HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

HNIC INSIDE HOCKEY (Wade Redden)

Old
10-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Blazephr

vCash: 500
HNIC INSIDE HOCKEY (Wade Redden)

Redden a complicated cap victim....By Scott Morrison

Those who watched Redden on a regular basis would argue that he is as much a victim of his play as he is his contract. It's just that the dollar value extinguished any slim chance that may have existed of finding employment elsewhere. Even at half the salary, though, the Rangers would have shipped him down.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/scott...ap-victim.html

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 08:38 AM
FOXHOUND*

canadian media needs to get over this already. When he was on the Rangers, they took every chance they could to slag him and the contract. Now that they have gotten rid of him, they've turned him into a martyr.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I'm not so sure I agree with that last sentence. If he was making 3.25m a year I have a feeling he'd still be on this team at least for 1 more season.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:39 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I liked hearing Redden's view point. He knows what was going on. It must suck because as it sounds, he knew the game was slipping from him and the harder he tried to fight it, the more self-conscious he became with regard to his play.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:47 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

It wasn't a bad piece. Bill Daly was on NHL Live on Friday. He was asked about Redden and Souray. Daly said Redden wanted a NMC in the contract and the Rangers refused but Redden still signed the contract. Daly said Redden accepted the 6 year deal knowing that the possibility of him being sent to the minors was an option for the Rangers. He didn't use the words "buyer beware" but sort of indicated that was the case. Daly added that the NHLPA wanted just the players on the team to count against the salary cap. They didn't want all one way contracts to count regardless of where the player is playing. They got what they wanted. The NHLPA has not made a big stink about Redden,Souray and Nylander playing in the AHL. It's part of the system they wanted. How can they complain?Those players don't have to pay any escrow playing in the AHL. Those players are receiving their salaries.

Healy talked about Redden being in the AHL for two years. New CBA. New system. There will most likely be a compliance buyout period. Teams will be allowed to buyout a player and not have it count against the cap. Rangers bought out Holik. Wings bought out Hatcher. Pierre LeBrun brought up the compliance buyout period in the new CBA last winter.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 10:53 AM
CaptainCallahan*

Nice video. My opinion of Wade will not change; a really classy human being, but unfortunately, no longer a solid hockey player. Sure, maybe he could be a 3-6 defenseman on a team thin on the blueline, but it would have to be at a third of his salary. He is not a 'casualty of the salary cap' he is a casualty of a declining player being paid as if he was elite. The only travesty here is that this sudden decline of skills happened to a good person like Wade, instead of a selfish, lazy, me-first player with a poor attitude.

CaptainCallahan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Sports Archaeologist

Good video. The irony is that we could kind of use him right now on that hideous third pairing.

Sports Archaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCallahan View Post
Nice video. My opinion of Wade will not change; a really classy human being, but unfortunately, no longer a solid hockey player. Sure, maybe he could be a 3-6 defenseman on a team thin on the blueline, but it would have to be at a third of his salary. He is not a 'casualty of the salary cap' he is a casualty of a declining player being paid as if he was elite. The only travesty here is that this sudden decline of skills happened to a good person like Wade, instead of a selfish, lazy, me-first player with a poor attitude.
The real culprit is getting away scott free. hint, he's partial to cigars and golf courses.

However, Redden's not blameless.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Archaeologist View Post
The irony is that we could kind of use him right now on that hideous third pairing.
Bite your ***ing tongue.

Can you imagine if he had a no move clause and the Rangers were forced to play him for the next 4 years? He'd be attacked on the street.

And I don't care what Alfredsson says. He's not walking away from that money.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:05 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Bite your ***ing tongue.

Can you imagine if he had a no move clause and the Rangers were forced to play him for the next 4 years? He'd be attacked on the street.

And I don't care what Alfredsson says. He's not walking away from that money.
That is just a scary picture.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:25 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Good video. The irony is that we could kind of use him right now on that hideous third pairing.
Don't go that far just yet. Valentenko and McD still deserve looks there, which judging by the play of Eminger and Gilroy, they will be getting sooner rather than later.

rangers1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Sports Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1314 View Post
Don't go that far just yet. Valentenko and McD still deserve looks there, which judging by the play of Eminger and Gilroy, they will be getting sooner rather than later.
Yea obviously younger guys within the organization will get shots at those positions, but however good they are now, they are still inexperienced and don't add the veteran presence the blue line needs.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Healey was right when he said Redden's classy. I like the way he was talking in the interview and his tone didn't change when asked about the bitterness to the Rangers. In my opinion, that showed he was being honest about it.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2010, 01:37 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Yea obviously younger guys within the organization will get shots at those positions, but however good they are now, they are still inexperienced and don't add the veteran presence the blue line needs.
Forget veteran. how about just "good", no matter the age.

Old
10-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Sports Archaeologist

Quote:
Forget veteran. how about just "good", no matter the age.
Hear hear. But I doubt McD and Val are "good" enough to avoid the growing pains they, and the Rangers, will have to suffer through.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:00 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Hear hear. But I doubt McD and Val are "good" enough to avoid the growing pains they, and the Rangers, will have to suffer through.
I totally agree, however I'd much rather deal with the growing pains of Valentenko than watching Eminger or Gilroy

Old
10-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Sports Archaeologist

Quote:
I totally agree, however I'd much rather deal with the growing pains of Valentenko than watching Eminger or Gilroy
Hell ya, especially Eminger, ugh.

Old
10-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCallahan View Post
The only "travesty" is that he was signed as an elite defenseman when it was clear that his skills were already in a steady (and steep) decline. It was clear from the last two years he played in Ottawa that his skill-set not what it had been. But, I guess the man with the cigar was too busy on the golf course to notice.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote