HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did we lose too many leaders?

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 08:50 PM
Hemsky4PM

vCash: 500
Did we lose too many leaders?

The biggest problem the Oilers have right now: Youth. There has been huge turnover the last few years with the team. I can't help but feel we lost some of the edgy players we used to have. The guys with hands of stone (often) but hearts of gold. Guys who cared more about winning than anything else. I'm not saying these guys were great players, but they were gritty, they put their bodies on the line and had a knack for picking up the teams energy in a lull like the one right now.

Murray, Grier, Marchant, Bucky and even, with a fight, Brown. And lets not forget the BEST leader (and overall player) this team has had since Gretz and Mess...Doug Weight.

We had some other unsung guys during our improbable playoff wins in 97 and 98. Guys like Zelepukin, Lingren, Marchment and so on.

Chimera, Torres, Stoll, Horcoff, and Laraque. These are the guys that are, to my mind, showing a big lack of intensity right now. Maybe one day some, like Stoll for sure, will be good leaders. But they are young (for the most part) and we are left with only Moreau, Smith, Staios and Smyth as long-time oilers that have a genuine appreciation of the fact they ARE Oilers.

I still say this team has the talent to make the playoffs. We need a defenseman and we need the coaches to change a bit, not necessarily a change of coaches. MacT and the gang have the ability to swallow their pride and adjust their style to get the best out of this team. If they don't we'll continue to struggle.

Old
12-09-2003, 08:55 PM
bfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
The biggest problem the Oilers have right now: Youth. There has been huge turnover the last few years with the team. I can't help but feel we lost some of the edgy players we used to have. The guys with hands of stone (often) but hearts of gold. Guys who cared more about winning than anything else. I'm not saying these guys were great players, but they were gritty, they put their bodies on the line and had a knack for picking up the teams energy in a lull like the one right now.

Murray, Grier, Marchant, Bucky and even, with a fight, Brown. And lets not forget the BEST leader (and overall player) this team has had since Gretz and Mess...Doug Weight.

We had some other unsung guys during our improbable playoff wins in 97 and 98. Guys like Zelepukin, Lingren, Marchment and so on.
Something interesting tonight from CFRN news. The Oilers are the 9th youngest team in the league, a full 2 years older than the Florida Panthers who are the youngest.

Staios, Smith, Smyth, Moreau, Cross, Oates

There's plenty of leadership in that group, they need to get the rest of the team going.

Old
12-09-2003, 08:59 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it

vCash: 1072
once we added oates that bumped up our average age quite a bit.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

heart is not measured by age, just because the Oil are a young team, doesnt give them an excuse to play without heart, grit, detirmination etc. heart is something that a 18 yr old and a 41 yr old both should have. being a young team should not be dwelled on, being a team that lacks heart is where I worry.

Closed Thread