HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rehash OTT/edm

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
Rehash OTT/edm

With the oil Struggling mightily right now and needing a facelift I suggest this deal to help OTT and EDM pull out of funks.

Smyth to Ott for Philips Emery and a 2nd.

The oil need a goilie of the futre to replace Salo and a solid number one d-man and this deal provides both elements. The Sens have some depth on the Blue line and need a gritty scoring 1st line leftwinger and this deal provideds that for them.

I will get chewed by oielr fans for this, but i think this is just the sort of deal we need to make to get us back in the race in the west.

Old
12-09-2003, 09:02 PM
st_roland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
With the oil Struggling mightily right now and needing a facelift I suggest this deal to help OTT and EDM pull out of funks.

The oil need a goilie of the futre to replace Salo and a solid number one d-man and this deal provides both elements. The Sens have some depth on the Blue line and need a gritty scoring 1st line leftwinger and this deal provideds that for them.

I will get chewed by oielr fans for this, but i think this is just the sort of deal we need to make to get us back in the race in the west.

Hmm. I disagree that Phillips is a #1 D-man. I'd say hes a strong #3, but the deal works for both teams. I approve.

Old
12-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1

not bad, but being picky, make it a 3rd....of edmonton would add a grinder/depth d-man(Greene?)

Old
12-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
not bad, but being picky, make it a 3rd....of edmonton would add a grinder/depth d-man(Greene?)
I had no idea they could trade players off Calgary's roster in that case

To Ottawa
Iginla, Leopold, Donovan, Rhino, and Lydman

To edmonton

Havlat, Hossa and Emery.

Works out good for both teams.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison
I had no idea they could trade players off Calgary's roster in that case
I'm pretty sure he meant our prospect Matthew Greene.. likewise, Calgary's former Oiler is Josh Green minus the "e" on the end.. try not to use sarcasm unless you're sure it's appropriate In any event, the Oilers are not going to trade Smyth so this is a moot point.. we just convinced him to sign for less because he loves the city, it would be organizational suicide to in turn trade him away now! He has 4 points in 2 games as well, he's starting to pick it up.. the facelift the Oilers will get will come from the Comrie trade, not from moving Smyth. I disagree with the assessment that Phillips is a "solid number one" d-man as well.. while acquiring him would be nice, I wouldn't at the expense of Smyth.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
right now Doug Lynch and Matt Greene are the top defensemen prospects for Edmonton, yeah it sucks i klnow.
I don't see Lowe trading Greene at all right now

my opinion: seeing as the 3rd pick would low enough in the 100's, why add someone like Matt Greene who picked 44th overall, makes no sense to me

Old
12-10-2003, 04:10 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

The oilers have their next number one in QMJL JS Deslairies Misspelled, any way, he is one of the best young goalie out there, so I do not think that the oilers will be lining up for more netminders right now

Old
12-10-2003, 04:27 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
The oilers have their next number one in QMJL JS Deslairies Misspelled, any way, he is one of the best young goalie out there, so I do not think that the oilers will be lining up for more netminders right now
a. It's never bad to have too much depth in goal, and the Oilers don't have ANY past Delauriers
b. At season's end, I don't see Salo being qualified, which leaves EDM with Conklin and Valiquette in EDM, with Delauriers taking the dutties in Toronto. Conklin/Valiquette is not a NHL quality tandem (remember the days of Shtalenkov as part of our tandem? Those were not good years. This team definatly needs to acquire a goalie (although, not likely until the summer).

If EDM doesn't acquire a young guy like Emery, then there is a distinct possibility that one of Noronen, Biron, Hedberg, etc. becomes an Oiler, either through trade or free agency.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:00 AM
officeglen

You would think before the Oil move Smyth or Smith, they will make a Comrie deal and see how that changes the team. In that light, I counterpropose the following exchange:

Edmonton: For those that want Georges Laraque thread
Ottawa: 2003/2004 Ladies of the Devils Board thread

Just trying to give the fans of each team what they want.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:30 AM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
You would think before the Oil move Smyth or Smith, they will make a Comrie deal and see how that changes the team. In that light, I counterpropose the following exchange:

Edmonton: For those that want Georges Laraque thread
Ottawa: 2003/2004 Ladies of the Devils Board thread

Just trying to give the fans of each team what they want.
I'd throw in Hossa (the player) too for some of the ladies on the Devil's board thread....mmmmm. Good work officeglen.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
You would think before the Oil move Smyth or Smith, they will make a Comrie deal and see how that changes the team.
With all sources considered, it looks like the Comrie deal will not affect the current roster. Corey Perry and a 1st hardly supplements any immediate help.

And why does Edmonton have to trade Smyth? What's with all these proposals with him? The Greasers got him dirt cheap this year, and he does nothing but help the team out with his leadership and point-scoring abilities.

And oh yeah, I don't like the original deal from Edmonton's perspective. They have Deslauriers, so there is no need for Emery. Phillips would be nice, but a 2nd is not necessary, especially when you can get back a more marquee player for a Ryan Smyth type.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:30 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
How about this one?

To Ottawa:

F Jeff O'Neill
LW Jaroslav Svoboda

To Carolina:

F Martin Havlat
2nd Round Pick 2004

I think Carolina could stand to get a little younger and shake this team up as well. How does this one look?

Old
12-10-2003, 08:38 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
How about this one?

To Ottawa:

F Jeff O'Neill
LW Jaroslav Svoboda

To Carolina:

F Martin Havlat
2nd Round Pick 2004

I think Carolina could stand to get a little younger and shake this team up as well. How does this one look?
ouch! no thanks...

Old
12-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
ouch! no thanks...
Why is that one so bad? Is it all salary or do you think the value is unfair?

Old
12-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
How about this one?

To Ottawa:

F Jeff O'Neill
LW Jaroslav Svoboda

To Carolina:

F Martin Havlat
2nd Round Pick 2004

Only way I can see this as a no-go is a) O'Neill's salary - Ottawa can't afford it, and b) does Ottawa really need Svoboda at this point?

Other than that, an excellent proposal value-wise, IMO. Good job, Caniacforever.

Old
12-10-2003, 09:03 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
Only way I can see this as a no-go is a) O'Neill's salary - Ottawa can't afford it, and b) does Ottawa really need Svoboda at this point?

Other than that, an excellent proposal value-wise, IMO. Good job, Caniacforever.
Well, I figured that Value-wise this one was pretty fair but I knew that salary might be a sticking point.

Jaro Svoboda is a player that I think could do well with a change of environment. He is going to one day develop into a very responsible defensive player with fantastic hands and some scoring touch. He already plays a very sound defensive game and I think that Ottawa could use his skills to round out their forwards. Carolina is pretty much in the process of rebuilding and that 2nd rounder (since ottawa is so good, it might as well be an early 3rd rounder) would help them add another quality prospect to the fold.

Just an idea. But thanks for the assesment.

Old
12-10-2003, 09:04 AM
SensGod

Quote:
Why is that one so bad? Is it all salary or do you think the value is unfair?
Not at all...the value is very fair and it's a good proposal.

Ottawa needs a young/inexpensive LW who can put up 60+ points and be a gritty/powerforwardesque player...

O'Neill is too old, too expensive and has shown the last few years that his heart isn't in it and he's been prone.

I just don't find him all that attractive in a trade that would involve Havlat.

Old
12-10-2003, 09:04 AM
BrianBurke

[QUOTE=Ozy_Flame]And why does Edmonton have to trade Smyth? What's with all these proposals with him? The Greasers got him dirt cheap this year, and he does nothing but help the team out with his leadership and point-scoring abilities.QUOTE]

I'm kind of trying to figure that out too... it seems very odd. It's a given that Comrie is gone. So that's one scoring forward out the door. If you trade Smyth for a d-man and a goalie, that's two scoring forwards out the door.
Their offense is already a little anemic (might be an understatement).

So my question would be... who's going to score goals for the Oil, Ty Conklin?

Old
12-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Not at all...the value is very fair and it's a good proposal.

Ottawa needs a young/inexpensive LW who can put up 60+ points and be a gritty/powerforwardesque player...

O'Neill is too old, too expensive and has shown the last few years that his heart isn't in it and he's been prone.

I just don't find him all that attractive in a trade that would involve Havlat.
1999-00 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 80 25 38 63
2000-01 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 41 26 67
2001-02 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 76 31 33 64
2002-03 Carolina Hurricanes NHL 82 30 31 61

On a defensive-trap style team like Carolina, I hardly call those numbers prone. While I respect the fact that you wouldn't care to move Havlat in a deal like this, I really think O'Neill has proven himself to be a very productive winger on this level for a long time and he's only 27 years old. In terms of professional hockey careers, he still has 5 or 6 good years left at the very least.

With all due respect as well, you pretty much just described the thing that every team in the league needs. I mean, I don't think you can honestly have enough young and inexpensive 60 point players on your team. It's just not realistic that you come across them and I think O'Neill would be a more realistic fit for the Sens. He's a gritty, leftwinger. He's fairly young. He's locked up in a contract past this season, and he's probably due for a huge breakout season if he had his chance to play on a more offensive minded team like the Sens.

4-straight 25+ goal seasons isn't an easy thing to accomplish in this league, and I think if he had some supporting cast he would be even more productive.

As for how Havlat fits with Carolina, he's pretty much exactly what we're looking for. He's a responsible defensive player while maintaining a certain level of offensive productivity. Maurice would drool over a kid like this. I just think this would be an awesome chance for both teams. Ottawa would put themselves over the top with another high quality all-star winger like O'Neill and Carolina would put themselves in position to contend in the future with a top-shelf winger to pair with Eric Staal.

Old
12-10-2003, 12:14 PM
r19

wat bout'
vermette+schastlivy=ron francis
smolinski=francis

Francis would help us win some face-offs at key times,which by the way is last in the league,he would add experience.He can also play lw!

Old
12-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by r19
wat bout'
vermette+schastlivy=ron francis
smolinski=francis

Francis would help us win some face-offs at key times,which by the way is last in the league,he would add experience.He can also play lw!
As much as i'd love a shot at Schastilivy, we're going to have to keep Ron Francis. Sometimes, there is more than meets the eye when dealing with veteran players. If we traded away Ron Francis, again, we would lose any chance we had of him taking a front office position with the franchise after his playing days are over. We made this mistake with Kevin Dineen and we corrected it with Jeff Daniels. Now, we're going to continue the trend with Francis. Thanks, it's tempting, but no thanks.

Old
12-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Chayos

[QUOTE=BrianBurke]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
And why does Edmonton have to trade Smyth? What's with all these proposals with him? The Greasers got him dirt cheap this year, and he does nothing but help the team out with his leadership and point-scoring abilities.QUOTE]

I'm kind of trying to figure that out too... it seems very odd. It's a given that Comrie is gone. So that's one scoring forward out the door. If you trade Smyth for a d-man and a goalie, that's two scoring forwards out the door.
Their offense is already a little anemic (might be an understatement).

So my question would be... who's going to score goals for the Oil, Ty Conklin?
Actually scoring isn't eh problem so much as keeping the puck out of our own net. We need to upgrade the D and improve the PK which Phillips helps us with. We currently have Smyth, York, Izzy and Torres as potential scoring left wingers and could afford to move one of them. York plays all three positions o he is a keep and izzzy has no vlaue so it leaves Torres and Smyth as potential trade bait. Snyth makess 3.5 million and would draw the best return so he is the obvious choice.

Old
12-10-2003, 02:44 PM
SensGod

Quote:
As much as i'd love a shot at Schastilivy, we're going to have to keep Ron Francis. Sometimes, there is more than meets the eye when dealing with veteran players. If we traded away Ron Francis, again, we would lose any chance we had of him taking a front office position with the franchise after his playing days are over. We made this mistake with Kevin Dineen and we corrected it with Jeff Daniels. Now, we're going to continue the trend with Francis. Thanks, it's tempting, but no thanks.
Need not worry...Vermette wont' be going anywhere...especially not for a player who'll probably retire after this season.

Old
12-10-2003, 02:49 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
Quote:
This deal makes little sense for Edmonton in the first place. Their goalie of the future is already in place with Jeff Delauriers, and Philips doesn't even play defense full time. This for a first line gritty left winger. But to throw in Greene would be ludicrous. He is a up and coming tough D-man who the Oilers really have high hopes for. A solid Rod Langway type bruiser. To think that the Sens should get more than the original deal quoted here is totally wishful thinking. Throw in Marian Hossa and we'll talk. Of course we all have dreams

Old
12-10-2003, 04:06 PM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLinsemanFanClub
...Philips doesn't even play defense full time...
HUH?

Do you realize we're talking about Chris Phillips here eh?

Closed Thread