ESPN's Burnside: Time for Waddell to make a big move

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...t&lid=tab4pos1

toph2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:29 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
This isn't exactly the biggest secret in the league. Nice to see it in print though.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:50 PM
toph2o

Exactly, and seeing things like "the Thrashers have won just three games in regulation in their last 22" and "One GM told ESPN.com that Belanger, now with his fourth team since the end of last season, is a good guy and a good fourth-line center too inconsistent to be a good third-line center. And, sadly, the Thrashers are chock-a-block with third-line players" and " if that's his idea of a slide-stopping move, then it's far too little" really drives the point home.

Old
02-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

It's a bit of a worry that everyone knows he has to make a move.. I have a feeling they'll have a special price for Don set above what they might have for other GM's.

The other thing I'm worried about is if we lose the next three games and suddenly find ourselves in 9th, DW might not make a move at all (using the same reason as last year; it's too risky to trade for a rental when you're not even assured of a playoff spot).

Amen evil king is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Lux Aurumque*

This much has been obvious for over 2 months.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:02 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
This much has been obvious for over 2 months.
agreed

Since January this team has struggled. More than likely its that "shock" factor of actually seeing Hossa perform to his potential.

My personal opinion...both him and Kovi can't be scorers like they are trying to do, the other gets hurt. Hossa was leading the league in goals until they started throwing the puck more to Kovi, and now hes right up there as well. They are trying to balance them out with shots. Thoughts??

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:22 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1PWR View Post
agreed

Since January this team has struggled. More than likely its that "shock" factor of actually seeing Hossa perform to his potential.

My personal opinion...both him and Kovi can't be scorers like they are trying to do, the other gets hurt. Hossa was leading the league in goals until they started throwing the puck more to Kovi, and now hes right up there as well. They are trying to balance them out with shots. Thoughts??
No, they are on separate lines and shoot when they feel like it IMHO... Kovalchuk is just a very streaky player from game to game as his confidence rises and falls so does his pass to shot ratio.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 06:21 PM

My biggest knock against Waddell is that he never tried to build around Kovalchuk. Mellanby, Rucchin, Metro, and Sim? Come on...

#37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Fravashis

I think the stakes are higher than this article reads actually. I think if we somehow manage to have one of the worst tank jobs in recent memory and miss the playofffs, there is going to be a huge shake up. Waddell and all his staff will be gone, Hartley and his coaching staff will be gone. Everyone. I think the next 5 days before the trade deadline will really show whether Waddell is willing to pull the trigger on helping our team now, or is still clinging to prospects that wont help us in our run this year.

Fravashis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:17 AM
DetroitThrasher

At this point, I'm absolutely furious with Waddell's refusal to help this team. I'm tired of his, "won't mortgage the future for a quick fix" garbage, when his fantastic future never materializes into the playoffs present.

Waddell lacks the creativity and cojones needed to be a competent GM. Is this guy too frightened to make a move? Obviously, playing-it-safe (yet again) only takes you so far.

As much as I enjoy having my face perenially pressed against the glass, just once I'd like to get into that arena for a playoff series. I imagine it's a helluva lot more exciting from that vantage point.

Thanks for letting a lurker vent... d@mn, d@mn, d@mn!

DetroitThrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 08:39 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I wonder how much the prospects or picks that DW has saved by being "savy" will be worth to him if this team misses the playoffs.

It really is disapointing that Don Waddell sat by and did basically nothing for the entire season to improve the team.

Of course Don Waddell will be fired if the team fails to make the playoffs. But what happens to the franchise if that happens? Could see a disasterous plummeting of the season ticket holder base, couple that with a very shaky ownership situation and the results could be dire.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 09:50 AM
toph2o

Maybe it's all part of a grand conspiracy to ruin the franchise in Atlanta and move them to Canada...

Old
02-23-2007, 12:08 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by toph2o View Post
Maybe it's all part of a grand conspiracy to ruin the franchise in Atlanta and move them to Canada...
Thunder Bay Thrashers has a nice ring to it.

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
Thunder Bay Thrashers has a nice ring to it.
I prefer St. Albert Thrashers, then I can go watch them

Old
02-23-2007, 07:50 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
I prefer St. Albert Thrashers, then I can go watch them
cool avatar!

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 08:35 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
man i sure hope the thrashers turn things around im gonna hate if i dont see the rangers and thrashers in the playoffs but hard thing to say is who would you like to see brought in for this team

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadadaimhollaing View Post
man i sure hope the thrashers turn things around im gonna hate if i dont see the rangers and thrashers in the playoffs but hard thing to say is who would you like to see brought in for this team
Brent Sopel, Bryan Smolinski, one more defenseman and one more center.

I'd like to see Kapanen, Rucchin, Holik, Boulton, Mellanby, Sutton, Havelid, Hnidy, Hartley, and his entire coaching staff shipped out...but its just a pipe dream

Old
02-24-2007, 07:15 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
No, they are on separate lines and shoot when they feel like it IMHO... Kovalchuk is just a very streaky player from game to game as his confidence rises and falls so does his pass to shot ratio.
They are on different lines during EV, but PP they play together and that is where they are hurting. I would have to peek back at stats, but prior to X-mas they were scoring on practically every PP they got. Kozlov, Hossa, Kovi were getting hat tricks left and right that it didn't matter how many the netminders were letting in.

I still feel other teams know how they tick now, it isn't a surprise that now teams know how to defend against them. I've never really seen ATL as a defensive minded team, all their power is in their forwards.

Old
02-24-2007, 07:16 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph2o View Post
Portland sounds a whole lot better