HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bring Someone Up already!

Old
02-20-2007, 11:47 AM
JamesG1221

vCash: 500
Bring Someone Up already!

Does it irritate anyone else that no one has been called up to replace Shanny? This has to be more decision making due to Schonnfield(sp) input. Callahan has cooled off and Immonen and Dawes haven't been able to contribute as much offensively this year so suddenly no one is NHL ready during the home stretch- guarantee you that's similar to their view on the matter.

All I know is I for one don't think that dressing Colton Orr and moving Prucha into Shanny's spot is something I can stomach during a home and home with NJ. They get swept on this home and home and it'll just be more trade talk..How bout this: Make an effort that doesn't involve trading for some old fart for once. roll the dice for pete sake and put some responsibility to do something good on the shoulders of someone other then a mediocre vet around the trade deadline for once before the year 2100. Comments?

Last edited by JamesG1221: 02-20-2007 at 11:59 AM.
JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 11:59 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Colton Orr will dress tonight to diffuse Janssen. It "worked" last game so Renney is going to do it again. I think it had more to do with Avery being in the lineup and all the attention was on him. I hope its the same case tonight.

They still have Krog and Pock (if Malik goes) as reserves if anyone takes a puck in warmups, so at least they are there so there wont be a short bench.

Quote:
Still no word on the Rangers calling up anyone from Hartford, which is surprising only to a point. With Petr Prucha subbing in for Brendan Shanahan at second line right wing, Tom Renney and Co. likely don’t see the point in calling up a Ryan Callahan just to play three minutes on the fourth line.

Plus, Renney liked the way Colton Orr served as a deterrent to Cam Janssen in the last meeting between the teams, so he likely wouldn’t have time for anyone else anyway.

Theres your answer.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

Are you suggesting they bring up Jessiman?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Larry Melnyk

Although I think it's a total crock about Orr diffusing or deterring Janssens or anybody(the nature of the game might do it), doesn't really make sense to call up Callahan (the only forward deserving of a recall) for maybe 5 minutes in Orr of Hollweg's place...And, as others have said, we still have the Kroginator...maybe something gets done within a week, depending on which trades are made, if any..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 12:33 PM
JamesG1221

Are you suggesting they bring up Jessiman? [/QUOTE]

LMAO...not quite..

Old
02-20-2007, 12:37 PM
JamesG1221

[QUOTE=Larry Melnyk;8151472]Although I think it's a total crock about Orr diffusing or deterring Janssens or anybody(the nature of the game might do it), doesn't really make sense to call up Callahan (the only forward deserving of a recall) for maybe 5 minutes in Orr of Hollweg's place...

But that's just it. Why should there be a set spot or set amount of ice time for the kid who currently possesses the most potential in their system? How about they promote him, slide him into a top 6 spot which is what needs to be filled and let him go full throttle? AND THEN if it doesn't work out you say 'well, he can't contribute what we need so he can't really be more then a fourth liner at this point in time'..then you decide that 5 minutes a night isn't worth it for him and try another option..

Old
02-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG1221 View Post
But that's just it. Why should there be a set spot or set amount of ice time for the kid who currently possesses the most potential in their system? How about they promote him, slide him into a top 6 spot which is what needs to be filled and let him go full throttle? AND THEN if it doesn't work out you say 'well, he can't contribute what we need so he can't really be more then a fourth liner at this point in time'..then you decide that 5 minutes a night isn't worth it for him and try another option..
With Shanny out, our top 6 forwards are Jagr, Straka, Hossa, Nylander, Avery, and Prucha. Who gets knocked down to the 4th line so Callahan can get a shot? Bear in mind that every point in crucial right now. It's easy to say he deserves a shot at a top 6 role, but it's hard to find a spot for him.

I'd like to see some youth, but all that's open right now is the 4th line RW spot. Krog and Orr can fill that for now while the youth gets real ice time in Hartford.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 12:53 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
With Shanny out, our top 6 forwards are Jagr, Straka, Hossa, Nylander, Avery, and Prucha. Who gets knocked down to the 4th line so Callahan can get a shot? Bear in mind that every point in crucial right now. It's easy to say he deserves a shot at a top 6 role, but it's hard to find a spot for him.

I'd like to see some youth, but all that's open right now is the 4th line RW spot. Krog and Orr can fill that for now while the youth gets real ice time in Hartford.

I understand what you're saying. But for argument sake, if they were to do something like trade for Gary Roberts or Billy Guerin you don't think one of the top 6 you mentioned (probably Hossa) wouldn't get bumped? Of course I'm not making any comparisons because those guys are proven veterans, my gripe is that if this team needs to "reload" with Shanny down in order to stay in playoff contention, it should be done from within and done without all these boundaries and restrictions we've witnessed this year with the younger players.

Old
02-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Levitate

Prucha stepped in and played well in place of Shanahan...I don't think there's any need for a move at this moment

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Fletch

I'm fine with the top six...

if they want to call up a guy like Callahan to play the right side of Cullen with Ortmeyer playing the fourth line, instead of having Orr in the lineup, then that's a move I wouldn't mind. Other than that, I don't really see a reason to bump any of the current top six, and don't necessarily think it would be a waste for Callahan to come in and play the third line with Cullen and Dupuis.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:23 PM
92hatchattack

Lets face it guys, Renney thinks that Colton Orr is the Golden Chariot to the playoffs.

Seriously i dont mind colton playing. Lately hes shown some signs of inteligence on the ice.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:35 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

[QUOTE=92hatchattack;8153160]Lets face it guys, Renney thinks that Colton Orr is the Golden Chariot to the playoffs.
QUOTE]

Then why didn't he play Orr in the philly game lol?

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:35 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Why would you call anyone up? You have 4 solid lines. Prucha shouldn't be on the 4th line in the 1st place...so now he moves to where he belongs and Orr moves to where he belongs.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:37 PM
JamesG1221

The home and home could change some opinions. They put 2 pucks past Lalime Sunday and while a win is a win Let me see more then 1 or 2 against Marty over the next two games before saying I don't mind not seeing some tweaking of the lineup.

Old
02-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I don't really see a need for a roster move right now.

Losing Shanahan is going to hurt no matter what you do and it further hammers home the point about jumping out of the gate early and giving yourself a cushion for things like this happening.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:47 PM
clmetsfan

Count me among those who don't see a need to call anyone up just yet. There's no reason why Callahan or anyone else should be here to play on the second line instead of Prucha.

Petr's been getting relegated to 4th line duty way too much this year, and his scoring ability alongside Nylander should at least ease some of the pain from not having Shanny in the lineup.

And if you were to call up Callahan, what good would it do to put him on the 4th line with Betts and Hollweg? It's not like that line's gonna score anyway.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:50 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Why would you call anyone up?

Well with Malik out and only 6 defensman right now id say the only thing that comes into question is what happens if a defensman goes down in warmups or slips on the steps going up to the CAA?

I could see the need for maybe a Lampman or Baranka call-up for precautionary reasons, after all it is a big game. But Renney says "geographics" help, by having them on stand-by in Hartford. So if something does happen will probably see another last-second helicopter ride like Montoya enjoyed a few weeks back.
How prepared the player will be to play after that is beyond me.

Old
02-20-2007, 02:50 PM
big boi

sorry guys - off topic, but couldn't find a complimentary thread.

How has Jagr been this year? He's obviously had a drop off, but do you think it is attitude, or a decline in his ability?

Do you still expect him to be an elite player over the next 1 or 2 years?

Thanks.

big boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 02:54 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by big boi View Post
How has Jagr been this year? He's obviously had a drop off, but do you think it is attitude, or a decline in his ability?

Thanks.
I dont think its a lack of motivation, im sure his offseason surgery has set him back this year more than he had planned. It was a really devastating injury from what the docs said when they opened him up. I think its just an off year for him and im expecting him to have a better year next year, but with that said - hes on pace for 99-100 points. Thats pretty elite if you ask me.

Old
02-20-2007, 03:01 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I dont think its a lack of motivation, im sure his offseason surgery has set him back this year more than he had planned. It was a really devastating injury from what the docs said when they opened him up. I think its just an off year for him and im expecting him to have a better year next year, but with that said - hes on pace for 99-100 points. Thats pretty elite if you ask me.

Agreed. 100 points and this is being considered an off year for him. I'm curious to see what he brings in the next year or 2. His father told him he'll play his best hockey when he's 36-38 years old..I hope he's right..

Old
02-20-2007, 03:19 PM
TomLaidlaw

I am with everyone who doesn't think we need to call anyone up. I think Prucha slotted into Shannys spot is our best option at this point. I am fine with Orr as our winger on the 4th line, look what happened when he wasn't dressed against Philly. Even renney admitted his mistake for not dressing Orr. I expect to see alot of Colton Orr down the stretch as long as Shanny is out.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Agreed. 100 points and this is being considered an off year for him. I'm curious to see what he brings in the next year or 2. His father told him he'll play his best hockey when he's 36-38 years old..I hope he's right..
Jag's dad have any good Mega millions numbers for tonight?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 03:27 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Jag's dad have any good Mega millions numbers for tonight?

43 18 6 34 27

Old
02-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
43 18 6 34 27
Give me one more number - the Mega ball !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by big boi View Post

Thanks.
You know, both with Prucha and Jagr especially us Rangerfans should have seen it comming.

There are videos at youtube with all JJ's goals, haven't seen it in a while but atleast 30 of them comes from shots from just incredible angles& distances. He scored like 15-20 goals on wristers from out by the boards, and atleast 15 on slappers. Very few of them were giveme goals, he scored on so many plays that shouldn't even have been dangerous. And both Nylander and Straka were kind of snakebitten all season so it paid off better for Jags to shoot then pass.

Prucha is a kid who scored on everything last season, he scored on well over 20% of his shots, and this is a kid who aren't afraid to fire away or will look to pass. He scored on everything.

The marginals are so extremely small in hockey. Normally a good shooter scores on like 10-15% of his shots, thats 10 shots for one goal. And we all know how basically all shots that go in are extremely close to the goalie, or touches the goalie and goes in. Its millimeters we are talking about. If you got them against you, suddenly it takes 30 shots to score instead of 10. That affects the confidence, and it becomes a downward spiral.

Looking at it now, it weren't really reasonable to expect 50 and 30 again out of thoose two.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 05:01 PM
big boi

That's great guys thanks. Being on the west coast we don't hear a lot of what goes on out east. Yeah, being on pace for 100pts is certainly not chopped liver.

Jagr got a bit of a reputation in Washington four pouting and not playing as hard as he could, am glad to hear that is not the case in NY.

And other than off season surgery, he's been pretty healthy...ie recovering nicely?

Cheers.

big boi is offline   Reply With Quote