HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Root For Missing The Play-offs By A Sizeable Margin And Become Sellers Thread...

Old
02-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
The Root For Missing The Play-offs By A Sizeable Margin And Become Sellers Thread...

I have a feeling that this will bring some flack, but hear me out. I am an Oilers fan through and though. I have been here through the bad times and well one really good time last year. That said, I am tired of mediocrity and IMO the best way for us to get back on track to becomming a contender is to blow up this season and cash in what-ever assets that we have that will not be of much use to us in 3 seasons from now. Un-less we get EXTREMELY lucky with UFA's or in some trades, IMO we will not be contenders for at least this year and next. I hope that Lowe gets us the most talented players possible and then re-tools this team with a few new vets to compliment the Horcoff, Moreau, Pisani, and hopefully Smyth type of vets. I really would rather see this year go up in smoke than to see the mediocrity continue for another 4-5 seasons. Anyone else feel this way??? Or does everyone want to take a water pistol to a gun fight this year???

02-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Tyrolean

Just do what Nashville did.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:31 AM
mudcrutch79

I say move the no hopers like Schremp for whatever we can get and take a run.

mudcrutch79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:36 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeComrie'sGhost View Post
I say move the no hopers like Schremp for whatever we can get and take a run.
nice entry tonight, not in a great mood are ya

I wrote something in the comments on your site, but would be interested in your take on the Smyth situation, what you think might be happening.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I have a feeling that this will bring some flack, but hear me out. I am an Oilers fan through and though. I have been here through the bad times and well one really good time last year. That said, I am tired of mediocrity and IMO the best way for us to get back on track to becomming a contender is to blow up this season and cash in what-ever assets that we have that will not be of much use to us in 3 seasons from now. Un-less we get EXTREMELY lucky with UFA's or in some trades, IMO we will not be contenders for at least this year and next. I hope that Lowe gets us the most talented players possible and then re-tools this team with a few new vets to compliment the Horcoff, Moreau, Pisani, and hopefully Smyth type of vets. I really would rather see this year go up in smoke than to see the mediocrity continue for another 4-5 seasons. Anyone else feel this way??? Or does everyone want to take a water pistol to a gun fight this year???
I shared your sentiment earlier today in Ogopogo's thread. I also said that if things dont change. We should be trading away most of the guys who likely wouldn't be useful in 3 yrs, or whose salaries don't really justify their spots, taking into account that this team will not be a contender for 3 yrs.

That means...

Roloson out, and possibly Markkanen too. Signing M. Biron and saving about 1.5 m in net.

Smith out for a younger defenseman.

Pisani possibly, even though I'd hate to see him go.

Sykora being traded for whatever the market fetches.

POSSIBLY, dealing away Torres OR Lupul in a pkg. for a top flight defenseman who's young enough to fit into our plans but old enough to be paired with one of the kids, and babysit them, (26 yr-28 yr old).

Mowzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:46 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I shared your sentiment earlier today in Ogopogo's thread. I also said that if things dont change. We should be trading away most of the guys who likely wouldn't be useful in 3 yrs, or whose salaries don't really justify their spots, taking into account that this team will not be a contender for 3 yrs.
Why not? It's not going to take near as long to build a contender in this CBA, why can't EDM be a playoff team next season?

In the old CBA I was a fan of the rebuild concept, and while it certainly never hurts to have a young talented player under contract below value for 3-4 years, in the new CBA I'd be surprised if the standings aren't more volatile, year to year, than they were under the old CBA.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Well Bryan I agree 100% with this. However, I've said this a lot and I'll say it again. IMO a guy to move at the deadline is Horcoff. I think Stoll next year, if he's healthy, can take his spot on the 1st line. I think that Pouliot is looking like he could take 2nd line duties, or I believe a guy that would fit like a glove as the 2nd line centre next year for cheap would be Mike York. I think Reasoner could be the 3rd line centre, and if he doesn't do the job it's a posistion that wouldn't be that hard to fill by next year's trade deadline. Then Brodziak as the 4th line centre(if not switch him and Reasoner with the way Brodziak has preformed this season!). I like Horcoff, but I think he would bring in a really good package of picks and prospects with the way he's playing right now. Stoll and Horc are very simular but I think the majority of us would rather keep Stoll then Horc if it came down to it because of age and salary. But at the same time I don't like moving guys with his work ethic or leadership.....so it's not like I would want to move the guy, I just think that it might be a good time to do it. Because eventually we will need to make room for Pouliot, Schremp, Brodziak and Cogliano and having a little more cap space to take a big run at some UFA d-men this offseason doesn't hurt.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:51 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That means...

Roloson out, and possibly Markkanen too. Signing M. Biron and saving about 1.5 m in net.
Geez Mowzie, I don't know that Biron would be cheaper then Rollie is now. I know he's a backup, but most GM's around the league know that he's very capable as a starter and with him being the 2nd best starter availible in this summers UFA class, I would bet he would get 4 mil from someone like Detroit who was very hot after him last offseason and I think would like to secure a goaltender for the next 3 or 4 years rather then just 1(aka re-sign Hasek for 1 year) IMO Biron isn't an upgrade over Rollie, he's equal to him even in 2 years.

Old
02-20-2007, 01:55 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
I think Stoll next year, if he's healthy, can take his spot on the 1st line. I think that Pouliot is looking like he could take 2nd line duties, or I believe a guy that would fit like a glove as the 2nd line centre next year for cheap would be Mike York.
Unfortunately, that's a huge question mark at this point. Until the Oilers know with more certainty what state his head is at, they're the last team that should be dealing away a top 2 line center.

And a big no thank you to bringing back Mike York. He's been absolute crap this year, at his salary bracket I believe the Oilers can do better if they have to delve into the UFA market.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
Why not? It's not going to take near as long to build a contender in this CBA, why can't EDM be a playoff team next season?

In the old CBA I was a fan of the rebuild concept, and while it certainly never hurts to have a young talented player under contract below value for 3-4 years, in the new CBA I'd be surprised if the standings aren't more volatile, year to year, than they were under the old CBA.
Well keeping in context with them thread. I'm taking into consideration that on deadline day we are basically "Selling" off our assets in exchange for what teams usually give up for rentals, which are prospects and draft picks.

Now, in my example, I traded away Roloson, Markkanen, Smith, Pisani and Sykora. I'm not saying we wouldn't be contenders, but we'd be taking steps in that direction and building for the future. We COULD make the playoffs next year, but if you look at the core of this team, I think it would be 2-3 years before they can make some noise unless they are able to get an elite defenseman somehow.

I think at this point, the Oilers have to many guys playing out of their comfort zone, and I must have said that 30 times this month. We have alot of defenseman playing more than they should, and in situations they in an ideal situation, wouldn't be played in. We have forwards who are underachieving because there isnt enough quality ice time for them. We have defensive forwards being put in offensive roles, and offensive forwards being tried in defensive roles; And to my eyes, it just seems like it will be a few more years until everyone is settled into their roles, considering the relatively young age of our core.

I'm not sure if I even made a point, lol, but whatever.

Old
02-20-2007, 02:06 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Unfortunately, that's a huge question mark at this point. Until the Oilers know with more certainty what state his head is at, they're the last team that should be dealing away a top 2 line center.

And a big no thank you to bringing back Mike York. He's been absolute crap this year, at his salary bracket I believe the Oilers can do better if they have to delve into the UFA market.
That's true if Stoll isn't healthy, but I don't believe he had concussion problems before this season(correct?), but yeah I know if Stoll isn't going to be healthy then by all means Horcoff is staying and should be staying.

I know York's been horrible this year, but he was his old self just last season and he wouldn't cost more then a million to bring back to at least give a shot to. But also in the past two weeks I've floated the idea of giving Philly like a 5th or 6th round pick for him just to bring him back for a "tryout". If he could get his game going then maybe sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal for cheap. I don't think that would hurt anything. One thing for sure is that he fits better here then anywhere else. The entire organization loved the guy.

Old
02-20-2007, 02:07 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Geez Mowzie, I don't know that Biron would be cheaper then Rollie is now. I know he's a backup, but most GM's around the league know that he's very capable as a starter and with him being the 2nd best starter availible in this summers UFA class, I would bet he would get 4 mil from someone like Detroit who was very hot after him last offseason and I think would like to secure a goaltender for the next 3 or 4 years rather then just 1(aka re-sign Hasek for 1 year) IMO Biron isn't an upgrade over Rollie, he's equal to him even in 2 years.
I'd like to think Biron could be attainable for about 3 - 3.5 M. and what's Rolli's salary next season? 4.5?

Anyways, my example's were stricly hypothetical, and not well researched (not like anything I talk about is researched anyways, In grade 8, I had to do an essay on Christoper Columbus, and I talked about how his invention of the roller coaster has been a pillar of American entertainment; but I guess he's some sort of explorer, but not the kind you use to surf the web).

Old
02-20-2007, 02:18 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'd like to think Biron could be attainable for about 3 - 3.5 M. and what's Rolli's salary next season? 4.5?

Anyways, my example's were stricly hypothetical, and not well researched (not like anything I talk about is researched anyways, In grade 8, I had to do an essay on Christoper Columbus, and I talked about how his invention of the roller coaster has been a pillar of American entertainment; but I guess he's some sort of explorer, but not the kind you use to surf the web).
HAHA! I'm with you, if we COULD get Biron for 3-3.5 it would be a better move, but also Rollie's been playoff tested and Biron never has been. The move I would love to do in the offseason that would give us a long term upgrade between the pipes and only cost 1.5 mil more(I think)would be to deal for Turco if some of the stuff they're saying in Dallas is true that they'll look to deal him in the summer. I don't think this has been reported anywhere people, I just know it's been talked about on some different message boards and what not before and if they got the right deal would make a lot of sense. It would take a pretty big package, but if we gave them Rollie, and a forward(maybe Pouliot ) it could be enticing for them to do it. Why Rollie? Because he could split time with Smith for the 1st year and costs less(3.6 on the cap)then Turco does. They'll defintley be interested in a young forward with them losing guys to UFA(namely Lindros and Nagy).

Old
02-20-2007, 02:26 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
HAHA! I'm with you, if we COULD get Biron for 3-3.5 it would be a better move, but also Rollie's been playoff tested and Biron never has been. The move I would love to do in the offseason that would give us a long term upgrade between the pipes and only cost 1.5 mil more(I think)would be to deal for Turco if some of the stuff they're saying in Dallas is true that they'll look to deal him in the summer. I don't think this has been reported anywhere people, I just know it's been talked about on some different message boards and what not before and if they got the right deal would make a lot of sense. It would take a pretty big package, but if we gave them Rollie, and a forward(maybe Pouliot ) it could be enticing for them to do it. Why Rollie? Because he could split time with Smith for the 1st year and costs less(3.6 on the cap)then Turco does. They'll defintley be interested in a young forward with them losing guys to UFA(namely Lindros and Nagy).
I personally dont a trade of that magnitude going down between 2 rivals. Maybe a depth deal, but not your franchise guy; I could be wrong though. If Turco was on the block, I'd think it would be out east, maybe to Tampa for one of their high priced forwards, or FLA for Horton or Jokinen.

Old
02-20-2007, 02:33 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post

Stoll still has PCS, three weeks since he suffered the concussion.

02-20-2007, 02:35 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
That's true if Stoll isn't healthy, but I don't believe he had concussion problems before this season(correct?), but yeah I know if Stoll isn't going to be healthy then by all means Horcoff is staying and should be staying.

I know York's been horrible this year, but he was his old self just last season and he wouldn't cost more then a million to bring back to at least give a shot to. But also in the past two weeks I've floated the idea of giving Philly like a 5th or 6th round pick for him just to bring him back for a "tryout". If he could get his game going then maybe sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal for cheap. I don't think that would hurt anything. One thing for sure is that he fits better here then anywhere else. The entire organization loved the guy.
Stoll also had a concussion in junior.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:41 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
few things:

1)Roli makes a million dollars less next year, so no, it would be retarded to take the risk of trading Roli in the HOPES you can sign Biron knowing it probably wouldn't translate into dollar savings anyways and not knowing if it even represents an upgrade.

2)Moving Horcoff without an overpayment is retarded idea... Nobody was harder on the guy then me during the first third of the season. But even then I was totally against moving him and now he's showing that what he did last year wasn't a complete fluke. Maybe he settles into being a 60 point man? That's fine, you won't find a 60 point centre with his other assets for 3.5 million.

3)The notion of quantity instead of quality is something I've thought of before as well. How do you give everybody the minutes they need to meet the expectations heaved upon them by the coaches, organization, and fans? Two Hemsky's is worth 5 Sykora's.

4)Trading Roli and hoping to go after Biron for the same dollars is retar- oh... covered that one already.

5)Bringing back York is only something to look at if we deplete our forwards while trying to land the 'stud' defenseman. See point 3 as to why I think this way. He is a guy, though, that I would be excited to welcome back if we were short Torres and somebody else...

6)We need to go hard after Jackman, who is an RFA. This guy is under-rated, and with St. Louis' forward situation, we would be excellent trading partners (especially if the Blues resign Brewer).

7)**** Chris Pronger and his destroying KLowe's master strategy....

8)Trading Roli and hoping to go after Biron is reta- oh yeah, sorry, but I just can't believe somebody would actually think seriously enough about that 'hypothetical situation' to type it out....

02-20-2007, 02:49 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26 View Post
few things:

1)Roli makes a million dollars less next year, so no, it would be retarded to take the risk of trading Roli in the HOPES you can sign Biron knowing it probably wouldn't translate into dollar savings anyways and not knowing if it even represents an upgrade.

2)Moving Horcoff without an overpayment is retarded idea... Nobody was harder on the guy then me during the first third of the season. But even then I was totally against moving him and now he's showing that what he did last year wasn't a complete fluke. Maybe he settles into being a 60 point man? That's fine, you won't find a 60 point centre with his other assets for 3.5 million.

3)The notion of quantity instead of quality is something I've thought of before as well. How do you give everybody the minutes they need to meet the expectations heaved upon them by the coaches, organization, and fans? Two Hemsky's is worth 5 Sykora's.

4)Trading Roli and hoping to go after Biron for the same dollars is retar- oh... covered that one already.

5)Bringing back York is only something to look at if we deplete our forwards while trying to land the 'stud' defenseman. See point 3 as to why I think this way. He is a guy, though, that I would be excited to welcome back if we were short Torres and somebody else...

6)We need to go hard after Jackman, who is an RFA. This guy is under-rated, and with St. Louis' forward situation, we would be excellent trading partners (especially if the Blues resign Brewer).

7)**** Chris Pronger and his destroying KLowe's master strategy....

8)Trading Roli and hoping to go after Biron is reta- oh yeah, sorry, but I just can't believe somebody would actually think seriously enough about that 'hypothetical situation' to type it out....
No need to pound my comment so many times, once is more than enough my friend. I didn't know my posts needed to be approved by the board members, NASA, CSA, The United Nations and Sony. I'll be sure to re-read the rules on posting later on.

It was a hypothetical, so I'll re-word it for you...

Trade away an aging goalie who has a relatively high salary considering my post, and not being contenders. In return try to get a younger goalie who is a little bit cheaper and a little bit younger so that he can grow with the core of the team, and allow for a little more cap space so that we can have some extra money to spend in other areas of need.

I didn't propose the damned thing, this is a message board, thinking out loud is far from blasphemy.

Also take into account that I admitted to not doing the research, so when I posted, it was on the grounds that Roloson was making 4.5m and Biron ideally and optomistically could be had for 3 - 3.5 m, and would have been younger and cheaper.

Old
02-20-2007, 02:51 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26 View Post
But Bret I think a lot of guys could put up his OFFENSIVE numbers playing with Smyth and Hemsky. Like if we moved Sykora into that spot I would think Sykora would put up the same numbers. And a healthy Stoll will give you everything that Horcoff does.....but I know it's questionable if he'll be healthy. But you would move him if there was an overpayment? I think both Atlanta and Montreal would be willing to overpay for the guy because he's exactly what there teams need, and Montreal might be desperate enough to give us something like Komisarek + for the guy.

Old
02-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Mr Sakich

if we traded rollie, Biron is not the guy I would go after. Niklas Backstrom is a ufa this summer and I think he is the next great young goalie.

I agree with the original premise that Stoll is ready for 1st line minutes. Pouliot works on the second line if he had 2 elite wingers. The way Mact dishes out ice time to checkers, I could see a line of ethan, map, and pisani getting a lot of minutes. A third line of torres, lupul ,and a ufa centre like handzus, Lang, or Zubrus would make for a decent set of forwards and a lot of money to address ufa dmen.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:36 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
I'm with you, BBO.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 10:59 AM
jadeddog

ive been meaning to make this post for a week or so now.... i hate to say it but ive been cheering against the oilers for the past 3 games now (well kinda anyhow, as much as im capable of cheering against the team i love, lol).... right now we have the 10th and 27th overall picks this year.... but we're only 6 points away from having the 6th overall pick.... if we had say the 6-7th overall and the 26th overall (hoping anaheim slides spot to new jersey), we'll have a pretty decent shot of getting a good player out of this years draft .... and also remember that if we got down to the 6th overall, we would then get the 36th overall pick as well, which is a nice 2nd rounder to have (we got stoll with the 36th overall for instance, albeit that is not representative of what the 36th pick gets a team on average, not by a long shot)

who knows, if we manage to slip a little and grab a higher spot, we might be able to package both our 1sts to grab a top-3 pick in the draft.... and top-3 picks are usually sure-fire good players

as i was writing this post i was looking at the past 10-12 draft classes, concentrating on the top 10 spots, trying to see what type of player we are likely to get with a 3rd, 6th or 10th overall pick.... i was really shocked to see the HUGE dropoff after the 3rd-4th picks in the draft.... the difference between the 3rd overall and the 7th overall is MASSIVE, much, much larger than i realized beforehand .... its hard to find a "bust" in the past 10 drafts that was picked at #3, but its much easier at #7... here are the past 10 picks at both positions, you'll notice that there are some decents picks with #7 (suter, mara, lupul) but with #3 you get some very good players (jokinen, gaborik, bouwmeester, h. sedin, stuart)

jokinen, stuart, h. sedin, gaborik, svitov, bouwmeester, horton, barker, johnson, toews

mara, malhotra, beech, jonsson, komisarek, lulup, suter, olesz, skille, okposo

those two lists arent even *close* to being similar.... i think if we drop a couple more spots and anaheim drops another spot, this might be the year for lowe to deal both 1st rounders and the 2nd rounder to try and grab a top-3 pick.... we have lots of "assets" (and will likely have more by this tiem next week), so why not try and cash some of them in and grab an impact player in this years draft?

Last edited by jadeddog: 02-20-2007 at 11:10 AM.
jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:03 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Here's my list of guys that I'd be looking to move...

Smyth (if he wants too much) he'd be our biggest asset on my list by a mile

Smith (Signed for 1 more season, IMO won't be a key contributor in 2-3 seasons when this team will lilley be at its best)

Sykora (A guy that could get us a top 2 round draft pick or possibly a skilled forward prospect that could step in next season or the one after)

Roloson (Again he will not be very effective come 2-3 seasons down the road, may as well deal him as long as we can get a sizeable return out of him, if not then just bite the bullet and keep him)

Markannen (Back-up that nearly lead his team to win the Cup in a tough seven game series last year, should have a much higher than usual trade value for a regular back-up, if Roli is traded he should be kept)

Lupul or Torres (If they can help to fetch us some legit star talent in a package deal, it should be done)

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
who knows, if we manage to slip a little and grab a higher spot, we might be able to package both our 1sts to grab a top-3 pick in the draft.... and top-3 picks are usually sure-fire good players
That IMO would be the best that we could hope for, and it would be a great moment for the future of the Oilers IMO.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
That IMO would be the best that we could hope for, and it would be a great moment for the future of the Oilers IMO.
But this years draft is a crap shoot for Top 3 players. Supposedly there is no sure-fire Top pairing D-man, and deep with alot of lesser guys, but still capable guys. I dunno about you, but i'd rather make it to the playoffs and try to get the cup, then just pick solid players of the ridiculously deep draft. I don't think we should do this, and big time. We're IMO, are in prime position to win. Sign 2 D-man in the offseason, 1 top-pairing D-man, and 1 3-6 D-man, and we're set IMO. Our prospect pool is deep, and our core is young-ish and skilled, i doubt tanking one season will help, rather playoff experience will help much more. Look at it this way:

SHH
TSP
XXXX-MAP-L
M-R-S
B

XXXX-S
XXXX-S
H-G
S

R
JDD

Three gaps, thats all, all but the #1 D-man can be filled quite easily, i honestly believe tanking wont help one bit, neither in the present or the future... significantly that is..

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote