HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

(HF) Rohlfs interview coming soon...

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
(HF) Rohlfs interview coming soon...

... after dealing with Michigan's media people to get in touch with Dwight Helminen on Monday, I also booked David Rohlfs for this coming Monday as well.

I'm going to need questions for this player everyone because I have to admit to not having much info on him. He's not even in the media guide this year. He was Edmonton's 7th pick of the last draft, they got him in the middle of the 5th round. (ahead of Brodziak!)

He was awarded rookie of the week at one point this season but that may have been an internal Wolverines award, I have to find out from him for sure. ANYTHING else you guys want to know I encourage you to post here so I can ask him for you.

by the way, the Helminen interview will probably hit your screens on the weekend. I spoke with him yesterday and have it all transcribed but I'm going to be in Lethbridge until Thursday night so won't get it in to Holly until Friday. Sorry if you were waiting impatiently.

Old
12-10-2003, 05:47 AM
Funkymoses

that was a CCHA award, Guy.

I have some questions:

At what point did you begin to get recruited by Michigan? Were there other big time schools in the mix? You signed late, which sort of implies that you made a big step forward in the last year, do you think that's true?

Did you expect to get drafted? As high as you did?

How is the transition going from JrA to DI hockey going?

Are you working on your skating?

Old
12-10-2003, 06:27 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses
that was a CCHA award, Guy.
Trust the Funkyone to have the scoop on that... that's bud.

Terrific questions again, Helminen answered most of yours too (although he sidestepped the "who's faster" one).

Old
12-10-2003, 07:43 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

what is the timeline for you to become a pro?

Old
12-12-2003, 11:24 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

this thread got lost in all the Comrie crap... bump.

Old
12-12-2003, 12:36 PM
theoil

Hi Guy, I apologize if I just missed this but were you not collecting questions for an interview with some of the Oiler scouting staff a while back. Is that still on or did I snooze through it with all the uh "Comrie crap". You know, the only two advantages to old age are loss of memory and loss of hearing.

Old
12-12-2003, 01:05 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Hi Guy, I apologize if I just missed this but were you not collecting questions for an interview with some of the Oiler scouting staff a while back. Is that still on or did I snooze through it with all the uh "Comrie crap". You know, the only two advantages to old age are loss of memory and loss of hearing.
No, you're right I did do that. I actually attended two WHL games in the prescence of two Oilers scouts and had the opportuntiy to ask them for updates on several Oiler prospects. (One was Red Deer VS Regina and the other was Calgary VS Portland for those of you who were trying to figure that out back then) I also talked to one of the scouts about things like differences between today's scouting staff and the one the Oilers had under Barry Fraser. Stuff like that.

I've been using the notes from that weekend in the Q&A's you've seen lately. The comments I got from Bob Mancini and Chris McCarthy (the two Oiler scouts in question) that are in those Q&A's are from that weekend.

Is there a certain topic you want some info on or were you just waiting for a BIG article covering everything we discussed all in one? I'm not planning on doing that although I might still write a piece about the Fraser VS Prendergast days. It is interesting stuff, but I'd like to hear from another long time scout and more from K.P. himself first.

GuyF

Old
12-12-2003, 01:43 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
No, you're right I did do that. I actually attended two WHL games in the prescence of two Oilers scouts and had the opportuntiy to ask them for updates on several Oiler prospects. (One was Red Deer VS Regina and the other was Calgary VS Portland for those of you who were trying to figure that out back then) I also talked to one of the scouts about things like differences between today's scouting staff and the one the Oilers had under Barry Fraser. Stuff like that.

I've been using the notes from that weekend in the Q&A's you've seen lately. The comments I got from Bob Mancini and Chris McCarthy (the two Oiler scouts in question) that are in those Q&A's are from that weekend.

Is there a certain topic you want some info on or were you just waiting for a BIG article covering everything we discussed all in one? I'm not planning on doing that although I might still write a piece about the Fraser VS Prendergast days. It is interesting stuff, but I'd like to hear from another long time scout and more from K.P. himself first.

GuyF
I was just curious about the question that I submitted which I am certain is of no interest to anybody else on the planet but . . .

I understand that the Oilers developed (with another company) their own scouting software/hardware package about a year and a half ago and was wondering how the scouts liked using it.

Old
12-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

I just emailed one scout to see if I can get an answer for you.

Now... we need tog et back to the thread topic... I still need questions for David Rohlfs!!!

Old
12-12-2003, 02:23 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

a personal question for you guyf. how long have you been in devon? i spent about three years there from about oh this hurts a month after gretzky was traded and three months after the oilers won their last stanley cup. just curious.

Old
12-12-2003, 02:25 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

which player or players does his game emulate most?

Old
12-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
a personal question for you guyf. how long have you been in devon? i spent about three years there from about oh this hurts a month after gretzky was traded and three months after the oilers won their last stanley cup. just curious.
I've only been in Devon for a couple of years. Spruce for about 6 before that, St. Albert for 1, Edmonton for about 4 and then about 18 in Cold Lake (Grand Centre at one time) where I grew up.

Old
12-12-2003, 02:29 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

thanks guy just remember it was a nice town to grow up in.

Old
12-12-2003, 04:55 PM
momentai

Being a younger player, what do you think you need to improve to get to the level of some of the older players like Dwight Helminen or Jeff Tambellini? Consistency? Skating? etc.?

How do you think your game has progressed so far this year? Success or development wise...

Old
12-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
this thread got lost in all the Comrie crap... bump.
Lol!

Here's the background info on DR for those who want to know.

David Rohlfs
Position: RW
Height: 6-3
Weight: 219 lbs
Birthdate: 1984-06-04

2002-03, Compuware, NAHL, 53gp, 30g-13a-44pts, 36pims (44 pts? the addition is wrong or one of his stats is inaccurate)

Michigan: 14gp, 3-1-4pts, 6 pims

What is the strongest facet of your offensive game?

Describe the ideal type of center and left winger you would be on a line with.

Old
12-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
I was just curious about the question that I submitted which I am certain is of no interest to anybody else on the planet but . . .

I understand that the Oilers developed (with another company) their own scouting software/hardware package about a year and a half ago and was wondering how the scouts liked using it.

Ask and you shall receive. I emailed one of the Oiler scouts and he responded right away:

"yes, we have our own program, and it has been a work in progress, but it serves our needs. Sure, it could be better, but it does what we need it to do. We are fortunate we have been able to design the program to suit our specific needs, instead of using a mass-produced program."

Hope that answers your questions. I will not reveal who this was so don't ask.

Old
12-13-2003, 01:44 PM
theoil

Quote:
Ask and you shall receive. I emailed one of the Oiler scouts and he responded right away:

"yes, we have our own program, and it has been a work in progress, but it serves our needs. Sure, it could be better, but it does what we need it to do. We are fortunate we have been able to design the program to suit our specific needs, instead of using a mass-produced program."

Hope that answers your questions. I will not reveal who this was so don't ask.
Thanks, Guy, I appreciate that. I was wondering how the end-users were adapting to it. I don't know if you have ever seen what I am talking about but the next time you are with a scout you should ask them to show you their hand helds if you like that kind of thing. Personally I think it is too complicated but . . . In my experience anytime a software salesman tells you that the program has great flexibility get ready for a long learning curve. That said that programme can do amazing comparatives between players.

Old
12-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Thanks, Guy, I appreciate that. I was wondering how the end-users were adapting to it. I don't know if you have ever seen what I am talking about but the next time you are with a scout you should ask them to show you their hand helds if you like that kind of thing. Personally I think it is too complicated but . . . In my experience anytime a software salesman tells you that the program has great flexibility get ready for a long learning curve. That said that programme can do amazing comparatives between players.
lol, why do I get the feeling this means more to you than just casual curiosity? You wouldn't happen to be one of the programmers of said program would you? Or someone trying to get feedback on the program for a reason?

K.P., is that you?

Old
12-21-2003, 10:54 AM
theoil

Quote:
lol, why do I get the feeling this means more to you than just casual curiosity? You wouldn't happen to be one of the programmers of said program would you? Or someone trying to get feedback on the program for a reason?

K.P., is that you?
Well, I am totally flattered that you could confuse my uninformed ramblings with the knowledge that K.P. brings to the subject. It is no great mystery. I was approached by the company that developed the software to see if I would be interested in developing a marketing programme for the package. My reaction was that the programme is too complicated to market properly and I suggested a number of changes. I saw your post about interviewing scouts and thought I would see what they thought. I believe you have confirmed my suspicions. The programme is truly remarkable and if you were designing it for computer programmers I think it would be a big hit but most of us are not interested in how much a programme can do as much as how easily it can do what we want it to do if you follow me. In any case I believe that it all went for nothing at least for now because I was not interested unless they were prepared to re-write some of the code so that a normal person could find it more intuitive.

And now you know something about what I do.

Old
01-02-2004, 07:12 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but Guy did you get this interview done?

Old
01-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but Guy did you get this interview done?
Yes I did but unfortunately the was some technical problems with the recording and so only the second half of the discussion in really understandable on tape. I told the media relations dept at Michigan that if they let me talk to him again, I would later this season.

I have spoken to a couple scouts since then and might still have enough to write something up about him, just not in Q&A form.

Closed Thread