adding Crosby to the oilers for example, would make mactavish look like a genius overnight. Subtracting Pronger from the lineup apparently made Mact dumber. Is that fair?
Meh. I've seen teams with far less talent outperform teams that were stocked. It was due to intelligent coaching.

Once again I wasn't saying it was all MacT's fault - the players are definitely accountable as well. But, a great coach would push their buttons and utilize the players he has more appropriately. If Pat Burns had this edition of the Oilers since training camp, we would be fighting for first in the NW.

02-20-2007, 07:22 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Meh. I've seen teams with far less talent outperform teams that were stocked. It was due to intelligent coaching.
i've seen that happen before, too. i'm pretty sure it was in the playoffs last year.

how's that selective memory?

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
i've seen that happen before, too. i'm pretty sure it was in the playoffs last year.

Pronger, Peca, Spacek, Samsonov, and Roloson on a hot-streak like never before may have a little something to say about this issue. I will honestly sit here as an anti-Mac-T person and tell you that he did his job as a coach last post-season. In all honesty, that was his shining moment, and that was it. I've basically never been a fan of his, but last season in the play-offs he did a very solid job. Out-side of our PP wilting under Carolina's PK early in the series, IMO Mac-T did a very solid job of coaching. Every other post-season and regular season??? I'd rate him a D or an F.

02-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
F

Vyse64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Oilers Fan 94

i like mac t, i think some of us just need to think all the players that he has lost this season and when you really think about it, mac t hasnt had much to work with!

i voted for B

Oilers Fan 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 12:39 AM
xauxi

Quote:
I really hope that's not your philosophy as a hockey player. I never expected my coaches to make me perform on game day... performance was my job, not my coaches.
Does that mean the Management fail to get the performing players into the system for the last 7 years? How the hell other coaches can get their team better and consistently better every year, and not with the Oilers (of course, except for CP's performing last year).
Perhaps no team needs the coach, because if every player will perform 100% of their potential each and every night, then the coach can sit in the press box instead of standing behind the bench enjoying his players' not performing history. Or either the players just ignore what the coach trying to teach them (e.g. PP)
DB, the winning teams need strong and consistent coaches in order for the team to get consistent performance.

xauxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 12:50 AM
GSC

Quote:
so, as a coach you wouldn't try to push your players to the max? try to get the best out of them? put them in a system or devise a strategy where they can excel? look at Hemsky, here's a guy with a world of skill and yet he's stuck with 9 goals on the season. tell me that doesn't have something to do with coaching, I'm begging you. it's his fault he doesn't shoot more often, right? You just expect every player to go out and do their own thing, eh? No thought of putting them in a position to succeed or having them on the ice in certain situations where they can contribute, thus raising their confidence AND enabling them to perform at a high level?

I sincerely hope that you're not a hockey coach, you'd really suck at it.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
But, a great coach would push their buttons and utilize the players he has more appropriately. If Pat Burns had this edition of the Oilers since training camp, we would be fighting for first in the NW.
I respect everyone's opinion on Mact, and I know that we are all Oiler fans at heart and want the best for the team. But I can tell you from personal experience that things aren't black and white. Fantastic coaches have bad seasons. Bad coaches have good seasons. I'm an assistant coach for soccer at the highest level of in Edmonton - and I know I'm not that good a coach. I've had the fortune of having two spectacular senior coaches in my past to learn from and assist. I know they're good - but even they can only do so much sometimes - at some point in time it comes down to the people on the field.

My favourite coaches would have to be Scotty Bowman, Larry Robinson and Pat Burns. But even these three have had bad seasons. Burns has been fired before for lousy seasons - his last season with Toronto and Boston, he was below .500 in both years. Does that make him a bad coach? Of course not.

MacT has never had a sub 0.500 record, despite years of having a below average team budget, no #1 center, no #1 goalie, and this year - a crappy defense. Does that make him a good coach? Not necessarily. But I can tell that he cares about his team and his players, and he's squeezing every bit of effort that he can out of these guys. And it may still not be enough.

Old
02-21-2007, 01:15 AM
Master Lok

And someone tell me again that the Oilers are quitting on their coach, when they've lost 3 games, they're down 3-1 in the third period to the Senators (who are on a 4 game win streak), they're missing Stollie, Pisani and Moreau, and they claw back to salvage a tie.

They're still fighting. Even if the fans have given up.

Old
02-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Belcriss
McDavid Sweepstakes!

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
I don't blame MacT for all the problems this season... as in another post, I am more ticked with the older leadership on this team.... its a team effort.. and both sides are to blame...

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 02:41 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

I'm going with C+ ... which by this poll is just about 80%.

I think MacT is a very solid coach. Even with mega-injuries, he has kept this team together and teetering on some hope to make the playoffs. My criticism of MacT this year has been a slowness in responding to key needs, most namely a pee-wee level power play. He has overplayed a solid role player in Peterson on the power play. Sure Toby won't get beat on d very often but he also did nothing to generate offense with the man advantage.

Now I also hold the players accountable for sub-par season. The exceptions being Smyth and Roli, everyone else haven't performed with the consistency required to be a playoff team.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Off topic here, but I heard a RUMOUR(not very reliable source)the other day that Craig Simpson will resign at season's end and head back to the broadcast booth next year....I'm freakin GEEKED if that happens, but has anyone else heard this floating around?

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 03:09 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
And someone tell me again that the Oilers are quitting on their coach, when they've lost 3 games, they're down 3-1 in the third period to the Senators (who are on a 4 game win streak), they're missing Stollie, Pisani and Moreau, and they claw back to salvage a tie.

They're still fighting. Even if the fans have given up.
Well I don't know if that was directed at me, but I was the one that started that thread the other day ML, and I'm glad to say that isn't the case. It seemed like it with there efforts in Toronto and Boston, but they big time proved that wrong tonight, they fought hard. That might have been the most satisfing LOSS of the year.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 04:41 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Well I don't know if that was directed at me, but I was the one that started that thread the other day ML, and I'm glad to say that isn't the case. It seemed like it with there efforts in Toronto and Boston, but they big time proved that wrong tonight, they fought hard. That might have been the most satisfing LOSS of the year.
I can tell the effort is there. But the execution... and sometimes the talent just isn't.

Old
02-21-2007, 06:40 AM
iceman_88888888

mact gets a c- from me. he did a great job last year in the playoffs when he outcoached all the other teams and changed the style of play in order to get the upper hand and almost win us the cup. this year, he's been given a brutal team to work with. there's no number 1 or 2 defenseman, the big guns at the top are now firing but secondary scoring is gone. lupul's still trying to learn a system that requires him to be in position rather than float and the same is with sykora. torres looks disinterested most nites. but the biggest flaw this year in mact, it's the fact he's giving petersen so much icetime when guys like lupul or torres should be out there. regardless of how poorly lupul, torres, sykora, and pisani are playing offensively, we know that they can put up numbers. petersen and thoreson do not have the offensive upside and should not be put out in scoring situations. also, mact's decided not to try and outcoach or outscheme the other coach. it's the same ol trap style hockey game in and game out and the boys can't win playing that way.
there's my rant and explanation of his c- grade.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:58 AM
cfrancis

Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I like how he coaches in the playoffs.

Exactly. I don't understand the constant changing of lines, changing lineups, guys up from the minors, down to the minors and consistently trying to ram the puck up the boards when it clearly isn't working.

The love affair of Thorensen, Peterson and Jacques....

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 07:54 PM
NMK

D+

We all know the defence is nothing to write home about, but our offense surely was potent until MacT decided that instead of using this firepower, he would reign it in in order to try to compensate for an inexperienced back end.

His handling of the lines is mind boggling. His obvious favoritism must be extremely frustrating for some players and we wonder why on many nights the Oilers seem un-inspired.

I realize its Simpson's job to make up a plan of attack on the power play, but it should be MacT's job to tell Simpson that his PP stinks and he needs to find a way to change it.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
A for me - he doesn't have the horses to work with, and those who are supposedto be are playing more like ponies. LOSE-LOSE for MacT. No personel, easy as that.
So because he doesn't have the horses he get an A?

I understand he didn't have a great team to work with but he didn't really adapt to the team either. I have said it before, Mact is perfect for the assistant role because he can really develop his players. Where is not a great coach is during the game itself.

I think high D low C for him.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Seeing how this is related and didn't wanna start a new thread..

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Oilers/home.html

Quote:
If the Oilers miss the playoffs who should be the head coach next year?

Craig MacTavish

One of the other assistant coaches

Someone new to the organization
Thought it'd be interesting.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 01:58 PM
crackercats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
F

MacT should be giving chances to players like Mikhnov, Rita, ect.. (playing 20 minutes a game)
not a ******** plug like Toby.
And to think, if we had seen what Pittsburgh sees in Jani Rita...(8 mins of ice time last year). And where is he playing this year?

crackercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:05 PM
nashpack

Mac T and F grade

Listen, last year everyone wanted this guys head, why, because he had knowone buying into his system.

They got as far as they did due to experienced players:

Pronger
Peca
Spacek
Smytty
Roloson

Then he is rewarded with a 4 year deal...What a joke; Oilers need a new Leader: Coach::: Responses????????

nashpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC11 View Post
so, as a coach you wouldn't try to push your players to the max? try to get the best out of them? put them in a system or devise a strategy where they can excel? look at Hemsky, here's a guy with a world of skill and yet he's stuck with 9 goals on the season. tell me that doesn't have something to do with coaching, I'm begging you. it's his fault he doesn't shoot more often, right? You just expect every player to go out and do their own thing, eh? No thought of putting them in a position to succeed or having them on the ice in certain situations where they can contribute, thus raising their confidence AND enabling them to perform at a high level?

I sincerely hope that you're not a hockey coach, you'd really suck at it.
What in the blue hell does this have anything to do with what I responded to?

My point, which was pretty clear, was that the coaching can only do certain things. What it can't do is ultimately go on the ice and perform.

The coach can do many things for you... 99% of it is perparation. What the coach can't do is go out and make you perform your best. Only the player is capable of that.

Blaming the coaches is the route of the whiney suck. Save it for the soccer and hockey moms and dads who think little johnny is simply the best at everything. The coach can only prepare the player and put him in the right situations... he cannot execute for him.

Ales Hemsky not taking a shot when he has it is the player. There are lots of players who have played for great coaches that simply do not do well at certain aspects of the game. Brett Hull was a terrible hockey player (he was a great shooter), and he was coached by some pretty good coaches who couldn't change him.

02-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post

ONCE AGAIN!! I'm not putting this all on MacT's head. I know what he did in the playoffs last year, but this years team is not responding. Have they tuned him out? Maybe... did he fail to come up with an appropriate way to use a very different team from last year? I think so. This year we have skilled forwards and we were supposed to score with ease. I know that defense and defensive play have been an issue, but I think it might be a case of MacT tryin to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Motivation for me seems to be this teams main problem. They mail it in at points of almost every game... the Oilers never used to do that, and that might be a case of the coach bein around too long.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 02:16 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashpack View Post
Listen, last year everyone wanted this guys head, why, because he had knowone buying into his system.

They got as far as they did due to experienced players:

Pronger
Peca
Spacek
Smytty
Roloson

Then he is rewarded with a 4 year deal...What a joke; Oilers need a new Leader: Coach::: Responses????????
The players bought into the system last year... the goaltending just killed everything.

And if I am not mistaken, the team completely bought into the system used in the playoffs...

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote