HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Sean Avery Mancrush Thread

Old
03-22-2007, 06:29 AM
gaglinefan

vCash: 500
Sean Avery

Please sign me up...

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 06:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsjimster View Post
Will he be back next year?
Avery will be a group II this summer.He is due a $1.1 million QO to retain his rights.Avery can be a group III/UFA next summer-2008 if he signs only a one year deal this summer.Do the Rangers sign Avery 2/3 year deal rather than the 1 year deal?It's risky

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 07:06 AM
Angels for Everyone

the thing about Avery is that he can start to grate after a while..

signing him to a 3/4 year deal may be a mistake..

i think one of the things that most people don't know about Sean Avery is that when he was traded from the Wings, for Schneider, Scotty Bowman REALLY didn't want him to go, and he fought very hard to keep him. However the Kings would only trade Schneider if Avery was part of the deal. When the greatest coach in the history of the NHL really doesn't want to lose a 2nd year Sophmore, then you can tell he's going to be someone. It's VITAL though that Shanny stays, because without veteran leadership Avery could quite easily go off the rails like he did in LA

Angels for Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:37 PM
blandBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar Pharazon View Post

signing him to a 3/4 year deal may be a mistake..

i think one of the things that most people don't know about Sean Avery is that when he was traded from the Wings, for Schneider, Scotty Bowman REALLY didn't want him to go, and he fought very hard to keep him. However the Kings would only trade Schneider if Avery was part of the deal. When the greatest coach in the history of the NHL really doesn't want to lose a 2nd year Sophmore, then you can tell he's going to be someone. It's VITAL though that Shanny stays, because without veteran leadership Avery could quite easily go off the rails like he did in LA

Avery is a keeper, in my mind. It's really nice when you pick up a talented but controversial (read pain in the butt, liability, etc) player just when they are growing up and learning some lessons about responsibility. I think Avery is that kind of guy. I just get so happy when I see SCRAPPY but talented players on the Rangers, same reason I love Prucha. They used to have them when I first started rooting for the Blueshirts a long time ago, and whenever they've been a good team and an actual threat, they had a good balance of finesse and grit. Avery is invaluable to the Rangers, I'd give him the benefit of any doubt based on his past.

blandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Pizza

Nice one Pogue. Well said. I think the Rangers timing on Avery may be just right. The guy is just blowing the minds of so many Rangers fans. It's truly amazing how well he is playing night after night.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 03:14 PM
paintballruler*

2 goal night the last game, and the 1st star. I would sign him for 2 years 2.5 mil

paintballruler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar Pharazon View Post
If he were a wiley veteran I might agree, but it looks like we picked him up at just the right time, and with Shanny and a few other even heads on board he's only gonna mature faster. I'd sign him for at least 3 years if the money is right.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 04:10 PM
nyrangerfan68

Send a message via AIM to nyrangerfan68
just ordered my avery jersey, so he better resign

nyrangerfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:38 AM
blue2noise

Resuming my tradition of bumping the Avery mancrush before each BIG game.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 05:34 AM
hdw

Sean Avery article in Todays Expressen.se

http://expressen.se/sport/ishockey/nhl/1.610399

Where he's noted as the only player who has got Forsberg pissed off enough to drop his gloves.

(Not that they got much chance of doing anything, every Avs player on the ice interfered to protect Foppa from himself )

The last part of the article is funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by expressen.se_translated
Henrik Lundqvist is diplomatic when describing Avery.
- He came to us at the right time. He is new face and he talks quite a lot, which was just what we needed.
But as hockeyplayer?
- He is hot-tempered, has good speed and has added an edgier game. He has put some life back in our guys.
Not a shy newbie in the locker room, in other words?
- Nah, he picks his share there too. Avery is a bit special. But a funny guy.

But Foppa answers like this when it comes to Avery's hockey qualities.
- I don't know if he adds anything to his team.
It kind of sums it up.
He's a player that is called "energy boost" and "funny" when he's on your team.
But "pest" and "trash talking moron" when he's on anyone elses team

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or at least in the jersey he currently wears

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 06:24 AM
Chimp

A complete translation.

http://expressen.se/sport/ishockey/nhl/1.610399

He's what Foppa hates the most

LOS ANGELES. Sean Avery is the most hated player in NHL. Not even all his teammates like him. He's also the only player ever that made Peter Forsberg to drop his gloves - and fight.
- It was about time to show that I have had enough, says Foppa.

It was in an exhibition game (preseason) when Forsberg still played with Colorado when the Super Swede had enough of Sean Avery - and attacked him with his fists.
- He went around being busy with his usual thing. He was only in the way, says Foppa.
Forsberg's teammates were quickly there to back up their Swedish star center.
- We didn't get much time to fight that much, there were alot of people interfering. But it's the only time during all my years in NHL when I have dropped the gloves, Foppa tells.

Pack of energy
Sean Avery's a Canadian pack of energy that in a few years has gone up the throne as the worst agitator in NHL. He would eat guys like Lance Ward, Andreas Jämtin and Per Ledin for breakfast (Swedish agitators in SEL). Avery's trashtalk never silences. He also follows up his verbal spit with a very aggressive game.

Ugly slashes with the stick
Hard checks. Ugly slashes with the stick. Facewashes. He's not a large player, so he doesn't jump the big enforcers of the league. But Avery doesn't back off if he gets jumped.
A typhical Avery story:
When Johan Hedberg played in Dallas last season he could hear Avery before a face off, yelling across the face off circle to his opponent Nathan Perrott:
"Oh my god! How the hell could they let you out on the ice? What a joke!"
Avery's "hobby" is also to run goalies.
- There are many who want to beat him to death, but I think he's pretty funny to listen to, says Hedberg.

"You shouldn't bother"
The Swedish goalie of Atlanta knows how to avoid Sean Avery:
- The trick is not to bother. But it's hard, he's a master at annoying people. Yeah, he can annoy a whole team. But I think he's a damn good hockey player too.

Mattias Norström was a teammate with Avery during several season in Los Angeles, where the feelings about Avery in the dressing room were split.
- I've spent many dinners during away games with Sean and between four eyes he's a good person. But he's had a hard time learning that no individual is bigger than the team.
Does he play theater on the ice?
- How much that's a chock factor and how much that is planned you can always discuss. He wants to be different and he has discovered he has an ability to get under the skin of his opponents.

Traded from Los Angeles
Avery was traded from Kings to New York Rangers earlier this winter. Henrik Lundqvist is diplomatic when he describes Avery.
- He came at the right moment for us. He's a new face and he talks pretty much, which was exactly what we needed.
And as a hockey player?
- Irascible, has good speed and has added a more feisty game (for us). He has put life into our old timers.
No shy newcomer in the dressing room, with other words?
- No, he takes up his share pretty well there too. Avery's a little special. But he's a fun guy.

But Foppa answers like this on the question about the hockey qualities of Avery:
- I don't know if he does any good for his team.

Sean Avery's worst scandals during the former season.
*Called Edmonton black star Georges Laraque "monkey". Something Avery denied.

*Blamed to be a racist since he accused the french canadian players of the league to be cowards since Phoenix defenseman Denis Gauthier checked Jeremy Roenick so hard that the Kings forward has a concussion.

*Jumped the NHL board to be incompetent since they fined him for diving.

*Attacked expert commentator and former NHL goalie Brian Hayward to be the reason the league doesn't have a TV contract in United States. "You suck as much in TV as you did on the ice." The comment was close to erupt a brawl in the dressing room afterwards when Hayward replied: "How can you know that? When I played you repeated 8th grade - for the third time."

Last edited by Chimp: 03-26-2007 at 06:51 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

He's my little Satan

FACEBOOK
TWITTER
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 07:19 AM
XploD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
A typhical Avery story:
When Johan Hedberg played in Dallas last season he could hear Avery before a face off, yelling across the face off circle to his opponent Nathan Perrott:
"Oh my god! How the hell could they let you out on the ice? What a joke!"

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
His running the goalies has got to stop. He 'fell' on Dipietro's head again yesterday. It's just a matter of time before the Rangers get burned with a stupid penalty or some team retaliates by 'falling' on Henrik and seriously injuring him. Without Lundqvist the only thing this team has a chance of winning is the draft lottery and none of Avery's supporters will be able to whine when Henrik gets carried off the ice.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:10 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
His running the goalies has got to stop. He 'fell' on Dipietro's head again yesterday. It's just a matter of time before the Rangers get burned with a stupid penalty or some team retaliates by 'falling' on Henrik and seriously injuring him. Without Lundqvist the only thing this team has a chance of winning is the draft lottery and none of Avery's supporters will be able to whine when Henrik gets carried off the ice.

I agree, but not about the incident yesterday. Watching the replay, you could also see DP throw his stick into Avery's skate blades while he also had a guy on his back. Not too surprising to see him fall forward in that scenario. Now, I'm sure Sean didn't exactly try to avoid falling on DP, but it's not like he went out of his way to either.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 09:00 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
I agree, but not about the incident yesterday. Watching the replay, you could also see DP throw his stick into Avery's skate blades while he also had a guy on his back. Not too surprising to see him fall forward in that scenario. Now, I'm sure Sean didn't exactly try to avoid falling on DP, but it's not like he went out of his way to either.
Can't say I love Avery regardless of what jersey he wears but I agree that it wasn't much he could have done yesterday.

If the D that was clinging to his back wanted to protect his goalie he probably shouldn't have piled up on top ...

"Whoa! That pest Avery is on DP's head! I know! I'll retiliate by adding another 250 pounds on top!"

I think that we can assume that both of 'em fell.

Old
03-26-2007, 09:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I don't think it matters. Avery is never going to get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to penalties like that. Rather have him keep playing his game and be effective.

03-26-2007, 09:14 AM
ECL
If it weren’t for me

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Wah wah wah. He does what he does and he does it good.

It won't stop and it shouldn't stop.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 09:31 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
- Irascible, has good speed and has added a more feisty game (for us). He has put life into our old timers.
Henrik Lundqvist is a very smart man.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:06 PM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
avery video

this is from when he was on the kings but it a great video if u love Avery's game http://youtube.com/watch?v=LJ9kx-U_ka8

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:44 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
*Blamed to be a racist since he accused the french canadian players of the league to be cowards since Phoenix defenseman Denis Gauthier checked Jeremy Roenick so hard that the Kings forward has a concussion.
I noted this one and giggled.
I guess that it's my limited little non-canadian mind but I find it hilarious to call an attack on french (canadian) players as 'rascist'.

I know that the french always tend to be a bit different, and they make wierd cars, but I didn't know that 'french' was a race

Old
04-01-2007, 10:10 AM
towely

just figured i would keep the mancrush alive in the spirit of the game at hand and hope he does his magic of aggitation in tonights game.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:07 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by towely View Post
just figured i would keep the mancrush alive in the spirit of the game at hand and hope he does his magic of aggitation in tonights game.
If he was the only one to make Foppa go bonkers I'd wonder if he can do the same with Sudden

Not that I'm sure it would be that smart to have Captian Crunchies go bonkers on you, he's a tad bigger than Foppa.

But it'll be a game to watch, that's for sure.

Old
04-01-2007, 11:40 AM
NYROrtsFan

I'm hopeful that Avery stops with the 1 awful turnover a game streak... Find myself cringing lately at some of the turnovers.

He's been great for the team though. Hopefully he continues to try getting better because he has even better upside.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 06:58 PM
RedLightDistrict

Nice fight w/ Tucker in the first! Avery is the man.

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote