HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's time for Gainey to talk

Old
02-19-2007, 12:55 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

vCash: 500
It's time for Gainey to talk

We can go back to the Brisebois incident ( the Yellow Gutless Chapter as I call it ), all the way to last years decision to trade Theo... Gainey although always quiet about his intentions, has always kept the fans and Media informed on the team's position going into the playoffs.

Gainey has always been pretty vocal about his teams and ways of improving them, in Dallas he was often featured on KDFI talking about the team, but has kept quiet this year during one of the longest losing stretches of the modern Habs ( worst skid since 2000 )

I know Montreal is littered with Backseat GM's who think they know everything and see everything coming ... but I don't think it's unreasonable to have him or assistant GM Pierre Gauthier to brief the media and the fans on what their intentions are ( They did this last year ) heading into the playoffs.

Every single team in the NHL has done this from Ken Holland to Garth Snow, fans and Media have a clear idea of what the team is trying to do to secure a berth in the offseason or to get to the Cup ...

It kind of makes you think though, the last time we heard of any activity in the GM's office , was Pierre Boivin calling in everyone to ask : What in Newsy Lalonde's teeth is going on ???
When some media tried to accost Gainey at the Bell Centre last week, they were quickly dismissed and told :

When the GM, will have something to announce, he'll let you know ...

Gainey hasn't been present in the locker this year, is it out of respect for Carbo ? Samsonov who was his choice as a free agent signing this year, didn't speak to Gainey since his signing ... is that normal ?

Alot of questions un-answered ...

Last year by this time, we had seen the acquisition of elements such as Aaron Downey and Defenceman Todd Simpson as well as David Aebsicher, this gave the Habs a sense of certainty and a bit more depth heading into the playoffs ... even though they had gone through a tremendous mid-season slump ...

In my opinion, the fans are more than worried about their team, and in the Mecca of hockey ... it's time for Gainey to talk.

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Darz

Great, well thought out, post.

I gotta say, I agree with you 100%. This would be a perfect time for Gainey to take the attention away from the players and coaches for awhile, with some sort of statement(s) to keep the wolves busy while the players and coaches try to salvage the season.

02-19-2007, 12:59 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Gainey never tips his hand.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

I'll judge him on what he does not what he says. He better be spending his time talking to other GM's instead of attention-starved journalists and desperate fans.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't think Gainey has to tip his hand about anything, just make some sort of statements that take the focus away from others. Gainey has an incredible talent at saying a bunch of stuff without really saying anything concret or tipping his hand in any way (Ken Dryden must of taught him this skill).

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:14 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

I am not denying the fact that this has been a trying year for Gainey marred with his daughter's dissapearance and ( during the summer ) a difficult offseason.

I don't think Gainey should tip his hand to us, and yes, he should be judged by what he does, moreso than what he says ;

but In pretty much 20 years ( I've been following hockey since the age of 5 )

I've never seen a GM let '' Panic '' set in, wether with the players, the media and the Fans.

This is mainly what I am dissapointed of, is that Panic has set in at all levels ...

Old
02-19-2007, 01:35 PM
BORAT

GREAT Read !

I agree, but I guess we don'T really know how affected Gainey is right now by his daughter's loss

Rumours have it '' apparently '' we're into Robert Esche ...

I'm not ...

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:43 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Thanks Borat ... just the thought of it ... Esche ....

God ...

does that mean Halak has to give up number 41 ?

Old
02-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Great, great post. I totally agree with you, especially after his refusal to talk to the media the other day. I can only speak for myself, but I, as a season ticket holder and one of those 21,273 fans that the Canadiens thank game in and game out, feel like I'm worried about the team and deserve to know what is going on with the team and what the plan is to make the playoffs. It is not like we're stock holders and he HAS to let us know, it is more like we are his bread and butter and he should take some time for us, out of respect to the fans. That's the "thank you" I need.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:55 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
He'll speak February 27th...

Can't you just wait and understand that right now it's not wise to speak about his plan.

Nothing to say. No need for a press conference.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Blades 0f Steel

In regards with what happened over Christmas, I really believe Boivin is urging Gainey not to speak to the media. I doubt we'll even hear from him on Deadline day.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 02:07 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
In regards with what happened over Christmas, I really believe Boivin is urging Gainey not to speak to the media. I doubt we'll even hear from him on Deadline day.
very interesting hypothesis, I was thinking along the same lines because recently I know that Alain Gauthier has been taking alot of flack for not allowing certain people ( media related ) from talking to Bob on Boivin's instructions.

I have no clue why though ...

Old
02-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Subban Fan

François Gagnon wrote today on cyberpresse.ca...

"J’ai croisé Bob Gainey dans le salon Jacques Beauchamp à la fin du match de samedi. Il regardait son club se faire plumer en prenant quelques gorgées de bière et en échangeant des courriels sur son blackberry. Il m’a salué et m’a dit que ce n’est pas parce qu’il est silencieux qu’il ne fait rien."

"I saw Bob Gainey in the living room Jacques Beauchamp at the end of Saturday' game. He was looking at its club being destroyed by taking some beer mouthfuls and by exchanging courriels on its blackberry. He greeted me and said to me that it is not because he was quiet that it means that he doesnt do anything."

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 02:19 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Great, well thought out, post.

I gotta say, I agree with you 100%. This would be a perfect time for Gainey to take the attention away from the players and coaches for awhile, with some sort of statement(s) to keep the wolves busy while the players and coaches try to salvage the season.
What can you say to deflect fair criticism? If it were a single player (like in the Brisebois case) who was bearing the brunt of the media/fan's displeasure, then you could step in. In this case, wouldn't you be letting the team (this is a collective collapse) off the hook. It's one thing to protect the team but not at the expense of accountability.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 02:24 PM
ti-vite

Excellent post. True.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 02:39 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
What can you say to deflect fair criticism? If it were a single player (like in the Brisebois case) who was bearing the brunt of the media/fan's displeasure, then you could step in. In this case, wouldn't you be letting the team (this is a collective collapse) off the hook. It's one thing to protect the team but not at the expense of accountability.
I understand, but weirdly enough I can't help but wonder ...

If this team misses the playoff, who will be accountable ? are we going to accuse the players again ( leading more of them to say ... uh crap, I'm out of here ... ) Are we going to fire the coach again ?

I think Scotty Bowman once said :

Good GM's are like cats, they're slick, pretty sneaky, clean and composed and always know how to get what they want ... oh yes and they have 9 lives ...

Gainey has only used a couple ...

Old
02-19-2007, 02:56 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
From my experience Gainey has always tipped his hand since coming to MTL. He has always been up front about what the team's needs are and what is he looking for. He has always said enough to give people an idea, but never the whole picture.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 02:57 PM
Evil Ted

Gainey has had a stressful year on and off the ice, if he doesnt come out and address the state of the team I wouldnt be surprised nor disapointed.

People need to give him a break hes had a rough go of it.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:01 PM
BLONG7

I think most fans would like for BG to talk to the media more, especially during the tough times, like our recent slump, but what is he going to say? We stink??? BG is definitely one of those guys who never gets too high when things are good, and not too low when things are bad...and if does do these things, he would never let on that's for sure...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:12 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Gainey has had a stressful year on and off the ice, if he doesnt come out and address the state of the team I wouldnt be surprised nor disapointed.

People need to give him a break hes had a rough go of it.
I agree, and I cheer even more with Gainey as our GM.

Cap

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I'm not saying Gainey should try and deflect any blame away from the players or coaches, I'm saying just say enough stuff that all the writers and fans will pay attention and write about what you have to say instead of how crappy the different players or coaches are as of late.

I'm not 100% sure what he should say.....but maybe answer some questions with the vaguest of answers. For example....

Member of press: Will the Montreal Canadiens be buyers or sellers leading up to the trade deadline.

Gainey: Of course, we will be listening to any and all offers made to us by other teams, and we also have been, and will continue to inquire about various players. If we can find a deal that we feel can help us in the short term without morgaging our future, we will defiantely give it serious thought. We will also consider any deal that we feel can help us in the near future as well. Right now, we feel that we should have an eye on the present club, but still keep an eye on our future.

Crap like that. Stuff that really doesn't tip his hat one way or another, but enough words that it keeps the media busy.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
I'm not saying Gainey should try and deflect any blame away from the players or coaches, I'm saying just say enough stuff that all the writers and fans will pay attention and write about what you have to say instead of how crappy the different players or coaches are as of late.

I'm not 100% sure what he should say.....but maybe answer some questions with the vaguest of answers. For example....

Member of press: Will the Montreal Canadiens be buyers or sellers leading up to the trade deadline.

Gainey: Of course, we will be listening to any and all offers made to us by other teams, and we also have been, and will continue to inquire about various players. If we can find a deal that we feel can help us in the short term without morgaging our future, we will defiantely give it serious thought. We will also consider any deal that we feel can help us in the near future as well. Right now, we feel that we should have an eye on the present club, but still keep an eye on our future.

Crap like that. Stuff that really doesn't tip his hat one way or another, but enough words that it keeps the media busy.
But what's the point of that? Really? I actually prefer it that he commands attention when he speaks rather than listening to the paragraph above that we could all write in our sleep.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:18 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post
I understand, but weirdly enough I can't help but wonder ...

If this team misses the playoff, who will be accountable ? are we going to accuse the players again ( leading more of them to say ... uh crap, I'm out of here ... ) Are we going to fire the coach again ?

I think Scotty Bowman once said :

Good GM's are like cats, they're slick, pretty sneaky, clean and composed and always know how to get what they want ... oh yes and they have 9 lives ...

Gainey has only used a couple ...
lol ... Gainey at next years Halloween

http://www.escapade.co.uk/ProductIma..._Sylvester.jpg

Old
02-19-2007, 03:20 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
But what's the point of that? Really? I actually prefer it that he commands attention when he speaks rather than listening to the paragraph above that we could all write in our sleep.
We need to know that BOB is in '' Control '' Baby !!!

Old
02-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Habitant#1

The more time Gainey spends talking the less time he's spending fixing the team.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote